• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

Grief.exe

The bars are abyssimal I agree.

But this is very far from a bad port.

We've got people with lower-end I5's and 2GB cards running it smooth like butter.

On my end I haven't had any graphical glitches or texture pop-ins yet as in wolfenstein or rage.

It has some problems, but I'm confident they will be ironed out.

The whole situation is just so strange. 30 FPS lock for literally no reason, ditto forced aspect ratio, blatant lies about VRAM requirements.

Nah they're hidden.

People won't like black taking up as much space on their screen.
Like, it's almost like Duke Nukem 3D when you hit = and the screen adjusts itself bad.

Whatever the reason, cinematic, artsy, nope.

People will be asking for these:

R_forceaspectratio <NUMBER>
Sets the aspect ratio. Default is 2.5, which is our official aspect ratio.
0 is full screen, but not ideal. 1.8 or 2 is probably most comfortable for those who don&#8217;t want bars.

Is someone collecting all these tips somewhere?

The whole situation is just so strange. 30 FPS lock for literally no reason, ditto forced aspect ratio, blatant lies about VRAM requirements.

Shinji Mikami decided that was the framerate for that game. That's a reason.
Now as for allowing it to go past that? Good on Bethesda for sharing those debug type options which allow it; it will make all the entitled PC master race fuckfaces happy and hopefully shut them up... though I'm sure they'll find something else to bitch about.

Xpliskin

When the opening sequence played I realized the whole requirement thing was a PR misstep by bethesda.

Intended/Positive/Negative, I don't know. But I don't believe a Tango employee gave 4GB of VRAM as a requirement to play the game as intended.

One thing is for sure, this game is great and I'm happy the peeps at Tango pushed their first game as a newly founded studio.

EDIT:

corrosivefrost -

It's from the performance thread, here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=911735

Grief.exe

How do you hold the lantern up in front of you?

EDIT: C

Now as for allowing it to go past that? Good on Bethesda for sharing those debug type options which allow it; it will make all the entitled PC master race fuckfaces happy and hopefully shut them up... though I'm sure they'll find something else to bitch about.

umm....what?

MattyG

Banned
The one thing that threw me off is how not scary it is (at least not in the first couple chapters). I'm even in a dark room and everything. Hopefully the scares pick up later.

AsfaeksBR

Saraiva just cancelled my pre-order that would supposedly ship tomorrow.
They are the only one's that would do this, the other stores say that they'll only ship at the end of the month.

VDfR3ui.gif

Masterburger

Neo Member
I really don't know what to do. Should I get this for PC or PS4? I enjoy playing games a lot more on my console with a big TV but the PC has the graphics... Also, should I get it boxed or digital? I want the box, but I'm probably not going to be able to get it until Friday and I feel like I can't wait.

WHAT DO I DO?!

~Kinggi~

Banned
I really don't know what to do. Should I get this for PC or PS4? I enjoy playing games a lot more on my console with a big TV but the PC has the graphics... Also, should I get it boxed or digital? I want the box, but I'm probably not going to be able to get it until Friday and I feel like I can't wait.

WHAT DO I DO?!

If your PC is good, 60 fps and super fast loading times seems a pretty clear win, especially to reduce frustration that reviewers seemed to have had.

Anung

Un Rama

WHAT DO I DO?!

image.php

The one thing that threw me off is how not scary it is (at least not in the first couple chapters). I'm even in a dark room and everything. Hopefully the scares pick up later.

It's not going to be a very scary game I imagine, it'll be tense a bit and make you panic at times but I can't see it being legit scary

JayEH

2 more hours for PSN launch!

They are the only one's that would do this, the other stores say that they'll only ship at the end of the month.

VDfR3ui.gif

Digital Download my friend.

Seventy70

I really want to try this game, but I just can't play horror games that have lots of jump scares. I haven't really been following this game, but if I played through RE4 just fine, would you recommend it to me?

MattyG

Banned
Just went to relaunch after eating dinner and it said "preload" instead of "play" It started up when I clicked it, but it made my heart sink for a second there.

Squishy3

You're not going to make many friends on this forum with posts like that.

Riposte

My brother bought an Xbone, which I will promptly steal from his home. So I'm back in.

Have there been any comments on how that version of the game will run?

antitrop

My brother bought an Xbone, which I will promptly steal from his home. So I'm back in.

Have there been any comments on how that version of the game will run?
Everyone I've seen on Xbone has said it was smooth. Some PS4 users are complaining about framedrops.

So, uh, who the fuck knows, wait for DF as usual.

tesqui

Does the game support ultra wide screen resolutions?

Nope my 21:9 monitor doesn't support the game. It forces it to 16:9 + the black bars makes it look like I'm playing in a picture frame. I'm forced to play 16:9 windowed until I can find a fix. Hopefully flawless widescreen is on the case.

Xpliskin

Am I the only one feeling this shit is tense ?

I don't want to play as the victim in a
freakin' texas chainsaw massacre
movie lol

460x.jpg

Bastos

VDfR3ui.gif
Try Livraria Cultura, I got my Driveclub from there before it even launched LOL.

The site says that they'll start shipping tomorrow and you might even be lucky like me and find a copy in one of their retail stores (like I did with Driveclub).

Bought my Driveclub @ Livraria Cultura Cinelândia - RJ, btw, maybe you can find a TEW there if you live in Rio de Janeiro. If not, try finding a store next to where you live :)

Nibel

Chapter 1: "Man, I know almost everything because of trailers"
Chapter 2: "2SPOOKY4ME"

Stealth and survival horror is a very interesting mix so far, will play more later.

Is someone collecting all these tips somewhere?

Why you so mad?

Anung

Un Rama
I wonder how this will play in stealth and horror, right after a playthrough of Alien. Anyone played these back to back ?

Alien is more stealth. There are stealth elements in TEW but at the end of the day you feel powerful wielding a massive shotgun blowing heads off.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I wonder how this will play in stealth and horror, right after a playthrough of Alien. Anyone played these back to back ?

playing different stealth games back to back is awful, I JUST did this earlier with Styx -> Alien, and my muscle memory was all fucked

Skyzard

Banned
This game man.

Bravo, very pleased with this gaf recommendation, wasn't on my radar and I'm not even into horror games, at all.

AsfaeksBR

Try Livraria Cultura, I got my Driveclub from there before it even launched LOL.

The site says that they'll start shipping tomorrow and you might even be lucky like me and find a copy in one of their retail stores (like I did with Driveclub).

Bought my Driveclub @ Livraria Cultura Cinelândia - RJ, btw, maybe you can find a TEW there if you live in Rio de Janeiro. If not, try finding a store next to where you live :)

Ooooo, thanks for the tip!
I live in Curitiba and there's one next to where I study.
I'll try to go by tomorrow!

Chabbles

Alien is more stealth. There are stealth elements in TEW but at the end of the day you feel powerful wielding a massive shotgun blowing heads off.

playing different stealth games back to back is awful, I JUST did this earlier with Styx -> Alien, and my muscle memory was all fucked

I just finished the medical level in Alien isolation, and its basically all stealth.. one mistake and your finished, if the rest of the game keeps at this pace, TEW may be a like walk in the park.. in terms of difficulty and forgiveness on the enemies part.

Top Bottom