• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHIFT 2: UNLEASHED |OT| Is there still need for speed?

heyf00L

Probably so, for now. Seems likely that EA is trying to position themself to leave Steam. I'm sure they don't want to give 10% (or whatever) to Valve. But they also apparently don't want to put the money or effort into making a service as good as Steam.

I'm glad EA got rid of the 1 year download limit, but they still might cancel your account after 2 years of non-use. No thanks.

markao

offshore said:
Have they shown Bathhurst at night? Wasn't it said somewhere that not all tracks will have night racing?
Yes the track was in their trailers, I think the second one in OT.

There's a review in German games magazine GAMES AKTUELL:

+ Varied career
+ Innovative helmet camera
+ Very good damage model
- Frequent departures because of aggressive AI
- flawed penalty system (AI causes accidents > player gets penalty)
- braking points of the racing line sometimes inaccurate

360/PS3 versions got 84%, PC version got 85% because of the better visuals. Bottom line: Shift 2 Unleashed got a worse score than it's predecessor but the review indicates that the AI actually got more aggressive than in the first game.

dubc35

I haven't been paying too much attention to this title but after reading the OP I'm ready to give EA my money. That said, I am going to hold out for some user impressions/reviews. I never played the first one so I am a little hesitant but Bathurst, Spa, Ebisu...win!

The Stig

Geoff9920 said:
Still enjoying the first game on PC. Will definitely pick this up when my backlog isn't so crazy; I've always loved the sense speed their in car view has.

or when it has a steam sale. :p

hope they put some effort into the PC controls this time around.

the game was undriveable without a serious amount of tweaking

Nice OP. Will buy the Steam version when released. With this release looming on the horizon is the first one still worth picking up for $19.99?

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
saladine1 said:
No demo is really a strange decision but whadayagonnado?

codies F1 didn't have a demo due to some f1 license issue, could this be the same for shift 2 and the FIA?

NHale

According to VVVGamer, EA only allows 30 seconds gameplay clips before the game releases in the US. Here is today's video (Elite handling model, no assists): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8M5dfglDDNE&feature=channel_video_title

Is it just me or he doesn't seem happy with the game?

op_ivy said:
codies F1 didn't have a demo due to some f1 license issue, could this be the same for shift 2 and the FIA?

SHIFT 2 isn't a FIA GT1 game, it includes GT1 which is different. Even if FIA didn't allow them to release a demo with GT1 cars, EA could just release a demo with other cars they have in the game.

And by the way did Codemasters really said that Evil Bernie didn't allowed them to release a demo for F1 2010? When Sony had the exclusivity, they released demos and if I recall correctly, Steve Hood said that they had to make a decision between polishing the game or making a demo.

dwebo

NHale said:
According to VVVGamer, EA only allows 30 seconds gameplay clips before the game releases in the US. Here is today's video (Elite handling model, no assists): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8M5dfglDDNE&feature=channel_video_title

Is it just me or he doesn't seem happy with the game?
Seemed pretty neutral about it to me, or at most just annoyed from not being able to provide more detailed impressions. I think I skimmed through a youtube video of this guy going to an EA shift 2 preview event at silverstone, and he was more excited then for the night drive around the track than the actual game, but who can blame him.

just got my copy, mandatory PS3 install :E i thought these were a thing of the past...

super, it also has fully bindable controls, atleast for the dualshock...will have to dig up my DFGT later.

Kyaw

Noisepurge said:
just got my copy, mandatory PS3 install :E i thought these were a thing of the past...

super, it also has fully bindable controls, atleast for the dualshock...will have to dig up my DFGT later.

Do tell us how the cars control!

Kyaw said:
Do tell us how the cars control!

can't give a deep analysis without the wheel, and im no racing-pro.

the startup car is a tuned up GT-R, and that handles quite nicely with the pad, just loose enough for my tastes with these settings:

steering assist: no
braking assist: no
ABS: yes
TC: low
Stability control: yes
damage: full

visually it's nothing to write home about, aliasing all over the place and it is quite murky.
But just like the first Shift, i love the sounds!

dubc35

I thought it didn't come out until the 29th?

