• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV Import Impressions Thread of Doom

BLCKATK

So hyped. By any chance has there been a rip of the battle theme yet? I've been waiting to hear it without sound effects for so long.

Persona86

Banned
Its not demons talking to demons, but you the main character captain ugly hair talking to the demons. Though it can make a difference depending on what you have in your stock, in certain situations.

Interesting.

The promo OST was uploaded on Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLHZK5jHCqykJ4Trtz4HNBPtbGmteOtpHR

It's mainly stuff from the trailers or when the site was still just a teaser.

I hope you guys are playing the game with headphones. SMT soundtracks deserve good speakers or headphones. :D

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I'm expecting it to come in around July 19th. :D
(I purchased the super super special edition that works on North American 3DS and comes with English language text and voice acting)

D: with your old school SMT play by play, posting you did a while back had just thought you were gonna roll with the JP version.

I will say that I am pleased to see that the difficulty will remain consistent with the rest of the series.

And that's the last thing I'll say in this thread for fear of encountering spoilers. I still need to beat Soul Hackers.

Parakeetman

Argh double posted again. Really need to stop having 2 windows of the same page open...
Apologies once again everyone. :/

Anyways, wonder if I should back up my data onto a PC JIC...

I have no idea what I am doing, but I am digging the battle/scout system so far. Played up until I died last night but
then something weird happened and I was too tired to deal with it, I guess I'm in the underworld though

First SMT game, btw, so I'm just fumbling my way around but I do think I will enjoy it.

I really love the kill effects for Agi and slash-type attacks. They look fantastic.

Early story spoilers from the first dungeon:
Damn, SMTIV doesn't waste its time throwing STEVEN at you right away. I was a bit shocked when he just popped up in the second chunk of the first dungeon. "Hey guys. That little girl? She likes ya'all. OK I'MMA HEAL YOU NOW.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Compared to Soul Hackers, the negotiations are a pain in the ass. It took me 6 tries to recruit the first fairy :/

Were they pretty much completely random in Soul Hackers, too? This is my first SMT game.

Soriku

Were they pretty much completely random in Soul Hackers, too? This is my first SMT game.

They're random in every SMT. But usually for the same demons there are choices that will most likely appeal to them almost every time.

Compared to Soul Hackers, the negotiations are a pain in the ass. It took me 6 tries to recruit the first fairy :/

Really? I'm finding it much easier to recruit demons compared to my time with Soul Hackers. I feel like demons are less likely to flip out on you after one wrong choice, provided you don't pick the absolute worst option.

Eyothrie

Does IV actually describe what spells do? "Agi", "Bufu" etc etc etc aren't helpful without descriptions, and previous games didn't explain these. Too much trial and error for ppl new to SMT. It's my #1 pet peeve of previous SMT/Persona games

CSX

I really love the kill effects for Agi and slash-type attacks. They look fantastic.

Early story spoilers from the first dungeon:
Damn, SMTIV doesn't waste its time throwing STEVEN at you right away. I was a bit shocked when he just popped up in the second chunk of the first dungeon. "Hey guys. That little girl? She likes ya'all. OK I'MMA HEAL YOU NOW.

So that was what they showed in that 30 second trailer. I thought he was talking about the MC when he said taht lol

CSX

Does IV actually describe what spells do? "Agi", "Bufu" etc etc etc aren't helpful without descriptions, and previous games didn't explain these. Too much trial and error for ppl new to SMT. It's my #1 pet peeve of previous SMT/Persona games

They always tell you what they do unless maybe you're talking about the really old SMT games.

Soriku

First half seems to be going for the nostalgia effect, and ended up sounding mediocre. Second half was pretty good. Overall, a subpar MegaTen battle track.

Is this the regular battle theme?

It seems to be, but like Nocturne there are a lot of battle themes so we'll probably hear the other ones just as much.

I like it anyway. It grew on me.

All of the SMT games for the past couple years have.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I've only played for 1,5 hour and just cleared the first dungeon, but I'm loving the game already.

To be honest I really liked how the first dungeon would wipe your entire party for one small mistake/failed negotiations at the beginning.

Need to play some more today after work.

Playing through SMTIV I'm reminded of how much I missed dark and creepy RPGs.

2nd dungeon/early story spoilers.
When you head back to your village and enter the forest, I love how there are blood stains everywhere. It's so goddamn foreboding.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Really wishing this game had a soft reset command.

Thinking about dropping the difficulty, but would rather not...

Can't say I'm having a ton of fun spending the last hour or so reloading my game over and over again trying to recruit demons until I have a full party.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
Really wishing this game had a soft reset command.

Thinking about dropping the difficulty, but would rather not...

How far are you into the game right now? I just arrived at the part Ryouga described, but other than getting one-shotted a couple of times during mini-boss encounters it hasn't been that bad for me. Then again I did spend about 1.5 hours wandering around trying to figure out how to finish a quest, which got me a good 3 - 4 levels.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
How far are you into the game right now? I just arrived at the part Ryouga described, but other than getting one-shotted a couple of times during mini-boss encounters it hasn't been that bad for me. Then again I did spend about 1.5 hours wandering around trying to figure out how to finish a quest, which got me a good 3 - 4 levels.

Still on the third quest. Right at the part where you climb a ledge to get to a treasure box, but are forced to fight a bunch of monsters first. I can't beat that bunch of monsters because I only have one demon left in my party. Been reloading constantly because it seems like I have a 5% chance of actually successfully recruiting a demon.

edit: finally got another demon and beat the horde of monsters to finish the quest. Working my way out of the first dungeon now, but damn, that was rough and not in a good way. I don't see how it's fun to get hit by a pre-emptive attack and immediately be wiped out. I just hope I can get to the point soon where I can reliably get through a battle without having at least one party member die.

extralite

The only "difficult" persona would be the first one though lol after that not as much or at all.
My exposure to Pesona is limited. I only played and beat the Persona 2s and I thought IS was on the easy side and EP was rather hard but breakable with constant un- and reequipping of a persona that can exploit a boss's weak point. I heard 3&4 were a bit easy even though they applied a variant of the press turn system. I played 3 a little and thought it was fun, yet easier than previous press turn games.

But difficulty isn't binary. It's not either easy or hard. There are many layers of difficulty and one of them is real time/action based factors. There is usually a lot of luck involved in RPGs and since the exploitable weaknesses are so crucial for the press turn system, being the first to strike can decide the battle. Often there will be no second round.

In Nocturne, you could always be surprised, it was random. You could be wiped out because of that, just before a terminal. The answer was to have demons with immunities against the attacks of the enemies of the area, to end their turn quickly. It still is the answer in SMT4.

But in SMT4, like in Persona, initiative is decided by getting collided or attacking the enemy first in real time. So even though Persona (3&4) may be easy overall, a gameplay element from that series is influencing difficulty in SMT4 in a major way. There is one element of luck eliminated if you have good reflexes and can judged distance and velocity. If you're bad at these things, you will always be out of luck though.

What really bothers me is that the conversations you have with the demons are seemingly randomly generated each time you select "conversation" to scout them, even if it's the same demon. Through luck of the enemy being stupid and trying to use a bunch of ineffective attacks, I was able to try and recruit this fairy looking demon six times in a single battle. I got the same question three times and yet each time the correct answer was different. Even when they ask you for something, there's no guarantee that you will please them by giving them the item. I had a demon take my money, laugh, and run away on one occasion, but that same type of demon was later fooled when I chose the "fake it" option the next time I encountered one that asked for money. This part of the game, so far, just seems really fucking dumb and frustrating, because there's no way to "get good" at it. I really hope there are some kinds of application add-ons later on that make this interaction a little less unreasonable and random.
Parakeetman already answered this but yes it is chance based. There even occur critical hits and you can decide a negotiation at once when that happens. But certain answers should have higher chances of working with certain demons.

In some SMTs (actually most of the recent ones I remember), answers would work consistently. In Persona 2 if you figured out the correct dialog choices they would always work. It made them repetitive though. And that game had one of the most complex and detailed dialog systems in the series (but it still get repetitive after too many encounters). So the chance based system in this one keeps negotiation fresh even though the choices aren't as varied as in Persona.

Other than that, I like how the battle system works with its focus on exploiting weak points, but I really don't see the value in making it so hard in the beginning. All it's done is encouraged me to save after every battle and reload my game if I die, because chances are high that I'll be dying once every battle or two (just from of sheer lack of health recovery options, or bad luck).
I save a lot also but I rarely load up a save again, rather paying up for the continue. But that also is rare. Don't go in to deep too soon, build your party and level a little.

I do plan on sticking with it and not dropping the difficulty. I hope I'm just missing something here, because right now it doesn't seem even possible to not die a whole bunch in the first dungeon and accumulate a massive debt (unless you just keep loading your game after every death until you get lucky in battle). If anyone has any hints, I'd love to hear them!
Defeat all enemies except one by going after weak spots. Weaken the remaining one. Do that all in one round and when the MC's turn comes up again, talk to the weakened remaining enemy. If it doesn't work out, they won't do much damage to you anymore (since they're alone) and are easily defeated.

Always take the initiative. Fight everything you hear and see (unless you're already high leveled later in a dungeon).

I used two continues and loaded up my game after a game over maybe thrice in a 7 hours and 19 minutes. No debt accumulated. The one time I did, I had to load a save.

Edit: If you want to keep the number of fights down, remember that you can end a battle at once if one of the opponents is already in your party. Just talk to them and they may even give you an item, money or heal you.

Parakeetman

Hopefully will be rich by the time I make it out of this 2nd dungeon. Since am still working on clearing the place, but focusing on leveling my new demons first. Thankfully at the same time the treasure points spawn at a fairly normal rate and are easy to get to being right along the main path. Though for the most part only been getting 1 - 2 star rank treasure items. Still will add up and every bit counts!

7 hours in, just completed the first area and moved on to
Tokyo.

Story spoilers:
I loved the reveal of Tokyo Sky Tree piercing the ceiling above Tokyo. Such a cool piece of imagery. I had a hunch it was the Sky Tree as I was running down the stairs, but still.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I just learned last night that you can leave the dungeon and go to sleep at your dormitory to revive and completely recover your party whenever you want. That really changed everything. No wonder I was having so much trouble in the opening hour or so.

I feel like I've made it over the first big bump. Things are still challenging, but no longer feel like I'm completely at the whim of a dice roll.

fates

Did anyone get that book the game was bundled with? The North American version is calling it a design book/strategy guide. Can't imagine it being all of both so I'm curious as to what's really in it.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Parakeetman already answered this but yes it is chance based. There even occur critical hits and you can decide a negotiation at once when that happens. But certain answers should have higher chances of working with certain demons.

In some SMTs (actually most of the recent ones I remember), answers would work consistently. In Persona 2 if you figured out the correct dialog choices they would always work. It made them repetitive though. And that game had one of the most complex and detailed dialog systems in the series (but it still get repetitive after too many encounters). So the chance based system in this one keeps negotiation fresh even though the choices aren't as varied as in Persona.

I suppose I may be in the minority here, but I just can't get behind complete randomness. I obviously don't know the math going on in the background, but it seems completely random so far (I've probably done the scout thing over 50 times by now). It seems that most demons ask 3-5 questions, each with 2-4 possible answers. Assuming their responses are completely randomly generated, that's like a 0.1% chance to successfully recruit a demon in the worst case scenario. Now I'd hope the different answers have different probabilities depending on the demon type, but so far that really doesn't seem to be the case.

I dunno, it seems like I'm the only one who is bothered by the randomness of this aspect, so I'll just shut up about after this post.

CSX

So is there no pixie in the beginning of the game? Replaced by Napaea?

I did see a high pixie in a trailer

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Did anyone get that book the game was bundled with? The North American version is calling it a design book/strategy guide. Can't imagine it being all of both so I'm curious as to what's really in it.

It's 176 pages if I recall.

extralite

I suppose I may be in the minority here, but I just can't get behind complete randomness. I obviously don't know the math going on in the background, but it seems completely random so far (I've probably done the scout thing over 50 times by now). It seems that most demons ask 3-5 questions, each with 2-4 possible answers. Assuming their responses are completely randomly generated, that's like a 0.1% chance to successfully recruit a demon in the worst case scenario. Now I'd hope the different answers have different probabilities depending on the demon type, but so far that really doesn't seem to be the case.

I dunno, it seems like I'm the only one who is bothered by the randomness of this aspect, so I'll just shut up about after this post.

It's not that random and the chances aren't that low. If you consider what the alignment and the personality of the demon is (probably) like, you should be fine within a few tries. Edit: You do know that you can talk to the same demon again and again, even if you failed in the round before? That is new, in earlier games pissed off demons would not talk anymore (during the same encounter).

I also like that you now get exp from recruiting (and it's even more than from defeating) an enemy.

Parakeetman

I also like that you now get exp from recruiting (and it's even more than from defeating) an enemy.

Thats one thing that is appreciated greatly. Also from doing fusions.

So is there no pixie in the beginning of the game? Replaced by Napaea?

I did see a high pixie in a trailer

Shes in the game.
will show up in 2nd dungeon
is a pain in the ass to get for some reason. Seems to be prone to run off with a ton of shit too more than other demons lol.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
It's not that random and the chances aren't that low. If you consider what the alignment and the personality of the demon is (probably) like, you should be fine within a few tries. Edit: You do know that you can talk to the same demon again and again, even if you failed in the round before? That is new, in earlier games pissed off demons would not talk anymore (during the same encounter).

I know you can talk to the same demon again and again in the same battle, but like I wrote in my initial complaint, the correct answers appear to be randomly generated anew each time you select the conversation option.

I know you can talk to the same demon again and again in the same battle, but like I wrote in my initial complaint, the correct answers appear to be randomly generated anew each time you select the conversation option.

While the order/questions asked varies a lot. I've found that the answers that worked have pretty much worked every single time. Except in cases where we're negotiating payment.

It's really not that random.

matmanx1

Thanks for all of the impressions. I like what I hear. I really enjoyed Strange Journey up until a certain point (so I never finished it) as I thought the atmosphere and storyline were pretty fantastic. It sounds like I most certainly need to plan on playing SMT IV when it arrives in the US in July.

suzu

Thanks for the impressions!

What is this game, and why should I care?

Honest, no troll question.

It's an RPG for the 3DS. Have you ever played any of the SMT spin-offs (like Persona)?

SMT IV is the newest mainline game since SMT III: Nocturne (which was released in 2003/2004).

Top Bottom