• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shark Week 2013 - We're gonna need a bigger thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every year I look forward to watching Shark Week on the Discovery Channel. Today marks the beginning of Shark Week for this year. It looks like they have a lot of cool shows scheduled throughout the week. There seems to be a good mix of new ideas (such as their late night talk show) and old favorites (like Air Jaws). Here is a copy of the schedule for the week:

SHARK AFTER DARK

Every Night, Beginning August 4, at 11|10C

SHARK AFTER DARK is Discovery’s first ever late-night live talk show that will be featured each evening during SHARK WEEK. Comedian Josh Wolf will lead viewers through an hour-long celebration of all things shark-related that will include celebrity guests, shark experts and shark attack survivors, among others. Wolf will also look back at some of the highlights from the past 26 years of SHARK WEEK, and look ahead to give viewers a sneak peek at the next day’s SHARK WEEK programs. The show will also give viewers the first opportunity to interact live on-air every night with tweets, questions to the shark experts and more.

AIR JAWS: COUNTDOWN TO SHARK WEEK 2013

Sunday, August 4, at 8|7C

Air Jaws programming has pushed and expanded our understanding of Great Whites sharks and has become one of the iconic SHARK WEEK programs. In AIR JAWS: COUNTDOWN TO SHARK WEEK 2013, a documentary crew goes behind the scenes to see how Air Jaws has changed what we know about these incredible creatures and to give SHARK WEEK viewers a sneak peek into the next Air Jaws special, Finding Colossus, which will air during SHARK WEEK 2014.

MEGALODON: THE MONSTER SHARK LIVES

Sunday, August 4, at 9|8C

Discovery brings SHARK WEEK viewers on a search for a massive killer Great White shark responsible for a rash of fatalities off the coast of South Africa. One controversial scientist believes that the shark responsible could be Megalodon, a 60-foot relative of the Great White that is one of the largest and most powerful predators in history. Our oceans remain 95% unexplored, and this massive prehistoric predator has always been shrouded in secrecy, but after a rash of newly discovered evidence, authorities are forced to investigate and hunt for the predator long thought to be extinct. A crew of scientists and shark experts examine evidence and fearlessly seek answers to the many questions surrounding one of the last great mysteries of the deep ocean while creating the largest chum slick in history.

RETURN OF JAWS

Monday, August 5, at 9|8C

Another first this year is Shark Cam, a robot submarine that is used to track sharks in a new and exciting way. This SHARK WEEK special includes spectacular footage of Shark Cam following Great White sharks living and hunting off the shores of Cape Cod, the setting for the Jaws film franchise. Footage of a 17-foot Great White is seen at close range over a five hour period as the shark hunts seal colonies, comes close to shore in less than four feet of water and takes a chilling interest in one specific area.

VOODOO SHARKS

Monday, August 5, at 10|9C

We investigate Bull Shark populations that have moved beyond oceans and U.S. coasts to the bayous of Louisiana. Nicknamed ‘Voodoo Sharks’ by local shrimp fishermen, these Bull Sharks have the extraordinary ability to live in both salt and fresh water environments and they show up by the hundreds in the bayous of Louisiana. There are many a fishermen who have encountered these dominant and startling predators in the shallow Louisiana waters. But while Bull Sharks in the Bayou are a known phenomenon, locals tell of an even larger shark lurking in swamps. Is this phantom shark the stuff of Cajun legend, or do these waters hold a brand new species?

I ESCAPED JAWS

Tuesday, August 6, at 9|8C

I ESCAPED JAWS is another SHARK WEEK first as we utilize riveting real shark attack footage captured by eye-witnesses to examine harrowing first-hand accounts from everyday people who stared into the jaws of a shark and survived. These survivors used their wits and experience and all lived to share their chilling stories. Shannon Ainslie faced three Great White sharks throughout his lifetime, and Nicole Moore, a nurse, lost her arm in an attack while vacationing in Mexico and saved her own life by instructing those on the beach on how to treat her wounds. Australian Navy Diver Paul de Gelder relied on his experience as a diver to survive after a shark bit off both his arm and leg.

SPAWN OF JAWS

Tuesday, August 6, at 10|9C

This special follows a team of scientists on the brink of a revolutionary breakthrough that for the first time will allow us to understand the mysterious life cycle of the Great White shark. Using state of the art tracking technology, they will search for the elusive Great White breeding grounds, in hopes to protect the area and re-populate their numbers.

TOP 10 SHARKDOWN

Wednesday, August 7, at 9|8C

This special updates the international shark attack files for the 21st century and takes a close look at the sharks you don't want to meet this summer -- and the ones you're most likely to encounter. From the weird - the feisty cookie cutter, which bites cookie-shaped circles out of its prey; to the macabre, like the Sand Tiger, whose cannibalistic young devour each other in the womb, to the infamous – Great Whites, Tiger Sharks and Bull Sharks – TOP 10 SHARKDOWN ranks these amazing predators.

GREAT WHITE SERIAL KILLER

Wednesday, August 7, at 10|9C

Natural history producer Jeff Kurr returns to SHARK WEEK after 2011’s Emmy®-nominated Ultimate Air Jaws and 2012’s Air Jaws Apocalypse in GREAT WHITE SERIAL KILLER. Kurr sets out to examine two fatal shark attacks near Vandenberg Air Force base in California and uses evidence found at both sites to try to determine if one shark was responsible for both attacks.

SHARKPOCALYPSE

Thursday, August 8, at 9|8C

Following one of the most fatal years of shark encounters closely followed by the media, SHARKPOCALYPSE examines the alarming trend of sharks moving in closer to shorelines and debates whether there is a connection between declining shark populations and the increase in shark attacks. Hosted by Andy Casagrande and Devon Massyn, SHARKPOCALYPSE gets you up close and personal with the Great White invasion.

ALIEN SHARKS OF THE DEEP

Thursday, August 8, at 10|9C

This special follows American and Japanese scientists as they descend into the deepest and darkest unexplored oceans on earth in search of some of the more incredible and bizarre sharks on the planet, from the Goblin shark to the elusive, giant Megamouth shark.

GREAT WHITE GAUNTLET

Friday, August 9, at 8|7C

The coast of South Australia is a place like no other. It is home to a Great White feeding ground that is one of the most dangerous places in the world. Known in local legend as the Great White Gauntlet, this deadly stretch of waters holds a prize bounty for divers: a rare sea snail called the abalone which is worth thousands on the international market. Abalone diving can be both lucrative and dangerous because it happens in one of the most deadly shark feeding grounds in the world where the Great White sharks prowl. This special takes a closer look at the real-life dangers these divers encounter every day.

cHIaVxo.gif

Tonguer

Great thread title!

As much as I enjoy these kinds of programs, my wife is terrified of sharks... I don't get to watch much of this stuff. That Megaladon one in particular sounds great.

Apath

You know they don't find shit. If they discovered a shark over 20 feet in length it would be news already.

Huff

Banned
that was fucking garbage. two hours wasted by some fake shit. lowest point in shark week history

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
That Megalodon thing felt like a slightly more credible version of their Mermaid specials. Slightly. I pretty much resigned it to being background noise while I wrote.

Shark After Dark...yeah...about that. It felt like a really bad version of AMC's Talking Dead. It's obviously the exact type of thing they're trying to go for, lots of emphasis on social media and connecting with the rabid shark week fan base. But it was just really awkward.

The rest of their weekly lineup looks better. There are a couple ones like Spawn of Jaws that they really can't mess up. Learning about the life cycle of great whites will be interesting, no doubt. Other stuff like Alien Sharks of the Deep is a coin toss. If they play it up like Monster Quest or whatever that show is called, I'm not interested. I have zero interest in watching cryptozoology bullshit.

Lunzio

That show made me sad. I was willing to believe, but from the moments the show started, I had a terrible "scripted" vibe going off. How morbid would it be to keep replaying the last moments of those people's lives?!

Due to my early work schedule I had to DVR the Megalodon episode last night to watch today. Sounds like I should skip it from what you guys are saying. That is too bad. It is one thing to have dramatizations for real life reenactments, but it sounds like this is just speculative BS. Lets hope the rest of the week is better...

Trouble

Banned
Started watching this Megalodon show, quickly realized this is some Ghost Hunters level bullshit. WTF, Discovery?

Voodoo Shark is an equally shitty "documentary" that seems to be scripted with actors. I guess shark week is no longer about sharks and more about "hunting" mythical creatures that eat people. RIP shark week.

Lamel

Banned
Am I the only one who doesn't care about shark week.

I mean sharks are cool and all, but still.

kaskade

This shark week is a real letdown. I want to hear about sharks and all the new stuff we've learned about them. They are turning it into this fake reality TV show bullshit. It seems like National Geographic is having a shark week as well and it's better.

I'm looking forward to Alien Sharks of the Deep tonight. It better not be some fake bullshit, though. I will write a handwritten letter to Discovery and complain if it is!

sangreal

I've been watching the reruns during the day while I work this week and it has been okay. Haven't seen that mockumentary everyone is mad about. I do have a big complaint though... I watched one show, about Jaws I think, that said that the story about shark attacks after the USS Indianapolis sank was nonsense. Now I'm watching "The top 10 sharkdown" or whatever and they say sharks spent 4 days eating people

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom