• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shogun or Fallout?

Which TV series is superior?

• Shogun

• Fallout

• Undecided/Too close to call

Results are only viewable after voting.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
115506_2_large.jpg

VS

MV5BZjQ0YjAyNWQtMjRjMC00NzMxLTlkNjEtYWQzNmQwNGRlMGJkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMDM2NDM2MQ@@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

(You've reached the end of the thread. Be sure to participate in the poll)

Last edited:

Tumle

Only seen one episode of fallout and 3 of shogun.. but shogun got most of my attention so far

AJUMP23

I have watched 2 episodes of Shogun. I watched all of fallout.

Fallout is fun, Shogun in interesting.

Thaedolus

I haven’t seen Shogun but the first two episodes of Fallout have been surprisingly good. I saw that one out of context clip of Fallout and was ready to write it off, but after reviews were super positive I gave it a shot and I’m pretty happy I did.

Laptop1991

Only seen Fallout so far, although i did see the original Shogun way back, which was really good at the time, so i can't really choose yet, i like the Fallout show, but there are some things i don't like about it as well, Fallout TV show is 50/50 for me.

Mozart36

Neo Member
Definitely Shogun for me. It hooked me from the start and I loved every minute. Cannot wait for the final episode.
Fallout is good, don't get me wrong, but it took me a while until I felt somewhat invested in.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I haven’t seen Shogun but the first two episodes of Fallout have been surprisingly good. I saw that one out of context clip of Fallout and was ready to write it off, but after reviews were super positive I gave it a shot and I’m pretty happy I did.

I think I watch the first 1.75 episodes of Fallout and thought "It's decent but I probably won't finish".

It just keeps getting better and better after that. Can't think of the last TV show I enjoyed as much...probably Game of Thrones way back when.

Fallout has more mass appeal so chose that, but loving Shogan too. With these and Three Body Problem we are having a fantastic year of television so far.

Robb

Gold Member
I’d definitely go with Fallout personally, seems like good sci-fi with a decent sprinkle of humor. Right up my alley.

I have very little interest in samurai stuff, at least in movies/television. It never manage to hold my attention.

Last edited:

Oberstein

The two have nothing in common, but clearly Shogun is several notches above.

Lucy's character development, for example, is basic. And I say that loving the character and actress Ella Purnell. By comparison, Mariko has several layers of reading and is a fascinating historical figure. This doesn't mean that Fallout is bad, on the contrary, it's fun and doesn't get bogged down in interesting lore, but it's clearly not in the same league.

Fbh

I'm watching both and I'm 5 or 6 chapters into them.
I like both, but so far I'd say I'm slightly more inclined towards Fallout.

Shogun is better in many ways but the main character just brings it down for me. I don't know if it's the actor or how he is directed but I can't take him seriously, it's like someone put a cartoon character in an otherwise serious political intrigue drama. The way he acts and delivers his lines would ironically fit in better in Fallout.
Not a fan of the visual presentation either, film grain turned up to 11 and the upper and lower parts of the image are out of focus at all times.

Last edited:

Gp1

Shogun by far.

Fallout is good too but I still hoped they would follow a more authorial/sarcastic route and abandon the Bethesda style of humor/art (aka. Fallout 3 and 4).

Thaedolus

I think I watch the first 1.75 episodes of Fallout and thought "It's decent but I probably won't finish".

It just keeps getting better and better after that. Can't think of the last TV show I enjoyed as much...probably Game of Thrones way back when.
Yeah it’s definitely not perfect in some ways, I feel like the black character being in over is head and being used for comic relief reminds me of Finn from Star Wars, but the ultraviolence and lots of other stuff were pretty cool. Some peeps whose opinions I respect have been giving it glowing reviews so I’m down for continuing.

One thing though: I dunno why but the bass it hitting really hard in the sound mix. I’ve tried to watch when the kids are asleep and even at low volumes it’s like Jesus this is rattling the house. I don’t want to turn down my sub because it’s dialed in well for pretty much everything else, but anyone else having their pictures rattling off the walls if you have it high enough to hear the dialog?

