• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seven new species of Australian spider discovered including unique tarantula

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Tone

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2015/jun/05/seven-new-species-of-australian-spider-discovered-including-unique-tarantula

Seven new species of spider, including a type of tarantula completely new to science, have been discovered in a Northern Territory national park.

The discoveries were made by a team participating in the Bush Blitz nature program which saw 16 scientists, Indigenous rangers and field assistants, searching the 1.3m hectare Judbarra park for new species.

“The spider team, led by Dr Robert Raven from the Queensland Museum, had had their heads down all day in search of spider holes when luck finally struck and they spotted a promising burrow,” Professor David McInnes, chief executive of Earthwatch, said in a statement.

“Sophie Harrison, a PhD student from the University of Adelaide, started digging and found a tarantula so new and different that it doesn’t fit into any of the existing genus of spider species. It looks just as you’d expect, brown and hairy. But the scientists say it’s beautiful!”

Harrison told Guardian Australia the team spent “probably a good hour” digging up the burrow.

“When I was about up to my knees we finally saw a big beautiful tarantula sitting at the bottom, so that was really exciting,” she said.

She described the spider as “medium to small” on the scale of tarantulas.

“Its mouth parts are quite unique,” she said. “It’s got a unique process and obviously has never been found there before.”

The spider has been taken back to a lab, alive, to further determine its newness and test its venom.

1917.jpg

Patrol

Banned
I'm not sure I'd use the term "beautiful" to describe any spider, no less a variant of a damn tarantula. Where's the napalm?

Clydefrog

That tarantula looks harmless. It must be really cool to find a completely new species; doesn't the founder get to name it?

Theraphosidae evilorus?

Juicy Bob

Adelaide Uni should go and search around my parents' back garden for a bit.

They'd probably find seven more fucking species of spider hidden away around there...

Other discoveries included a new species of trapdoor spider, a known species of eel in an environment it has never been seen in before and flock of endangered species.

Its awesome we're finding new species of animals. Tarantulas aren't that bad, people keep them as pets.

So she's no idea of how poisonous it is, but puts it on her arm for a photo shoot?

Balls of steel.

And knowing Australia, it probably has enough venom in one bite to kill a herd of elephants.

EDIT - this is cool though. I don't really mind spiders (they eat bugs and insects which is a massive bonus in my view) and it must be very rewarding to be the one to discover a new species.

Man, makes me wonder how distinctive the tarantula was that they could immediately tell it was a new species.

Oh be quiet and grow up you pansies.

Look, on NeoGAF you have to be afraid of either spiders or vaginas. Luckily I am the former.

sirap

Aren't tarantulas pretty chill? Buddy had one as a pet, but I still don't understand why you'd want to keep one in your house.

The Cowboy

Australia needs to get a handle on this shit, 1st they let it rain spiders and now they are letting them become more species of themselves - stop it Australia, your letting them take over.

Toxi

Banned
Aren't tarantulas pretty chill? Buddy had one as a pet, but I still don't understand why you'd want to keep one in your house.
Tarantulas tend to be pretty chill. Old world tarantulas lack urticating hairs to fling at predators so they're quicker to bite in defense than their new world cousins, but they'd still rather run and hide.

Atrophis

Spiders are awesome. More spiders means more awesome. Well done aussieland.

Yeah they are. I used to keep one. My cats would occasionally knock it off my shelf and he would just still chill in his terrarium even if the lid came off.

Man, makes me wonder how distinctive the tarantula was that they could immediately tell it was a new species.

Oh be quiet and grow up you pansies.

I knew two things about this thread before opening it:

1. That people would be cowering in fear over a small spider.
2. That you would be in here talking about how awesome spiders are. :)

I do love it when new species are identified. I recently submitted a moth that might be an unidentified species, so I can understand the excitement that these scientists have at the moment. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Mask

Wonder how long it is before we see this species available as a pet?

Usually when a new species is discovered, once we know how endangered or easily found they are, they usually start showing up at the breeders. I'd imagine this one will be popular, considering it seems to have a nice temperament!

I'd get one.

Toxi

Banned
I do love it when new species are identified. I recently submitted a moth that might be an unidentified species, so I can understand the excitement that these scientists have at the moment. Keeping my fingers crossed!
Wow, that's crazy. How do you figure you've found a new species? Was it the color or some other physical feature?

Tabris

Melbourne and Sydney are starting to be filled with skyscrapers. I assume these animals and insects are rarely seen in the city and it keeps reducing with all the modern buildings, right?

Australia is one of the few countries I've considered moving to once in my life but these articles always freak me out. I'm super freaked by spiders. I once woke up to a spider on my face when I was a kid in my parents home, so ever since I moved out to live on my own, I refused to live on ground floor of anything lol

Toxi

Banned
Melbourne and Sydney are starting to be filled with skyscrapers. I assume these animals and insects are rarely seen in the city and it keeps reducing with all the modern buildings, right?

Australia is one of the few countries I've considered moving to once in my life but these articles always freak me out.
The wildlife thing is an exaggerated joke; Australia isn't actually a death world. The last death from a spider bite in Australia was in the 80s.

If anything, the wildlife is one of the best things about Australia. Loads of beautiful birds like rainbow lorikeets living close to people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom