• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Senate Healthcare Repeal Vote Unlikely Next Week

Senate Republicans are tentatively preparing for a vote on repealing Obamacare in approximately two weeks and are highly unlikely to vote next week, according to senators and officials on and off Capitol Hill.

The Congressional Budget Office is reviewing legislative language sent by Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell; the Senate parliamentarian must weigh in on controversial proposals; and GOP leaders still have not forged a bill that can get 50 votes. Those factors are likely to push the pivotal roll call closer to the end of July than immediately after the July 4 recess.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/07/06/when-will-the-senate-vote-health-care-bill-240259

Keep taking those Ls.

Whompa02

An alleged 7+ years and they still can't figure out why 20+ million people would be getting screwed over under their shitty revised plan.

"We'll figure it out next week we promise."

Hey had all this time to carefully crafted legislation to improve healthcare for Americans. Repeal Obamacare and replace it with a better solution was always their argument.

And after all this time it turns out they can't figure it out. Because it was always about dismantling what they believe to be an "entitlement". And instead provide a tax cut for corporations. And this in furniture is supposed to help Americans afford health care......how? I've never heard a Republican answer this. Not honestly at least.

All that time and can't get the time done. Amazing.

mnannola

They are probably waiting for some other event to take everyones mind off of healthcare so they can sneak it through.

Protome

Hey had all this time to carefully crafted legislation to improve healthcare for Americans. Repeal Obamacare and replace it with a better solution was always their argument.

And after all this time it turns out they can't figure it out. Because it was always about dismantling what they believe to be an "entitlement". And instead provide a tax cut for corporations. And this in furniture is supposed to help Americans afford health care......how? I've never heard a Republican answer this. Not honestly at least.

I think their logic is health care should be provided by jobs and providing tax cuts to corporations makes more jobs and therefore more people have health care.

In the real world none of that actually works and tying healthcare to jobs is an insane stupid thing.

Dude Abides

Banned

They claim the magic of the market and competition will drive down prices. I think some of them probably even believe it.

Damaniel

Banned
An alleged 7+ years and they still can't figure out why 20+ million people would be getting screwed over under their shitty revised plan.

"We'll figure it out next week we promise."

Oh, they know it will screw 20+ million people; they just don't care. There are poor, sad little rich people out there desperately in need of a tax cut, and the GOP is happy to oblige - everyone else be damned.

NewFresh

It's literally trickle down. Provide tax cuts for the wealthy and corporations, this should in turn allow them to invest more in creating jobs, which will then provide health coverage for these people.... except this never works.

sangreal

Well if they are planning to vote in two weeks it would make sense that they are not voting next week

Why stop there, Politico? We could have an article for every day they are not planning to vote for the next 2 weeks

Well if they are planning to vote in two weeks it would make sense that they are not voting next week

They're saying two weeks because they still don't have the votes (most likely won't in two weeks) and they can't magic those votes up with folks who are deadset against it.

sangreal

They're saying two weeks because they still don't have the votes (most likely won't in two weeks) and they can't magic those votes up with folks who are deadset against it.

They will vote before the August recess but that isn't my point. Nobody said they would vote next week, and the last thing we need is made up victories which lead to complacency. The author acknowledges that they aren't even trying to vote next week so of course they are unlikely to vote next week. He didn't write an article saying they are unlikely to vote in two weeks (your stance)

Is there any chance that they'll give up? How many times does it have to get denied in the Senate before the GOP gives up and comes to terms that ACA is law of the land for good?

See this is what I mean

7he Talon

Is there any chance that they'll give up? How many times does it have to get denied in the Senate before the GOP gives up and comes to terms that ACA is law of the land for good?

Why stop there, Politico? We could have an article for every day they are not planning to vote for the next 2 weeks
They will vote before the August recess but that isn't my point. Nobody said they would vote next week, and the last thing we need is made up victories which lead to complacency. The author acknowledges that they aren't even trying to vote next week so of course they are unlikely to vote next week. He didn't write an article saying they are unlikely to vote in two weeks (your stance)
They were originally planning on having the bill done last Friday, and scored this week, with a vote next Monday

I think Politico is just noting that because it was the original time line

BajiBoxer

Banned
I'm still surprised they haven't just kept at trying to ruin it one piece at a time. Especially with a majority in all branches of government. It's what they were working on under the Obama presidency, and had some small successes there. If I were a Republican who wanted to hurt tens of millions of Americans, I'd go that direction rather than take a long series public L's on a supremely unpopular move.

Future

Republicans themselves are too fractured to ever agree exactly on how to replace it. Either it's giving to many free handouts, or it's taking away dollars from free market, or it's too much government, or it's too hard to get healthcare with those restrictions, or it's too expensive or whatever

If it passes it will because the one thing people can agree on his hating obama and wanting to erase his shit. Probably the most uniting concept possible under current conditions, and I'm pretty sure they will pass something eventually.

_Ryo_

You know how many Benghazi probes there were? They aint gonna give up. They are monsters thatoncet to become richer on the backz of others and kill off the poor and they finally are close to doing both at once.

sangreal

They were originally planning on having the bill done last Friday, and scored this week, with a vote next Monday

I think Politico is just noting that because it was the original time line

That changed last week though, not today. We already knew they didn't submit anything by Friday

l-letter15-27117.gif

platocplx

I love how the GOP twitter is trying to say where is the Dems health plan. It's like they really just use a blame Dems approach for everything.

old

I don't take any of these "they won't vote on it" stories seriously. Remember how it wasn't even going to be voted on in the house? Remember how it was never going to pass the house? It was never going to get the votes? How it was never going to be taken seriously in the Senate?

At every step we got "Don't worry about it. It's DOA." And then one step at a time it advanced. And now here we are one vote away from it becoming law.

I don't take any of these "they won't vote on it" stories seriously. Remember how it wasn't even going to be voted on in the house? Remember how it was never going to pass the house? It was never going to get the votes? How it was never going to be taken seriously in the Senate?

At every step we got "Don't worry about it. It's DOA." And then one step at a time it advanced. And now here we are one vote away from it becoming law.

After trump got elected you'd think people would learn to stop counting w's until they're confirmed.

On the flip side, for weeks we were hearing "McConnell is rushing the bill through, it's going to be passed by brute force in June" "They already have their 2 confirmed nos, this is all an act, it's passing" "This entire thing is a charade, come next week, it's passing" and here it is weeks later and it's not moving anywhere and looks to be in bad shape.

And so on

We're also quite a bit more than just one vote from it passing. Like 10 or more.

Beartruck

Also, Ted "zodiac killer" Cruz has introduced an amendment where insurance companies could offer a plan that ignores obamacare regulations as long as they also offer one that follows it. In practice that would result in cheap insurance that covers nothing and decent insurance that is crazy expensive to discourage anyone from choosing it.

Top Bottom