• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

Oh god... that part was forehead-smackingly dumb. Has there ever been a more obvious indication that developers just ran out of ideas than the Razorblade Roomba©?

I got pretty salty at that part, not gonna lie. It's not hard, it's just artificial hard and that's the worst point to note within game design (unless it's intended to be stupid). The Evil Within pulling that off was so absurd and so far removed from the game it just felt silly. It honestly was I Wanna Be The Ruvik.

Blame Bethesda.

I just saw there was a PC update?!?!?

30 fps and 60 fps now?! Letterbox setting??? Fixed gameplay issues when above 30 FPS. Wow! Did this fix most of what people were complaining about?

-MD-

30 fps and 60 fps now?! Letterbox setting??? Fixed gameplay issues when above 30 FPS. Wow! Did this fix most of what people were complaining about?

The game lacks optimization right now, even on my 970 I can't maintain 60fps. And I guess there are still a few folks unhappy with the FOV.

We're still only 2 weeks out from release but hopefully they're working on an update for that.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
When is the first dlc releasing? Season pass is $10 on steam, insta bought.

Two weeks after release and they put the season pass up for half price... all while none of the content has been released for it. That is insane. I would be furious if I were one of the fools to have purchased it for full price. Another harsh lesson to *never* buy season passes unless heavily discounted.

Luckily I was able to pick the game + season pass bundle up for under the cost of the actual retail game from GMG using discount coupons.

All it did was add options in the game menu. You could already unlock the framerate via a config file or console command, and use Flawless Widescreen or other solutions to remove the letterboxes. Unfortunately, this update seems to have broken Flawless Widescreen, so now we can't adjust the FOV (to my knowledge). Makes it unplayable for me after having played 9 chapters with a wider FOV. Can't see shit.

Bladenic

Quick question on chapter 13:

Are the
Ruvik clones
kill able by sneaking? Because I killed one that way, but another one saw me despite having his back to me. Wtf

Two weeks after release and they put the season pass up for half price... all while none of the content has been released for it. That is insane. I would be furious if I were one of the fools to have purchased it for full price. Another harsh lesson to *never* buy season passes unless heavily discounted.

Luckily I was able to pick the game + season pass bundle up for under the cost of the actual retail game from GMG using discount coupons.

All it did was add options in the game menu. You could already unlock the framerate via a config file or console command, and use Flawless Widescreen or other solutions to remove the letterboxes. Unfortunately, this update seems to have broken Flawless Widescreen, so now we can't adjust the FOV (to my knowledge). Makes it unplayable for me after having played 9 chapters with a wider FOV. Can't see shit.

I hope they update that! I used Flawless Widescreen too and had it really pulled back far! :(

Dammit was hoping to finish my first playthrough this weekend...ugh.

Nemmy

When is the first dlc releasing? Season pass is $10 on steam, insta bought.

Oh hell yes! I wanted to get it since I finished the game, but the price tag was holding me back. Glad I waited.

Quick question on chapter 13:

Are the
Ruvik clones
kill able by sneaking? Because I killed one that way, but another one saw me despite having his back to me. Wtf

They should be, I killed them several times this way, though they're a real bitch to sneak up on.

Damn just beat it. Im so confused. Anyone link me to the spoiler thread? Im on my phone and the search button is being dumb.

Enjoy.

Pachimari

I finally got WiFi and were able to install The Evil Within but for some reason it keeps starting up the game on monitor 3 on a 4-screen set-up I have. Why won't it start up on my primary screen?

Isotope

I'm not sure who will benefit from this, but I never used "The Fighting Chance Pack" that came with TEW.

I don't plan on using it, so quote this post to see the code. This is for the PS4 version BTW.

Chapter 14 wasn't as hard as chapter 13 for me, mostly because it's not about traversing trapped filled rooms. But lots of narrow corridor fighting.

