• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shoot the Core! - Gaf Shoot ‘em Up (aka Shooter/SHMUP) Reference Thread

shaowebb

Several patch updates for our shmups tonight:

DariusBurst Chronicle Saviours V1.00 rev 4614
  • The refresh rate has been locked to 60 fps to prevent excessive speed on monitors with refresh rates higher than 60Hz.
  • Corrected the behaviour of the "Wave" weapon in CS mode. The weapon was incorrectly piercing through boss enemies instead of colliding with them as intended.
    (Only Origin and Gaiden were working correctly before)
  • Corrected an error where the burst gauge would not fill up when attacking boss enemies in CS mode.
  • Corrected the text in some scenes where it extended beyond the dialogue window.

Mushihimesama V1.1.6.1
  • Optimizations to reduce or eliminate microstuttering/frame hitching.
  • Corrected a visual error that would cause the true last boss health bar to display incorrectly in V1.5 Ultra mode.
    [*]Added support for fullscreen tate (vertical aspect ratios) on 3:4 and 9:16 monitors. You can adjust this using the "Aspect Ratio" setting. Support for 16:10, 5:4, 4:5, and 10:16 aspect ratios is planned for a future update.
  • Added a dead zone setting for direct input controllers (joystick adjustment).
  • Modified the Replay menu to show local replays and replays downloaded from the leaderboards in different colors.

DeltaZeal V1.03
  • You can now record replay videos longer than 30 minutes (up to 60 minutes).
  • Added a Fast Forward feature to replay playback. Use the "X" button to toggle fast forward on and off.
  • Corrected an error where the keyboard would start both P1 and P2 at the same time.
  • Optimized text display so menus and leaderboards should be more responsive.
  • Corrected an error that could occur when accessing an empty leaderboard.
Oh lord yes all this support is amazing. I bolded my favorited off that amazing list.

Momentary

Banned
Picked up Varstray. Experiencing some issues with it going in fullscreen mode and giving itself a jittery 30fps effect even though the FPS counter still says 60. Playing it in windowed mode works. The game is really barebones in terms of settings. The gameplay is fun and the mechanics aren't that hard to get used to. Certain sprites seem pretty underwhelming. Like bosses are just static images moving around the screen. I'm the worlds worst shoot'em up player. I'm like that guy you pick last for sports when it comes to these games. I was able to beat it on my first playthrough without a continue. The bosses all the way up to last boss take about 5-8 seconds to beat once hit detection kicks in.

*The framerate issue only occurs on my ROG SWIFT monitor. Playing it on my laptop's monitor at fullscreen gives me no issues.

**After spending about an hour on this game I just can't recommend it on my end. The game play is just okay and the technical issues (for me it has horrendous frame pacing issues when running on my non laptop monitor) and lack of settings hurt it even more. I had to get a refund. I'll pick this up at %50 off. I really wanted to like this game, but it just so mediocre for me. I will pick this back up though. I want to help support the company so that they can maybe bring over their more polished title.

Mr.McFist

Picked up Varstray. Experiencing some issues with it going in fullscreen mode and giving itself a jittery 30fps effect even though the FPS counter still says 60. Playing it in windowed mode works. The game is really barebones in terms of settings. The gameplay is fun and the mechanics aren't that hard to get used to. Certain sprites seem pretty underwhelming. Like bosses are just static images moving around the screen. I'm the worlds worst shoot'em up player. I'm like that guy you pick last for sports when it comes to these games. I was able to beat it on my first playthrough without a continue. The bosses all the way up to last boss take about 5-8 seconds to beat once hit detection kicks in.

*The framerate issue only occurs on my ROG SWIFT monitor. Playing it on my laptop's monitor at fullscreen gives me no issues.

**After spending about an hour on this game I just can't recommend it on my end. The game play is just okay and the technical issues (for me it has horrendous frame pacing issues when running on my non laptop monitor) and lack of settings hurt it even more. I had to get a refund. I'll pick this up at %50 off. I really wanted to like this game, but it just so mediocre for me. I will pick this back up though. I want to help support the company so that they can maybe bring over their more polished title.

Disappointing to hear - I was looking to pick this up but it just sounds like I would be wasting my money right now.
Are there any other difficulty settings to the one you cleared on your first credit? It sounds ridiculously easy otherwise.

