• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seinfeld ends in 1998. Two and a Half Men debuts in 2003.

SJRB

Gold Member
Are we gonna pretend the first couple of seasons of Two and a Half Men wasn’t great comedy?

Can’t compare the two either way, completely different style of humour.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Are we gonna pretend the first couple of seasons of Two and a Half Men wasn’t great comedy?
fcad5e8e-c7dc-4e3a-9578-e63e2372d606_text.gif

Friends, and Frasier were at their peak. Will & Grace and Everybody Lover Raymond hit their stride.

TV changed with the rise of “snarky” with the popularity of MTV show’s, South Park, Will & Grace, Raymond, Futurama, Scrubs, Curb your Enthusiasm, Family Guy.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I think it was mass amounts of cord cutting. I remember watching Seinfeld and really enjoying it. Then I remember not having cable at all and seeing my grandma watch 2 and a half men when I went to visit.

Quasicat

Jerry Seinfeld said in an interview that Seinfeld worked because of the cast and the consistency with the writing. Two and a Half Men was the same way for the first several seasons when the cast and the writing was consistent. It started to unravel once the show moved away from the original formula.

I think Seinfeld is better between the two, but Two and a Half Men has its moments until it started losing its cast and the writing team moved on to different projects.

StueyDuck

Seinfeld was peak comedy. Nothing has come close IMO.
And it was, at the same time, a masterclass in writing too.
I can see arguments for both seinfeld and friends depending on the person/age etc.

but lets not forget about one of the all time greats, only fools and horses. (unless this has to be american)

if we allowing adult cartoons then seasons 3- 8 of simpsons is still some of the funniest shit ever put to tv

Last edited:

Ribi

2 and a half men fucking sucked. It was awful TV and I wanted to walk into traffic anytime it was placed onto my TV

Last edited:

Papa_Wisdom

I can see arguments for both seinfeld and friends depending on the person/age etc.

but lets not forget about one of the all time greats, only fools and horses. (unless this has to be american)

if we allowing adult cartoons then seasons 3- 8 of simpsons is still some of the funniest shit ever put to tv
Or red dwarf.
SApsFxI.jpg

Also OP you are skipping things great shows like Malcolm in the Middle and Scrubs which were in the early 2000s as well
Scrubs (2001-2010) was a consistently entertaining series. I liked it better than the misanthropic and cynical humor throughout Seinfeld (1988-1989). Could never bear to watch a full episode of Two and a Half Men (2003-2015) or The Office (2005-2013).

Personally, to me the last great comedy series was Taxi (1978-1983). It had the right mix of optimism and light-hearted humor.

StueyDuck

Scrubs (2001-2010) was a consistently entertaining series. I liked it better than the misanthropic and cynical humor throughout Seinfeld (1988-1989). Could never bear to watch a full episode of Two and a Half Men (2003-2015) or The Office (2005-2013).

Personally, to me the last great comedy series was Taxi (1978-1983). It had the right mix of optimism and light-hearted humor.

Taxi is great, I'd also throw cheers into that bucket.

Then like if you wanna venture out of that you can get shows like wings

Denton

I enjoyed Seinfeld. I enjoyed Two and a Half Men (watched it for the first time few months back, actually). Kandi was the best.

Neither are as good as Red Dwarf or Curb You Enthusiasm though, as far as I am concerned.

And Lorre's best show is Young Sheldon (imagine my shock). Although I have yet to see Dharma and Greg.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
What the fuck is wrong with Two and Half Men other then then when Charlie left.
Season 1-8 was great and it wasn't that bad until the last two seasons
And I loved this woman R.I.P
She was hilarious
definitely someone I'd get along with real life
two-and-a-half-men-berta.jpg

And obviously really loved Kandi, she might be dumb but she is so cute with it too
comment_1614141214MgnYBdag1rJPARd8EdHCd5.gif

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
Where does "Saved by the Bell" fit in this pantheon of TV comedy gods?

And don't even bring up Degrassi, we are all good pagans here :p

at one point peak Frasier, Friends, Seinfeld, and ER were on at the same time.

I don't think Seinfeld will ever be bettered.

Last edited:

thefool

Entertainment is a lot less funny that it was. We are going through a dark age, fun is absolutely not allowed.

JSHWnPo.png

Pimpbaa

Two and a Half Men had Megan Fox before she ruined herself with plastic surgery. She might have been underage, I’m not sure.

Soodanim

I have never seen the appeal of Seinfeld. It just isn't funny to me. I like comedies from before Seinfeld, and I like comedies after Seinfeld. I even enjoy what I've seen of Curb Your Enthusiasm, which deserves a special mention given the context. But Seinfeld? No thank you.

Top Bottom