• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sherlock Series 4 |OT| - Did You Miss Me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boem

Strangely the weakest episode of S2 was episode 2 and weakest episode of S3 was episode 1. Both written by Mark. I really loved his The Great Game but since then his episodes have been the weakest of the bunch..by a mile.

This is also always the case in his work in Doctor Who. His scripts are rarely outright bad, but never outstanding either. Just a bit bland. He's often surrounded by far better writers too. He's good for your run-of-the-mill, straightforward Doctor Who/Sherlock adventure that makes for enjoyable enough television, but it never moves beyond that.

As for season 3, I know a lot of people are down on it but I honestly think The Sign of Three and His Last Vow were both outstanding pieces of television. The latter might be the best script Moffat has ever written, even though it's not my personal favorite, if that makes any sense. It may lack the grandeur of earlier finales, but there's a lot of beautiful, layered characterization going on there. Every time I rewatch it (I think I've seen it 3 times) I walk away more impressed. I think it'll be one of those stories that will gain more appreciation when people start looking back on the series as a whole in a decade or so.

I thought Power of Three was outstanding too, and watching it live felt like watching a television classic. I was really surprised to see so many people who didn't like it.

I didn't care for the Victorian Christmas special though. I get why they did it, and maybe it'd be okay as a bit of Christmas fluff, but it didn't work for me (especially considering the drought of Sherlock that followed). It felt like it could have been a great Doctor Who episode, but it didn't measure up as a Sherlock episode. I think my biggest problem was that the character of Sherlock works in the main series because he's really a story, a mythical character living in our world. Benedict's performance shines in that context. In the special, everyone was playing a caricature, and as a result of that Sherlock himself didn't work in that context. He was just drowned out in that entire special by every single actor hamming it up. Watson was great though.

Overall, I get that people want more regular stories with Watson and Sherlock just solving cases, but I just don't think that's what this series is. It was never as procedural as that - the fact that Sherlock can solve any mystery means that the mysteries are never really in the foreground. They all have a clever puzzlebox format (which is always what Moffat excelled at, on Who as well), but it's always there to support character studies on these people. I think that's what makes it stand out, and the fact that the seasons are relatively short really works for that. It's more prestige tv than procedural, and while I totally understand why people would prefer the latter, it totally goes against what this series has been doing since the beginning (although that was the original intent of the show, back when it was still intended to be 6 60 minute episodes a season, and The Blind Banker is a telling holdover from that idea, which is really the only episode that fits in the more procedural style, and is still probably the worst episode of the entire series simply because it feels so standard compared to the rest).

Hyun Sai

I think season 3 is the most cohesive in quality.

"The blind Banker" and "The hounds of Baskerville" are incredibly weak, I don't think I ever re-watched them.

"The sign of three" and "His last vow" are some incredibly subtle masterpieces of characterization. I want more of these !

Blader

Strangely the weakest episode of S2 was episode 2 and weakest episode of S3 was episode 1. Both written by Mark. I really loved his The Great Game but since then his episodes have been the weakest of the bunch..by a mile.
It's not that strange, Gatiss isn't a very good writer.

I will give him credit for An Adventure in Space and Tiime, though. Not sure what the consensus on that movie was but I thought it was great.

UrbanRats

Episode 2 of every season is the weakest one, but I think the big disappointment of S3 lies mostly on how utterly nonsense and stupid Magnussen revealed himself to be.
He started out as an imposing and scary new villain, and turned out to be an idiot in a world of biggers idiots, and was dealt with in a very stupid way.

Not that Sherlock didn't stretch believability before, but it felt particularly dumb in that episode, probably because it started fairly strong.

Also I can't even remember what the first episode was about, there was a bomb in the metro?

Boem

You know, I'd agree with that for Season 1 and 2, but I thought the second episode was the best one in Season 3.

Yeah, honestly I'd say The Power of Three is a modern classic in television. I think the first episode of the third series is the weak point, although I do think there's a lot to like there too.

