• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sell me on buying a WiiU

impact

Banned
I think I might have to dive in here... I really miss Nintendo these days and this seems like the best way to revisit old NES, SNES and N64 classics while still being able to finally play Galaxy and the like.

If you have a decent PC you should play Galaxy on Dolphin. It controls better on a 360 pad and is one of the best looking, if not the best looking emulated game. Looks way better than SM3DW.

izOovmgMW2IQj.png

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
If you have a decent PC you should play Galaxy on Dolphin. It controls better on a 360 pad and is one of the best looking, if not the best looking emulated game. Looks way better than SM3DW.

I have a new rMBP that runs Dolphin very well but I hate gaming on a computer.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
All of that for $650? It looks like the games alone might run you more than that if you were to buy it all normally.

Atram

Sell the Controllers no one needs 13 Controllers xD

Keep 4 Wii Motes + Nunchuk, the Classic Pad for Wii Games, maybe 2 Pro Controllers and sell the rest.

Corpekata

Banned
Good deal on paper but full of a lot of extra crap. Unless you're gonna be using 8 wiimotes and have a burning desire to play some middling third party ports. If you're planning to ebay stuff, sure.

parcali

Neo Member
All of that for $650? It looks like the games alone might run you more than that if you were to buy it all normally.

It was 720$ with 8 wiimote and 3 pro controller.
I am getting it with 4 wiimote ant 2 pro controller for 650$

yes all games.

70$ discount for a pro controller and 4 wiimote
it is ok for me, i m not going to use them either.

overcast

For those that played a few versions, is Deus Ex HR on the Wii U worth it? My brother loved it for 360, but we traded in our 360 towards a Wii U (grabbing it by Black Friday).

Would love to experience the game, but if I must I'll wait.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
For those that played a few versions, is Deus Ex HR on the Wii U worth it? My brother loved it for 360, but we traded in our 360 towards a Wii U (grabbing it by Black Friday).

Yes, definitely. The Deus Ex HR port is one of the best ports on Wii U if not the best. Using the Gamepad in this game feels very natural.

SmokeMaxX

It was 720$ with 8 wiimote and 3 pro controller.
I am getting it with 4 wiimote ant 2 pro controller for 650$

yes all games.

70$ discount for a pro controller and 4 wiimote
it is ok for me, i m not going to use them either.
IMO get them all for $720 then sell the Wii remotes and the Pro controller on the Buy/Sell/Trade thread. You'd get more than $70 for them.

TBH though, not sure if the games are worth the ~$300 premium on the price. Are you interested in playing all of them?

So my PS3 recently died but I'm in no real rush to get another PS3 just yet, instead going to wait for a price drop.

I have been thinking of getting a Wii-U though so have a few questions

• Whats the difference between the 8GB and 32G models other than storage?
  • Can you play Bluray movies on it and if not is there any rumoured updates planned for it?
  • Can i add an external hard drive to it and play my .avi files/view pics etc like you can on a PS3?
  • In Fact how does it compare to the PS3 with media functionality?
  • Does the Controller Pro work for all Wii-U games
  • Since this is B/C with the Wii can i play Wii-U games like Mario galaxy with the Controller pro?
  • Can all games been played remotely on the Tablet controller?

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Why would someone who doesn't care about Nintendo games buy a system that has nothing but Nintendo games?

selective quoting will make it difficult to make a point:

I have never really been a Nintendo gamer, so don't quite know what I'm missing.

he doesn't know what he's missing, not that he doesn't care.

also, cool username bruh

The only thing dolphin smg got on 3D world is resolution. 3D world looks absolutely nuts. The final bowser fight is glorious.

QaaQer

The only thing dolphin smg got on 3D world is resolution. 3D world looks absolutely nuts. The final bowser fight is glorious.

Hardly.

SMG1&2 let the designer's and artist's imaginations run wild. You never knew what was coming next in terms of mechanics or environments. SMW is really pedestrian in comparison.

and edit: as to the op's question, only buy one if you really like Nintendo games and already have a gaming pc and have played the wii catalogue on dolphin plus a 3ds.

Wii U is only really for Ninty die-hards.

You'll miss out on some great games if you don't buy a WiiU, they may not pack the same technical punch as games on other plattforms but they are fun to play, you could argue they are even more fun to play than what you get on other plattforms right now... but that's subjective of course!

Marceles

I just got my bonus and feel like buying myself a present. I have a PS3,PS4,360 and X1. I already owned a wii but lost it in a break up, though I still have Metroid Prime Trilogy Mario Galaxy and Xenoblade, none of which I have played.

Is it worth buying a WiiU? What are the games I should play that I can't get anywhere else? I have never really been a Nintendo gamer, so don't quite know what I'm missing.

Cheers in advance.

Might as well complete the trifecta if you can.

My selling pitch is there WILL be a time where you get sick of playing those 4 systems you own, and the Wii U will be there and give you the fun you've been looking for. Even if it's not for that long, it's a good way to reset what you think you enjoy about games.

I think that's the biggest point about the Wii U. It kind of has it's own thing going for it that you might think the other systems can already give you immediately, but once you play it you realize they might not. It could be just playing from your gamepad and using the touchscreen, or how happy and pleasant the game you're playing is. You've been shooting monsters for weeks and sometimes you just want to jump on someones head, or take 100 of your cpu buddies and beat the hell out of a boss in a cool way on Wonderful 101. It's a really good "buddy" system. Like...if you own a next gen system or PC and a Wii U, you're pretty satisfied, at least I am.

Nearly 2 hours and nobody bothered yet...*sigh*

So my PS3 recently died but I'm in no real rush to get another PS3 just yet, instead going to wait for a price drop.

• Whats the difference between the 8GB and 32G models other than storage? White vs. Black. Also the NNP/DDP promo only applies to premium systems, this promo is coming to an end soon (end of 2014) and so it is unlikely the savings will offset the cost
  • Can you play Bluray movies on it and if not is there any rumoured updates planned for it? No to both. Shame as it would make a good buying point for some on the fence
  • Can i add an external hard drive to it and play my .avi files/view pics etc like you can on a PS3? Nope. External drives can be used only for games and are formatted using a propriety format (making the hard drive useless for anything else)
  • In Fact how does it compare to the PS3 with media functionality? The web browser is better than the PS3 (protip, use youtube in the Wii U browser, it is better than the youtube app). You have things like Netflix and Amazon instant too on Wii U. So depends on how you consume media really.
  • Does the Controller Pro work for all Wii-U games Erm...Wikipedia this one
  • Since this is B/C with the Wii can i play Wii-U games like Mario galaxy with the Controller pro? No Wii BC only supports controllers originally used with the games (NOA sell refurbished remote plus and nuchucks for pretty cheap, they sometimes put the motion sensor in upside down in these so need testing)
  • Can all games been played remotely on the Tablet controller? I would say almost all. Some Nintendo Land attractions do not as they show different perspectives (the F-Zero styled one for instance shows top-down view on the Gamepad for instance)

Mithos

• Can i add an external hard drive to it and play my .avi files/view pics etc like you can on a PS3?
  • In Fact how does it compare to the PS3 with media functionality?

I might have missed it already been posted, but (oh and yeah, it's not a game but still)...

Indie developer Helix Games (Don't Touch Anything Red for Wii U), are looking into making a Media Player for Wii U.
What do you think about it? I've always said why isn't anyone doing a Media Player for Wii U, now someone is looking into it.

Reddit AMA
Miiverse interview with developer @ Helix Games

Bailey Earley's twitter, developer at Helix Games

And the latest info known... "working on it".
https://twitter.com/BaileyEarley/status/503000347829207043

Malio

Unless sales pick up drastically (they won't), 3rd party support, other than kiddie friendly games, are about to dry up almost completely (they will), If you're good with that, buy one.

I've had it for over a year and I own 9 games for it. I mostly play my Wii games on it. :/

and edit: as to the op's question, only buy one if you really like Nintendo games and already have a gaming pc and have played the wii catalogue on dolphin plus a 3ds.

I disagree. The games may not be for everyone and lack the mainstream appeal of Fifa and Call of Duty, but short selling the system with Bayonetta 1&2, W101,ZombiU, The Devils Third (#believe), XenobladeX (maybe/ likely Fatal Frame 5) and by all metrics unique games like Captain Toad and Splatoon as

"only for Ninty die-hards" feels disingenious.
Yes, the last 3 won´t come this year.

Especially when you can get if for cheap (200$ through Nintendo).

Hardly.

SMG1&2 let the designer's and artist's imaginations run wild. You never knew what was coming next in terms of mechanics or environments. SMW is really pedestrian in comparison.

Hell nah, 3D world looks better. Artistically subjective but the added polygons do wonders for the artsyle Nintendo set to achieve with the game.

PARANO1A

This thread is pretty much tipping me over the edge. In Australia the WiiU Mario Kart 8 bundle is $419 (~$380USD) so I'm keeping an eye on specials.

In terms of getting a couple of experiences that will be different for me vs what I have - is it a fair statement that picking up W101, MK8 and Mario World are generally the most recommended pickups? Bearing in mind I'm a single player gamer primarily.

This thread is pretty much tipping me over the edge. In Australia the WiiU Mario Kart 8 bundle is $419 (~$380USD) so I'm keeping an eye on specials.

In terms of getting a couple of experiences that will be different for me vs what I have - is it a fair statement that picking up W101, MK8 and Mario World are generally the most recommended pickups? Bearing in mind I'm a single player gamer primarily.

Add Zombi U and you are good to go.

It is one of the scariest games in recent years.

Edit: ^ Wind Waker is 30fps

BratmanDu

Add Zombi U and you are good to go.

It is one of the scariest games in recent years.

Some of my Zombi U screens:

It's a scary game, death is permanent and you'll lose all your stuff (unless your next character can retrieve your bag from your now dead and zombified previous character). The gamepad beeping like the motion sensor in Aliens is intense.

Taking on more than one z at a time is pretty nerve wracking, it took me ages before I was brave enough to leave the catwalks and go down into this area:
zMrb3c0.jpg

Few of my shots have actual zombies because it's so scary when one is approaching but here's a nice one:
c5xzehN.jpg

alf717

Yes, definitely. The Deus Ex HR port is one of the best ports on Wii U if not the best. Using the Gamepad in this game feels very natural.

Its worth it and the price is low. Amazon sells it for $13.94 excluding tax and shipping. I grabbed a new copy off of eBay cheap for like $12 - $13. I played the game on PC both vanilla and the director's cut before I played the Wii U version. All content from previous versions is there in the Wii U version and if you are into the whole achievement thing they are in as well. The game itself is really fun and going from a constant 45- 60FPS on the PC to whatever the Wii U can handle still felt fluid and didn't bother me at all.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Hardly.

Have you played or even seen 3Dworld? There was something new every level.

cackhyena

Hardly.

This is bullshit, anyone looking into a Wii U. The system and games available are better than people give them credit for.

Top Bottom