Hahaha! Chapter 15 was awesome! I don't know how many people realized, but the hallmark for survival horror game endings really is a big gauntlet to the final boss lol. I remember fighting through tons of ghosts in Fatal Frame 2 lol. And then the
dual Keeper fight was like fighting two Pyramid heads =p

All in all I had a great time with this game XD It's been alwhile since I've played a non-RPG that have lasted me this long, and still have the desire to go back for seconds to upgrade my gear and find all the collectibles.

In general I would say all the good things about this game is mechanics (Even though I would rather them do certain things differently), while the bad stuff are technical which honest to God I'm too busy trying to stay alive to notice most of the time but I'll admit they're there. I love the matches, Crossbow Bolts and the pick-up system and in general any combat that isn't just "Shoot the Gun"... Would love a more deeper melee/movement energy system like in RE6 (oh noes the horror!) I like how every zone has the different theme to it, and for better or worse you get to do a WIDE spectrum of activities =p

Only one question about the ending though...
Is Joseph still alive? They never actually shown his body...

Jingo

Jesus, no one had problems with the camera? Its the first game that i have to be far from the tv like hell, playing this game is leaving me really dizzy, sebastian is too close for my taste, i cant see shit when it comes to objects, sometimes i only know they are there cause the button to press it appears!

This is really a huge turn off cause im really diggin the atmosphere but the controls are killing me more than those zombies.

burnfout

Finished it, 17 hours and 99 deaths. Pretty happy with that.

Overall really enjoyed it, I don't get the hate for chapters 11 and 12.

Teknoman

Is there a reason to burn enemies that are just dead and hanging on objects? Do they reveal things? Also do those bonfires distract enemies?

Finished it, 17 hours and 99 deaths. Pretty happy with that.

Overall really enjoyed it, I don't get the hate for chapters 11 and 12.

Cahpter 11 is ..okay...but the
fish
is annoying as hell. Chapter 12 was a joke...seriously, it has to be joke. I have no idea why this chapter exists.

-MD-

Is there a reason to burn enemies that are just dead and hanging on objects? Do they reveal things? Also do those bonfires distract enemies?

No and no.

But if an enemy is close enough to the body you burn it'll catch on fire.

Some of them aren't dead like the
two headed monsters
and therefore could drop loot.

I answered assuming the enemy was for sure dead but yes this too, it's worth burning bodies that you think might stand up.

I don't get the hate for chapters 11 and 12.

Was mostly the
compound area with waves of enemies, the cart ride, the waves of enemies during the spider boss fight that was similar to the cart ride, driving the bus, the turret etc.

I just could've done without it. The
fish
were a non issue

19 and a half hours, 91 deaths. Survival.

two headed monsters

Cahpter 11 is ..okay...but the
fish
is annoying as hell. Chapter 12 was a joke...seriously, it has to be joke. I have no idea why this chapter exists.

Never had a problem with the
fish
, those hanging bodies made the solution obvious enough.

Eh, chapter 12 has a pretty good
stealth run through the abandon cars
, I thought it was alright.

19 and a half hours, 91 deaths. Survival.

two headed monsters

Never had a problem with the
fish
, those hanging bodies made the solution obvious enough.

Eh, chapter 12 has a pretty good
stealth run through the abandon cars
, I thought it was alright.

Yeah it should be the solution but it didn't work. Sometimes
it killed me and sometimes it was distracted by the bodies
. It's random....just like chaptr 9. I hate this.

*sigh*

I'm only in chapter 3, didn't like anything I've seen/played so far and after watching this I have no urge to continue. Oh and Mikami is my favourite game designer. What happened?

There's no story. The chapters aren't connected like in RE 4. The charcters are forgettable.
This game would have been a lot better if it had a cohesive world. It's still a good game, I like it but I have no idea how Mikami could make something like Resi 4 (masterpiece) because TEW is worse in every way.....10 years later.

There's no story. The chapters aren't connected like in RE 4. The charcters are forgettable.
This game would have been a lot better if it had a cohesive world. It's still a good game, I like it but I have no idea how Mikami could make something like Resi 4 (masterpiece) because TEW is worse in every way.....10 years later.

I can't say anything regarding the story only that I don't like the world/setting, but I knew that before. I hate Saw'ish horror stuff and this reminds me of it.

But that wouldn't be a problem if the actual gameplay would deliver. I had to turn of the game after the
chainsaw guy
in chapter 3 killed me the second time. It just feels clunky and like I'm fighting with the controls/fow. I just can't stop to compare it with RE4. Sure the character movement was limited there too, but everything was perfectly designed around those limitations and you felt badass from the first moment without taking away any tension.
This just feels so bad and disconnected to me :(

I can't say anything regarding the story only that I don't like the world/setting, but I knew that before. I hate Saw'ish horror stuff and this reminds me of it.

But that wouldn't be a problem if the actual gameplay would deliver. I had to turn of the game after the
chainsaw guy
in chapter 3 killed me the second time. It just feels clunky and like I'm fighting with the controls/fow. I just can't stop to compare it with RE4. Sure the character movement was limited there too, but everything was perfectly designed around those limitations and you felt badass from the first moment without taking away any tension.
This just feels so bad and disconnected to me :(

Yeah, I loved chapter 3+4 because they reminded me of RE 4. If you don't like these chapters I wouldnt play further because this game gets very frustrating and more action-orientated.
And btw: The boss fights in TEW are pure shit in comparison o RE4 (one hit kills, repetitive, trial&error).

Yeah, I loved chapter 3+4 because they reminded me of RE 4. If you don't like these chapters I wouldnt play further because this game gets very frustrating and more action-orientated.
And btw: The boss fights in TEW are pure shit in comparison o RE4 (one hit kills, repetitive, trial&error).

You are breaking my heart right now.........

I actually do like the level design in the described area
(chainsaw guy)
in chapter 3. I explored everything and took out the enemies one by one and that was kinda fun. But when the boss broke loose and shit got frantic it just became nightmare inducing. And not in a good way...

You are breaking my heart right now.........

I actually do like the level design in the described area
(chainsaw guy)
in chapter 3. I explored everything and took out the enemies one by one and that was kinda fun. But when the boss broke loose and shit got frantic it just became nightmare inducing. And not in a good way...

Ah okay, so you loved the level design but hated the boss fight?
Yeah...there's one problem:
the level design is now very linear, like in RE6 (but not that bad of course)
. Imo chapter 3, 4 and 9 (without a specific event) are the best chapters of the game. This might sound really bad but I like TEW. The chapters are linear, the story is bad, the characters are forgettable but the pacing is PERFECT....just like in RE4. This game doesn't get boring, every chapter is different....so there's a lot of replay value (there's a chapter select option)...and don't forget the collectables.

The above is why I'm laughing at the 3 Chapter Demo they've released on Steam, I can see that causing a lot of anger from people who play the demo and buy the entire game. It's this huge unintentional Bait & Switch.

So nice to get rid of the letterbox with an in-game option now. Finally finished chapter 7. So damn tense. I'm completely drained. Gonna play a little bit more tomorrow night.

Neff

Some of them wake up after you trigger an event, so burning them beforehand can save you ammo.

Otherwise, they're there to combo fire onto passing zombies.

Anyone run in to this problem?
After killing Laura in the crematorium, right before hoping on the elevator, the elevator itself is not there were it's supposed to be. It's just an empty void. I dropped down in to that void, but it basically just glitches me out of the map. I can see the elevator, as it's 1 floor above where it's supposed to be, but again, I see no way to access it. I already beat the game once, but I didn't kill Laura there first time 'round; so when running to the elevator that first time, it triggered that cutscene and Seb hops on the elevator.
Any help? Thanks guys.

MrJTeera

Anybody manage to unlock the
automatic handgun (not the burst handgun)
weapon yet? I tried googling around but no one really knows how.

Mupod

came back to the game after a brief bayonetta 2 interlude, gonna try and finish it off tomorrow night.

