• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

I struggled my way through the first chapter. I have issues with the camera angle and not being able to see shit. Is this a common problem? I havent been following but I am almost done with the game because of it. If I cant see whats going on it doesnt instill fear it instills frustration. I hid behind a counter for about 5 frustrating minutes before I said fuck it and ran for it.
I mean WTF. Let me go first person and peak over a counter instead of making me guess.

Duxxy3

Just started Chapter 3. Really liking it so far in spite of the technical issues (framerate, letterboxed FOV, etc.). Getting a little worried though reading all these people complaining about Chapter 10, 11, and 12. I hope it doesn't get too bad.

Well it ain't easy. Just listen to some Rocky IV... that should, probably, help.

It's also a shame that Capcom sabotaged their own game and fucked up Mercs with nasty preorder DLC splits.

Totally forgot about that lol

I really hope Capcom doesn't throw out RE6's mechanics for RE7. Or hell, use those mechanics to start a new IP. I just want to shoulder check a motherfucker, turn around and counter another guy's melee for an insta kill, turn back to the first enemy, shoot him in the face, give him the hip toss of his life, turn around, see a whole group of bastards closing in, sprint towards them, pop into a slide, drop a remote bomb mid-slide, 180 the shit out of that slide and detonate the bomb in one graceful maneuver before getting back up and ending it all with cheesiest thumbs up animation OF ALL TIME

Damn, now I'm all sweaty.

Alright, just wrapped this up at 21 hrs 30 minutes with 70 deaths on Survival. If we could see a death-by-death breakdown, I think at least half of them would be from instakill moves and the other half would be from failed bomb disarm attempts. Of course there's a legit strategy to all this, and if I were to replay some of these encounters right now I'd be able to speed through them, but there's still some part of me that dislikes the overuse of this "trial by death" style of mini-boss and boss encounter. I think something as small as a risky contextual dodge during some of those moves in some of those encounters would've improved the experience a lot. From the mechanics, to the animations, to the visual presentation; none of it feels in sync with the kind of fast reaction based maneuvers you're asked to do in this game. In many ways it feels like 2 different styles butting heads- slow stealth survival horror, and high octane action horror- but neither are done consistently well so the game moves along steadily in this awkward middle ground shifting slightly one way or the other moment to moment.

So why does it work when it works? 2 reasons:

1. Pacing, on the whole, is very well done. There are a few missteps such as the first chapter and some later game events, but the middle section of the game (Chapters 3-10, with the exception of the 1st half of Chapter 9) is so well crafted in its environmental and scenario design, you're tempted to guarantee The Evil Within a top 5 GOTY consideration while you're in the midst of it. They get so much out of what aren't exactly big levels, and jump into and out of memorable moments with perfect timing. Environments, enemies, and challenges are presented, used, and discarded in a way that you can almost feel Tango's excitement to show you what's around the next corner. Lots of great art direction and use of lighting as well. You really get the sense that you're seeing a lot of different environments by the time you're through.

2. Combat, when it goes in your favor, is satisfying, crunchy, tactical, and tense. I don't know how they balanced it as well as they did, but it's one of the few recent survival hybrid games where I routinely finished major encounters with VERY little to no resources. Icing on the cake are those wonderful headshots that are even more exaggerated than MIkami's own Resident Evil 4, a good decision given that you feel woefully underpowered in most situations even after going through most of the upgrades. Headshots in this game are the ultimate stress relief.

