• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega to cut 300 jobs (heavily arcade/pub staff), refocusing on digital/mobile/PC [Up]

Sega? Whatever. The only interesting thing they make is Yakuza and they do their best not to sell it to me.

Is Atlus ok? Thats the real worry.

Opiate

This is a late-to-the-party article with nothing new to add to what Sega already announced earlier. Note that the author writes "seems" because they don't have any new facts.

Right, this is not new news. We had a thread on this basic subject already.

Dr. Buni

Funny how to some people SEGA focusing on PC equals the death of the company :p

Hope they still develop some great games here and there, although if they are mobile games I will not be able to play them, but still.

Foshy

Y'all should have bought their games. Their good ones never got the sales they needed.

Alien Isolation underperforming really stings. Not being able to get satisfying sales out of a AAA western focused game (that also was really really good) probably impacted that decision.

"Just kidding! Here is our new console the SEGA SPECTRUM! This console will directly compete with current generation consoles, with launch titles such as Sonic Adventure 3, Shenmue 3, Streets of Rage 4, Burning Rangers HD, as well as support from third parties such as Marvel vs Capcom 4, Metal Gear Solid 5, and Resident Evil 7!"

-my dream

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
They have been a really good PC developer thus far. I'm okay with this. But...no more Sonic on consoles? Wow. But the thought of them possibly bringing over ports of Yakuza series on PC is glorious. I bet it would sell really well!

Chastten

Banned
So, does this really change anything? Their console output has been pretty minimal for a number of years now, hasn't it?

Think I only got a couple of Sonic games from them in the past 10 years. I got a lot of GameCube and Xbox games from them, but after that it kinda dried up.

*edit* crap, can't believe I forgot about Valkyria Chronicles. Now that was a nice game, but it wasn't gonna get a proper sequel anyways, so...

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
No more Vectorman, Sonic, Virtua Fighter, Altered Beast, Shining Force, Phantasy Star, NiGHTS, Panzer Dragoon, Yakuza, Shenmue, Jet Grind Radio, Streets of Rage, Shinobi, ect.

How can a company with so many amazing IP's constantly run itself into the ground like this. I'm more than sad, i'm pissed.

Edit: ok. they aren't completely out thank goodness, but definitely not the same.

Hexa

Well this is unfortunate. I guess at this point they're dead to me.

Why the fuck did they buy index?

Opiate

Follow the link chain, guys. This isn't bogus, but it's not entirely accurate, either.

Sega has made it clear for some time now that they plan on scaling back console development and focusing on mobile and PC. That's different than saying "no console games ever," and it's also not new news.

junpei

what does this mean for atlus ? why did they buy them if the are going to focus on mobile . Sega has great franchises that are going to waste away .

Eusis

Old
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=982427
+ that site is exaggerating things a little.

Precisely.

This is old, inaccurate and hyperbolic.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=990581
The stuff I wanted to find. Leaving entirely is too ridiculous, but it is known they'd dial things down which is still pretty bad potentially, but could still work out if either A. it cuts out most of the garbage, and/or B. it leaves the door open for re-expansion should the climate favor console developer more than mobile again.

Nevermind the form of their PC support, some of that may just be pragmatic to take to consoles anyway, if it's not just some F2P browser stuff but more, say, PSO2.

Opiate

Funny how to some people SEGA focusing on PC equals the death of the company :p

Hope they still develop some great games here and there, although if they are mobile games I will not be able to play them, but still.

Yeah. For some people, games which aren't on consoles basically don't exist.

Velurian

Sadness. Sega has some awesome stuff. Focusing on mobile or online pc sounds very bad. But I guess that part of gaming will too evolve if real game makers conribute...

Cmagus

Well this sucks but not surprising it's been coming for a long time now. Honestly they can still be successful on console but the way they have been managing their games has been rather pathetic as of late.

I'm still holding out for a western release of PSO2 but it's looking grim as they really seem to not care about they western audience anymore they haven't for awhile.

FluxWaveZ

what does this mean for atlus ? why did they buy them if the are going to focus on mobile . Sega has great franchises that are going to waste away .

That's not what this is about or what is happening. Atlus will continue making the games they make.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
So, on the one hand, we already knew this--Sega is moving away from console games development towards mobile and PC. The remaining console games they make will be surefire hits in their biggest IPs, and they'll be few and far between.

But on the other hand, this article doesn't seem to be reacting to any new event. Like, it doesn't seem like Sega has taken a step towards that process today. It seems like "RocketNews24" has republished a Yahoo News Japan article which in turn was syndicated to JapanToday?

I would seriously caution against reading the headline and assume "today's the day they release no more console games" versus as recognizing the ongoing process.

RedToad64

It isn't. They're just focusing on Mobile and PC.
Any large video game corporation that was making amazing systems and games a mere fifth teen years ago and have decided to focus on mobile is a dead company in my eyes. Of course, their PC output has been good so maybe I'm exaggerating a bit.

Aki-at

There was nothing to suggest SEGA would drop console development, however they are likely to increase resources spend towards mobile and PC gaming. Big hitters like Persona, Sonic, Miku, Ryu Ga Gotoku etc, the safe bets basically, will continue to have a console presence but that's about it.

Risky ventures are clearly off the table, though they have been since Binary Domain flopped 3 years ago.

Top Bottom