• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

Lucent

This game is seriously fucking gorgeous on PC, I can't believe people were trashing the visuals prior to release.

I don't have the PC version but I know. It looks really good to me. I don't know what people are looking for sometimes. =/

How long is each chapter?

Depends, there are chapters that take 1.5+ hours long depending on how you play and how many times you die. The average playthrough is been said to be 15 hours. There are 15 chapters so the game is really long for a TPS survival horror.

EDIT: I'm on chapter 9 at the moment. 8 hours and 47 minutes in. 6 more chapters to go.

RNgrekB.jpg

LETS GO GAF!!! IN MIKAMI WE TRUST!

MattyG

Banned
If I quit in the middle of a mission (after a checkpoint), will I continue from the checkpoint, or do you only continue from post mission saves and saves in the hospital?

Mupod

I got to chapter 4 and I'm going to bed. I'm not a fan of the forced hiding/fleeing sequences but I'm in my element with stealth kills, ammo scavenging, and environmental hazards.

This is also one Resident Evil-ass video game. I'm not far in at all and there's already been multiple direct references to RE1 and 4. And I don't just mean the mechanics like door opening or the little camera zoom when you check drawers. It's not easy either.

Only disappointment so far is that upgrading ammo doesn't max out your magazine. Works for health though!

Nuke Soda

I am both excited and nervous to get my hands on this game. The last three games I got were good, but in no way lived up to the hype surrounding them. Also I need to quit getting on board the hype train, but it is so damn hard.

If I quit in the middle of a mission (after a checkpoint), will I continue from the checkpoint, or do you only continue from post mission saves and saves in the hospital?

Never tried that. I always went to save just to be safe rather than sorry. Seeing as how the checkpoints are brutal if you're playing on survival + exploring rather than pushing forward always, I opted to safe always before closing the game.

This game is seriously fucking gorgeous on PC, I can't believe people were trashing the visuals prior to release.

Yep, it's amazing looking. The environment is so densely packed with stuff going in

Saves I think. Pretty sure I did it earlier and it jolted me back to the save point

Xpliskin

I wanted to explain something about the stealth system that'might not be apparent, before going to sleep.

The game itself doesn't even explain it to you.

Actually you have to control the movement pattern of sebastian to position the camera adequatly, it's been designed that way.

-When you move to the right, the camera pans to the right to show you what's ahead of you "to the right".
When you're in this "panned camera" mode, you can walk backward with sebastian, without rotating.
Such that the camera stays that way.

-The same thing applies for the left, it's symmetrical.

You need to carefully control sebastian to make use of it instead of hapzardly controlling sebastian through the environment. Because otherwise the camera will keep on panning left and right.

You'll see it's much comfortable playing that way.

This game is a bitch though, ammo is scarce and melee'ing an enemy is like a real boxing fight on a ring.

Good times, good times.

Pre-load on PS4 never dissapoints, no gimmicks..unlocks right on time.

Dis fn game brahs, atmosphere-art design will blow you away.

Chapter 1....I was not ready.

SO.FUCKING.EXCITED!

71JSl6Yl.jpg

Probably just going to wait till tomorrow to play, but I wanted to get it tonight. Was fucking ecstatic to see it have a nice lenticular slip and not just a regular case. Maybe it's for pre-order, says special edition packaging on the sticker. Anyway, been waiting for a game like this for so long. Cannot wait to just sit and get lost in the game. The GameStop midnight releases are... lame? I mean. They had some van outside playing some coin catching game or something. Looked really hokey. Was maybe 10 people there. I don't know what I expected so guess it doesn't really matter.

MattyG

Banned
I'm about 3 or 4 hours in, just nearing the end of chapter 5 I think. I love it so far. Never really been into survival horror or horror at all, but this has made me a fan. I'll definitely be playing RE4 finally after this and REmake once it's out on PC.

If I had to pick one thing I'm a little disappointed in, it would be that it's more thrilling than it is scary. There's only been a couple times that I've jumped or my heart's fluttered. Alien had me more legit shook than this has.
Is it possible to get the Double Barrel Shotgun in-game without the Fighting Chance Pack?
I want to know this too. I'll use the code if it's the only way to get the double barrel.

Lucent

Got through chapter 1 only die'n once on Survival somehow. lol

I snuck up to
get the keys and was too slow and the guy chainsawed off my arm and then my head.

But at the locker sequence I only hid in the first locker and I tried to get to the other and he saw me. I went through the square hole in the wall and got nicked by his chainsaw but managed to outrun him to get to the elevator.
Was very intense the whole time.

AsfaeksBR

Since Saraiva cancelled my pre-order, just re-pre-ordered it from Livrarias Cultura.
But I don't know when I'll receive it, because they say they'll dispatch the game tomorrow, but th "estimated delivery date" said the 28th...

tav7623

Currently in the process of doing the mandatory 7GB install for the PS3 version, was looking at the box art and I gotta say I'm kinda digging the reversible cover art

Also is anyone having issues redeeming the Fighting Chance pack on PSN?

kodecraft

Got through chapter 1 only die'n once on Survival somehow. lol

I snuck up to
get the keys and was too slow and the guy chainsawed off my arm and then my head.

But at the locker sequence I only hid in the first locker and I tried to get to the other and he saw me. I went through the square hole in the wall and got nicked by his chainsaw but managed to outrun him to get to the elevator.
Was very intense the whole time.

Damn, I can't wait. Unpacking now (PC version)

Just got to chapter 6 and still streaming. Steady 30 at 2880x1620 with no hitching with a 780Ti. Not sure why they tried to sabotage the port's reception, it runs well locked!

Looks really nice most of the time, great lighting.

Mupod

For anyone else who has cleared chapter 3 I ran into something I thought was odd.

I wasn't sure what to do with the chainsaw man, when I walked near his pen he broke free and started chasing me. I thought I might need to lure him to the chain and make him attack it, which ended up with me cut in half.

Second time, I moved up close to his 'cell' and he didn't break out. I had to shoot him a few times to coax him out of there.

Is this some RE4-like dynamic difficulty shit or just a bug?

Bleh you have to adjust the framerate and aspect ratio every time you launch the game :-/

You can add it to the launch options in steam, or a desktop shortcut. Check the pc performance thread, it worked for me.

malfcn

SO.FUCKING.EXCITED!

71JSl6Yl.jpg

Probably just going to wait till tomorrow to play, but I wanted to get it tonight. Was fucking ecstatic to see it have a nice lenticular slip and not just a regular case. Maybe it's for pre-order, says special edition packaging on the sticker. Anyway, been waiting for a game like this for so long. Cannot wait to just sit and get lost in the game. The GameStop midnight releases are... lame? I mean. They had some van outside playing some coin catching game or something. Looked really hokey. Was maybe 10 people there. I don't know what I expected so guess it doesn't really matter.

Where did you pick it up from? GS?

ryan13ts

Ok GAF, am I missing something or doing something wrong in regards to the beginning of the game?

The first enemy you see in the game keeps killing me the first time, even though I'm sneaking to get the key perfectly. However, when the game reloads, the key is now glowing (It wasn't before) and I do the same thing as before but I get by just fine this time. There's no way that the game requires you to die right off the back right? I've restarted the game 3 different times and this scenario happens each time
Am I the only one this has happened to?

Top Bottom