• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shoot the Core! - Gaf Shoot ‘em Up (aka Shooter/SHMUP) Reference Thread

hipgnosis

iconoclast said:
Oh, and speaking of Ibara, I was just playing some of that the other day. I hate shooters that have poor bullet visibility. I practically have to point-blank my TV just to see properly. :|
Yeah this is why Battle Garegga is unplayable for me.

EDIT: Beaten. :lol

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
iconoclast said:
So uh, kinda OT, but I figure this is as good a place to ask as any. I'm looking into buying a monitor that has zero input lag for shooters and fighting games, and right now it seems like the Asus VH236H (aka the EVO monitor) and the Panasonic Viera X1 series are the best options. Does anyone here have either of them? I'm mainly curious if you can TATE them without killing the image due to poor viewing angles or whatever.

Oh, and speaking of Ibara, I was just playing some of that the other day. I hate shooters that have poor bullet visibility. I practically have to point-blank my TV just to see properly. :|

I have that monitor, and I've got a Panny plasma (though I think it's a slightly older model... whatever was around in early 2009.) Neither has given me any lag problems in either shmups or Beatmania... meaning that yeah, you should go for it. I don't have the plasma tate'd, but I do keep my V236H flipped and it's fantastic. Image quality is perfectly fine even when flipped.

And yeah, dementia's right. NEVER play Battle Garegga if that bothers you. But damn do I love that game.

I mean, I don't literally hate shooters with poor bullet visibility, but they really drag the game down for me. I just hate dying to something I didn't see... which is also my biggest issue with Raiden Fighters Jet, because otherwise it's one of my favorites. I do like Battle Garegga and Ibara though. Yagawa makes good stuff. And thankfully, it doesn't seem like bullet visibility is an issue in Muchi Pork and Pink Sweets (based on the videos I've seen anyway).

But anyway, glad to hear that the Asus is good. I have a CRT, but I'd prefer to use my 360 and PS3 with an HD display since it's too much trouble moving them back and forth just for certain games.

iconoclast said:
I mean, I don't literally hate shooters with poor bullet visibility, but they really drag the game down for me. I just hate dying to something I didn't see... which is also my biggest issue with Raiden Fighters Jet, because otherwise it's one of my favorites. I do like Battle Garegga and Ibara though. Yagawa makes good stuff. And thankfully, it doesn't seem like bullet visibility is an issue in Muchi Pork and Pink Sweets (based on the videos I've seen anyway).

But anyway, glad to hear that the Asus is good. I have a CRT, but I'd prefer to use my 360 and PS3 with an HD display since it's too much trouble moving them back and forth just for certain games.
That makes sense. Someday, I might get a second 360 system, but for the moment I'm fine with my 360 permanently rigged up to my CRT VGA monitor and my PS3 permanently on my HDTV. Though, as much as I hate to admit it, the hassle of swapping the inputs is the only thing keeping me from getting Bayonetta 360 so I can enjoying it on my HDTV.

CAVE343

_dementia said:
That makes sense. Someday, I might get a second 360 system, but for the moment I'm fine with my 360 permanently rigged up to my CRT VGA monitor and my PS3 permanently on my HDTV. Though, as much as I hate to admit it, the hassle of swapping the inputs is the only thing keeping me from getting Bayonetta 360 so I can enjoying it on my HDTV.
You probably already know it, but Bayonetta's worth it :)

Tain

Love my VH236H. Image quality is alllmost perfect when rotated; I do get very slight discoloration on the right (top) of the screen if I'm sitting to the left of it. Not an issue with my stand, though.

CAVE343

Tain said:
Love my VH236H. Image quality is alllmost perfect when rotated; I do get very slight discoloration on the right (top) of the screen if I'm sitting to the left of it. Not an issue with my stand, though.

Is it okay to just rotate a screen like that? I mean it isn't really build to hang sideways, or doesn't it matter?

Yes Boss!

bad-joey said:
Is it okay to just rotate a screen like that? I mean it isn't really build to hang sideways, or doesn't it matter?
Yeah man, that shit is perfectly fine...especially for flat-panels. Do it! Games look freaking amazing, especially with all the scaling options. CRTs, now are a little different as the colors will get all jacked from the magnetic field...but it us only temporary and a good sit with the CRT off for thirty minutes in the new position will clear it up...plus a lot of them auto de-guass upon power-up.