Anyway cool, looking forward to any more impressions you have. Thanks for posting them!

amar212

Few extremely informative posts overthere at GTPlanet:

Haehre diggs 3 great blog-posts about structure/handling/autolog features:

http://www.gamerzines.com/need-for-...-career-shift-shift-2-unleasheds-career-mode/

http://www.gamerzines.com/need-for-speed/preview/preview-shift-2-unleasheds-handling-options/

And in case you’re wondering; yes, the handling’s been much improved since the original Need For Speed: Shift.

http://www.gamerzines.com/need-for-...-evolution-autolog-autolog-shift-2-unleashed/

handling options breakdown:
Novice
Steering Assist – Yes (Toggle Yes/No)
Braking Assist – Yes (Toggle Yes/No)
Anti-Lock Brakes – Yes (Toggle Yes/No)
Traction Control – High (Toggle High/Low/No)
Stability Control – Yes (Toggle Yes/No)
Damage – Visual Only (Toggle Visual Only/Full Damage/Off)
Best Line – Yes (Toggle Yes/No)

Normal
Steering Assist – No
Braking Assist – Yes (Toggle Yes/No)

Experienced
Steering Assist – No
Braking Assist – No

Pro
Steering Assist – No
Braking Assist – No
Traction Control – Low (Toggle Low/No)
Stability Control – No (Toggle Yes/No)
Damage – Full Damage (Toggle Visual Only/Full Damage/Off)

Elite
Steering Assist – No
Braking Assist – No
Anti-Lock Brakes – No (Toggle Yes/No)
Traction Control – No (Toggle Low/No)
Stability Control – No (Toggle Yes/No)
Damage – Full Damage (Toggle Visual Only/Full Damage/Off)
Best Line – No (Toggle Yes/No)

sneaky77

That quote about the handling is good news, is what I noticed at PAX but I wasn't sure how many assists there were on, I am not a master sim driver, but I didn't like the demo for shift 1 at all, and what I played at pax was much improved from it. I am hoping for continuing good impressions and I may have to get this.

Wow, this is already coming out? Totally forgot about this game, tbh. I'll wait for some impressions and the mod community to fix whatever needs to be fixed (hopefully not much). The car list looks boring as well, but at least it has the Integrale.

Rflagg

Nice op will be watching thread for impressions, combined with reading/watching reviews this will determine how much of a price drop I will require before buying.

Fake edit: Yes I read/watch reviews and that plays a part in my buying decisions along with many other factors.

markao

Just to let you all know, I will add latest announced to OP later on, still have my beloved Crysis 2 to attend ;)

Nice trailer as always and looks great on PC ;)

[edit] already posted ;)

op_ivy

mik said:
Understatement of the year.

hmmm, i thought the devs said specifically that they worked on better routines for the ai to avoid you. this seems to contradict those statements

saladine1

op_ivy said:
hmmm, i thought the devs said specifically that they worked on better routines for the ai to avoid you. this seems to contradict those statements
Also, those previews I posted include the previewers saying that the AI is much better and less crazy than in the first game...

op_ivy

saladine1 said:
Also, those previews I posted include the previewers saying that the AI is much better and less crazy than in the first game...

thats my point. they said collisions will still occur if you take the wrong line into a corner (into the ai's), or brake too early, which may be what these early reports are seeing.... i just cant see the ai being "more aggressive" with those dev statements.

op_ivy said:
thats my point. they said collisions will still occur if you take the wrong line into a corner (into the ai's), or brake too early, which may be what these early reports are seeing.... i just cant see the ai being "more aggressive" with those dev statements.

from what i've played they have been ramming into me if i drive too slowly out of a corner. Other than that i have no complaints about the AI. And i think i've even seen them driving off course on their own without my influence. Don't know if these are scripted events in certain tracks and certain drivers or more random.