I already stand by the facts that: Baskerville is actually a lot of fun, Blind Banker is a load of horseshit & Sign of Three was my favorite episode of S3.

So no, not all second episodes of Sherlock suck. It's only Blind Banker that truly sucks.

Lanf

First season that I'll be on board while it airs. Can't wait!!

Haha, me too. Only discovered this early this year, so hasn't been that long of a wait for me. Really excited, can't understand how it went under my radar for so long.

Media

I didn't find any of the seasons to be noticeably weak. It's all quality stuff as far as I'm concerned.

Me too. I disliked Blind Banker, but compared to some it was still top tier in terms of quality to me. This entire series has blown me out of the water. I really hope this isn't the last of it.

Wollan

Any ways to get this in digital form and not broadcast? In the UK.
If I use the BBC iPlayer I will have to pay the yearly TV license (and I don't use regular TV).

Media

I've been lazy and haven't made sure I have this set up to record, and now it's late and I can't turn not tvs. I hope I don't sleep in to late tomorrow/today.

Joni

Ah, less than 12 hours to go. It is one of those few shows I can actually watch live although it ends a bit late, so I might just tape it.

Set my DVR on Friday for tonight and for next Sunday.

Still debating if I'm gonna go to the theaters to watch the finale, but I'll still record it regardless.

VeeP

Episode 2 of every season is the weakest one, but I think the big disappointment of S3 lies mostly on how utterly nonsense and stupid Magnussen revealed himself to be.
He started out as an imposing and scary new villain, and turned out to be an idiot in a world of biggers idiots, and was dealt with in a very stupid way.

Not that Sherlock didn't stretch believability before, but it felt particularly dumb in that episode, probably because it started fairly strong.

Also I can't even remember what the first episode was about, there was a bomb in the metro?

I personally felt that Season 3's episode 2 was the best of that season. The episode was great.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Is there a legal way of watching this tonight in NA if I don't have cable?

PBS is a free over the air network, and Sherlock is part of their Masterpiece series. The network covers most areas in the US. They're usually pretty good about putting their content on the PBS.org website the next day as well, no subscription needed. Not 100% sure that's the deal with Sherlock but they do it with everything else.

http://www.pbs.org/about/about-pbs/stations/

Not sure who is carrying it for Canada.

Davide

So...I'm quite a bit disappointed.

I'm not one of those people that hates S3 because it's not what I expected. I admit that S3 was better than S1 as a whole despite a lackluster episode 1. The writing, acting is all top tier TV. Character development of S3 was exceptional.

But I just read a non-spoiler review of episode 1 and I am severely disappointed.
I want the show to go back to being about Sherlock Holmes & John Watson. Instead it has become about Sherlock, John & Mary. I hate Mary. She was tolerable and enjoyable as a side character but the way she has been bumped up to main character status has left me severely disappointed. I know it's just episode 1 but I'm gonna keep my expectations in check because of this.

I have high expectations for the episode, but I agree with all of this.

And Mark Gatiss wrote the absolute worst episode of Moffat Doctor Who in 2015.

dLMN8R

This airs in 25 minutes in the UK, right?

Is there any (legal) way to watch Sherlock in the US Pacific Time before 9PM Pacific Time / Midnight Eastern?

I have my DVR set to record PBS tonight at 9PM PST but would love to get it earlier if possible.

Joni

It started. Sherlock tweeting during a secure meeting. He gotta meet Trump.
What a terrible 'photoshop'.

Alienous

Is this characterization weird or have I just not watched Sherlock in awhile? Maybe I just can't unsee Cumberbatch now.

Auctopus

Opening was the perfect example of how overrated Moffat is. Barely crawling out of the corners he constantly writes himself in to, makes things feel so bloated with no stakes. Whatever mortal danger characters appear in this season, it feels like it won't matter cause he'll retcon in the next season.

Also, I don't know if it's meant to be but Cumberwatch sounds weird, isn't acting right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom