• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse |OT| Tokyo's Bad Day Is Too Sweet

MegaMelon

Does anyone know a place where I can buy this game (EU) except for Amazon? They have it listed as coming out on December 31, which is way too late.

That's the placeholder date, it's been there (and on other websites) for a while. I'm 99% sure they'll change it to 02/12 within the next 2 weeks.

ShopTo have it listed for 02/12 though you'll have to pay for shipping and there's no guarantee it'll get to you for release date. I'd wait for Amazon to update the release date. Maybe you can give em a call and check. I did that once when the wrong release date was on the page and they confirmed they just hadn't updated it yet.

Hallelujah's (end game/final boss spoilers)
very name means "praise to Yah". His very name is praising YHVH, and whoever speaks his name praises YHVH. A demon loyal to Lucifer named his son "praise to Yah". Having this name is completely irrelevant to all of his encounters with demons, angels, and YHVH himself. It never comes up. What is happening.

marmoka

Banned
Ladies and gentelmen! I restarted the game, and this is my team!

q9upkbI.jpg

Too bad there is only place for 3 extra demons instead of 5. I would have added Black Frost and Demoni-ho once I had them.

Opa-Pa

Hallelujah's (end game/final boss spoilers)
very name means "praise to Yah". His very name is praising YHVH, and whoever speaks his name praises YHVH. A demon loyal to Lucifer named his son "praise to Yah". Having this name is completely irrelevant to all of his encounters with demons, angels, and YHVH himself. It never comes up. What is happening.

This was very odd, I have no idea what the point of it was. Maybe a red herring of sorts, I guess? At first I thought it was just because he was supposed to be the law hero, but that's because I avoided almost all info on the game so I knew next to nothing.

This was very odd, I have no idea what the point of it was. Maybe a red herring of sorts, I guess? At first I thought it was just because he was supposed to be the law hero, but that's because I avoided almost all info on the game so I knew next to nothing.

I assumed he was Law-aligned too at first. It contradicts
his origin
and the game's musings about the power of language and faith.

Incidentally, I couldn't help but note the Ring of Gaea's
split between Yuriko and Maitreya amounting to…pretty much nothing, from what I can remember. Maitreya doesn't involve himself with them and they don't support him beyond idle NPC lines of "yeah we're with Maitreya now"

Aselith

Been playing through this and really enjoying it. It eliminates a lot of the annoyances in SMT 4 like the weird navigation stuff with moving around Tokyo that was just a pain. Two things that are really annoying to me are the stupid mash traps that literally serve no purpose and the level requirements on opening more skill slots. Really boneheaded imo as restricting slots makes it harder to pick up a variety of skills and leads to having to cut a lot of less needed skills like debuffs and utility spells Posimudi and such. Just let me make the decision if I want to save my app points and open more slots.

A lot of the new designs are really cool. Love the look of Dagda and Odin.

Has anyone written/uploaded a plot summary and/or the lore of SMT IV?

Trying to find a video or something that tells the whole story of SMT IV and I can't find anything. I'm in the middle of Apocalypse and read a future spoiler (oops). The spoiler that spoiled me made me realize I literally forgot what happened in SMT IV except for the names of the characters.

Opa-Pa

I don't know about plot summaries, but one of my problems with IV is that some of its DLCs are REALLY important to better understand the whole picture and naturally not everyone played those (a couple of them are horribly balanced too).

But yeah aside from whatever plot summary you can find, I recommend watching the archangel fights and the "For the past, for the future" DLC on youtube for extra detail. I finally played them after finishing both routes in Apocalypse and it added a lot.

Aselith

Is there any way to NOT equip a partner? Normally, the partner is great but I just had something really annoying happen which was I was fighting Shesha for the third time and he kept doing a really strong aoe physical attack so I started putting up Tetrakarn to block him. And he responded by hitting my partner and getting a critical then doing an almighty attack to bypass my shield and then criticaling on my partner again and doing it again and kept doing it until my team got wiped.

Is there any way to NOT equip a partner? Normally, the partner is great but I just had something really annoying happen which was I was fighting Shesha for the third time and he kept doing a really strong aoe physical attack so I started putting up Tetrakarn to block him. And he responded by hitting my partner and getting a critical then doing an almighty attack to bypass my shield and then criticaling on my partner again and doing it again and kept doing it until my team got wiped.

You can't unequip them unfortunately. If you're getting pounded by phys attacks, you may want to buff your party to help deal with it. Sukukaja's really useful.

Some bosses will be programmed NOT to use phys/gun skills if you use tetrakarn

Okay how in the hell do you beat
that God damn triple boss fight with the 5th jar guardian, Inanna, Matrieya

I haven't had any issues with difficulty up until now.

random25

For Marshiten, just don't use fire and light skills and you'll do just fine. Resistance to gun skills would be pretty handy as well.

For Inanna, just survive the battle. She's not really that dangerous in the fight. Constant healing and attacks will do just fine. I don't think she has a weakness or resistance so you won't worry much about the skills you'll use.

As for Maitreya, the key skill you need to have is Magaon (that skill that removes smirk). He has a weakness against fire and gun skills, but avoid using them when he casts Enlightenment before your turn as that will be your doom (removes all your press turns, absorbs the damage, causes smirk, and his next attack will be game over). Just be cautious about those things. Tetrakarn is also a handy skill as he likes to use physical skills.

vall03

So, I tried my best to finish the game before Sun/Moon and I couldn't do it. Don't know if my progress is good but I just finished the
infiltrate Mikado quest, beat Azrael as well
. How far am I in the game? I don't think I'll be able to touch the game in a couple of months because of Pokemon. Oh, I'm also level 72 at this point, so was this a good enough progress?

marmoka

Banned

I died 10 times before beating
Matrieya
, and about to decrease the difficulty.

Matrieya is not hard to beat, and his weakness is fire. If you can reach him, and take advantage of his weakness, you'll beat him easily.

So, I tried my best to finish the game before Sun/Moon and I couldn't do it. Don't know if my progress is good but I just finished the
infiltrate Mikado quest, beat Azrael as well
. How far am I in the game? I don't think I'll be able to touch the game in a couple of months because of Pokemon. Oh, I'm also level 72 at this point, so was this a good enough progress?

You are probably in 5/8 Moon. There's still lots of game for you. The game makes you arrive to the final boss with level 95 more or less. Don't give up yet, the best things are about to come.

vall03

You are probably in 5/8 Moon. There's still lots of game for you. The game makes you arrive to the final boss with level 95 more or less. Don't give up yet, the best things are about to come.

Thanks! I'm still playing the game and already spent 66 hrs into the game and I really like it actually. But sadly, as I've mentioned, Pokemon will take up my time until mid December at least. Still looking forward to finishing it and I wouldn't want it to be stuck on my backlog before the year is over.

marmoka

Banned
Thanks! I'm still playing the game and already spent 66 hrs into the game and I really like it actually. But sadly, as I've mentioned, Pokemon will take up my time until mid December at least. Still looking forward to finishing it and I wouldn't want it to be stuck on my backlog before the year is over.

You are welcomed. You could decrease the difficulty to finish the game faster, also avoid random demon battles, haha.

vall03

You are welcomed. You could decrease the difficulty to finish the game faster, also avoid random demon battles, haha.

Nah, the game really is not that difficult so I'm staying in Conflict for my first playthrough. I did have some trouble with some bosses, but that was mostly me being stupid and fusing my demons after a level up not knowing that I need them for a fight.

AerialAir

Banned

And here we are, the Europeans, crying in a corner. Pokemon releases Nov 23 and SMTIVA Dec 2. WHY

KarmaCow

I think I'm near the end of the game but I want to make sure I have saves at the path splits. I'm assuming there are
two points. One at the reactor where you can choose to go with law or chaos instead fighting Merkabah or Lucifer and the other right before Dagdha asks you to decide between destroying or using the egg in 7/8. Is that right? I want to make sure before moving on.

RDreamer

Made it to the final boss. This feels like it's going to be one of those things where I have to fight 20-30 minutes only to be randomly annihilated each time. I was just doing amazingly well and then boom my whole party is dead.

Also, is there something up with the game or are there almost no above 80 demons to fuse? I can't find anything. If I search top 10 and use compendium I get 0 results. WTF?

Just finished the game. Yep, definitely the best 3DS game now. Can't believe how much better this game was compared to IV. I wish it was a bit longer, I didn't rush it but I was able to finish it in 26 hours. The story and characters were god damn fantastic.

One thing I don't get and/or missed is what happened to
Shesha
?

And let me tell you something about
Krishna and Shesha. That was an amazing antagonist combo. Definitely up there as one of my favorites.

I really hope we get SMTIV or SMTIV-3 or something. Gameplay wise it's way better than Persona. It's a shame it's getting robbed in the RPG category since it's not well known like Persona. It is the best RPG this year easily.

RDreamer

Final Boss is nuts. I'm really not sure what to do. Leveling up won't do terribly much, I don't think, and the last dungeon you can't recruit anything... and the previous dungeon is gone too so I can't go there. What are the best spots to recruit demons?

And is it supposed to be that the few demons past level 80/90 are special only? I get nothing when I try to do fusion searches.

BlackJace

Final Boss is nuts. I'm really not sure what to do. Leveling up won't do terribly much, I don't think, and the last dungeon you can't recruit anything... and the previous dungeon is gone too so I can't go there. What are the best spots to recruit demons?

And is it supposed to be that the few demons past level 80/90 are special only? I get nothing when I try to do fusion searches.

The egg is gone? I'm pretty sure you can go there throughout the endgame.

BlackJace

Oh is it? For some reason I thought I checked. I could be wrong on that then. I guess I'll head there and start recruiting.

Any other tips for the last battle?

The Egg and Twisted Tokyo are sufficient areas to train.

As for the last boss, have Magaon, Dekaja (or the stones) on hand. I'd say it's necessary to win, as there's a supermove that will more than likely wipe you if the boss is fully buffed and is Smirking.

Demons with resistance to Physical are useful too.

Not sure if I already asked but how is the game if I rate these dungeon crawler MegaTens as follows (I like them all, so the bottom rated game is not bad)

1. Strange Journey
2. SMT III
3. DDS
4. DDS2
5. SMT IV
6. Soul Hackers

jonjonaug

Not sure if I already asked but how is the game if I rate these dungeon crawler MegaTens as follows (I like them all, so the bottom rated game is not bad)

1. Strange Journey
2. SMT III
3. DDS
4. DDS2
5. SMT IV
6. Soul Hackers
The new dungeons are better than SMT:IV's, about on par with the less memorable ones from Nocturne and DDS.

As for overall quality I'd put it above SMT:IV but below DDS.

RDreamer

The Egg and Twisted Tokyo are sufficient areas to train.

As for the last boss, have Magaon, Dekaja (or the stones) on hand. I'd say it's necessary to win, as there's a supermove that will more than likely wipe you if the boss is fully buffed and is Smirking.

Demons with resistance to Physical are useful too.

Yeah, I've got those on hand, but I'm having trouble getting to the 2nd phase now. First two times I fought it I got to phase 2 easily but the next 3 times the weaknesses I revealed first fucking sucked and I just couldn't last until I actually got a good one.

It's such a slow battle and it feels like it's almost inevitable for him to hit a well timed critical and either wipe the party or get me in a state where recovery just isn't feasible.

I still haven't gotten the chance to play DDS yet. I got both parts from Amazon brand new about 3 years ago. The issue is that I dont have a working PS2 controller. :/

The new dungeons are better than SMT:IV's, about on par with the less memorable ones from Nocturne and DDS.