saladine1

That’s not all that’s new and improved in the game, remember how annoyingly aggressive the AI was in the original SHIFT? The whole AI and crashing physics have been seriously improved and while I hated driving against the AI in the original, it’s a whole different experience here.
NFSUnlimited

The hyper aggressive AI is back, but heavily tuned. If you’re going way too slow, the AI will still punt you off mercilessly, but if you’re driving the AI’s pace, prepare for some fireworks. They’ll fight you tooth and nail, taking hyper aggressive lines in attempts to pass you—sometimes late braking and overshooting the corner, or riding the grass on the way in and out. Crashes among AI will happen, and not in an obvious scripted manner (a la Forza’s T1 heroes). Simply put, this is some of the most entertaining AI ever put in a racing game.
Racesimcentral

op_ivy

Noisepurge said:
from what i've played they have been ramming into me if i drive too slowly out of a corner. Other than that i have no complaints about the AI. And i think i've even seen them driving off course on their own without my influence. Don't know if these are scripted events in certain tracks and certain drivers or more random.

sounds like shift 1 (and, i might add, most racers).

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
saladine1 said:

The remix is fucking awesome. It's from a trailer music company just like Two Steps From Hell called "8Dawn". They will remix more tracks.

from facebook

8Dawn recently completed hybrid orchestral remixes for 30 Seconds to Mars, Stone Temple Pilots, Jimmy Eat World, Escape the Fate, Rise Against, The Bravery and Switchfoot for the upcoming Need For Speed. All the songs were completely rewritten only using vocal stems.

markao

Noisepurge said:
Sounds like a slightly improved Shift 1 AI.

My two cents: I think, adding Amar biggest issue with racing line to it (mine also ;) ), to much people just do not know how to drive a track properly (Apex/braking points) and expect somehow a magical AI that compensate for their behaviour. It would be nice if that would be possible one day, but in the mean time just drop your racing line, learn the car/track and your enjoyment of AI will improve. The closer you get to "their 100%" the better the AI becomes, it gets a little worse once you get to good and start to realize their weak points (mostly slow corners).

op_ivy

markao said:
Sounds like a slightly improved Shift 1 AI.

My two cents: I think, adding Amar biggest issue with racing line to it (mine also ;) ), to much people just do not know how to drive a track properly (Apex/braking points) and expect somehow a magical AI that compensate for their behaviour. It would be nice if that would be possible one day, but in the mean time just drop your racing line, learn the car/track and your enjoyment of AI will improve. The closer you get to "their 100%" the better the AI becomes, it gets a little worse once you get to good and start to realize their weak points (mostly slow corners).

reminds me of my time with forza. when i first got to the R1 cars i would constantly get rear ended and f'ed in corners. after a while i realized that the R1 cars have insane braking power and that you can brake super late going into corners and collisions became far more rare.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
op_ivy said:
any quotes or highlights?

I don't have the magazine but on their site they have a small preview.

pro:
- cockpit view mode is great
- car handling is really good and feels real
- many tracks

contra:
- Enemy AI is like Motorstorm they are trying to ram you and stuff like that
- at the beginning of arcade mode only a few cars available

There is also a pic where they are comparing all the racing game cockpit views. And SHIFT 2 UNLEASHED scored the best. Realism: 4/5 and Dynamic: 5/5

op_ivy

Sn4ke_911 said:
I don't have the magazine but on their site they have a small preview.

pro:
- cockpit view mode is great
- car handling is really good and feels real
- many tracks

contra:
- Enemy AI is like Motorstorm they are trying to ram you and stuff like that
- at the beginning of arcade mode only a few cars available

There is also a pic where they are comparing all the racing game cockpit views. And SHIFT 2 UNLEASHED scored the best. Realism: 4/5 and Dynamic: 5/5

i wonder if some of the ai behavior is still driven by the precision and aggression points behind the scenes. if i'm not mistaken, the ai would drive more aggressively in shift 1 if that was how you drove, and less if you scored more in the precision driving realm. maybe the mixed impressions are due to individual players driving styles?

Top Bottom