• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shia LaBeouf and Alec Baldwin Cast in the Same Play; LaBeouf Punted; Madness Ensues

Status
Not open for further replies.

lenovox1

For clarity, here's the Post's summary of events:

NY Post's Page Six said:
Shia LaBeouf abruptly exited his Broadway debut, “Orphans,” following apparent disagreements with his hot-tempered co-star Alec Baldwin that made them “incompatible.”

Producers announced that LaBeouf parted ways with the show after just a week of rehearsals due to “creative differences,” even though the play’s scheduled to begin previews March 19.

But last night LaBeouf, 26, posted e-mail exchanges on Twitter revealing divisions between him and bombastic Baldwin.

In a message titled “Creative Differences” LaBeouf posted an e-mail to him from director Dan Sullivan, which reads, “I’m too old for disagreeable situations. You’re one hell of a great actor. Alec is who he is. You are who you are. You two are incompatible. I should have known it. This one will haunt me. You tried to warn me. You said you were a different breed. I didn’t get it.”

LaBoeuf also displays an e-mail to Baldwin that talks about acting like a real man, adding, “A man can tell you he was wrong . . . He can apologize, even if sometimes its just to put an end to the bickering. Alec, I’m sorry for my part of a disagreeable situation.” (Hat tip to Gawker who noticed that LaBoeuf lifted the passage verbatim from Tom Chiarella's piece "What Is a Man?" from Esquire's 2009 "How to Be a Man" issue.)

An e-mail from Baldwin in response reads, “I don’t have an unkind word to say about you. You have my word.”

But sources close to the show tell The Post’s Michael Riedel that LaBeouf “was fired because he wasn’t good in the role,” and the actor is blaming it on his differences with Baldwin.

But Monday, LaBeouf wrote on Twitter, “Put my hand thru the door at rehearsals. then apologized to our playwright — this was his response.” He posted an e-mail from playwright Lyle Kessler, which read, “What you’re doing is beautiful.”

LaBeouf posted a final screenshot of an e-mail exchange with his second ex-co-star, Tom Sturridge.

In the message, Sturridge writes to LaBeouf, “I don’t understand what has happened here” and compliments the “Transformers” star for “[lifting] the play to a place higher than maybe it ever deserved to be.”

On a happier note, this morning the actor posted yet another screenshot of an e-mail from “Orphans” fight director Rick Sordelet. Sordelet, who also lectures at Yale University, praises LaBeouf and tells him that the head of the Yale School of Drama’s acting department “would love to talk to you about the MFA program.”

“Orphans” is an intense play about two orphaned brothers who survive on petty thievery and cans of tuna. When they kidnap a rich gangster (Baldwin), he morphs into their father figure.

As if Baldwin didn’t have enough problems, his week started off with him facing hate-crimes accusations over a racially charged run-in with a Post photographer.

LaBeouf’s rep declined to comment last night.

http://www.nypost.com/p/pagesix/baldwin_shia_way_beef_sryapDDbiP62s0fzLSIXjM

Original OP:

I was waiting for someone to compile Shia's Twitter craziness into one big article before posting about this, and DListed sums things up pretty well.

Shia LaDouche was supposed to make his Broadway debut opposite Alec Baldwin and Tom Sturridge in the play Orphans, but he dropped out just a week into rehearsals and the old "creative differences" excuse was the reason given for why he quit that bitch. I figured that meant everybody was busy being creative while he was in the corner drunkenly punching a metal folding chair, because it told him his performance in Transformers was emotionally lacking. Others figured that Shia was fired because when he got into the same room as Alec, the asshole levels exploded and the 100-year-old bricks on the walls started to break and crumble. Those who figured that were right! I think.

A source told The New York Times that director Daniel Sullivan was worried about Shia's "performance choices" and had several talks with Shia and the producers about this before he decided that the role should be recast. Shita (typo and it stays) couldn't keep his mouth shut about this and he went a Twitter rampage last night, tweeting the e-mail he wrote to everyone involved in the production and then he posted everyone's responses. Shia's email was co-produced by his local weed dealer and Jack Daniels, because it is a rambling stream of melodramatic ridiculousness. If Game of Thrones was rebooted and set in 1940s Boston and written by a writer who claims he's the second coming of David Mamet, this is what one of the monologues would read like. This is some serious Valar Dohaeris shit and not in a good way:

My dad was a drug dealer. He was a shit human. But he was a man. He taught me how to be a man. What I know of men, Alec is. A man is good at his job. Not his work, not his avocation, not his hobby. Not his career. His job. A man can look you up and down and figure some things out. Before you say a word, he makes you. From your suitcase, from your watch, from your posture. A man infers.