Do it...then post a pick if the new setup!

robot

Been looking at getting a few NES reproduction carts lately and noticed 2 shmups that looked awesome - Recca & Over Horizon. Both were never released in the U.S. Recca looks insanely hard, and have seen it mentioned before on gaf, but never heard of Over Horizon. Anyone play either one? Are they worth $30 apiece?

CAVE343

Yes Boss! said:
Yeah man, that shit is perfectly fine...especially for flat-panels. Do it! Games look freaking amazing, especially with all the scaling options. CRTs, now are a little different as the colors will get all jacked from the magnetic field...but it us only temporary and a good sit with the CRT off for thirty minutes in the new position will clear it up...plus a lot of them auto de-guass upon power-up.

Do it...then post a pick if the new setup!

I already have a 22" monitor in tate mode, will post pics of my set up soon :) But thanks for the tip

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Any cheap options for a good d-pad or stick for the 360? After getting my 360 back after not having it for 2 months I notice the inputs aren't quite responsive with my Official 360 pad so I'm looking for something to improve the accuracy.

Risette

A Good Citizen
InfiniteNine said:
Any cheap options for a good d-pad or stick for the 360? After getting my 360 back after not having it for 2 months I notice the inputs aren't quite responsive with my Official 360 pad so I'm looking for something to improve the accuracy.
I'm getting a Hori EX2 Pad (not stick) today, I'll tell you how it is for shooters after I play with it a bit. Only costs $35 on Amazon.

All I can say right now is avoid the SF4 fightpads, even if you get one that is good out of the box (like I did) it will wear down and become an inaccurate piece of crap. Even the 360 dpad is better than my fightpad now.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Alright, looking forward to it! I just hate dying in Espgaluda II so much because the input didn't go in accurately. :lol I know about those SFIV pads since I tried some out in SFIV on someone elses 360 and they felt cheap as all hell. Not trusting something I feel I can break by gripping slightly harder.

Risette

A Good Citizen
So a few minutes after I posted that the UPS guy came!

Played some Futari with it. The pad is nice. Accurate cross dpad, weighty, 6 button. Not sure what else I can say about a pad, but it's good. :lol

Chuckie

Yay.... just beaten Hitogata Happa!!!
on easy :(

Any other mode will be undoable for me I am afraid

Yes Boss!

Tence said:
Yay.... just beaten Hitogata Happa!!!
on easy :(

Any other mode will be undoable for me I am afraid
I'm afraid that game is well beyond my league. I've got absolutely no idea what to do in it. Tried a few times but I just die on the first boss. Yeah, I'll never get a single trophy in it.

Any suggestions on how this game works?

Chuckie

Yes Boss! said:
I'm afraid that game is well beyond my league. I've got absolutely no idea what to do in it. Tried a few times but I just die on the first boss. Yeah, I'll never get a single trophy in it.

Any suggestions on how this game works?

Lol, I got stuck at that first boss too for a pretty long time. Then I found out it had to be done with kamikaze.

In the top of the screen you see two bars, one for mana (ur special move) one called flow.
If the flow bar is full you can blow up the doll in a target.

so first boss goes a bit like this:

Stay at the bottom of the screen and keep shooting those little bastards and the arms. Once your flow is full, kamikaze into his left arm (right for you) It will come of. Keep shooting those little bastards again and if the boss uses a bullet spray just hang to the left.
Once your flow is full, kamikaze his other arm.

After that just keep shooting his head, and once your flow is full use your mana to slow time and ram into his head. If you do this twice he's a goner.

The 2 missions after that are actually easier and you get some more powerfull dolls. I recommend Assam for the levels and Clover for the bosses.

Yes Boss!

Thanks for the explanation. I'm going to give it a go!

EDIT: Beat the boss. Now I've got the flow of the game. Did not realize dolls were expendable and they give you unlimited for the first stage and a shop thereafter!

gunstarhero

Import Shienryu is out on PSN today - thanks to monkeypaw - only 5.99.

Never played it before - anyone know if it's worth picking up?

.la1n

gunstarhero said:
Import Shienryu is out on PSN today - thanks to monkeypaw - only 5.99.