Swinging this back around to the negatives, I wish the game was more polished, more crisp, more fluid, more well presented. Frequently I found myself fighting the FoV due to what's a very questionable (last minute?) decision to zoom the aiming camera to extreme levels in combination with what's an already cramped use of screen space with a 2.5:1 aspect ratio and super tight "on the shoulder" views. It simply doesn't work well considering half of your time spent in combat is looking to the ground for bodies to burn and items to pick up, or looking up for traps and enemies. It would be one thing if this was a slow game, but it's much faster than it lets on initially, and it becomes disorienting balancing these quirks with enemies you need to run away from because of the aforementioned instakill moves. Beyond that, movement and item pick-up prompts are slippery and inconsistent, respectively, leading to situations where you have to play with the camera and double/triple press inputs to make sure Sebatian is doing what you want. Bottom line is that combat feels like it wants to be The Last of Us x RE4, but it's not as fluid as TLOU, and nowhere near as precise as RE4. Again, sitting in this awkward middle ground.

On the narrative side of things.... well, it's flat. Characters are dry and stilted, motivations are who even knows, things happen, blood bleeds, weird stuff attempts to weird you out, science, brains, experiments, nurses, mental asylum, mutants, church. splicing???....man, I don't know. You go to lots of places, see lots of things, kill lots of freaks, then it ends. The mood isn't moody enough, the cheese isn't cheesy enough.

How do I sum this up?.....It's a meaty, well paced, sometimes excellent, sometimes head scratching survival-action-horror experience well worth playing because it packs more great design in its great moments than most games have good moments. It's flawed and struggles to live up to the legacy of its spiritual predecessors in atmosphere and action, but it's still a good time.

Chapter rankings:

Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 10
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 14
Chapter 7
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 9
Chapter 2
Chapter 8
Chapter 15
Chapter 1

Lucent

Gonna try to finish this game tonight. 2 chapters left. But I'm already anticipating the DLC.

Really wondering how the
Keeper
DLC is gonna work. Like, what could they possibly have you do
as him
?

-MD-

I struggled my way through the first chapter. I have issues with the camera angle and not being able to see shit. Is this a common problem? I havent been following but I am almost done with the game because of it. If I cant see whats going on it doesnt instill fear it instills frustration. I hid behind a counter for about 5 frustrating minutes before I said fuck it and ran for it.
I mean WTF. Let me go first person and peak over a counter instead of making me guess.

What is this.

If you hiding behind anything in this game for 5 minutes you're playing it wrong.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Heh I often think the same about mgs4 fans.
howimetyourmother-barneyirequestthehighestoffiveshighfive.gif

tumblr_n6waykX7351tc57f5o6_250.gif

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Gonna try to finish this game tonight. 2 chapters left. But I'm already anticipating the DLC.

Really wondering how the
Keeper
as him
?

SPOILERS DO NOT READ IF YOU HAVENT FINISHED THE GAME

especially when he's not even unique, you fight 2 of them in chapter 14 :/ I didnt apreciate that, story wise or gameplay wise because one was bad enough

The
Ada
DLC at least is easy to figure out

Sanctuary

Really wondering how the
Keeper
as him
?

Invade other people's games and
one-shot
them.

ThisOne

The letterboxed view doesn't help things out any but you just need to rotate the camera around some and move around some so you can get a bearing on where an enemy is. The game intentionally doesn't it make it easy to know where all enemies are. You won't get anything as convenient as Listen Mode in The Last of Us. I haven't gotten too frustrated so far with the enemy encounters but I'm only on Chapter 3.

Sanctuary

The letterboxed view doesn't help things out any but you just need to rotate the camera around some and move around some so you can get a bearing on where an enemy is. The game intentionally doesn't it make it easy to know where all enemies are. You won't get anything as convenient as Listen Mode in The Last of Us. I haven't gotten too frustrated so far with the enemy encounters but I'm only on Chapter 3.

Who used Listen Mode? That would have just turned it into another run of the mill mash X to win type game. This game does have an awareness meter (on Casual) though, which is somewhat similar.

ThisOne

Who used Listen Mode? That would have just turned it into another run of the mill mash X to win type game. This game does have an awareness meter (on Casual) though, which is somewhat similar.

I used it and don't feel like it ruined the experience at all for me, but that's getting off-topic. My point is that something like Listen Mode isn't even an option here so you have to figure out other ways to move around. Usually it just means taking things more slowly than I did in The Last of Us.

