• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Senate confirms Steven Mnuchin as treasury secretary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tovarisc

The Senate voted Monday to confirm former Goldman Sachs executive Steven Mnuchin as the next treasury secretary, the latest Cabinet member to be approved after a lengthy and at times contentious confirmation process.

The vote was 53-47, mostly along party lines, with Sen. Joe Manchin the lone Democrat voting yes.

Senators then began voting on Trump's pick to run the Department of Veterans Affairs, David Shulkin, Monday evening.

Republicans lauded Mnuchin's lengthy experience in the field.

"Mr. Mnuchin has 30 years of experience working in a variety of capacities in the financial sector," said Senate Finance Chairman Orrin Hatch, a Utah Republican. "He has experience managing large and complicated private-sector enterprises and in negotiating difficult compromises and making tough decisions -- and being accountable for those decisions. Mr. Mnuchin is clearly qualified to serve as secretary of the United States Treasury."

The Mnuchin fight has lacked some of the last-minute theatrics that marked confirmation battles last week -- including a string of protests against Education Secretary Betsy DeVos and a surprising rebuke of Sen. Elizabeth Warren in the fight over Attorney General Jeff Sessions.

Instead, all eyes are on Labor nominee Andrew Puzder, who will come up for a confirmation hearing Thursday, almost one week after revelations that he had hired an undocumented worker to do housework for him. That revelation has led Democrats to call for his removal as nominee, but top Republicans have stood firm behind Puzder. The main focus will be on rank-and-file Republicans, and whether they change their minds on him.

Source: http://edition.cnn.com/2017/02/13/p...te-confirmation-vote-david-shulkin/index.html

Edit: AP Politics
BREAKING: Senate confirms President Donald Trump's pick of VA undersecretary David Shulkin to lead Department of Veterans Affairs.

https://twitter.com/AP_Politics/status/831306883407413248

gruenel

HnlNlzr.png

Tommy DJ

What is up with this damn Joe Manchin guy?

He's serving West Virginia. Aren't going to get further left than him, let's be honest.

Though I dunno why he voted for with Mnuchin...I can't imagine West Virginia caring much about the finance industry.

ICO_SotC

I love how the media barely even cover these confirmation hearings anymore. Just the eventual, inevitable confirmations.

It's like there's this unspoken understanding that the hearings are a farce, the nominees are uniformly terrible, but there's no way to "both sides do it" the story, so it's on to the next thing.

Kevinroc

I love how the media barely even cover these confirmation hearings anymore, just the eventual, inevitable confirmations.

It's like there's this unspoken understanding that the hearings are a farce, the nominees are uniformly terrible, but there's no way to "both sides do it" the story, so it's on to the next thing.

Once the Senate confirmed DeVos despite the massive public opposition to her it was all over.

What is up with this damn Joe Manchin guy?

West Virginia. If he joins the rest of the left, hell, if most west virginia dems do that, they're done for. It's one of those places where the local party is separated from the national party, but that means they still get elected. West Virginia last went to democrats in the presidential election in 1996

Piecake

If you had to chose some dude from Goldman Sachs to run Treasury, why the fuck do you choose this guy?

After the housing crash, this fucker set up a company that made billions off of widow foreclosures. That is just pure evil and villainy.

I mean, you couldn't at least find someone who just wanted to get rid of regulation to make risky investments so that they could make a shit ton of money and have their loses be subsidized by the taxpayers? Thats shitty enough, but I at least recognize that as a human being.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
So apparently a black president was such an affront that we're even going to make America default on its high risk mortgage again. Remember this guy never served a day in jail either - and is now being put in charge of the henhouse.

Magwik

Banned
So apparently a black president was such an affront that we're even going to make America default on its high risk mortgage again. Remember this guy never served a day in jail either - and is now being put in charge of the henhouse.

Don't worry they will blame the economic collapse on Obama

Tovarisc

"In his hands our financial system is in great hands..... Everything he touches turns into the gold" -Trump

As giving speech in confirmation moment.

Drain the Swamp, and then take that water and add it back...

Nah, you fill the swamp till it overflows at which point the excess is gone and drained away. Basically, stuff the swamp then the ones too bad slowly get pushed out and new bad comes in keeping the news cycle under your control.

Still waiting on the pivot. I remember when Trump was made the official Repub. Candidate so many Gafers told me he was going to pivot after that.

gaffers making fun of berniebro logic that gaf was also balls deep into... kinda ruffles my jimmies, to be honest. Stop bringing in that strawman tweet as if it means something, when it didn't mean anything, and by bringing it up now (a year later!!) you're just putting yourself at the kiddy table. Joke time is over, the Trump presidency (and dumpster fire) is real, today.

A finance man running the oversight on financial institutions will obviously spell trouble for getting justice on foul play, but it's worth pointing out that Obama's (similar) appointment worked with him towards a bail-out and stopping the bleeding, rather than not.
Despite the potential of conflicting interests, the treasury pick is probably the least troubling of all of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom