• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shenmue Was Released 15 Years Ago Today in Japan

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Remember when GameFan panned the game the day it was released and everyone flipped the fuck out?

http://www.goodcowfilms.com/farm/games/news-archive/First Impressions Of Yu Suzuki's Shenmue....htm

Maybe it'll be more fun in English, when we understand what everyone is saying... but somehow, I doubt that knowing the content of what's issuing forth from the perfectly-synched lips of fifty different NPC's is going to make wasting hours at a stretch--doing absolutely nothing--worthwhile. This is the evolution of what we, as a gaming public, used to loathe: Interactive Movies. Do real-time visuals, as opposed to Full-Motion Video, really turn a bad game into a good one? Suzuki and company promised a lot with Shenmue... and it looks to me like they got a little too big for their britches. Springing the occasional QTE on you after an hour of walking around talking to people and "looking at the pretty pictures" doesn't qualify as quality game play, in my book.

It's just funny how far the industry (and the press) shifted. I think Shenmue hardly qualifies as an interactive movie, though. I think it has very clear adventure game roots!

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Remember when GameFan panned the game the day it was released and everyone flipped the fuck out?

http://www.goodcowfilms.com/farm/games/news-archive/First Impressions Of Yu Suzuki's Shenmue....htm

Maybe it'll be more fun in English, when we understand what everyone is saying... but somehow, I doubt that knowing the content of what's issuing forth from the perfectly-synched lips of fifty different NPC's is going to make wasting hours at a stretch--doing absolutely nothing--worthwhile. This is the evolution of what we, as a gaming public, used to loathe: Interactive Movies. Do real-time visuals, as opposed to Full-Motion Video, really turn a bad game into a good one? Suzuki and company promised a lot with Shenmue... and it looks to me like they got a little too big for their britches. Springing the occasional QTE on you after an hour of walking around talking to people and "looking at the pretty pictures" doesn't qualify as quality game play, in my book.

The only thing they were wrong about was that it was less fun in English. That dub is dire.

Boring game overall.

Rymuth

Remember, kids...Lan Di is somewhere in the Caribbean, drinking from a cocktail with a tiny umbrella in it.

Only videogame villain to actually get away with it.

Teggy

How come Shenmue has not been released with the Dreamcast collections like Crazy Taxi, Sonic Adventure, etc?

FaintDeftone

Shenmue 3 needs to happen. That HD collection needs to happen too. I mean, if Sega ponies up the cash for an HD version of NiGHTS Into Dreams and a Wii sequel, which seems far more obscure, why not Shenmue?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
How come Shenmue has not been released with the Dreamcast collections like Crazy Taxi, Sonic Adventure, etc?

No one would buy it, prob.

I really thought Shenmue was going to get an XBLA release at one point. Wasn't it on PartnerNet at some point?

I played the US version on Dreamcast when it came out.

I liked it a fair bit, but never bothered to play Shenmue II. I see it as a game that was impressive at the time, but I don't really look at it with too much nostalgia.

I feel like the Yakuza games did a good job of taking my favorite parts of Shenmue and continuing them.

ChaosXVI

Today I've discovered that my disc 1 of Shenmue no longer works...Thought it was my Dreamcast going out but I tried it in a few others and it won't load the game after the opening cutscene...

Really sucks...anybody got a spare? Eh?...

It's astonishing that SEGA hasn't ported this to any other system...It's one of the only Dreamcast exclusives left. I find it difficult to believe that Shenmue was that much less popular than Jet Set Radio or fucking NiGHTS.

Lucumo

soon...
60173-shenmue-iii-special-edition.png

Bah, no thanks. It's impossible to make Shenmue 3 nowadays and thus it will suck/disappoint. Would have loved to see the story get completed but I can live without it, or rather, I prefer the legacy to not be ruined (that shitty smartphone game was already enough).

Diabelli

I don't think I've ever been so engrossed in a game before. It used to blow my mind when Santa Clause walked the streets close to Christmas time in the game, or when I saw a guy walk into a bar, get drunk and then stumble around town before sobering up on a park bench. Shit was legit back then. I first played it on the Christmas of 2000, and I will forever associate it with Christmas; it's the Die Hard of videogames.

Nameless

Such an incredible game for the time. The day/night cycle, the weather, NPCs with their own individual routines--I spent hours following people and watching as they shopped for fruit or ate Raman. Then it was back to playing arcade games, collecting Amiibos, getting hustled gambling, and destroying Fuku-San up and down the dojo...basically everything besides looking for my father's killer.

Also, the game quietly had perhaps the worst character in gaming history:

ig362d2.jpg

I honestly wanted to bathe in Tom's blood more than Lan Di's.

scarybore

Released 15 years ago and I just recently turned 30, and I think I've had a Shenmue avatar for 90% of the time I've been a member here as well, including my current one, so I've been infatuated with the series for half my life. Kind of crazy when you think about it.

Was really disappointed that no HD port came out on the previous gen consoles despite some evidence that it was planned. Hopefully Sega still has plans for a port, my Dreamcast and discs aren't going to last forever.

What's happening to Iwao in that poster?

I was wondering the same thing.

M09482

Neo Member
My only gaming regret is knowing I will never be able to play the epic conclusion to the greatest game series ever made.

I played the first game on a DC which I later sold. When Shenmue 2 came out I bought a used DC to play both games again. At the time I had the flu and I remember the smell of the DC as I opened up the box, excited to play the games. To this day whenever i get a cold I am reminded of that amazing day, needless to say, I'm glad to get sick.

Gamezone

Gold Member
My worst fear is that if Shenmue 3 ever happens, the game will probably not be as good as the first two games. Games today aren`t developed as games were back in the day.

One of the most underrated games ever. It truly is the most immersive game that ive ever played.

Ive never seen another game do what Shenmue 2, disk 4 did. What a mind blowing experience.

Also, the game quietly had perhaps the worst character in gaming history:

ig362d2.jpg

I honestly wanted to bathe in Tom's blood more than Lan Di's.

You mean you didn't shed a tear when Ryo looked up at that airplane and wistfully said "My friend... Tom"? You monster.

Dollar Yen

Neo Member
- I miss my this game. I probably still have bootleg Shenmue 2 kicking around.

- I remembered bragging to my friends about how this game was like real life. Sure - 1 hour a day span can really be akin to the feeling, but damn: what a game this was! Using a mini game as a job. Also, practicing in the parking lot. Learning new moves from key characters you met. Even Tom had a move! Groovy ass Tom. Interesting concepts at the time of its' release. Suzuki needs to stop hashing out fixes to VF. Make the third chapter instead.

Midou

My worst fear is that if Shenmue 3 ever happens, the game will probably not be as good as the first two games. Games today aren`t developed as games were back in the day.

Honestly I can't speak for everyone, but I don't need it to be 100% identical for it to be 'as good', I just need to know what happens so I can have closure.

I don't really expect or hold onto the belief that it will happen, I would just like an HD-port of the first two games since my Dreamcast don't work so well anymore, and I'd rather not maintain both my DC and the game disks just to be able to play my favorite games of all time.

Coin Return

Loose Slot
The Gamestop I used to frequent as a kid had an imported Dreamcast that they'd loop demo videos over and over with, and it looked amazing. I remember reading this review before release:

The only other time I'd been that hyped for a game was Mario 64, and both surpassed my expectations.

Ferrio

Banned
Back when QTEs were magically considered good for some odd reason. Still don't understand why everyone flipped their shit over them. I didn't like the game personally, I powered through it though since I told myself I couldn't start Skies of Arcadia until I finished Shenmue. (released both same week)

Musolf815

I played Shenmue for the first time earlier this year, and it ended up being one of the most fun and immersive games I've ever played.

