• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadow of the Erdtree shouldn't be cross-gen

Mr Hyde

Elden Rings expansion shouldn't be cross-gen. From Software should embrace the new gen with a banging DLC, taking full advantage of the new consoles. They had a golden opportunity to follow in the footsteps of their fellow peers.

Phantom Liberty on Cyberpunk wasn't cross-gen.

Burning Shores on Horizon: Forbidden West wasn't cross-gen.

Intermission on FF7 remake wasn't cross-gen.

Nobody would've battened an eye here if Shadow of the Erdtree was new gen only. From Software fucked up here. How hard can it be to drop last gen? We're 4 years in. Get with the times ffs.

CamHostage

The Elden Ring engine is barely past-gen as it is, there's no heavy veil which would be lifted if they pushed the DLC to only current-gen.

They're doing the best they can with aged technology (and already rewrote a ton of it for the advancements at the core of Elden Ring), there's nothing in the tech concept like "clouds" or "decent performance" for Erdtree which demand them leave behind past-gen, past-gen sells well in some of the territories where this game's DLC would do well (and they have the sales data to know whether they can safely divide the platforms or if their audience is still in a large percentage on older devices,) they still have to release it on PC and the PC requirements for the base are very forgiving (and they may even have data of how many play Elden Ring on Steam Deck,) and they are a company / design team comfortable with what they have and what they can extract from it / push it to do. Rewriting everything to get some sort of "next-gen boost" is unrealistic and potentially counter-productive.

FromSoft have been making Souls games a certain way with tech they know well for 15 years, and their strength is making something that shouldn't be done the way they do it somehow work gangbusters in the final product. "More power" isn't going to change how From makes games.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Everyone except From fans realize this, FROM is a lazy company when it come to pushing tech, they simply have no ambition to do so. This game may as well still be on PS3.
They are releasing one of the biggest Expansion to date but they are "lazy" because they dont carter to graphic whores whiners on internet?

You are not even trying to hide it, are you?
WF1ZFae.png

Last edited:

Katajx

Gold Member
I would expect those old Gen consoles probably have a good chunk of their copies sold. DLC and expansions often sell less than the base game by a significant margin iirc.

Would be a lot of potential customers they suddenly couldn’t sell a product to when the base game is already in their hands.

Saber

Gold Member
So it should have not being cross gen... just because you want them to take "advantages" of next gen.

I think you guys are are way too much focused on graphics. I have no respect for smartasses that call them lazy for making such a dense DLC.

edited to make it clear I had no intention to offend OP but still not gonna back up the ones who call them that way

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
that doesnt make sense, by shifting the DLC to current gen console, they would piss off a group of last gen owners.

xrnzaaas

Personally I don't understand how next-gen only expansions are greenlit. You're already dealing with a much smaller audience, as the add-ons will usually only interest those who finished the game or at least made signifcant advances. Now you're also removing the players with past-gen consoles from the potential list of buyers... Just wait until a new sequel if you want to make a bigger leap.

FROM isn't renowned for their technology advancement and I highly doubt there would be drastic improvement of the dlc even if they ditched the old gen.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
They are releasing one of the biggest Expansion to date but they are "lazy" because they dont carter to graphic whores whiners on internet?

You are not even trying to hide it, are you?
WF1ZFae.png
Hide what?

I said they are lazy when it comes to pushing tech. That has nothing to do with how big their game is.

If you guys are fine playing games designed around 2012 tech in 2024, more power to you. Its garbage imo. Make this current gen only and do something that couldnt be done on PS4

Last edited:

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
Hide what?

I said they are lazy when it comes to pushing tech. That has nothing to do with how big their game is.

If you guys are fine playing games designed around 2012 tech in 2024, more power to you. Its garbage imo. Make this current gen only and do something that couldnt be done on PS4

They would rather spend the time and effort on art direction, gameplay, and variety instead of a shallow experience propped up by graphical fidelity. These are what make From games stand the test of time and why people still adore titles like Shadow Tower and Demon Souls. Not chasing the diminishing returns of "best of the best" graphics that are outdated as soon as the next AAA game releases.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

First this FROM, even it was this gen only it wouldn't be "high tech" because base game was cross gen....

Also lot of people bought Elden Ring for PS4 as well, it not fair to them.

that doesnt make sense, by shifting the DLC to current gen console, they would piss off a group of last gen owners.

A lot of people bought Cyberpunk and FF7 remake on last gen consoles but nobody cried when the expansions were new gen only. Sometimes you just have to let go.

Belthazar

What do you think a game like Elden Ring would be able to do differently (better) by dropping last-gen? If your answer is visuals then I feel like you severely misunderstand how that's the most easily scalable part of any game. If it's anything game-design wise: I present you Tears of The Kingdom, a game that was made for Switch and runs circles around Elden Ring in terms of the complex systems and how to interact with the world.

I honestly find this vitriol over cross-gen games is just silly and it's usually people desperate to justify their purchase in a way that makes absolutely no sense. That's honestly like someone buying a 4080 and complaining new games still run on a 3050, but with worse graphics performance. Get a grip.

Danjin44

A lot of people bought Cyberpunk and FF7 remake on last gen consoles but nobody cried when the expansions were new gen only. Sometimes you just have to let go.
Let me ask you, was Yuffie intermission episode looked next gen? not really it looked exactly like the base game....Also Cyberpunk on last gen systems was just broken CPR only bothered fixing the current gen system and that was not the case with Elden Ring.

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
They would rather spend the time and effort on art direction, gameplay, and variety instead of a shallow experience propped up by graphical fidelity. These are what make From games stand the test of time and why people still adore titles like Shadow Tower and Demon Souls. Not chasing the diminishing returns of "best of the best" graphics that are outdated as soon as the next AAA game releases.
A studio with their resources and talent/budget should absolutely be pushing for both, like other high end studios in the industry. It would be better for the medium

Saber

Gold Member

The reason they quit to Cyberpunk on PS4 is because this game was never meant to be played on PS4 at all. It was never optimized, never run well at all and was even more broken than the next gen ones.

CamHostage

Personally I don't understand how next-gen only expansions are greenlit. You're already dealing with a much smaller audience, as the add-ons will usually only interest those who finished the game or at least made signifcant advances. Now you're also removing the players with past-gen consoles from the potential list of buyers...

They do the math and can tell where their audience is. And then, they take the financial risk.

• In the case of Horizon, for example, a reported 70% of the game sales were the PS5 version. (There are a lot of PS4s still out there, yes, but many are collecting dust, having either been replaced by a PS5/PC or else just forgotten by the buyer over time as their hobbies changed.) If there's only that many people buying on PS4, and assuming a percentage of them are not hardcore gamers anyway who would collect DLC even though they bought the base product, you can project your sales and plan accordingly. So for Horizon, they planned early enough that they could tell the effects and technology they were introducing in the DLC wasn't worth even trying to port down to PS4. (Not that it would have been impossible to figure out some solution, but Guerrilla is already a key tech driver for Sony and so spending more time making clever work-arounds for PS4 solutions isn't a good use of their time when they could instead be working on RTGI and other advancements for future titles.)

• Phantom Liberty meanwhile was just a throwing up of hands, writing off the PS4/One versions as the best that could be done but the future was on the platforms this should have been on in the first place. Past-gen consumers got the product they were expecting (more or less) and weren't promised a long tail of DLC content so it what it is for them; if that audience complained about not getting DLC, fair enough, but nobody heard them over the rejoicing of those who had the hardware that Cyberpunk would thrive on. (And again, the publisher had the numbers. We don't, unfortunately, as platform breakdowns are hard to find and even the Horizon info is not confirmed, but the trends in platform support are clear either way, that PS4/One are being left behind even in games which clearly could have been ported down and in fact have Switch versions on that side of the tech tree.)

• Intermission and FF7 Remake is a weird one. You would think Square would continue to support PS4 since PS4 is still a big market in Japan and is where a lot of these cross-gen releases are still coming from. (Plus, I'm not sure most Japanese apartments can fit a gigantic PS5 inside...) Also, there's no clear infusion of new tech on Intermission or FF Rebirth over Remake. (Both are still UE4 rather than a new engine, and we don't know the PC specs for FFVII Rebirth but FFVII Remake Integrade PC has Intermission yet isn't in that next-gen-only spec range.) It seems like they simply committed to a marketing plan (again, by the numbers, although I'm not sure what numbers they would have since Remake shipped so late in the PS4 lifespan, the PS5 was almost out by then... Forspoken sales wouldn't have been enough data to make such a bold choice IMO,) and locked into a current-gen-only sales plan. Surely FF fans will show up no matter what, so if the PS5 install base is big enough to support FFXVI, it's big enough to be the only place to get FFVII Part 2.

Just wait until a new sequel if you want to make a bigger leap.

As nice as it sounds to current-gen owners that their hardware is getting special treatment (and as much as past-gen owners might grovel over being left behind, they must know that this is the way with hardware gens, that the future is on the new devices,) many of these decisions aren't being made for "a bigger leap".

Mostly, it's to save time and resources, as well as to cut out SKUs in QA that are unlikely to sell much.

Even with Horizon, sure, they got a great cloud system in there and were able to design around open flight much more confidently, but I would imagine they were planning all of this for both versions, and when the math came down that PS4 was a waste of time going forward, they let out a sigh of relief that they had one less annoyance to deal with. Going PS5-only let them do some things that gamers would consider "a bigger leap", so that was a nice bonus bulletpoint to sell the DLC on; it also let them try some new stuff that they couldn't get in the main game's production schedule, sort of like Frozen Wilds and the PC port, which would help them in future versions of Decima and Horizon. Win/win for going next-gen-only, with the only downside being that whatever percentage of PS4 gamers were upset. The DLC itself, however, was probably not greenlit on being "a bigger leap", it was just the planned extra content piece for this Horizon sequel and timing/marketing just worked out in the PS5's favor.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

So it should have not being cross gen... just because you want them to take "advantages" of next gen.

I think you graphical and next gen whores have issues. Specially the retards that call them lazy for making such a dense DLC.

I don't see anything wrong with moving on to next gen and take advantage of new tech. Stop wasting resources on optimizing for last gen. Most companies move on. Also, please refrain from calling people "scum of gaming" just because their opinion differ from yours.

Danjin44

A studio with their resources and talent/budget should absolutely be pushing for both, like other high end studios in the industry. It would be better for the medium
The crazy amount of enemy/bosses and location variety they put out in their games, most high budget AAA games can't match them. They are able to that because what they focus on those instead of wasting resources on graphical fidelity.

Graphics whores are not their target audience....accept that and move on.

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

We are talking about From here.... even if the 4090 was the only GPU that could run it, it would still look like a last gen game. And whatever they make next gen would look like what we are getting this gen from other devs. And not even the best looking of what we are getting this gen.

Its just their way.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I don’t see why not. Make a couple more million from PS4 users. Maybe From Software can make their game accessible to all. What if you didn’t have money and wanted the DLC? IMO this is why the general public b*tch or get upset at game companies because they don’t cater to their lack of purchases towards better hardware.

The real question is why are they wanting $35 for the Star Wars Battlefront Collection?

Danjin44

I don't see anything wrong with moving on to next gen and take advantage of new tech. Stop wasting resources on optimizing for last gen. Most companies move on. Also, please refrain from calling people "scum of gaming" just because their opinion differ from yours.
FROM are not that type of devs who focus on high tech.....similar to Atlus, they rather their artstyle to the talking rather than waste money on high tech graphics.

Saber

Gold Member

They have better priorities like gameplay, art direction and etc. And different from the some examples you gave, like Horizon, they nail every aspect. Is something Nintendo do best for instance.
Calling lazy is not an opinion. I have no respect for clowns that call such a game and DLC that offers so much "lazy" just because they don't appeal their graphic fetishs.

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
IDGAF.

PC master race for this one.

Besides a Xbox series S is basically a ps4 pro at the end of the day…

Mr Hyde

Let me ask you, was Yuffie intermission episode looked next gen? not really it looked exactly like the base game....Also Cyberpunk on last gen systems was just broken CPR only bothered fixing the current gen system and that was not the case with Elden Ring.

What about Horizon Burning Shores? Looked incredible and way better than last gen version. Guerilla and Sony didn't have second thoughts about dropping their PS4 audience. A studio of From Softwares caliber could and should do the same.

Mr Hyde

They have better priorities like gameplay, art direction and etc. And different from the some examples you gave, like Horizon, they nail every aspect. Is something Nintendo do best for instance.
Calling lazy is not an opinion. I have no respect for clowns that call such a game and DLC that offers so much "lazy" just because they don't appeal their graphic fetishs.

I'm not talking about the lazy comment. You edited out your last line about graphics whores and what not calling them scum of gaming. Fuck off with that shit or get the fuck out of the thread.

Danjin44

What about Horizon Burning Shores? Looked incredible and way better than last gen version. Guerilla and Sony didn't have second thoughts about dropping their PS4 audience. A studio of From Softwares caliber could and should do the same.
Different developer prioritize different things, I played original Horizon once I never wanted play that game again because I hated actual game, I skip on the sequels and DLC for that very reason....meanwhile I put over 500+ hours in to Elden Ring and most FROM games.

So to say I like how FROM approach in making games compare to Guerilla Games.

Mr Hyde

Different developer prioritize different things, I played original Horizon once I never wanted play that game again because I hated actual game, I skip on the sequels and DLC for that very reason....meanwhile I put over 500+ hours in to Elden Ring and most FROM games.

I also put 500+ hours in Elden Ring. Doesn't mean I don't want them to move on.

Saber

Gold Member
I'm not talking about the lazy comment. You edited out your last line about graphics whores and what not calling them scum of gaming. Fuck off with that shit or get the fuck out of the thread.

I already edited lol, want to discuss the conversation or gonna keep chewing that?
Explain to me exactly why they are lazy.

Like Faust explained already, graphics themselves ages with time. But things like Elden Ring or even Atlus games remains a timeless masterpiece because graphics aren't their focus. I don't think he understanded that yet.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

I already edited lol, want to discuss the conversation or gonna keep chewing that?
Explain to me exactly why they are lazy.

I never said they are lazy. I said they should drop last gen and you went off directly with insults. And you want to continue the conversation? No thanks.

Top Bottom