• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse Review Thread

I'm just gonna leave this here, this is an actual review of SMT4 Apocalypse

CsmIi1AXgAAUgUa.jpg:large

http://gamingtrend.com/reviews/its-not-the-end-of-the-world-shin-megami-tensei-iv-apocalypse-review/

The damsel in distress complaint is a little weird considering that most of the game has a plot thread of rescuing a male character, with a female character leading this effort.

This review's a little weird in general though. No examples or explanations for any of the points raised, complaining about the plot being confusing in a very drive-by manner (also it's fairly straightforward imo so he really lost me here).

Anyways, glad to see it reviewing well. Got mine early and been playing it nonstop - absolutely loving the game so far. I got the Japanese version earlier in the year and the language barrier was a bit much, but playing it in English it's surprisingly great and the story's pacing is tight. Had a lot of trouble putting it down since I started it. Has the tone, atmosphere, and story elements of a mainline game, but the more narrative focus reminds me of the spin-offs in a good way. Dungeons have been fun so far as well.

Capra

I'm more confused by the contrast between the summary and the score.

"A hell of a mess" and "what little fun exists gradually fades" = a 70?

Zolo

I'm more confused by the contrast between the summary and the score.

"A hell of a mess" and "what little fun exists gradually fades" = a 70?

He praises plenty of it. Particularly, the combat which is the main meat of the game anyway.

FluxWaveZ

I really like the voice acting for most of the main cast. However, Nozomi's voice never sounded quite right for me, going from SMT IV's Laura Bailey to Apocalypse's Karen Strassman. Strassman is great, but her as Nozomi didn't really work.

I really like the voice acting for most of the main cast. However, Nozomi's voice never sounded quite right for me, going from SMT IV's Laura Bailey to Apocalypse's Karen Strassman. Strassman is great, but her as Nozomi didn't really work.

I agree. Early on especially, something about the recording itself sounded off. Not quite sure what it was. Otherwise though the cast is excellent - Dagda and Krishna especially are both fantastic. Genuinely surprised how much I'm loving the dub.

Silh

Completed a neutral run of IV a few weeks ago in preparation for this, and my copy's already paid off! Pretty excited to get my hands on it, though I might wait a bit before I dive into this one.

NeonZ

It's weird too because they already got it right with the first game. Guess you need to start showing a bit of leg to receive the promotion to protagonist lol

IIRC, the minor NPCs weren't actually designed by the character designer. There's some concept artwork showing them drawn in a much more realistic style than the actual cast. That's why the sprites were so small in the first place - to hide the art style difference.

Nachos

Might want to add a note to the OT to use the DDS net's internet function as frequently possible. I just tried it, eighteen hours in, and I'm kicking myself for not doing it sooner. I just got a bunch of free items and 40 app points. I say "frequently," though, because the thing's tied to a two-hour cooldown in-game.

I've heard supporting demons have more VA now, which sounds great.
They do, but I've already run into cases where my entire party has had the exact same voice. Special and boss demons (like the Jacks) do get completely unique voice clips, though.

Now Featuring Voiceless Protagonist!
But that's false advertising.

NeonZ

Story is a mixed bag? Then I'm probably not getting it. Out of all of the issues I've mentioned, I found the writing to be the most frustrating element of the game. SMTIV was stated to be an excellent game at launch and for some it still may be, but I ended up disliking it, so I can't help but be skeptical.

The story is more focused than SMTIV's, with nothing like how SMTIV split critical plot points that are relevant to all routes, but are only shown in specific routes, resulting in all of them being incomplete by themselves. The characters also have more focus and development.

However, that development and the conclusion of the story itself go in a very "anime" direction (
power of friends, more ship teasing and such
) with the alternative routes clearly starting from divergence points from the "main" path, without much leading to them.

DedValve

Banned
Never played any 3ds smt game. What am i getting myself into? Loving the seemingly streamlined features. Is smt4 necessary for the story? If so any good recap video?

Korigama

Never played any 3ds smt game. What am i getting myself into? Loving the seemingly streamlined features. Is smt4 necessary for the story? If so any good recap video?
It would be better to play the original SMT IV first, specifically on the Neutral path (best to play through with a guide to guarantee you get it, as the margin for error is quite slim). I wouldn't know of any recap videos, but there's bound to be walkthroughs for Neutral on YouTube.

Expect the game to be hardest at the beginning, then much easier as it goes on. There's no defense stat, so while player attacks hit like a truck, so do ones from enemies (it's not at all uncommon to be at risk for being completely wiped out in normal battles if you don't take out everything quickly).

DedValve

Banned
It would be better to play the original SMT IV first, specifically on the Neutral path (best to play through with a guide to guarantee you get it, as the margin for error is quite slim). I wouldn't know of any recap videos, but there's bound to be walkthroughs for Neutral on YouTube.

Expect the game to be hardest at the beginning, then much easier as it goes on. There's no defense stat, so while player attacks hit like a truck, so do ones from enemies (it's not at all uncommon to be at risk for being completely wiped out in normal battles if you don't take out everything quickly).
Ive heard mixed things about the original. Maybe ill see if i can snag it cheap somewhere but this looks to be the real meat ive been looking for.

Zolo

Ive heard mixed things about the original. Maybe ill see if i can snag it cheap somewhere but this looks to be the real meat ive been looking for.

I haven't played Apocalypse (so my review of the review was also from an uninformed reader's perspective), but I'd imagine if you really wanted to, you could probably jump into apocalypse since it has a new protagonist who likely doesn't have all the info from the first game as well. That said, I imagine people who played IV will get a more 'complete' experience per se'.

Dr. Letz Shake

Neo Member
I didn't finish the first one but I'm jumping into this one. Watched what happened though in the endings and general plot things.

I finished the Law path while aiming for the Neutral path and finished that and its worth it as its very good! BUT you might fall even further behind if you feel you're playing something only to play the new one. I assume you should be fine starting the new one and jumping back into the old one once youre done.

Ran a straight MAG build in SMT IV and it was pretty stupidly OP. Is this still the case here? I may run a physical build this time around.

Wow, those reviews. I'm conflicted on this because the reviews look amazing and the game does seem really, really cool in many ways, but I was lukewarm on the original. Just sold my special edition copy, actually. I enjoyed the atmosphere and demon fusion, but the story was boring, the general art direction was kind of bland, and the map was just awful. This seems to be much more up my alley, but it also seems like more of the same in other ways? I just don't know, haha. I have Nocturne on PS2 and I've never even played it. I don't have super amounts of time for RPGs, so if I'm really only going to play one of these in the next couple of years, Nocturne is probably it. Why are there so many dope games out there, smh...

Vamphuntr

It's pretty much the same.

Nice. I always love to make a MAG based characters in modern SMT games and in IV it was so easy to get the spells you wanted on your MC.

Hopefully there isn't another obscure decision system like in IV that locks your alignment.

Davey Cakes

I have a friend who enjoyed SMT IV. He's going to hate the idea of having to buy another game but I'm sure he'll be thrilled that Alocalypse has been so well received.

I feel like this will be one of the last true winners on 3DS. It's sounding like a great way to finish the series on this platform.

Lynx_7

Regarding physical builds, is strenght still useless compared to dex?
I may run a physical build this time around since I went with magic in IV. Plus the protagonist just looks more like a physical/guns dude.

Top Bottom