Lucent

one-shot
them.

lol! Would be awesome if you could
play as him. Just troll people. Act like you're gonna stand around and let them get away. Throw some mines for them to disable so they can stock up on parts. Then slam them hard.
=D

Mupod

well I'm the slowest of slowpokes but I finished chapter 7.
I expected some lame running and hiding bullshit but this chapter was surprisingly great. I fucked up once - in the passageway to the right of the save room I cleared out every enemy and got to the end, and instead of going to save I turned around to investigate a secret passage. I noticed that I could get to it by dropping the spike thing down and riding it up, what I didn't know is that if I didn't get off immediately I'd die to spikes on the ceiling. I also didn't know there hadn't been a checkpoint since the start of that whole area.

On the upside, I managed to retry the area and used a hell of a lot less ammo by using the traps. Which came in handy with bullying the poor Keeper around to farm some gel. One harpoon and one shotgun blast would take him down each time. I'm glad it was an actual boss fight, but I hope they stop re-using the boss respawn mechanic.
Angry Joe is streaming now, just beat Chapter 1 if you like his stuff.

good god I hope this guy's schtick is to pretend to be bad at video games because this is painful to watch.

one-shot
them.
lol! Would be awesome if you could
play as him. Just troll people. Act like you're gonna stand around and let them get away. Throw some mines for them to disable so they can stock up on parts. Then slam them hard.
=D

Now that would be rad. lol
Would have totally bought the game for such a mode alone.

I just finished chapter 2.

Is it normal to have almost no ammo, half health and not know what the fuck I'm doing?

Well, it's still considered survival horror or some sort of so having barely any ammo is normal. Being low on health seems just as correct. That's the way I played it too.

-MD-

oh its a TLOU thing, I didnt play that (yet). Also, lol.

A bunch of other modern stealth games have that feature too, Dishonored had one for example.

Defeats the purpose of a stealth game.

good god I hope this guy's schtick is to pretend to be bad at video games because this is painful to watch.

Wow you weren't joking. He just ran up to a bomb, stood there and died then said the game sucks.

He's saying he can't tell what doors open and which ones don't? How is that even a complaint?

Lexad

My game backlog is going to be busy this fall and I am trying to figure out if I should pick this up. I am still finding myself in Destiny most days and I know Dragon Age is going to suck me in when I get that and Smash Bros. Should I pick this up now or wait for the inevitable price cut?

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
A bunch of other modern stealth games have that feature too, Dishonored had one for example.

Wow you weren't joking. He just ran up to a bomb, stood there and died then said the game sucks.

He's saying he can't tell what doors open and which ones don't? How is that even a complaint?

I thought that was X-Ray game play vision. You aren't suppose to lose.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
It might just be because I'm tired but chapter 10 has been kicking my ass left and right. Going to take a break for the night.

Anyone still wondering why Bethesda send out guides to reviewers?

Sanctuary

He was late on the bomb mini game by like a full second.

"I can't wait for you to try the bomb!"

I've had 3 blow up on me total, I must have done at least 20-25 successfully.

There's a noticeable delay from when you hit the button and the needle stops. On Akumu you pretty much have to ignore some of them or only disarm those that you can save before attempting. Not even sure how you can "die" from a bomb in the normal mode games since they aren't full life.

Alfredo

Uhh...I just beat the game. Hmm.

Also, I apparently played through most of the game with the music off and didn't realize it 'til I was watching a silent credits sequence. WHOOPS.

So...how was the music in the game? Should I play through it again just for that? I mean...I do love Masafumi Takada, lol.

Sanctuary

Uhh...I just beat the game. Hmm.

Also, I apparently played through most of the game with the music off and didn't realize it 'til I was watching a silent credits sequence. WHOOPS.

So...how was the music in the game? Should I play through it again just for that? I mean...I do love Masafumi Takada, lol.

Mostly ambient aside from a few battle themes.