Never played it before - anyone know if it's worth picking up?

I have it on the Saturn and enjoy to play it every now and then. I don't know what the differences are between it and the PSX version.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
So I've been playing this lately:
CpCP1.jpg

I picked it up about a year ago and never bothered to give it a try until recently (picked up 5 around that time and got hooked on that), but holy shit is this game ever awesome. I think it's hands down the best Gradius I've ever played, even better than 5. Everything about it is just a huge gushing love letter to Gradius fans.
I especially love the 2nd stage with the ruined husks of old bosses, and the 7th level which is the 1st level of the original Gradius
being sucked into a black hole as you're flying through it
. So awesome.
It's got more ships than any other Gradius and a cool powerup edit mode that gives it a lot of replay. It really feels like Gaiden is to Gradius what SotN is to Castlevania the way it blends the old 2D sprites with 3D backdrops and effects.
Gradius 5 is a fantastic game, but ultimately it doesn't feel that much like Gradius. I really wish I'd have given this a shot sooner. It has all of the classic themes, stages, and general wackyness that the series is known for and feels really well balanced and never frustrating.

Kind of a weird rant. I haven't gotten past stage 7 on normal yet, but it's easily become one of my favorite shooters ever.

Yes Boss!

Any J-GAFers picking up Radirgy this week? Kinda curious for early impressions.

NCS is shIpping out tomorrow for importers, btw.

JEKKI said:
some cool dood in the pickup thread recommended this old nintendo game to me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iZvlsiWO9Y

the opening stage is a freakin shmup where you're playing as a car!!

like driving on the road shooting other cars!!

this is the greatest idea ever!! why hasnt anybody done this again?!?!?!

Try Super Spy Hunter (NES) and Highway Hunter ('90s PC shareware game for DOS). Those games are both vertical-scrolling shmups where you drive a car along a road. Both are pretty fun games.

The original Spy Hunter is sort of like that, but Super Spy Hunter much more so. I don't think I'd really call Spy Hunter a shmup, but Super Spy Hunter... yeah, I think it really is.

Still though, yes, that Vice: Project Doom stage probably was inspired by Spy Hunter.

Oh, there's also Action Fighter for the Sega Master System. It's also Spy Hunter inspired, but made more shmuplike, like the other above titles.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Interesting. Everyone rags on PSX G-Darius for the slowdown, but running it in epsxe is perfectly smooth.

Nu route is killing me. This game is brutal.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
To Far Away Times said:
G-Darius is incredible.

It is, and it's so much better than the others I've played. I hear Gaiden getting a lot of praise but I found it way too simplistic and frustrating. The bosses really are as incredible as everyone says. Alpha/beta beam duels are awesome!

Also I realized G-Darius is an anagram of Gradius. Mind blown.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Is anyone getting Crescent Pale Mist (coming out tomorrow for PSN)? It's a doujin shmup-ish platformer or something.

Jonnyram said:
Still looks way better than the full price Milestone shit that comes out. I'm vaguely excited about it at the moment.
It's crazy how Radilgy has been ported to...what, 5 consoles now? Is that a modern record? Who is buying that game?

luka

Loves Robotech S1
ULTROS! said:
Is anyone getting Crescent Pale Mist (coming out tomorrow for PSN)? It's a doujin shmup-ish platformer or something.

I didn't even know about thisYES I AM!

Yes Boss!

ULTROS! said:
I'm picking it up. Been a bit of time since I got a PSN game (lots of XBLA love recently) so I'm pretty excited for it.

Don't have too many PSN friends outside of my twin brother and GAFers Marwan and Baron so if anybody wants to add me it is: Paquin

Been doing Challenges on Söldner X2 DLC lately, so much frustrated fun :D

And i love the music, they should release the X2 soundtrack too

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Argh, I got no net and I can't download Crescent Pale Mist (just leeching net right now).

Yes Boss! said:
I'm picking it up. Been a bit of time since I got a PSN game (lots of XBLA love recently) so I'm pretty excited for it.

Don't have too many PSN friends outside of my twin brother and GAFers Marwan and Baron so if anybody wants to add me it is: Paquin

I'd be glad to add you but like what I said, I've got no net. :(

Top Bottom