• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

I can confirm that upgrading your clip and/or ammo stock will increase the amount of ammo you get in the wild.

Also, the
rocket launcher
will kill even bosses in one hit. I said dayum.

Don't you have trap parts to build explosive arrows? If you really have nothing you may be screwed.

I finally beat it! Finished the game with 141 deaths.

Time to go to the spoiler thread and figure out the story..

lol

jett

D-Member
Another poster mentioned this and I asked if anyone else could confirm. Most I've found on rank 3 capacity is maybe 6-7 rounds, it's typically 1-3. 20 is insane and actually sounds like it could break/ruin the flow of the game.

Is this only for rank 5 capacity?

Maybe, I had it rank 3 or 4 before and I didn't really see much difference.

I finally beat it! Finished the game with 141 deaths.

Time to go to the spoiler thread and figure out the story..

lol

Nice. :p You'll have a hard time figuring out much though.

Haha, when he said that I was like "NOW you notice!?"

I'm quite enjoying the game but the dialogue is stupid as fuck, and not in the deliciously cheesy RE4 way either.

It's unfortunate the dialogue is so dull in its writing and delivery. Not believable enough to be impactful, not cheesy enough to be funny. It straddles the in-between line of meh.

Sanctuary

Press circle to holster your weapon. Voila.

I don't know about the console versions, but on PC there's this strange annoyance where sometimes the reticle is persistent, if you used a bottle, grenade or other one-time use object that initially had the aiming parabola or reticle (melee weapon while holding the left trigger). You have to equip your pistol or whatever and then put it away to get that to clear.

I can confirm that upgrading your clip and/or ammo stock will increase the amount of ammo you get in the wild.

What difficulty are you playing on? I'm also not sure how many people are going to focus on a single weapon until it's fully upgraded at the cost of every other weapon. You end up missing out on being able to carry a whole lot of ammo for other weapons up to that point. I can honestly say that I do not remember ever seeing ammo more than four max drop from an enemy, but you'll occasionally find pre placed ammo that is almost always higher. I never noticed an increase on my first game from either drops or static and it sure as hell doesn't seem to affect trap parts you find from boxes and such.

I noticed this, too. Once I I could hold 50 pistol rounds, they were dropping in stacks of 5-10+, rather than 2-5.

I thought it was just the natural progression through the chapters that was doing it, but you're right, it could certainly just be tied to your max capacity.

Dropping, or static? Not the same thing. I ended up getting 8 magnum rounds from a locker and it only had one capacity upgrade. Probably would have had the same with zero upgrades.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Finished chapter 1. I don't know, felt really underwhelmed by the whole thing. The game seems to have been made on a really low budget, which isn't bad, but the visuals are very disappointing.

Also what's up with RB button on the Xbox One controller? Absolutely hate pressing that thing to crouch. Can't believe they spent $100 million on this crap.

Finished chapter 1. I don't know, felt really underwhelmed by the whole thing. The game seems to have been made on a really low budget, which isn't bad, but the visuals are very disappointing.

Also what's up with RB button on the Xbox One controller? Absolutely hate pressing that thing to crouch. Can't believe they spent $100 million on this crap.

Maybe try playing farther before complaining

Gustaf89

Banned
Maybe try playing farther before complaining

i know right?! lol

well i definetely hate chapter 2 and 3, and not because they are bad chapters or something, but because they run LIKE SHIT; i mean sometimes my pc drops to 15fps and i have an average of 20/25 on those chapters, and i'm pretty sure chapter 4 will be the same

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I don't know about the console versions, but on PC there's this strange annoyance where sometimes the reticle is persistent, if you used a bottle, grenade or other one-time use object that initially had the aiming parabola or reticle (melee weapon while holding the left trigger). You have to equip your pistol or whatever and then put it away to get that to clear.

What difficulty are you playing on? I'm also not sure how many people are going to focus on a single weapon until it's fully upgraded at the cost of every other weapon. You end up missing out on being able to carry a whole lot of ammo for other weapons up to that point. I can honestly say that I do not remember ever seeing ammo more than four max drop from an enemy, but you'll occasionally find pre placed ammo that is almost always higher. I never noticed an increase on my first game from either drops or static and it sure as hell doesn't seem to affect trap parts you find from boxes and such.

Dropping, or static? Not the same thing. I ended up getting 8 magnum rounds from a locker and it only had one capacity upgrade. Probably would have had the same with zero upgrades.