As for overall quality I'd put it above SMT:IV but below DDS.

Okay thank you. Sounds good. I think SMT IV would have been way better without quick save. I can't keep mysel from saving after every fight.

So, after playing and enjoyed SMTIV I'm planning to buy this as soon as it comes to europe (2 december I think). I wanted to ask 2 things:
1) Is it true that the map now is way more clear and even show you where to go??
2)Can someone suggest me how to use the save mechanich in the compendium? In IV I never used it and got screwed later game without the possibility of fusing certain demons with certain skills

RDreamer

1) Is it true that the map now is way more clear and even show you where to go??

It's slightly more clear, and it does show you where to go, but sometimes that's just a blank map with a dot on it and it doesn't really make it clear how to get to said dot. I still ended up looking up maps and/or maps of japan sometimes to see where the fuck I should go, especially for side quests.

It's slightly more clear, and it does show you where to go, but sometimes that's just a blank map with a dot on it and it doesn't really make it clear how to get to said dot. I still ended up looking up maps and/or maps of japan sometimes to see where the fuck I should go, especially for side quests.
outside of a couple sidequests I never got list this time.

My only real comlpaints with this game are the final dungeon for being jsut awful to go through, and twisted tokyo for being godawful side content to playthrough. I made it through
all the riders
before giving up and moving on

The DLC demons were pretty absurdly difficult fights, but cleopatra is broken once you have her

jonjonaug

So, after playing and enjoyed SMTIV I'm planning to buy this as soon as it comes to europe (2 december I think). I wanted to ask 2 things:
2)Can someone suggest me how to use the save mechanich in the compendium? In IV I never used it and got screwed later game without the possibility of fusing certain demons with certain skills

1. Yes, also it's much easier to navigate the map due to having more routes available to you from the getgo when moving around, instead of having to find tunnels to get to places like in SMT:IV.
2. Just register your demons whenever you go into the demon fusion app. Make sure you don't accidentally overwrite good leveled/fused demons with their generic recruit version if you fuse them away and recruited another one for fodder.

1)The map is a lot better and has labels for locations as well. The objective marker is virtually useless since it tends to just appear on a blank map section since you've probably never been there before and it doesn't tell you how to get there either. Despite that, figuring out where to go isn't really a problem at all.
2) I pretty much just keep registering the demons in my stock as they level up and gain new skills. Make sure to do it before you fuse them away so you can summon them later if you need to. There's no reason not to register/overwrite them unless you somehow end up with a demon that is worse than the one you had in the compendium.

The Compendium is pretty straightforward. It automatically records a demon once you recruit/fuse it. From there, you can always just go in and overwrite the previous record if you want to pay to summon it again later.

The fusing mechanics work the same as IV, so Fusion Search works the same. It's pretty much impossible to really screw yourself out of certain demons because of how inheritance works. There's a great fusion chart online if you want to know how to fuse certain demons, you can also look up skills to see which demons have them to help plan better.

Mcdohl

So I am at
YHVH's Universe

What a dull ass dungeon.

Seriously, I almost fell asleep traversing it.

Such a step down after
The Cosmic Egg
, imo.

I just killed
Lucifer
, am I halfway there?

So I am at
YHVH's Universe

What a dull ass dungeon.

Seriously, I almost fell asleep traversing it.

Such a step down after
The Cosmic Egg
, imo.

I just killed
Lucifer
, am I halfway there?

1/4...lol. Each part gets longer and more complex.

There is a nice map for it on GameFAQs

Fireblend

Banned
I didn't use a guide and beat that last dungeon decently quickly. I think I got lucky in the first floor because it was just a matter of finding the right door, but I thought the other ones were pretty straightforward. I actually don't get all the complaints about it. I agree it's dull but and nowhere near the egg, but I don't think it deserves as much hate as it gets.

Top Bottom