• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shawn Layden loves the Vita says it's still viable just not in the West

Parshias7

I see the Declassified debacle as largely Sony's fault for drafting a moneyhat contract that apparently made no stipulations as to product content or quality.

Well at least Nintendo learned from that example when they made that Sonic game contract with Sega for Wii U!
lol

Bolivar687

Banned
Weird to see the same question, answer, article, and thread every E3, mostly because the Vita is still around doing it's thing with the nice little niche it carved out that everyone swore would dry up three years ago. The ports might take a little longer and it might not get as many of them but it's still my premier destination for playing indie titles and digital Japanese games.

Nah the ones that got the shortest end of the stick was the dev house who churned the game in record time for peanuts because ATVI was too cheap to provide basically anything.
Pretty surprising when you see that they paid nspace for years to make portable CoD on DS (last one being in 2011!).

Ah yes, the Resistance Vita dev.

Yeah, it's also surprising given how Activision invested in Treyarch porting over the CoD engine and many of its main games. Though it probably makes sense that Treyarch were busy with Wii U Black Ops 2.

Beenox is said to be working on the series for Switch, wonder how that'll go...

Reorx

I don't agree that the memory cards price killed the vita, you always had the option to buy the smaller ones and very soon after launch 8GB memory cards were bundled to almost every vita. The exhorbitant price of memory doesn't seem to be a problem with apple products like iphone or ipad atleast.
A large part of the handheld market got eaten up by smartphones and when your main competitor Mario, Pokemon, Zelda, Monster Hunter etc. plays there is little you can do.
Sony tried to give the Vita a massive push with aclaimed western franchises like Assasins Creed and Call of Duty, but in the end the effort was sadly not worth it.
Imo the Vita was ahead of it's time, playing PS2-PS3 graphics on the go was fantastic.
I still use mine, even ordered a new one from hong kong, to play some RPG

antibolo

Banned
I'm back on my Vita now that I've run out of stuff to play on my Switch. And even as the Switch library keeps growing I'll still be quite busy with the Vita this year, with Cosmic Star Heroine, Danganronpa 3, and Chaos;Child.

It's sad how even on an enthusiast forum like GAF, the tired narrative of the Vita having "no games" is still held onto to this day.

With that said, Shawn and any other Sony exec can go fuck themselves whenever they claim that they love/loved the Vita. It's pretty clear that the Western side of SIE never really wanted it to succeed.

I've heard "Vita has no games" far more often as a sarcastic response to perceived criticism of the platform's software library than as an actual criticism.

KTallguy

Banned
I continue to buy games for the Vita, and play it very often. It's mainly the Japan support and indy support. Sadly I don't really find the FPS stuff that compelling on the Vita. I want more JRPGs, more strategy titles, rhythm and puzzle titles. I'm playing Darkest Dungeon right now, and after they patched it the controls are now 7/10 from 4/10 :)

Darkest Dungeon and games like that mean that the system has a lot of legs for me, even if suddenly releases stop happening forever.

System is not perfect though! I really wonder what Sony thinks of the space. Are they completely willing to cede to Nintendo?

Mael

Ah yes, the Resistance Vita dev.

Yeah, it's also surprising given how Activision invested in Treyarch porting over the CoD engine and many of its main games. Though it probably makes sense that Treyarch were busy with Wii U Black Ops 2.

Beenox is said to be working on the series for Switch, wonder how that'll go...

That's Nihilistic games, they're dead now.
Beenox worked on most of CoD and Skylander games these days.
They're safe for now.

I think Sony and ATVI's handling of CoD Vita killed Nihilistic though, kind of shitty of them :/

I don't agree that the memory cards price killed the vita, you always had the option to buy the smaller ones and very soon after launch 8GB memory cards were bundled to almost every vita. The exhorbitant price of memory doesn't seem to be a problem with apple products like iphone or ipad atleast.
A large part of the handheld market got eaten up by smartphones and when your main competitor Mario, Pokemon, Zelda, Monster Hunter etc. plays there is little you can do.
Sony tried to give the Vita a massive push with aclaimed western franchises like Assasins Creed and Call of Duty, but in the end the effort was sadly not worth it.
Imo the Vita was ahead of it's time, playing PS2-PS3 graphics on the go was fantastic.
I still use mine, even ordered a new one from hong kong, to play some RPG

Memory cards aren't the only reason the system bit the dust but come on you can't honestly compare it's memory card situation to Apples, can you? Apple included memory standard, the Vita didn't (at first). It's tough to push a digital store front when the cost of entry is high and not made easy to understand. Sony screwed up the memory situation on the Vita. No question about it. Combine that with the lack of support after a decent start and it was game over. Cell phone gaming only hastened it's demise.