I got a handgun 20 drop from a normal haunted. I think the second was in the environment, but I'm in the earlier part(chapter 4/5). Unless NG+ also messes with values since I'm on that right now.

Mubbed

I would have preferred an option for separate camera and aiming sensitivity rather than them combining both options. Is there a chance this distinction could be modded into the PC version?

I think stock was my most important upgrade. Not maxed out, but enough in each one that I never really felt "shit, I'm out of ammo for EVERYTHING" if you don't fire bullets like Rambo. Plus, the 20-30% crit chance and/or an abundance of matches, it aint so bad

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Man, you guys weren't kidding about chapter 11. This is awful.

If you think about it. That scenario is pretty creepy. It took me a second waltz through it to find it myself. I'd say there was just a larger ambition to show off. It's a lot to try to take in all at once.
Otherwise, yeah it was a nightmare.

I felt the same way when playing it. Looking back on it, it really wasn't all that bad when I think about all of the scenarios. It was just in such heavy contrast to the insanity of chapter 10 that it's kind of shocking for the game to shift tone so heavily.

antitrop

I felt the same way when playing it. Looking back on it, it really wasn't all that bad when I think about all of the scenarios. It was just in such heavy contrast to the insanity of chapter 10 that it's kind of shocking for the game to shift tone so heavily.

It also doesn't look nearly as bad next to 12, which is the real disaster. The best thing I can say is that it's over relatively quickly, like a trip to the dentist.

But at least when you're done with the dentist, your teeth are clean. Chapter 12 just leaves you with disappointment and broken dreams.

My problems with Ch12:

-
The monster is not fun to fight. You stand in place and blast it head on with the shotgun and pistol until a cutscene triggers. It looks cool, but you're too focused on shooting the monster and dodging his attack to appreciate the chaos

-
The ambush wasn't really any fun at all. The combat in this game is great, but this set-piece was just boring waves and shooting red barrels while standing in place. The only need to move is to run to the other side of the bus to dodge dynamite. The snipers can provide some frustrating cheap shots

-
The part where you have to stealth through the vehicle graveyard isn't so bad, there's really nothing interesting about it. Most of the enemies have guns, so you can just mix a bit of stealth with your sniper rifle and it's trivial. It's boring.

-
The 50 cal turret part speaks for itself. Either you like it or you don't. I thought it was dumb.

-
The driving minigame played itself, as I posted last night. I accidentally finished it without moving the fucking analog stick, because I thought it was a cutscene

WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Fucking Ch. 9.

FUCKING
RUVIK RANDOM SPAWNS AND ONE HIT KILLS.

I need a break from this madness.

burgerdog

Just beat it,I really enjoyed the game except for a few sections in chapter 11 and 12. I hope they get the chance to make a sequel. They could have a classic on their hands if they iron some of the kinks out.

It's rare when I feel like playing a game right after I finish and I want to so badly, but Bayonetta 2 takes priority now.

^
Maybe they stand still and close their eyes.

jett

D-Member

I'm playing a second round on NG+. :p I wouldn't worry about that sort of thing. An enemy dropping four max is a good increase for me though, usually I just get 1 or 2 bullets.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
It's REALLY not that hard, idk how people are having issues

It's not that it's hard, I'm just having a difficult time with it.

I think the tense-ness with where and when he could pop up coupled with stress during the day was just a bit much for me at the time.

I'm at chapter 11 and if the game had have ended at chapter 8 I would have been happy. I'll finish it, but there are too many one hit kill bosses and enemies.

Papercuts

It also doesn't look nearly as bad next to 12, which is the real disaster. The best thing I can say is that it's over relatively quickly, like a trip to the dentist.

But at least when you're done with the dentist, your teeth are clean. Chapter 12 just leaves you with disappointment and broken dreams.

My problems with Ch12:

-
The monster is not fun to fight. You stand in place and blast it head on with the shotgun and pistol until a cutscene triggers. It looks cool, but you're too focused on shooting the monster and dodging his attack to appreciate the chaos

-
The ambush wasn't really any fun at all. The combat in this game is great, but this set-piece was just boring waves and shooting red barrels while standing in place. The only need to move is to run to the other side of the bus to dodge dynamite. The snipers can provide some frustrating cheap shots

-
The part where you have to stealth through the vehicle graveyard isn't so bad, there's really nothing interesting about it. Most of the enemies have guns, so you can just mix a bit of stealth with your sniper rifle and it's trivial. It's boring.