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Shogun is a perfect steak with a fine wine.
Fallout is beer and hot dogs and pizza.
Technically shogun is far superior, but both can be great.

Just wanted to add, Anna Sawai's performance in Shogun could be the best acting I have seen in any movie or tv show, period.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots

Agreed I wasn't sure at first either but it does get so much better with both the story and as you start to "get" the feel of the way they are presenting things sort of tongue in cheek.

lifa-cobex

Fallout is an entertaining watch.

But bitch plz......

It's not even close.
The quality of Shogun to Fallout is heaven and earth.
Shogun is just pure quality.

StueyDuck

Oh shogun by a very large margin.

This isn't even comparable.

I enjoyed fallout, ranked it an 8 out of 10 In entertainment value but shogun is an actual show with superb (mostly) acting and a really sharp script.

It keeps its tone serious and has everything, romance, political intrigue, action, drama etc.

Again fallout was an entertaining show but shogun is not one to compare it too, considering shogun is some of the best TV we've had in a while.

Now comparing it to 3 body problem and I think fallout would top it fairly easily, thats just my opinion though

Last edited:

Kar

Shogun is great.
I haven't looked into Fallout yet because I just assumed it's woke garbage, judging from some of the posts here I guess I was wrong (?)

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Shogun is great.
I haven't looked into Fallout yet because I just assumed it's woke garbage, judging from some of the posts here I guess I was wrong (?)
There's no question the production of Fallout met all their DEI, ESG goals but they do enough to surround it to make it palatable imo.

Shogun for sure, it’s up there with one of the greats. Fallout is a great show and I appreciate that it’s solid as a fan of the games. But idk if the show is really that good if you aren’t a fan of the games. It’s an above average show like Ozark.

Cyberpunkd

There's no question the production of Fallout met all their DEI, ESG goals but they do enough to surround it to make it palatable imo.
What woke goals?

Black people exist?

Interracial romance?

One character refers to themselves as they/them once, and I missed even that?

We watched the same show? I’m really curious what the DEI goals here are.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
What woke goals?

Black people exist?

Interracial romance?

What are the DEI / ESG goals for all TV & film? Let's start there and then we'll see how many checkboxes Fallout hits.

Rocinante618

Neo Member
TV shows have become so long and boring that I just watch those “series recap” videos on YouTube 🤣🤣 10 hour TV show in 45-60 mins.

Last edited:
  • LOL
Reactions: Gp1

DKehoe

What woke goals?

Black people exist?

Interracial romance?

I saw a video where someone complained that Fallout was promoting interracial marriage lol. It feels like those kind of complaints are getting more and more desperate.

Pallas

Shogun, both shows are good and they each satisfy different cravings.

But in all honesty, can we not get a high production show from Amazon, Netflix or whoever to work on Yakuza(Ryū ga Gotoku)

StueyDuck

What are the DEI / ESG goals for all TV & film? Let's start there and then we'll see how many checkboxes Fallout hits.
I am captain anti woke...

And I can tell you fallout isn't woke.

There's one character and honestly it's so dumb they pandered because thems they are literally in for less than 2 episodes and like half a show overall in screentime at most.

The 99.95% of the rest of the show is not woke at all.

It's a decent enough watch...

Again not nearly as good as shogun but that's not the point

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
What woke goals?

Black people exist?

Interracial romance?

Comedy Central Reaction GIF

It's getting increasingly stupid with every passing day.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Comedy Central Reaction GIF

It's getting increasingly stupid with every passing day.
You will have to tolerate the stupidity until DEI ESG funding goes away. Or until they reveal specifically what's required to recieve the incentives. I wonder why that's not easy to find...

But in all honesty, can we not get a high production show from Amazon, Netflix or whoever to work on Yakuza(Ryū ga Gotoku)
The closest you will get to this is Tokyo Vice. Seriously, check it out.

Edit:
You will have to tolerate the stupidity until DEI ESG funding goes away. Or until they reveal specifically what's required to recieve the incentives. I wonder why that's not easy to find...
Wait, what was the point of creating this thread if this was secretly your intent? First the one in gaming, now this one. Are these bait and switch DEI topic threads going to be the norm from people going forward?

Last edited:
Top Bottom