• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sennheiser PC38x headphones sound great but major echo problem?

I chose these headphones because they are open back which theoretically should offer better soundstage and better pinpoint precision on where gunshots, explosions, etc are coming from but I did not realize that sound would be leaking into the microphone creating an echo problem for my teammates. Has anyone run into this problem with open back headphones and online gaming? Is there a solution or is the solution just to buy close back headphones?

Last edited:

PhoenixTank

The mic on that headset is literally being advertised as noise cancelling and it really shouldn't be picking up sound from your headphones in the first place.
Are you using these headphones on PC? I had a weird issue with an old PC where the front/speaker channel would bleed into the mic channel but it was something internal to the soundcard/power delivery.
I'd be checking for other causes of the problem and failing that potentially returning them.

Last edited:

FrankWza

Last edited:

Larxia

You should've done more research. Only solution is to get some really good dedicated mic and add some filters as well as perhaps using stuff like nvidia broadcaster or use keybindings for on/off mic if voice detection still picks up the noise.
It's weird though, because why are they even selling open back headset with mics if this is an inherent issue?

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I chose these headphones because they are open back which theoretically should offer better soundstage and better pinpoint precision on where gunshots, explosions, etc are coming from but I did not realize that sound would be leaking into the microphone creating an echo problem for my teammates. Has anyone run into this problem with open back headphones and online gaming? Is there a solution or is the solution just to buy close back headphones?

Unless you're listening at insanely loud levels, the noise bleed, even with open backs, should not be enough to create a feedback loop on the headset itself. Are you certain your settings aren't enabled for another microphone input?

peronmls

Did you download the software and enable the noise canceling? Sometimes you can turn off “listen to yourself” as well.

HTK

Banned
I have the same headset, make sure in-game settings and discord for example to turn down mic sensitivity. Turn it down and you should be good, it’s a fine headset no issues here.

Rambone

Did you download the software and enable the noise canceling? Sometimes you can turn off “listen to yourself” as well.

What software are you talking about, the PC38x is not a USB headphone and Sennheiser nor Drop publish software for this headphone. Any noise cancelling features are built into the mic and cannot be turned on/off. OP probably has the MIC sensitivity way too high and if that is not the case then OP has bigger issues.

peronmls

What software are you talking about, the PC38x is not a USB headphone and Sennheiser nor Drop publish software for this headphone. Any noise cancelling features are built into the mic and cannot be turned on/off. OP probably has the MIC sensitivity way too high and if that is not the case then OP has bigger issues.
Ah. I missed that part.

I have these and have used these on PC, PS5, and XBox. I was getting bad echo on PS5 but realized the mic sensitivity on the console was extremely high. Now that I’ve fixed that I’m back to no issues.

I use these on PS5 and haven't had these issues before - even when I crank it to max (rarely). I know on PS, you can adjust the mic sensitivity so that it doesn't pick up background noise. Perhaps you can find a setting like that on the platform you're playing on?

BabyYoda

Banned
Have everyone go into control panel/sound/recording and make sure "listening to self" (or similar) is unclicked. I had that problem since Windows updated (assuming you're on PC).

Last edited:
Top Bottom