• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shoe talks Gears 2

Just posted this over at GearHeads:

Last week we brought you someone who has seen Gears 2 in action. This week we bring you someone who has actually played it.

In our 6th installment of the "I Claim Shenanigans" podcast we bring you Dan Hsu. Former Editor in Chief of EGM, Shoe has not only seen, but played almost 6 hours of Gears 2 and was willing to talk about it. A special thanks to Shoe for being so willing to work with us!!!

Our discussion isn't exclusive to Gears 2 however, as we talk with Shoe about the Itagaki news, Halo Wars and his dealings on the streets as an Achievement whore.

Be sure and listen to the entire podcast as we reveal a special giveaway near the end, as well as a very quick look at the daily life of Shoe after leaving EGM.

Check it out:

LINK

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Francias Castiglione said:
Almost 6 hours? So he got to finish it!?!? ARF.

Gonna listen nooooow

Never said he finished it. Probably ate through a big part of the campaign, but it definitely lasts more than 6 hours.

Relix said:
Never said he finished it. Probably ate through a big part of the campaign, but it definitely lasts more than 6 hours.

The 6 hours was of multiplayer...Of which he has plenty of stories ;)

Relix said:

I was just getting that in before others did to be honest. I reckon they'll break 10 hours this time around at least.

Relix said:

And we dont know the multiplayer/singleplayer split in that 6 hours, the cover story he wrote was just about the multiplayer.

wartime1020 said:
And we dont know the multiplayer/singleplayer split in that 6 hours, the cover story he wrote was just about the multiplayer.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
SweetTea023 said:

Oh really? Wow I thought it was all SP, my bad then. The game is shaping up to me amazing though.

Relix said:
Oh really? Wow I thought it was all SP, my bad then. The game is shaping up to me amazing though.

Ya, actually the reason he saw it in the first place was for his big EGM cover story in their latest issue...which has a TON of multiplayer info in it....very well written

That was great, the volume levels between the three guys were a little inconsistent though.

It would be nice if the meatshield thing was optional as you guys were discussing, otherwise it does just become a cast of blasting through the guts of your team-mate to get to the guy holding him up instead of something a little more tactical.

Francias Castiglione said:
That was great, the volume levels between the three guys were a little inconsistent though.

It would be nice if the meatshield thing was optional as you guys were discussing, otherwise it does just become a cast of blasting through the guts of your team-mate to get to the guy holding him up instead of something a little more tactical.

Ya, it's only our 6th podcast so we're still ironing out the kinks....Doing a podcast over the internet just isn't easy to make sound perfect....but in time, we will ;)

As for the meatshield thing, ya I'd prefer tactical =/

It was long, but I liked it really. But yeah, volume of the speakers was inconsistent, at times hard to understand what, what seemed to be a guy in the back, was saying.

I liked the Gears 2 info, like the crawling stuff and the changing of weapons in the map when respawning.

<3 hammerburst as optional starting weapon.

If they were playing over the internet with other people (and I think he said that they were for part) then I really wish they asked about weapon delays and host advantages, I was tempted to play gears after hearing this interview to be killed too many times because host was whoring 1 hit weapons...

Diablohead said:
<3 hammerburst as optional starting weapon.

If they were playing over the internet with other people (and I think he said that they were for part) then I really wish they asked about weapon delays and host advantages, I was tempted to play gears after hearing this interview to be killed too many times because host was whoring 1 hit weapons...

Ya Shoe said his favorite weapon in gears 1 was host advantage...;) But ya the option of having the hammerburst as your optional weapons should spice things up a bit~in a good way

Downloading now.

Also if Shoe was playing over the internet I'm not to sure if it'd pick up any lag. Almost anytime I play with friends I get just about no lag. I'm sure the proximity between Shoe and the people he was playing was such that there wasn't any significant advantage. And I'm sure those guys have great connections anyway.

In my experience its when you play with randoms in ranked/pubs that you really start to see how a games netcode is.

I've never heard of this site so I have absolutely no idea how reliable this is.

http://neocrisis.com/content/view/1596/41/

Hi guys, so my cousin works at Epic, and today they held like a special showing type thing to family and friends of the employees today and I got to play Gears 2 for like three hours!

I didn't get to meet Cliff (bummer =P), but got a ton of info from playing the game, some things I can tell you guys and some I cannot.

Campaign:

-Will be divided into 4 Acts, with 6 chapters in each Act. Each chapter should take like 30 minutes to complete, So your looking at around a 12 hour long game possibly?
-COG tags have been replaced with war journals.
-Raven helicopter playable! Well, from what I saw it was Marcus, Dom, and Carmine (with Dizzy piloting) the Raven, with everyone shooting these new bird like creatures.
-Four player co-op confirmed
-Cole and Baird won't be introduced until the second act. The story will then shift to 2 seperate ones, Marcus's and Dom's. Marcus will have himself, Dizzy, Carmine, and Colonol Hoffman in his squad infiltrating the locust. Dom will have himself, Cole, Baird, and Tai with him looking for Maria.
-The Raam locust will appear again with signature turrets. (not a boss though)
-The Locust Queen will make an appearence but won't be a boss

Multiplayer:

-I got to play 4 maps. River, Gridlock, Subway, and Security.

Gridlock is pretty much the same physically except there is a ton of vines and trees everywhere and there is shallow water at each of the spawns. (like canals).

River is alot like Canals but bigger. What I like is there are two sweet sniping spots and little cabins like in that really dark map in Gears 1 (forgot what's it called it was DLC).