-
The 50 cal turret part speaks for itself. Either you like it or you don't. I thought it was dumb.

-
The driving minigame played itself, as I posted last night. I accidentally finished it without moving the fucking analog stick, because I thought it was a cutscene

WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK

Yup, same issues I had with it. Ultimately the game's combat isn't strong when you're barely able to move around,
it also makes shooting galleries like the ambush and the chapter 11 slow ass tram not too great since the game has to kinda concede and make them drop over in one leg shot so the people who don't have any crit chance wouldn't have to dump all of their ammo into the enemies, since you lose the ability to use matches and heads take a bunch of shots otherwise.

And the ending just doesn't even render properly in the game, even if you know you can move. It's some lol-tier stuff.

It's not that it's hard, I'm just having a difficult time with it.

I think the tense-ness with where and when he could pop up coupled with stress during the day was just a bit much for me at the time.

Just slow down and dont run too far from him, he wont spawn in front of you if you stay within a certain range, and dont stand still either, he'll go away eventually

Lucent

You definitely need to play more. =/

The first two chapters are mostly a tutorial/introduction. The whole game isn't about hiding in lockers and being chased without being able to fight back.

Also, I own both consoles, and I totally don't like the Xbox One's bumpers. They feel worse than the 360 bumpers somehow. But the DualShock 4's shoulder buttons are really nice and easy to reach. Also can press the whole thing instead of the edges. I know that's kind of useless to say if you only have one choice of controller but yeah the difference makes that a lot easier on my fingers.

Papercuts

Green gel pickups are doubled, at least.

Yeah, it's seemed like there's more to pick up. I'm also not sure what's up with lockers since the green gels seem to be giving me more. Like, 20K at once. But that might just be something that happens as you get closer to opening them all.

Not true. I started all my versions up without it. Added the codes later. Downloaded. It worked after chapter 3. The shotgun you have to press a button to switch in the menu. The bolts are just in the list of bolts you can create. Seems like yours might have just glitched? Remove the DLC and redownload perhaps.

I dont know how.

ironcreed

Banned
I was enjoying the game up until I got to chapter 5, but now everything is just starting to kind of drag. Some of the psychological mind-fuckery has been pretty appealing, but the overall presentation, dialogue, look and gameplay really feels almost budgety. I am honestly having a hard time caring about what is going on and the more I play, the more I realize that it also looks and plays like shit as well. Sorry, Mikami.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I dont know how.

Which console or PC? You should have a data settings or steam options for DLC. If anything check to see if it was downloaded and if you are on chapter 3.

the double barrel is actually in the same spot as the regular shotgun, just switch the variant or toggle with square on ps4. You should also notice if you're carrying a med pack as well.

Lucent

I was enjoying the game up until I got to chapter 5, but now everything is just starting to kind of drag. Some of the psychological mind-fuckery has been pretty appealing, but the overall presentation, dialogue, look and gameplay really feels almost budgety. I am honestly having a hard time caring about what is going on and the more I play, the more I realize that it also looks and plays like shit as well. Sorry, Mikami.

Really? I guess I'm not nearly as sensitive to this stuff. I loved the environments. Most everything didn't look repeated and like they crafted everything pretty well. I think the gameplay is fine and I can control Sebastian with little to no trouble. Definitely doesn't look or play like shit. Most fun I've had blowing off heads ever. And there are a lot of times I stop and really admire the look of the game.

PS4 version btw.

ironcreed

Banned
Really? I guess I'm not nearly as sensitive to this stuff. I loved the environments. Most everything didn't look repeated and like they crafted everything pretty well. I think the gameplay is fine and I can control Sebastian with little to no trouble. Definitely doesn't look or play like shit. Most fun I've had blowing off heads ever. And there are a lot of times I stop and really admire the look of the game.

PS4 version btw.

PS4 version here as well.

Anyway, I really just don't like the way Sebastian moves or the camera that pans in too close. It just feels awkward and janky to me. As for the game itself, it has it's moments when it is trying to mess with your head, but those moments never keep their momentum because of how awful the voice acting and overall presentation is.

I don't know. I was hyped as hell for it and am trying to like it and give it a fair shake. I just find myself not really caring as I play, but I will keep an open mind and finish it for sure. Maybe it will pick up some.

Which console or PC? You should have a data settings or steam options for DLC. If anything check to see if it was downloaded and if you are on chapter 3.

the double barrel is actually in the same spot as the regular shotgun, just switch the variant or toggle with square on ps4. You should also notice if you're carrying a med pack as well.