A man owns up. That’s why Mark McGwire is not a man. A man grasps his mistakes. He lays claim to who he is, and what he was, whether he likes them or not. Some mistakes, though, he lets pass if no one notices. Like dropping the steak in the dirt.

He does not rely on rationalizations or explanations. He doesn’t winnow, winnow, winnow until truths can be humbly categorized, or intellectualized, until behavior can be written off with an explanation. A man knows his tools and how to use them – just the ones he needs. Knows which saw is for what, how to find the stud. A man does not know everything. He doesn’t try. He likes what other men know. A man can tell you he was wrong. That he did wrong. That he planned to. He can tell you when he is lost. He can apologize, even if sometimes it’s just to put an end to the bickering. Alec, I’m sorry for my part of a dis-agreeable situation. - Shia.”​

A man also knows how to wear out a fucking bong, apparently. What kind of pretentious foolery? Like dropping shit in my eyes. Even James Franco is like, "Hit the brakes, Shia!"

UPDATE: Shia LaDouche's "a man" monologue was pretty much a copy + paste job of this article from Esquire. Of course!

And here's Alec's response. It's best if you read this in Michael Caine's voice, because I'm pretty sure this is one of Alfred's speeches from Batman:

“I’ve been through this before. It’s been a while. And perhaps some of the particulars are different. But it comes down to the fact that what we all do now is critical. Perhaps especially fro you. When the change comes, how do we handle it, whether it be good or bad? What do we learn? I don’t have an unkind word to say about you. You have my word. – AB”​

Shia responded with, "Same. Be well. Good luck on the play. You'll be great."

And Tom Sturridge responded with:

“Are you still here? I don’t really know what to write. I went in this afternoon and they were all there… producers, etc. I said my piece but they didn’t really listen. I don’t understand what has happened here. Maybe you have had a more enlightening conversation with someone by now. All I can say is that it truly was an honour to work with you even if it was only for a few days. I was stunned by the work you were doing, the performance you were giving. I think you lifted the play to a place high than maybe it even deserved to be. I hope this isn’t the last time we work together and I especially hope it isn’t the last time we see each other. Hope you’re ok brother – Tom”​

I think what Tom really meant to write was, "Are you still here, because it sounds like the shit you're smoking is making your brain liquefy and leak out of the pores on your head and I'm going to need your dealer's number."

And finally, Daniel Sullivan responded with this:

“I’m too old for disagreeable situations. You’re on hell of a great actor. Alec is who he is. You are who you are. You two are incompatible. I should have known it. This one will haunt me. You tried to warn me. You said you were a different breed. I didn’t get it. – Dan“​

Actor and theater people are so beyond weird. Why aren't all of us in the theater? You get to smoke a lot of drugs and write emails like you're a character in a superhero movie. "You tried to warn me! The change is coming! I should've listened! Have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight?"

And since we've gone this far, let's go all the way and let the foolery tip our chairs back until we fall on the floor. Here's Shia's audition video:

http://vimeo.com/58326220

Oh, and they've already replaced him by newcomer Ben Foster.

I've bolded around Michael K.'s color commentary, but must read the whole thing for the full effect. (Source)

The only thing Michael K. neglected to mention was that Shia also tweeted an article about the difficulties actress Jan Maxwell had while working with Alec on a production.

--

And I've posted crazier, more pretentious things on NeoGAF, of all places, so I don't have much room to comment.

aku:jiki

Whoever wrote that is a far bigger douche than Shia is. We get it, you hate the guy, don't need to mention it in every fucking sentence.

lenovox1

To add, Shia also tweeted something about putting his hand through a door during rehearsals. That guy is a class act, isn't he?

dorkimoe

Gold Member
He might be in some shitty movies but I've never seen anything that says he's a douche. In fact, he seems like a decent guy.

I would say the opposite. He is in some decent movies, but seems like a shitty person?

He was awesome in lawless though

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
He might be in some shitty movies but I've never seen anything that says he's a douche. In fact, he seems like a decent guy.

I used to defend Shia, never got all the hate. He opens his mouth entirely too much and he has burned just about every bridge he had in hollywood. Spielberg loved this guy, was trying to make him a star, and Shia came out and called him out. On top of this he went on that rant about how he can't stand blockbusters and normal hollywood and that he will never work on big name movies again, because they're not "artistic" enough... he's a douche unfortunately.

tumblr_m8joh8RbTY1rnftvm.gif

I loved him growing up.

AlexBasch

I used to defend Shia, never got all the hate. He opens his mouth entirely too much and he has burned just about every bridge he had in hollywood. Spielberg loved this guy, was trying to make him a star, and Shia came out and called him out. On top of this he went on that rant about how he can't stand blockbusters and normal hollywood and that he will never work on big name movies again, because they're not "artistic" enough... he's a douche unfortunately.
What msdstc said. I didn't mind him back then, but as time went by? He earned the douche medal, sorry.

Darklord

Banned

Oh really? Well damn, no wonder he's been in shit all recently.

FStop7

Banned
I can't follow that shit.

That said, I don't think Shia has ever called anyone "a coon", unlike Alec Baldwin.

Therefore, #teamshia.

lenovox1

Just scroll through the "evidence." There's a "LaDOUCHE" tag on DListed for a reason.

It's mostly drunken antics, bar brawls, and generally pretentious behavior. The crazy stuff 20-somethings get into. But remember when he outed that he climbed on top of Mt. Megan Fox in a magazine without telling her first? Good times. Good times.

(If you're saying that he seems cool to hang out with, that's a different subject.)

Loxley

What? Who did that?

LaBeouf implied in an interview that he banged Megan Fox during production of one of the Transformers movies. This would have been while she was engaged/married to Brian Austin Green (which I think she still is? I don't know).

Ben Foster is an upgrade for sure.

Agreed, very underrated. Both of these guys were also on freaks and geeks.

huge fucking upgrade.

Preach on, GAF.

11554057gal.jpg

FStop7

Banned
LaBeouf implied in an interview that he banged Megan Fox during production of one of the Transformers movies. This would have been while she was engaged/married to Brian Austin Green (which I think she still is? I don't know).

Preach on, GAF.

11554057gal.jpg

Wait, that's Ben Foster? He was fucking awesome in 3:10 to Yuma.

lol I remember someone in the BB thread hoping that Aaron Paul could have a "Ben Foster like" career after the show.

Yes, let's all hope for articles saying "newcomer Aaron Paul".

"So, what, you call me a newcomer because you haven't seen the scene when Claire told me she had an abortion and I flip out on Six Feet Under and I'm just supposed to like accept? Like, hooray for me because I'm a good actor? What a load of crap! You pretend to be Larry Braverman at Liz Lemon's high school reunion and, what, you accept? You know why I came to this play in the first place? TO REPLACE SHIA LA BEOUF. YOU'RE NOTHIN' TO ME BUT UNDERSTUDIES. I made you my REPLACEMENT. How about now? Huh? You accept?"
".........no."
"'bout time."

Mordeccai

The article, shitty as it was, got me with its Game of Thrones reference. "This is some serious Valar Dohaeris shit right here" made me laugh out loud.

tmarques

You'd think with such a long article the author would at least explain what the f*ck went wrong during rehearsals.

Now this

UPDATE: Shia LaDouche's "a man" monologue was pretty much a copy + paste job of this article from Esquire. Of course!

is incredibly embarrassing. What a moron.

JDSN

Banned
Moron cant even write with his stoned rants. Calling Ben Foster a newcomer is really sad for some reason.

Macmanus

Really? I have several friends who work in the service industry in LA and have been around him personally and it is nothing but horror stories about this kid.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
I just finished work on a play, and I can't even fathom dropping out during rehearsals. What a shitty thing to do to everyone involved in the project.

lenovox1

I just finished work on a play, and I can't even fathom dropping out during rehearsals. What a shitty thing to do to everyone involved in the project.

Backstage just had an article titled 5 Actors That Bowed Out of a Show Early in response to this "drama." And it's not just the film guys that drop out like the article implies. Many people have done it.

It's usually due to "scheduling conflicts" (which usually means that they didn't wantto continue on for whatever reason) or personal/professional commitments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom