• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne |OT| GO GET THE BUFFS!

cj_iwakura

My endgame demons consisted of Metatron, Beelzebub, and Daisoujou and they all knew Debilitate so I just put Mediarahan on Demifiend (Daisoujou was the only one who could heal otherwise). Also Deadly Fury is better than Gaea Rage so I just picked that.

But Gaea Rage is just fun to watch.

I keep it handy in case any Embryon fools show up.

I've heard that this game is hard, but also frustrating. Is tha true ? I don't want my experience with a game to be fucked by antiquated designs.

Caderfix

Strangely enough I found another game with that tagline on it:

2izYZGB.png

:p

Didn't see that coming XD

The tag should say "Classic Dante" :D

Marcel

I've heard that this game is hard, but also frustrating. Is tha true ? I don't want my experience with a game to be fucked by antiquated designs.

I would say the difficulty is on par with Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey, meaning there will be some dungeons and situations that test your resources, strategies, strength and occasionally your patience. If it's your first time, all I can say is ganbare.

Soriku

Freikugel + Charge + Masakados.

A physical build is the more viable over the whole length of the game, even if you'll regret it from time to time (but your party is there to compensate that).
Whatever you do, like in most megaten, don't do a balanced build.

The skill is Focus in Nocturne.

I'll go ahead and post my endgame demon setups too.

Metatron:

Tarukaja
Makakaja
Debilitate
Fire of Sinai
Victory Cry
Hades Blast
Focus
Pierce

Beelzebub:

Pierce
Focus
Hades Blast
Victory Cry
Death Flies
Maziodyne
Debilitate
Elec Boost

Daisoujou:

Prayer
Meditation
Debilitate
Victory Cry
Makakaja
Dekaja
Dekunda
Pierce

I was pretty proud of this party at the end. The only way it'd be better is if I got rid of Pierce on Daisoujou and gave him Tarukaja, but that's a hassle.

Victory Cry + Death Flies is hax. Insta-kill anything that isn't immune to Death and Victory Cry heals all HP/MP for the demon at the end of the fight.

Uthred

Tempted to double dip, or pull the PS2 version (and that sweet strategy guide) out of storage. PS2 Classics dont have any upscaling and such do they? So presumably the PS2 version via PCSX2 would offer a superior experience?

cj_iwakura

I was doing a no-compendium Hard run on my PS2 version, but maybe I should just buy this version and do it that way? Will it look any prettier in HD?

Jisgsaw

The skill is Focus in Nocturne.

I'll go ahead and post my endgame demon setups too.

[Impressive party]

I was pretty proud of this party at the end. The only way it'd be better is if I got rid of Pierce on Daisoujou and gave him Tarukaja, but that's a hassle.

Victory Cry + Death Flies is hax.

Ah, right, focus.

Wow, you really troubled yourself for your build. I destroyed TDE boss with a much much simplier party.
Focus + Freikugel (+ that passive skill that boosts critical) + 4 taruka is really really OP.

Nachos

Yeesh, those spoilers...

Anyway, just to summarize things more succinctly, the order of events is this:
  1. Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne is released in Japan
  2. Kazuma Kaneko, the primary designer for the series, is brought on as a guest designer for Devil May Cry 3 to create the devil triggers for Dante and Vergil.
  3. In exchange, Dante becomes a guest character in Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne, Maniax Edition, which added a lot of additional content and is the version that was released internationally.
  4. When Raidou Kuzunoha 2 came out in Japan, the collector's edition included yet another version of the game (Maniax Chronicle Edition), this time replacing Dante with Raidou.
Just purchased. Got a fair way through on the PS2 years ago, really looking forward to finishing it this time. Anyone have a MC build recommendation?
It's hard to say, as a lot of builds are good for the early and mid game. Plus, magic builds gain access to some powerful attacks early on. However, no matter what you choose, you'll want to move towards a strength build for the end game, as the majority of the powerful skills at that point favor that stat.

Soriku

Ah, right, focus.

Wow, you really troubled yourself for your build. I destroyed TDE boss with a much much simplier party.
Focus + Freikugel (+ that passive skill that boosts critical) + 4 taruka is really really OP.

I wanted to create the perfect party :p

Linkark07

Banned
Nocturne eh... Perhaps I'll buy it next week.

Although... since I never expected to play this game I got spoiled with Matador.

alichino

YESSSS. So stoked to play my favorite PS2 game again! Nocturne has an amazing atmosphere and art style. I think I'll go for the true ending with a magic build this time, but oh man... if I remember right,
Lucifer
took me forever to beat last time. Dat challenge.

It's always bummed me out that I missed out on Nocturne, I do hope someone does a European release, the game has always looked great.

Finalow

Kazuma Kaneko designed Dante's Devil Trigger form for DMC 2, so they put Dante in SMT3. I think that's pretty much it.

dante-dmc3-deviltrigger.jpg
I love Kaneko's work, he's so good.

I should play again the game someday, I never tried to go for the 100% with the true ending.
also
Dante's section in the Labyrinth of Amara sucks.

anyway, great game, play it.

Nachos

It's actually not that bad, provided you have some experience with the overall series, including Persona and Devil Survivor. There is a certain early boss notorious for being called the definitive newbie killer, but that's only because beating him without grinding requires you to understand the skills. Nocturne isn't the typical game where buffs and debuffs are useless; they're very essential, and your choice to use them or not can quickly change the tide of battle. In the case of that particular boss, agility buffs make him a cakewalk, especially when you stack four of them on your party.

Fbh

Awesome.
I'm going to get this ASAP.

By the way. Regarding difficulty. How does it compare to Shin Megami Tensei IV?

Soriku

Harder (but not overwhelmingly so) and more balanced. And by harder I mean, harder than anything in Tokyo. Naraku in SMT IV is harder than Nocturne (on Normal).