PS4. No clue how to delete just a downloaded pack. Code doesn't let me redownload it.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
PS4. No clue how to delete just a downloaded pack. Code doesn't let me redownload it.

Can you go into your game icon. Click on Related Items

Is it there? 1.6 MB?

It shows up as a pre-order item. I just checked the store and nothings there except the Season Pass. I went into the data managing setting and it includes the entire game. The only way to tell from my point of view is seeing it in the Related Items menu. When I click on it again it should show an already ended countdown.

Your other way of checking is to go into your inventory and check out what you got. If you don't have the
crossbow
then it won't show up yet.

The bolts wont show up until you get the crossbow. The double barrel shotgun will show up in Chapter 3 and you'll get the med pack (gel, etc)

It does say +1 other item in the library, but I'm wondering if that's just a placeholder for the entire install. I have the Season Pass, but it's not showing up just yet.

Lucent

PS4 version here as well.

Anyway, I really just don't like the way Sebastian moves or the camera that pans in too close. It just feels awkward and janky to me. As for the game itself, it has it's moments when it is trying to mess with your head, but those moments never keep their momentum because of how awful the voice acting and overall presentation is.

I don't know. I was hyped as hell for it and am trying to like it and give it a fair shake. I just find myself not really caring as I play, but I will keep an open mind and finish it for sure. Maybe it will pick up some.

I will admit that when I first heard about this game as Project Zwei, I was hoping it'd be much scarier and stuff. The game did make me really tense at first, but it was that RE4 for the first time kind of tense where I just didn't know how to handle the enemies properly. But I still have that RE4 feel of "I wanna keep seeing where the game takes me next" and "that was cool I wanna keep playing". I do wish there was more, and luckily they're working on DLC. I definitely feel the game did enough to make me want more. But I do hope if they make another game in the series or try to do another survival horror IP it is scarier. But I don't really know what will scare me anymore. RE1 back in the day made me sleep with the lights on. But I was pretty young. It doesn't do that anymore. Nothing really has. That P.T. demo is the one thing that's really creeped me out in a long time and I really hope they don't screw up Silent Hills.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Game got good again in chapter 13. Phew. Was getting worried there for a bit.

I also think I was a hit too harsh on chapter 10 before. It does have an overreliance on one hit kills but I think I was just too tired to properly avoid them when I played through.

Chabbles

Played through the first 2 chapters tonight, and really liking it so far. idk if they were intentional references but i got
manhunt pig man with chainsaw and SH Homecoming intro flashbacks, and the blatant resi 1 first zombie encounter throwback.

AkuMifune

Banned
1st time through: Survival:13:17:45 and 68 Deaths.

Really loved the ending.
Kidman was right that Ex-Scientologist Hussie!
Time to go again.

I can do better!

stn

Got it for 360 today, on chapter 2 now. Impressions so far:

-If there IS lag, I don't "feel" it
-I definitely notice the pop-in, however
-The way camera closes in on you when you sneak is annoying, makes it hard to gauge my surroundings
-The black bars suck

Overall I'm enjoying it but I already know that it won't surpass RE4. Not even close.

Can you go into your game icon. Click on Related Items

Is it there? 1.6 MB?

It shows up as a pre-order item. I just checked the store and nothings there except the Season Pass. I went into the data managing setting and it includes the entire game. The only way to tell from my point of view is seeing it in the Related Items menu. When I click on it again it should show an already ended countdown.

Your other way of checking is to go into your inventory and check out what you got. If you don't have the
crossbow
then it won't show up yet.

The bolts wont show up until you get the crossbow. The double barrel shotgun will show up in Chapter 3 and you'll get the med pack (gel, etc)

I think that worked, you are the man.

nilbog21

Banned

Dude what? You like go up a ladder and hide in a locker in chapter 1..you haven't even started the game, why would you bother making this post.. My poor poor brain..

Sanctuary

Chapter 12 is just as bad in some ways. It's even worse on Nightmare+ because it's the "ammo dump" chapter in a few parts. Between chapters 11 - 12, I was running on empty by the time I finished them.

Dude what? You like go up a ladder and hide in a locker in chapter 1..you haven't even started the game, why would you bother making this post.. My poor poor brain..

Kind of like "I popped the game in and didn't like the logo splash screen. It looked cheap. Taking it back".

Top Bottom