Momentary

Banned
Disappointing to hear - I was looking to pick this up but it just sounds like I would be wasting my money right now.
Are there any other difficulty settings to the one you cleared on your first credit? It sounds ridiculously easy otherwise.

There's like an easy, normal, and hard. I didn't check out the other two. I can try and check it out real quick.

Don't make a judgement call just from me man. You can still buy it and check it out. I just didn't find it to be as good as I wanted it to be. It's not a horrible game.

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
My two latest acquisitions:

2lwxMQw.jpg

jIGFdrA.jpg

I've been on the lookout for Dragon Blaze for awhile now and after playing through Deathsmiles a couple of months ago, I got serious about trying to track it down. I love the fantasy based shooters a little more than the Sci-Fi/Space shooters, so I cannot wait to dive into this one.

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
Hey, that looks pretty cool. I wonder how much...

*looks at eBay*

Sigh...

Haha, the ebay prices are grossly inflated, so don't get too depressed. I searched around forums, Amazon, ebay, Newegg and a couple of other sites daily for the last couple of months to find these 2. The PAL version is far cheaper than Psikyo Shooting Collection... but, you just have to wait for one to come up for sale (seems to be a little harder to find).

Hi all! I just wanted to take a moment to wish you a very happy holiday from all the staff at Degica. It's been a pretty crazy year for us, but it's finally winding down.

During this year, we've been able to bring CAVE, Qute, Triangle Service and Darius Burst AC to PC, among many other projects. It's been a huge year for PC shmups, and we hope to continue bringing fun arcade games from Japan to the global PC audience in the future.

As you enjoy your holiday break, don't forget to stop by the @degigames channel some time! We're announcing CAVE's next PC game on the 26th, and I'll try to arrange some content from our Transition 2015 event as well.

If you're looking for last minute gifts, all our most popular games are discounted in the Steam Winter Sale, with Mushihimesama being discounted to 50% off for the first time.

http://store.steampowered.com/search/?publisher=Degica
http://promo.degigames.com/winter-sale/

6Uwl0M5.png

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Hi all! I just wanted to take a moment to wish you a very happy holiday from all the staff at Degica. It's been a pretty crazy year for us, but it's finally winding down.

From the bottom of my heart, thank YOU and all the amazing people who made 2015 a kickass year for shmups. Looking forward to hopefully an even better 2016. :D

AC!D

Yeah great work from the team at Degica, can't wait for the announcement of the next game!

Anyone reading this thread that still hasn't bought Crimson Clover, what are you waiting for???

Lernaean

Banned

Have a wonderful holiday yourself, and thank you very much for giving us a killer year with all these excellent releases.
I want to thank you guys especially for Dariusburst CS, as i have been very much emotionally invested with this paricular game and the dream about it coming to home platforms at some point. It seems like miracles do happen.
Last but not least, thanks to everyone involved in Transition. Moves like this make me optimistic about the future of the genre. Also I can't wait to see which game is the new Cave port. I hope SDOJ will someday be ported to PC too.
Excellent 2015. I hope for an even better 2016!

On another note, Ichimenbanchou has been the surprise lately for me. I've never had remotely that much fun with a mobile game before. I will still whine about how much better it would be with proper controls, but it still is a very enjoyable game.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
*sigh* It's Deathsmiles.

I mean, cool, but I can't get excited about it coming to Steam when it's literally the easiest Cave shmup to get ahold of. Was really hoping for something that hadn't already gotten an international release.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
http://i.imgur.com/wZgz680.jpg[img][/QUOTE]

What? I'm someone for whom importing is usually prohibitively expensive. Is it really too much to have been hoping for something like Ketsui or SDOJ, which haven't been released in the US? I mean you can literally walk into Gamestop and get a copy of Deathsmiles for $3. I'm happy for any Cave games to show up on Steam, of course, but I can't get excited about Deathsmiles and definitely won't be buying it because I already own it.

shaowebb

Thank you guys for an AMAZING year for shmups. You're one of my true heroes in this industry. Are you able to comment on whether or not Deathsmiles PC will include the mobile modes that were created after the 360 game? Really hoping to find out if their are plans to add Princess Tiara (god for some reason I always call her Tutu) and her story plus the cool customization stuff and marketplace to this edition.

BOTEC

What? I'm someone for whom importing is usually prohibitively expensive. Is it really too much to have been hoping for something like Ketsui or SDOJ, which haven't been released in the US? I mean you can literally walk into Gamestop and get a copy of Deathsmiles for $3. I'm happy for any Cave games to show up on Steam, of course, but I can't get excited about Deathsmiles and definitely won't be buying it because I already own it.