Jisgsaw

I wanted to create the perfect party :p

Well, that you got.

For those interested, a far more reachable party of Metatron, Michael and Black Frost (especially Black frost), or any other party with charm and fire/ice immunities, with (de/)buffs and healing spread between them, is enough to destroy every boss.
It's nice if one demon has pierce, but Freikugel is powerfull enough to rely only on the MC.

Dr. Buni

Fucking masterpiece. I am glad more people will be able to play it, now that is is available as a PS2 classic.
Although... since I never expected to play this game I got spoiled with Matador.
Eh... Matador really isn't that much of a spoiler.

ohlawd

Nocturne eh... Perhaps I'll buy it next week.

Matador isn't a spoiler.

Getting to him isn't a spoiler either. In short, don't worry about it and just play.

Linkark07

Banned
Fucking masterpiece. I am glad more people will be able to play it, now that is is available as a PS2 classic.

Eh... Matador really isn't that much of a spoiler.

Not in the sense of the story. Spoiled because he will kill you if you aren't prepared.

Matador isn't a spoiler.

Getting to him isn't a spoiler either. In short, don't worry about it and just play.

Well, at least with Etrian Odyssey and Persona 3 I learned in Atlus's games you need to buff and debuff.

Rezae

Probably in my top 5 games of all-time. With this being released on PSN I'm that much closer to packing up my PS2 for good.

I remember plodding through it on Hard after being somewhat challenged on normal mode. Surprised it earned such a reputation for being difficult. For anyone new to the game, just remember you can't approach it like FF or many other modern RPGs where you can spam attack and call it a day. You MUST be aware of strengths/weaknesses/buffs, more so than probably any other RPG. If you go into battles prepared it's a pretty fair game on difficulty.

Dr. Buni

Not in the sense of the story. Spoiled because he will kill you if you aren't prepared.
Any boss will kill you if you aren't prepared. Matador just happens to be a little bit too strong at the point he appears in the game, so you better have some Force-resistant demons and a certain Magatama or else you're gonna have a hard time with him. But don't worry, people overestimate his difficult a lot. IMO there are a few bosses a bit harder than him in the game.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Harder (but not overwhelmingly so) and more balanced. And by harder I mean, harder than anything in Tokyo. Naraku in SMT IV is harder than Nocturne (on Normal).
Hard but fair. Hard if you spam or don't think about your team make up and weaknesses. Fair if you go in prepared.

Bought this about 6 months ago and totally loved it, the atmosphere was amazing. then I got to Dante and got absolutely destroyed. Stopped playing because I moved house and now I'm worried it'll be tough to get back in to. Which is a shame because I really want to see where the story goes.

Nachos

Awesome.
I'm going to get this ASAP.

I wouldn't necessarily call it more difficult or easier, but it certainly is more balanced. The fact that there's actually a defense stat means that you're not going to be running a party of glass cannons that can get wiped by level one monsters that have the advantage. Physical party members are also more useful, since physical skills cost HP, instead of drawing on a pitiful pool of MP, like they did in 4.

On the other hand, it's much more obtuse. Every SMT game (including Persona) has suffered from some degree of poor information communication and/or organization, and this is no different. The game suffers from being unintentionally cryptic, just by failing to communicate some things as well as it probably should.

ohlawd

Well, at least with Etrian Odyssey and Persona 3 I learned in Atlus's games you need to buff and debuff.
yeah I know that too. I knew of Matador before I got to him. I sorta prepared and still got wrecked :3

Not to be a braggart, but I beat him on my third try or so without really breaking a sweat.
Considering his reputation, it sorta bummed me out to the point that I stopped playing shortly after... Is he really considered the peak in difficulty?

Kind of ashamed never to have finished a mainline SMT, I really love everything about them.

Jockel

I've played and beaten Persona 3, Persona 4 and Digital Devil Saga. How is this game different form the latter ?
It's a mainline SMT game. It's closer to DDS than P3 / P4.
Expect dark themes and a serious tone without the high school drama.

Dr. Buni

I've played and beaten Persona 3, Persona 4 and Digital Devil Saga. How is this game different form the latter ?
It is very similar gameplay-wise to DDS (you don't transform in a demon in Nocturne, instead you contract them) and thankfully very different from Persona 3 and 4.

The music is amazing like in DDS/DDS2.

Nachos

Mechanically, the biggest difference is that unlike them, you have no set party members aside from the main character. This means that fusion plays a much bigger role, as it's essential to creating viable party members that can handle what the game throws at you. If you've played P3 and P4, though, you should be no stranger to it.

Oh, and the story is much less in your face than the stories of those games, instead relying much more on abstraction and ambiguity.

cj_iwakura

Not to be a braggart, but I beat him on my third try or so without really breaking a sweat.
Considering his reputation, it sorta bummed me out to the point that I stopped playing shortly after... Is he really considered the peak in difficulty?

No way. Just the first boss that really challenges you.

I've been wanting this game for years (missed out on it during the PS2's heyday). Looks like I know what my next game purchase is~!

Soriku

Kind of ashamed never to have finished a mainline SMT, I really love everything about them.

The peak is Trumpeter. But were you really playing the game for its difficulty alone?

Ourobolus

Banned

He's really just the first boss that challenges most people who play RPGs and don't understand the importance of buffs and strengths/weaknesses. He's pretty easy once you know what you need to do.

Soriku

The peak is the final boss, or
Metatron/Beelzebub.

Trumpeter is a joke if you're lucky.

I wasn't lucky :x

Metatron
I beat on my first try.
Beelzebub
I beat on my second IIRC, with just Demifiend and Daisoujou (forgot to bring two other Death resistant demons).

Final bosses are alright.

Top Bottom