-MD-

There's a noticeable delay from when you hit the button and the needle stops. On Akumu you pretty much have to ignore some of them or only disarm those that you can save before attempting. Not even sure how you can "die" from a bomb in the normal mode games since they aren't full life.

There is a bit of a delay but you just tap the button just before it enters the blue, I saw a couple folks a few days ago complaining the bombs were the scariest thing in the game but that shit is so easy for me.

Akumu might be a bitch though, I'm not sure if I'd risk too many on that mode.

I apparently played through most of the game with the music off

How is that even possible?

Why are you still wasting your time with the game then?? i don't think ive seen ANYTHING positive from you about it

I see your point. To be fair i think the mood and atmosphere in most chapters is great, The combat is solid and i would probably enjoy it a lot more if the FOV were adjusted (like what happened with RE6 in a patch).

So far chapter 13 seems good and i hope it stays this way till the end.

HeelPower

I avoided the timed bombs.

They do massive damage and sometimes just aren't worth the risk imo.

I only do them when I have high health or focused enough to do it.

Dominator

I loved chapter 10,only problem i had was
finding the levers to shoot when fighting the creepy spider woman
i died about 4 times,it's one of my favourite chapters so far (i'm on chapter 11)
I didn't even touch
her.
I just kept running around and
pushing all of the levers until I reached the end.
Lol it worked. But now I'm on 11 and some of the
dudes with machine guns
are incredibly annoying.

Sanctuary

There is a bit of a delay but you just tap the button just before it enters the blue, I saw a couple folks a few days ago complaining the bombs were the scariest thing in the game but that shit is so easy for me.

Akumu might be a bitch though, I'm not sure if I'd risk too many on that mode.

You've seen how thin the safe zone is with the bombs on Akumu (and I'm assuming they are the same on Nightmare) right? They are the thinnest you find on Survival. All of them.

-MD-

Watching Angry Joe and his friend play is just tragic tragic stuff.

You've seen how thin the safe zone is with the bombs on Akumu (and I'm assuming they are the same on Nightmare) right? They are the thinnest you find on Survival. All of them.

Oh I thought they were even thinner than that on akumu, I'd take the risk if I was at a reasonable checkpoint in that case. The bombs are really a non issue for me, guess I just have good timing.

Lucent

LOL! So I'm playing chapter
and this is the first time I've actually fought a
Fake Ruvik besides the one you're introduced to.
I threw a bottle at the back of his head and shot him with a 240% damage harpoon and he got stuck to the ceiling. I was like "uhh...you okay, buddy?" and he fell after a few secs. I was like "nope. not gonna chance it" and dropped a match on his ass. lol

Alfredo

How is that even possible?

I was testing the DLNA feature on the Xbox One, and muted the in-game music for that. Then forgot I had muted it.

I thought it was still on, because the save room music still played when it was nearby, but I guess the game doesn't consider that an actual music track.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

but that had MAGIC. And Batman has sonar or whatever, and Ezio has eagle vision etc

what does Joel have? :p

I only took notice of the music in the very last chapter where they had something that sounded like a Carpenter + Lynch collaboration droning in the background. The rest is typical screeching strings, horns and bombast for the bigger moments, and percussive noise for the grungier boss battles.

I avoided the timed bombs.

They do massive damage and sometimes just aren't worth the risk imo.

I only do them when I have high health or focused enough to do it.

Yeah, I got them right about 98% of the time on my first playthrough, but the other 2% really hurt, so I decided to just not bother with them anymore.

I missed the very first bomb since I wasn't prepared for the delay. But since then I've disarmed every single bomb I've come across without fail.

Sanctuary

Oh I thought they were even thinner than that on akumu, I'd take the risk if I was at a reasonable checkpoint in that case. The bombs are really a non issue for me, guess I just have good timing.

Being thinner would make them just about impossible to get on a first try. They are about one and a half times the width of the pointer.

Top Bottom