I'm with you bro. I meant "grumpy @ least impressive cave port." Although I will say Degica surprised me by making Deathsmiles the SECOND PC port instead of the first. Points for effort?

mdsfx

*sigh* It's Deathsmiles.

I mean, cool, but I can't get excited about it coming to Steam when it's literally the easiest Cave shmup to get ahold of. Was really hoping for something that hadn't already gotten an international release.

I'm with you on this. I might buy it just to support Degica (depending on price), but it's so readily available at bargain bin prices that I was also hoping for something else. I wasn't even able to sell my 360 copy on eBay without including it in a bundle of other games :/

Japan getting ahead of me in announcements =D. Yes, the next port is the gothic horror shooter Deathsmiles for PC!

It includes MBL and we expect it Spring 2016.

I understand that it's already widely available on X360, so we've been discussing a few ideas to make the PC port a little bit more special and unique compared to the previous versions. Please share any ideas/features you'd like to see concerning this.

Teaser site + trailer

OWgBiOO.jpg

Tain

Japan getting ahead of me in announcements =D. Yes, the next port is the gothic horror shooter Deathsmiles for PC!

I understand that it's already widely available on X360, so we've been discussing a few ideas to make the PC port a little bit more special and unique compared to the previous versions. Please share any ideas/features you'd like to see concerning this.

Teaser site + trailer

OWgBiOO.jpg

I'm excited! Very curious about any surprises that may be there but I'll be getting it regardless.

The PC release would definitely be definitive if the iOS content could be ported over. New final boss, crossover weapons, new soundtrack...

PantsuJo

Teaser site + trailer

OWgBiOO.jpg
Ready to buy day one!
Thanks Degica!

TGMIII

Fully mappable keyboard controls, including movement, should be there for sure.

Not something I personally use but there were a fair amount of complaints about movement being forced to the arrow keys in mushi without using external remapping tools.

iOS content would be cool too, but I get the feeling that the plan is to port the 360 version as is?

Lernaean

Banned

Teaser site + trailer

OWgBiOO.jpg

Thanks for everything. I also have played it a lot on 360, and tbh I'd prefer IIX, but I'm surely buying it.
As for making it special? I'd go with this...

The PC release would definitely be definitive if the iOS content could be ported over. New final boss, crossover weapons, new soundtrack...

A definite version with content not available to n the 360 port would surely please those who own it on 360.

Slermy

Teaser site + trailer

OWgBiOO.jpg

YES! Deathsmiles is one of my favorite Cave titles.

Thanks again for all of the hard work you guys have done. Bringing these titles to the PC space helps preserve them for future generations. I definitely dropped quite a bit on Steam on all of the shooters and look forward to spending even more next year.

MrDoctor

Mega Black Label fix pls

Including Dangun Feveron as an unlockable would be pretty special and unique.
Probably asking too much, but we really do need Feveron sooner than later. DoDonPachi is most likely the next game, though; preferably DFK with Ketsupachi.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Playing Deathsmiles now and was reminded of a small change I'd like to see in Cave games. You know how if you restart a stage, it tells you that you won't be able to get achievements/high scores, etc? That's fine and all, but I wish it'd let you restart if it's the first stage. Every now and then I make a mistake on the first stage and having to back all the way out to the main menu is a pain. There'd be no difference between restarting and backing out to the menu as long as you're on the first stage.

Risette

A Good Citizen

Teaser site + trailer

OWgBiOO.jpg
Having the HD mode slowdown align with the arcade version's slowdown in the vanilla game would be nice. Other changes to make it more arcade accurate (in the HD mode you can select level 1 and 2 as much as you want, but in the arcade mode you're only able to select level 1 and 2 twice per game) too. And, as previously stated, an overall better MBL port.

shaowebb

Teaser site + trailer

OWgBiOO.jpg

Mainly we need the Princess Tiara arc from Mobile added along with all its modes and customization features. If those same customizations from the shop could be used on other characters in a mode it would be great.