Played 11 and 12, they weren't nearly as bad as people were making them out to be. Did a lot of creative ammo conservation which made them more interesting, and now I'm ready for whatever 13/14 throw at me.

Examples would be
crouching my way through the cable car ride and only shooting the molotov dorks, letting the NPCs do as much work as possible, and farming the maggots from the spider monster for bullets.

zlatko

Banned
Beat the notorious 11 and 12 today. I went from Chapter 7 to 13 in about one sitting with periodical breaks.

I have zero qualms with 11 or 12. I enjoyed them, and was expecting something difficult. First try in all segments pretty much---at least for the "wave" portions people complained about.

This game is honestly quite easy on its normal mode. I sort of wish there was a harder mode than that from the get go to access. I can't imagine how piss easy casual must be. :/

Very generous check points, easy bosses, simple trial and error gameplay, and very linear. These put together do not make a frustrating game. If it had broken game elements or bugs, then the game could be "frustrating" for difficulty, but that's not present here either.

With all that said I am loving this game. I just hope the ending is rock solid. This is definitely my Bioshock/Dead Space for this new generation. Love it.

Cudder

I beat the game earlier tonight. Absolutely loved it.

Played it back to back after Alien Isolation and liked this more. It brought back the feeling of playing survival horror games on the PS2. Alien was great, but it's kind of gameplay/survival horror is very much the new era of horror games. This game brought out the nostalgia in me to the older days when horror games played like this.

The Silent Hill influence is undeniable, and the graphics are insane to me (especially the lighting). Environments were awesome and varied.

Man I loved this game, it's up there for my GOTY.

Kudos Mikami and team.

I'd like to see some high level combat play, or at least serious thoughts about the core mechanics. I'd like to write about it myself, I'd like to pretty much eviscerate a lot of it really, but maybe there are things I'm missing. I really hope there are things I'm missing. This game is a piece of work.

-MD-

I'd like to see some high level combat play, or at least serious thoughts about the core mechanics. I'd like to write about it myself, I'd like to pretty much eviscerate a lot of it really, but maybe there are things I'm missing. I really hope there are things I'm missing. This game is a piece of work.

Huh? What are you having trouble with?

Just finished the PC demo. This game is pretty great. I actually think the graphics are great too.
As soon as I get enough money I'm buying it.

Also, I don't understand why people say chapter 2 is bad.

Yeah it should be the solution but it didn't work. Sometimes
it killed me and sometimes it was distracted by the bodies
. It's random....just like chaptr 9. I hate this.

It's not random, I'm not sure if you're doing anything wrong like shooting a body too far away, or running too early or late, but it works 100% of the time for me.

If need too, you could still see it moving in the waters so wait till it's the furthest from you.

Given this thread this post is debatable in every way.

(Well maybe the characters, but I kinda like them in their own ways, mostly just Seb, Jo and Ruvik)

Also, I don't understand why people say chapter 2 is bad.

I have no idea either, just git gud with the controls =p

Teknoman

Some of them wake up after you trigger an event, so burning them beforehand can save you ammo.

Otherwise, they're there to combo fire onto passing zombies.

So dont horde matches, got it. Lol I was probably going to end up with a ton.

EDIT: Personally I think Chapter 2 and 3 should have been the same chapter. Seemed a little early to split things.

Huh? What are you having trouble with?

"Having trouble with" isn't the right description really. Playing and watching others play has reinforced my thoughts that the game is basically rotten at its core (the fundamentals of combat), and has a lot of really poor ancillary design (level design, specific enemy design) to boot. In many ways I'm stunned this came directly from Mikami, instead of being something he just influenced, like Shadows of the Damned.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
about to wrap this up and can't wait to do new game+.

is anyone else just a total sucker for these weapon economies? i mean, come on! i want to just put this weapon economy into every game. i just wish there was a roleplaying game with upgrades i sought so compulsively.

Top Bottom