Security is ok for games like Warzone but awesome for Meatflag. The switches like in Garden return except these are giant ass lasers. The overall feel is like War Machine / Clocktower love child. Yeah, there's also a turret.

Now Subway, holy ****. Complete turn around from Gears 1, this is now my favorite map. You know those non moving trains in the first one? Well now they move! They actually stop as well! They'll go around like 3 times, (and when they move it shakes the whole map) at which you can get pwned by them. They'll then stop for like 30 seconds, in which you can get on and fight with someone else. If your still on while the train goes again, your controller will rumble and you'll be in complete darkness (you can still fight the guy). You can then get off when it comes back. Pure Awesome.

Weapons:

-Lancer is improved, my new fav weapon.
-Hammerburst is like Halo's Battle Rifle. I like it alot just it doesn't have a chainsaw... bummer. I can totally see the experienced players using this one over the lancer though.
-Boomshot's active reload shoots out both rockets at once (if you have 2 ammo) but other than that it's the same one we love from Gears 1.
-Torque Bow's active reload gives you a shorter charge time, which is sweet.
-Snub Pistol is weaker
-The Revolver is actually useful now, if you don't have an active it sucks, but with one it shoots double the speed and can down a guy fast.
-The poisen grenade is the same fog of death used in Garden.
-Shotgun is unchanged
-Smoke's make a noise and set a guy back (like if a guy is near a nade in Gears 1) and it's really funny when you tag someone!
-Sniper is unchanged.
-Flamethrower is pretty awesome. The fire in it is amazing! it's a pretty short ranged weapon and you are slightly slower if it's equipped but it's good for clearing out a tight area. You can down a guy with one melee also.
-The Hammer of Dawn is bigger but other than that it's not changed at all.
-Gorgon Pistol. You guys have seen it =P
-The guys at Epic were teasing that another weapon was in the works that I didn't play.

There is more info that I guess is known already. I also deleted one item from campaign details which someone might consider spoiler.

Tomcat

MirageDwarf said:
I've never heard of this site so I have absolutely no idea how reliable this is.

http://neocrisis.com/content/view/1596/41/

There is more info that I guess is known already. I also deleted one item from campaign details which someone might consider spoiler.

The info seems legit

If they are true i dont like this

-Boomshot's active reload shoots out both rockets at once (if you have 2 ammo) but other than that it's the same one we love from Gears 1.

It seems like a penalty not a bonus when you active reload it

Tomcat

With the boomshot every shot must count because you have only 2 rounds. So i dont think anyone would want to fire 2 rockets to get one target. The good players at least because 1 rocket is enough to get someone. I know this senario to have more than 2 rockets will be rare but i would have prefered to stay as it is now

Gbeav

Banned
Shoe is MS Jr. If anyone thinks he is not Luke Smith part two you are looking through rose colored glasses.

Wait ......so Carmine makes it back or is it someone else who happens to be named Carmine. If it's the Carmine from the first game, Day 1 purchase.

Tomcat said:
With the boomshot every shot must count because you have only 2 rounds. So i dont think anyone would want to fire 2 rockets to get one target. The good players at least because 1 rocket is enough to get someone. I know this senario to have more than 2 rockets will be rare but i would have prefered to stay as it is now
It's such a strong offensive weapon, in fact its pretty good all around so now at least you can risk an extra shot for more splash and damage.

An active reload in Gears 1 makes the rocket shoot out little clusters, this is imo the same thing just using more ammo.

Renji Zabimaru said:
Wait ......so Carmine makes it back or is it someone else who happens to be named Carmine. If it's the Carmine from the first game, Day 1 purchase.
Could just be an unnamed guy in armour, unless a name is given in single player it should always be Carmine :p

Dark FaZe said:
Downloading now.

Also if Shoe was playing over the internet I'm not to sure if it'd pick up any lag. Almost anytime I play with friends I get just about no lag. I'm sure the proximity between Shoe and the people he was playing was such that there wasn't any significant advantage. And I'm sure those guys have great connections anyway.

In my experience its when you play with randoms in ranked/pubs that you really start to see how a games netcode is.

Agreed~They HAVE to be working 24/7 to fix the major netcode issues from the first game.

In the podcast Shoe mentions this but Epic didn't tell them much at the time...

beerbelly

Banned
So I'm guessing there will be 8 different playable characters in 4-player co-op. I hope we'll be given the option to keep using the 4 we choose from beginning to end, as opposed to controlling different characters due to the storyline.

Kydd BlaZe

beerbelly said:
So I'm guessing there will be 8 different playable characters in 4-player co-op. I hope we'll be given the option to keep using the 4 we choose from beginning to end, as opposed to controlling different characters due to the storyline.
I was thinking the same thing. I could be a bit jarring to keep switching between characters and campaigns like that. Either way, I can't wait to see how this turns out, though.

border

SweetTea023 said:
More multiplayer coverage

*snore*

Also, what happened with the EGM cover story? They promised this world-exclusive blowout on the singleplayer campaign, but then give us 13 pages of multiplayer information. Game Informer already had a multiplayer cover story.

Kydd BlaZe

border said:
More multiplayer coverage

*snore*

Also, what happened with the EGM cover story? They promised this world-exclusive blowout on the singleplayer campaign, but then give us 13 pages of multiplayer information. Game Informer already had a multiplayer cover story.
Actually, EGM promised a multiplayer cover story. We got exactly what they said they'd give us.

Top Bottom