Other than the mobile version and its unique content being added:

• add the mobile game version's Princess Tiara character, story, modes, and customization options
  • new shot types
  • Deathsmiles 2 scoring mode (if possible. This completely changes ring mechanics and would make it essentially a new game)
  • A lot of Japan only deathsmiles content was released. I think drama cds and little comics or something. If these could be translated so we could read them or whatever it'd be great to fans outside of japan.
  • Unlockable art and concept art (stages are godlike)
  • Add in the additional characters from Deathsmiles 2x if possible (may not be given it'd change story)
  • Shot color alts tied to costume color alts

Just spit balling here. Some are far more feasible than others, but all would go far to distinguish this as the true definitive version. Again, you folks at Degica are our heroes for all you do. The fact you are taking feedback on this title is like a weird fever dream in and of itself to fans. Hopefully we give you some ideas here that can help you yield the numbers you are hoping for without a high demand for creating content that doesn't exist already.

Momentary

Banned
Mainly we need the Princess Tiara arc from Mobile added along with all its modes and customization features. If those same customizations from the shop could be used on other characters in a mode it would be great.

Other than the mobile version and its unique content being added:

• add the mobile game version's Princess Tiara character, story, modes, and customization options
  • new shot types
  • Deathsmiles 2 scoring mode (if possible. This completely changes ring mechanics and would make it essentially a new game)
  • A lot of Japan only deathsmiles content was released. I think drama cds and little comics or something. If these could be translated so we could read them or whatever it'd be great to fans outside of japan.
  • Unlockable art and concept art (stages are godlike)
  • Add in the additional characters from Deathsmiles 2x if possible (may not be given it'd change story)
  • Shot color alts tied to costume color alts

Just spit balling here. Some are far more feasible than others, but all would go far to distinguish this as the true definitive version. Again, you folks at Degica are our heroes for all you do. The fact you are taking feedback on this title is like a weird fever dream in and of itself to fans. Hopefully we give you some ideas here that can help you yield the numbers you are hoping for without a high demand for creating content that doesn't exist already.

I highly concur! Only thing I don't see feasible are the 2x characters.

Tain

wild Cave speculation time:

DoDonPachi Ichimenbanchou seems to be Unity-powered and not based on a port of SDOJ. The advertisements have a Unity ad badge, but more interestingly, the bullet movement seems notably smoother than in all of their other games. This is probably because unlike their other games, the bullets aren't being snapped to a 240p grid under the hood.

This would mean Cave is now somewhat proficient in Unity and now has a Unity-powered STG engine. If we were the highly optimistic type, this could have some implications when it comes to the development of a new game.

Of course, it would be dumb to overlook the costs of all other elements of game design, so let's not make any wild leaps! They already have two more ports lined up after all.

Deathsmiles has a dedicated thread if anyone missed it, since it's new news.

It's been said before, but having a full port of the currently iOS-exclusive campaign would be huge. I would absolutely buy the game for a fourth time for that.

I also like the idea of an arrange version that borrows mechanics from Deathsmiles II.

Is this version going to have the full voice option? Was that present in the US release? (I own the US 360 release but can't actually play it because it's region coded to not work on a Japanese Xbox 360.)

Also was reminded about the absolutely bizarre localization script the US 360 release had by that other thread. Please don't use that.

shaowebb

I've got a hit list of stuff I hope cave ports someday...namely all of there stuff lol.

Topping my list is Progear, Ibara, and EspRaDe.

I've got a hit list of stuff I hope cave ports someday...namely all of there stuff lol.

Ibara would be an interesting choice; only the terrible PS2 port exists, but they could conceivably build a new port using the same engine as the others. It would also be a good way to finally introduce Ibara Kuro to those who aren't so lucky to own the PCB.

Licensing issues make Progear (Capcom) and EspRaDe (Atlus) ports unlikely, if not impossible.

Coda

Yeah those 3 are some of my Cave favorites. After playing Ibara Kuro though I really hope if they ever port Ibara it's Kuro because it feels a lot more like a Cave game. Or at least make it a packaged deal.

shaowebb

Ibara would be an interesting choice; only the terrible PS2 port exists, but they could conceivably build a new port using the same engine as the others. It would also be a good way to finally introduce Ibara Kuro to those who aren't so lucky to own the PCB.

Licensing issues make Progear (Capcom) and EspRaDe (Atlus) ports unlikely, if not impossible.

Thus why those 3 top my list. It'd be like a dream port to see them return from the grave because of how unlikely it'll be to see them ever again. Sorta like when Radiant Silvergun hit XBox Arcade.

Top Bottom