• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Several Tales games revealed in Jump

Pooya

B-Rad Lascelle said:
Now don't be like that fellas.

There are plenty of other Bandai Namco titles that will get localized that we can't wait to play.

Like ummm... that Enslaved game that will be bigger than Uncharted 2...

And uh... well... I hear Capcom's one remaining decent studio is adding Tekken characters to Street Fighter IV. That's good, right?

And err... more Pac-Man Championship Edition. Yay!
pffff, Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm 2 yay! demo comes out tomorrow!

IntelliHeath said:
Heh. At least our ps3 can read japanese games tho.
Even more incentive to learn Japanese. Seriously, it seems like the only way to be guaranteed that you can play a game is to learn it's initial release language. Reliable localization companies were just a fad I guess.

jiggle

had an inkling ToG port might happen after the success of ToVport
will be interesting to see what kind of upgrade it'll get

with no recent Tales of trademark
is it safe to guess the unnamed Tales game is ToV2?
or is that the general assumption already?

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Gunloc said:
Even more incentive to learn Japanese. Seriously, it seems like the only way to be guaranteed that you can play a game is to learn it's initial release language. Reliable localization companies were just a fad I guess.

Eh, I can't read japanese but playing the game is better than nothing. :(

Bebpo

Banned
jiggle said:
is it safe to guess the unnamed Tales game is ToV2?
or is that the general assumption already?

There's still Unitia or something else, right? Plus since the game doesn't actually have a name yet, it's possible they haven't registered it.

I mean it could be Vesperia 2 and take place 1000 years in the future or something, but I think there's just as much chance it's not Vesperia 2.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
So Yakuza 5, Versus XIII, FF XIV, Disgaea 4, Ninokuni and New Tales of Games next year on ps3.... TGS this year could be epic.

Bebpo

Banned
cw_sasuke said:
So Yakuza 5, FF 13, FF14 Versus, Ninokuni and New Tales of Games next year on ps3.... TGS this year could be epic.

and rumored Super Robot Wars OG3! TGS shoudl be great.

PS3 is finally getting some big name exclusives in Japan. Now they just need an Atlus game :p

cw_sasuke said:
So Yakuza 5, FF 13, FF14 Versus, Ninokuni and New Tales of Games next year on ps3.... TGS this year could be epic.
At least we'll get all those other games you mentioned localized with the exception of Tales of course.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Bebpo said:
and rumored Super Robot Wars OG3! TGS shoudl be great.

PS3 is finally getting some big name exclusives in Japan. Now they just need an Atlus game :p

Persona 5, believe <_<

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
If that new tales game is by the symphonia team i wonder if it will get localized.

hiro4

[sarcasm]I'm glad I didn;t buy the beta versions for Graces or Vesperia[/sarcasm]

Oh well should be good news for PS3 owners.
But tbh, I don't like the Radiant Mythology or the Narakiri dungeon series at all.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
cw_sasuke said:
So Yakuza 5, Versus XIII, FF XIV, Disgaea 4, Ninokuni and New Tales of Games next year on ps3.... TGS this year could be epic.

Add in The Last Guardian, possible new Gundam game, Tactics Ogre, and possible SRW game.

Kagari said:
Persona 5, believe <_<

TGS of the forever.

Seeing the scans they are rehashing the 10th anniversary logo for the 15th, it guess it fits given the new Tales is 2011 and RM3 as well. Rehash anniversary everyone.

So they're porting Graces, a game that's already been released in Japan, to the PS3 and still no word of a Graces release in other parts of the world. And what of the DS games? Is this series Japan-only now? This is incompetence.

jiggle

Bebpo said:
There's still Unitia or something else, right?

That rumor is now real with ToG port since Unitia is 1 of the 3 trademarks Namco acquired for Tales of Graces?
542.jpg

Bebpo said:
Plus since the game doesn't actually have a name yet, it's possible they haven't registered it.

IIRC, they usually register the names ahead of time?
so they're either breaking tradition
or it's a sequel to a name they already own?

Black Rainbow said:
So they're porting Graces, a game that's already been released in Japan, to the PS3 and still no word of a Graces release in other parts of the world. And what of the DS games? Is this series Japan-only now? This is incompetence.
I think it's really for the best if people consider Tales of a Japan-only franchise with rare exceptions. That seems to be Namco's attitude towards things.

Bebpo

Banned
Black Rainbow said:

This is Namco

One thing that really irks me is that not only does Namco Bandai refuses to localise Tales games but they won't allow other companies to do it either. Seriously what the hell is their problem?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Black Rainbow said:

I think the only Tales games that you'll see localized from now on are the Tales games that are made by Team Symphonia that isn't a port.

ULTROS! said:
I think the only Tales game that you'll see localized from now on are the Tales games that are made by Team Symphonia that isn't a port.
Honestly, at his point I'd even be surprised to see that much. I don't really think NAmco is going to release any more Tales games in the west.

Bebpo

Banned
lucablight said:
One thing that really irks me is that not only does Namco Bandai refuses to localise Tales games but they won't allow other companies to do it either. Seriously what the hell is their problem?