I applaud Gamefan's enthusiasm usually, but they were simply wrong when it comes to Shenmue. It was not the time or place to make that point. It is more than an interactive movie, and just because it is a videogame doesn't mean the game has to be action-packed every minute.

I think this is one of the few console games that dared to take the medium to the next level. That it even got made is shocking, it was a crazy project.
Amazing game. Great memories.

Spent my entire christmas break being immersed in this game. One of the most memorable solitary gaming moments I've had since FFVII.

i can understand Shenmue not been a saint of devotion too many, but it's one of those games that resonates with me deeply.

Japan was lucky enough to get it's first taste even months before december 29th with the "What's Shenmue" sample disk.

Wonder if one of those devoted and vey talented fans will retrofit some VR support to this game. i can just imagine opening the drawers in FPS view.

ShenmueNextGen

Neo Member
Remember, kids...Lan Di is somewhere in the Caribbean, drinking from a cocktail with a tiny umbrella in it.

[...]
Something like this? :p
CQvrn7T.jpg

No one would buy it, prob.

I really thought Shenmue was going to get an XBLA release at one point. Wasn't it on PartnerNet at some point?

Gio Corsi (Director of Third Party Production for Sony PlayStation) said that Shenmue is the number one request of the #BuildingTheList campaign:

n3F2xMC.jpg

vjJhB2u.jpg

It seems there are legal/copyright problems prevented HD ports from happening:
vMSkiyc.jpg

oiSesQI.jpg

[Source: http://www.shenmuedojo.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=47323]

[...] It is more than an interactive movie, and just because it is a videogame doesn't mean the game has to be action-packed every minute.

I think this is one of the few console games that dared to take the medium to the next level. That it even got made is shocking, it was a crazy project.
Amazing game. Great memories.
Shenmue is a lifelike interactive experience, set in a fictitious cinematic three-dimensional world, while inspecting it like virtual tourism and being immersed in it through its deep personalities and the reflection of high-morality, as well as the culture, the history, the mythology and the scenery of Japan and China.

Its pacing "encourages players to slow down, think, and feel emotions that are deeper — or at least different — than quick adrenaline shots" [to quote Robin Hunicke (co-creator of Journey)].

Shenmue breathes life, it breathes human values; it's full of humanity. It's more than a game. Even the developers were start asking themselves: "Is this really game?" (or "Can you even call it a game?" or again "Is this a game?")

Nowadays, open-world games are about instant gratification, but Shenmue moves in a higher level; that of delayed gratification. But indeed, always in high ethical levels. It is dealing with the true nature of martial arts, that is the calmness of one's self and be in the present/now. In other games you control bullies/criminals/etc, in Shenmue you control a very polite teenager (who has yet to fully grow).

And those things of modern open world games, personally I found them boring. How much are you going to destroy and kill people? Is that inspiring? No, it has no spirit. It's only instinctual and barbarian. And the average person has the attention span of a newt, and can't appreciate anything but constant kill kill kill, shoot shoot shoot.

Zafir

It's kind of odd people think Shenmue isn't a game. I always thought Shenmue was where Adventure games were heading. The genre kind of died though, until Telltale changed the formula in The Walking Dead. (I'm fully aware Telltale made games before that, I own them, but they were never big or popular)

This and Last Guardian. Let it go people. It's never happening.

I would like to believe that if some dev/publisher really wanted to they would have released the first game just up-rezed to 1080p for the PS41 to gauge interest. It hasn't happened. And it's not going to happen because everyone knows damn well it's not going to sell more than 100,000 copies worldwide.

ranmafan

Wow 15 years now. How time flies. I remember getting my import copy the morning of dec 31, 1999, and it was the last game I played before the year 2000. The next week I spent all my free time playing it. A wonderful gaming experience. The excitement and antipation of that games release is still one of the most exciting for me. Such a wonderful game. I may have to pull it out this week and play again, especially the 70 man battle if my save is still there for that.

Top Bottom