• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shoot the Core! - Gaf Shoot ‘em Up (aka Shooter/SHMUP) Reference Thread

^I like the Japanese VA's, but it would' be nice for a subtitles option so one could know what they're yelling about.

Word. Even something as simple as unlocking the English dialog text, something like the how to play screens, after playing or completing a stage would be nice. Since subtitles would be impossible to read in the moment anyway.

finley83

Banned
The game really changed for me when I started using the locked-option..err option (type 2 if I recall correctly). Combine it with lasers and you're basically an unstoppable force. It takes a bit to get used to it (when you lock your options, you control them and the Vic Viper stops moving while you shoot), but I found it to be an immense help. Took me 7 hours to finally finish the game in total. I love it, one of my favorites.

/edit: Here's someone's playthrough using it, to give you an idea.

Thanks very much! I was sticking to type 3 but that sounds like a good strategy. Will give the video a good look before I play it again.

One thing that's attracted me to this genre in particular is the opportunity to practice and progress without feeling like I'm just wasting time. Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy games with good stories but there's something about the pure gameplay element that's quite attractive in the current gaming climate.

edit: oh wow that looks like a completely different game entirely!

eXistor

Thanks very much! I was sticking to type 3 but that sounds like a good strategy. Will give the video a good look before I play it again.

One thing that's attracted me to this genre in particular is the opportunity to practice and progress without feeling like I'm just wasting time. Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy games with good stories but there's something about the pure gameplay element that's quite attractive in the current gaming climate.

edit: oh wow that looks like a completely different game entirely!

Yeah I never really played shoot 'em ups as a kid; never got far and just gave up, but I've kinda rediscovered the genre in the last years and I've been adding a lot of 'em to my collection. It's exactly as you say: even though you may not get very far at first and it may seem like repetition, it's all really just adding to your experience and essentially you're consistently getting better and better. If you're not the type to just give up on games, most shoot 'em ups are very doable, you just have to accept that that's all part of the design.

Anyway. good luck on Gradius V, you can do it!

@MUWANdo

Banned
Might double dip for th English menus.

I wonder if this means all future ShotTrigger games will be coming over.

Dangun Feveron is already confirmed and we don't have dates for the others so we may well get them day-and-date with Japan... but I suppose it could also hinge on the sales of Garegga and Feveron.

j^aws

Anyone know if this version of Battle Garegga has a vertical TATE display option? Or should I still keep my Saturn version for this?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Aka to Blue is fantastic. I'm still only on level 2, but it's no doubt a proper Cave shmup, in and out. It is also automatically the best shmup available on iOS11 (as all other Cave shmups are 32bit games).

+ Bullet patterns are very much balanced for touch screen controls, which, if you disable auto bombs, makes the game far more difficult than DodonpachiR or Espgaluda 2 on iOS for example. Challenge is very good here, again if you keep auto bombs disabled - with that on (and it's On by default), you can sustain many more hits, making the game much easier.
+ Really cool bullet patterns and good to great visuals. Framerate is butter smooth 60FPS for the most part, even on my aging iPhone 6. There can be some stutters as the new visual elements are introduced, but then when you play again, it's all very smooth. Bullets, coins and explosions look awesome.
+ Great music, and good voice acting even though I have no idea what they're saying, sounds like a solid banter between people who are engaged in a cartoony fight.
+ Respectable character designs that don't reek of otaku body pillow desperation, like the later Cave shmups somewhat devolved into. You know how in some of the games they had just a glimpse of the boss-robot being kind of naked just before the explosion - nothing like that here, as far as I can see.
+ I feel like the two characters/fighters are well balanced, each with an advantage over the other. Aka has wider spread shot with which it takes longer to destroy bigger enemies, but with him, the bomb always flies forward, making it much easier to use. Blue has a concentrated forward fire, making it easier to destroy bigger ships, but the bomb has to be aimed in the direction you want it to go to, making it much more difficult to use successfully in the heat of the battle.

- Visuals not quite on the level of Cave's best, in terms of backgrounds especially. They lack that intricate detail, but still the overall visual impression is very strong.
- Why is there no translation to what the characters are saying - at least some kind of on-screen text or something?
- For a game called Aka TO Blue, I was convinced it would let me switch between the fighters anytime I chose during the game. This doesn't seem to be the case, and is a big missed opportunity IMO. If there was one thing I wish I could request, it's to add a third mode to the game where you could switch between the two (with its own separate highscore table).

I'm stuck on the final level of AtB - I really, really like it. One huge detractor though - there's no start-to-finish arcade mode. Even if you begin at stage 1 and go through to the end, your score and lives reset between each level. Completely kills the thrill of a 1CC.

I'd really like difficulty options as well. And a few more ships. Still, great game.

JP

Dammit, where's my localised Battle Garegga, PlayStation Store? Come on, I have money waiting for you!!!!

what about folks holding out for a disc release :(

fb0.jpg

JP

Any of you who held out for a western release are in for such a goddamned treat. Enjoy!
I've already bought the Japanese release so it's not as if I can't already play it if I want to...I am still looking forward to the English language version though. It also god to support companies who release these games in the west .

what about folks holding out for a disc release :(

Arc System Works have picked up the Korean release, they often do multi language physical copies for niche stuff like this, have faith!

That price is ridiculous.

It really isn't for such a high quality release. You won't get a better or more accurate experience outside of owning the PCB, my Saturn copy feels utterly redundant in comparisson.

SOME-MIST

It really isn't for such a high quality release. You won't get a better or more accurate experience outside of owning the PCB, my Saturn copy feels utterly redundant in comparisson.

believe it or not, the saturn verison is insanely arcade accurate. But I'm there with you. the ps4 version feels so good that I'm thinking of letting my saturn version and pcb go

gunstarhero

believe it or not, the saturn verison is insanely arcade accurate. But I'm there with you. the ps4 version feels so good that I'm thinking of letting my saturn version and pcb go

I actually went through with selling my PCB when the JPN PS4 version first released. Great decision - no regrets. And eeeasy money.

Clive

And I'm continuing to hold out. This generation has taught me to wait. So much shit has gotten a disc release after publishers claimed "digital only".

Speaking of which, Senko no ronde 2 and Nex Machina have both pretty much been confirmed for physical releases via Limited Run Games if anyone was holding out for them. Senko no ronde 2 with a limited edition even. No time frame for either though.

I'd pay good money for a physical PS4 or Xbox One disc of any announced Shot Triggers game.

eXistor

And I'm continuing to hold out. This generation has taught me to wait. So much shit has gotten a disc release after publishers claimed "digital only".

Yup, that's what I'm doing. I made a conscious exception for Cuphead, but more often than not it pays to wait.

Top Bottom