I think they won't license Tales games out to other companies because they're afraid that at some point in the future Tales will become a huge franchise in the West and by having licensed out one of the games, they've lost the ability to resell it at a later time and capitalize on the newfound huge million dollar market for western Tales.

:\

Hitlersaurus Christ said:
Honestly, at his point I'd even be surprised to see that much. I don't really think NAmco is going to release any more Tales games in the west.

Yeah I don't expect this new TS game to come over. Hence lack of X360 version.

Aeana

I could see, maybe, the next Team Symphonia game coming... but maybe not with the same quality localization Vesperia got, with the voiced skits and such. :\

At least we got Tales of Arc Rise Fantasia. ;)

No but seriously, if Bamco is so reluctant to localize the games, why not let someone else like NIS America, XSeed, or even Ignition localize them?

Is Namco of America to blame?

Bebpo

Banned
What's weird is I thought ToS2 actually sold ok and Vesperia while doing terribly, didn't do that much more terribly than any of the PS2 Tales titles. So basically the games sold like Tales games sell in the west and apparently that was good enough in the past but now it's not.

ULTROS!

Aeana said:
I could see, maybe, the next Team Symphonia game coming... but maybe not with the same quality localization Vesperia got, with the voiced skits and such. :\

Localized games (may it be very good, average, or horrible) are better than nothing at all.

On the clean scans you can see the art piece for the new game...well if its any old game, it has to be Vesperia but could be for a new one too, just showing some sort of city in the woods with buildings full of lights and bridges over the water, some persons looking well-proportionate but I wouldn't take that as a definite for the game.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The only chance any of the Nintendo Tales games have to come out in the US is if NoA finds another hole in their release schedule and helps bring one over.

Considering they have two likely localizations of RPGs in the Wii pipeline I wouldn't hold your breath for ToG.

Maybe one of the DS games next year ala the late GBA release of ToP.

Aeana

Looking at the clean scan, it seems like Graces is just rendered at a higher resolution. Not that that's a bad thing; Graces already looked really good on Wii.

Gravijah

Aeana said:

I don't care about VA. I like it, but I could live playing a game without ANY VA.

jiggle

found scan (not clean scan)
doesn't look like they made any improvement to ToG's graphics at all

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
water, some persons looking well-proportionate but I wouldn't take that as a definite for the game.

looks like Yuri and Flynn from the back...

Mael

Bebpo said:
What's weird is I thought ToS2 actually sold ok and Vesperia while doing terribly, didn't do that much more terribly than any of the PS2 Tales titles. So basically the games sold like Tales games sell in the west and apparently that was good enough in the past but now it's not.
Well ToS2 didn't cost much, Vesperia on the other hand....

Aeana

Gravijah said:
I don't care about VA. I like it, but I could live playing a game without ANY VA.
I like the voices in the skits. That said, I don't find what was done in Symphonia and Abyss acceptable at all: they kept the voice timings and cut the voice out, so sometimes you didn't even have enough time to read the lines. And the text was small.

Gravijah

Aeana said:
I like the voices in the skits. That said, I don't find what was done in Symphonia and Abyss acceptable at all: they kept the voice timings and cut the voice out, so sometimes you didn't even have enough time to read the lines. And the text was small.

I mean I like voices, I love English VA as a matter of fact... but if it means getting the game, I'll live with them being cut.

Bebpo

Banned
Graces assets in internal HD rendering with maybe some AA to smooth it out would be fine. It's a darn good looking game.

I'd rather they spend the time adding new content to it. If it's similar to the Symphonia PS2 port it'll be pretty disappointing. But if it's closer to the Vesperia PS3 port it'll be sooo worth a double dip.

Aeana said:
Yeah. Playing Vesperia and hearing the voices during skits makes a huge difference to the game. It makes it so much more enjoyable.

I hated reading the skits in Symphonia and Abyss but I really like the skits in Vesperia.

Teppic

As long as they translate the new team Symphonia game I'll be happy.

Aeana said:
The voice acting was terrible. Vesperia was better without it.

Gravijah said:
I mean I like voices, I love English VA as a matter of fact... but if it means getting the game, I'll live with them being cut.
I agree with you there too.

I'd rather have the game than not have the game at all if voice acting is preventing the localization because Bamco of America are stingy and cheapskates.

Aeana

Bebpo said:
Graces assets in internal HD rendering with maybe some AA to smooth it out would be fine. It's a darn good looking game.

I'd rather they spend the time adding new content to it. If it's similar to the Symphonia PS2 port it'll be pretty disappointing. But if it's closer to the Vesperia PS3 port it'll be sooo worth a double dip.
Yeah, I'll definitely get it if so. Graces really surprised me. I wasn't expecting to like it much at all.

EDIT: I just noticed that the title of this is actually "Tales of Graces f"

ULTROS!

Looking at scans, the graphics of Graces PS3 doesn't look like it has changed much.

The artwork of the unnamed Tales games looks interesting. Looks like a pond-like village or something at night.

Top Bottom