MikeyB

I am going to Hong Kong in July. Hopefully, I will still be able to find the Vita in stores there.

Edit: All y'all talking about legacies, but I just picked up Capcom Classics Remixed and Reloaded for $4 CAD. I have half of my childhood arcade on hand now.

I don't really believe this.

Switch has a ton of super expensive accesories and people waste their money on them like their lives depend on that

in all truth, softwarewise it had pretty awful first two years and by then it was over.

Huge difference between accessories and "absolutely required to get intended use from the system."

The memory card prices were an absolute "gotcha" move and that's a quick way to make consumers hate your product.

Kthulhu

I love you Vita. Your daddy is a neglectful asshole that did nothing but try to sabotage you for most of your life. Everyone said you were going to be a failure but you didn't give a shit what people said. You just fought on through the hardships of life and gave us your love. Countless hours of your love have been spread to so many people. Not enough people returned the favour, but know that those of us that did will not stop. We will continue to spread the word of Vita for the rest of our lives, as Vita means life. And as Nintendo Switch continues what you started, know that you have left a fine legacy. A legacy that will go down in the ages. You will be remembered. I raise my glass to you, Vita. You accomplished more than you had any right to. Well done, Vita. Well done.

This is the most GAF post I've seen in awhile.

lol you're so full of crap! The Vita was Sony's best platform launch ever in terms of quantity and quality software. Vita had strong support out the gate and for the first year. You actually think that same level of support would have made it take off? At most it'd have a few more million units sold.

Launch and that's all. It's just as I said: They made their 1st parties work for the launch and then disappear.

As for being full of crap, do I have to remind you E3 2012 ? Or is it taboo ?

Launch and that's all. It's just as I said: They made their 1st parties work for the launch and then disappear.

As for being full of crap, do I have to remind you E3 2012 ? Or is it taboo ?

Yes, SCEA definitely treated the platform as DOA almost immediately after launch.

That doesn't that they were wrong to do so and that forcing Naughty Dog, Sucker Punch, etc. to develop for it wouldn't have amounted to throwing money down a hole.

I always found it interesting that Vita game cards were restricted to 4GB. For something more powerful than the the PS2, Xbox and Wii all those consoles had 4.7GB with support for up to 8.7GB.

I know several PS2 collections only had the first game on the cart and you had to download the rest.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
That reminds me: wasn't there a rumour that Sony got the short end of the stick with the CoD deal with Activision, and that was SCEA's budget for the Vita spent?

As an aside, many platforms suffer from the "no games" stigma, including the PS3, which ultimately got turned around and had momentum in 2013 (The Last of Us! Instant Game Collection!) to ensure people gave Sony the benefit of the doubt with PS4.

How did the PS3 overcome the stigma? Simple, Sony developed lots and lots of big and good games and showed them and many others at every E3, something that SCEA didn't do with Vita.

EDIT:
if a bad looking terrible game without content was able to waste all the money for Vita you can understand how much SCEA loved Vita.

Regarding why it doesn't work in western market, maybe it's because Sony doesn't market it any more

lol I don't think any more marketing could help Vita. It was never going to succeed in the West. It's just not a portable gaming society. The only portable systems that succeed outside Asia are the ones with Pokemon.

Memory

Lol thanks for the laugh. Can't believe he seriously said he doesn't know why it didn't take off in the West.

Its bad enough they fucked up the Vita, but the Vita TV had the potential to breath new life and they completely fucked it up also.

Still they have success with the PS4 and PSVR so i'm sure they are not losing any sleep.

lol you're so full of crap! The Vita was Sony's best platform launch ever in terms of quantity and quality software. Vita had strong support out the gate and for the first year. You actually think that same level of support would have made it take off? At most it'd have a few more million units sold.
It had a nice launch but few system sellers which is pretty important. Wii U had like 32 titles on day one, still sold like garbage in the long run.
Vita also had another Wii U problem where a lot of its bigger games had PS3/4 or 3DS equivalents. Uncharted 3 was bigger and better made by the main studio and it released less than 4 months apart.
Killzone Mercenary came out like 2 months before the PS4 launch title.
Even the fans of those franchises didn't feel compelled to get a Vita.
Vita was never a full priority for Sony

ggx2ac

It seems some people haven't caught up to current events since they seem to think the Vita isn't dead in Japan.

Go to the current media create thread, Vita is selling 4k units weekly, that was Wii U numbers before Splatoon came out, its YTD sales are ~190k, last YTD at the same time is ~410k.

The Vita is reaching the end of its life cycle and Japanese third party developers are moving onto PS4, Switch or both.

"It’s hard to know exactly why, but it didn’t garner a large enough audience here for us to continue to build for it.”

Wow, Sony pr is on fire today.

How oblivious can you be?

Top Bottom