• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shooting at a high school in Parkland, Florida; 17 killed.

How does one create an objective criteria for these warning signs? If we start rounding up all the people that exhibit warning signs such as liking guns, grand theft auto, and being alone, what kind of society are we creating here? I know plenty of sane people that exhibit many of the traits you list, and I don't believe that they deserve to suffer extra scrutiny from this judgemental society. So to answer your question, we ignore these cases until it's too late because we didn't know who was actually dangerous until the moment the murders happened. Warning signs just aren't a thing. Figuring people out is something that we haven't figured out yet.

You're right about liking guns and GTA - that's no big deal, but I was focusing on violent, antisocial behavior and killing animals. That's definitely not normal. Pretty much every serial killer that's ever existed displayed those characteristics.

Edited to add that he was also stalking a female classmate. How many more troubling signs do you need?

Last edited:
You're right about liking guns and GTA - that's no big deal, but I was focusing on violent, antisocial behavior and killing animals. That's definitely not normal. Pretty much every serial killer that's ever existed displayed those characteristics.

Edited to add that he was also stalking a female classmate. How many more troubling signs do you need?
I was just trying to illustrate how difficult it is to take action on these warning signs without false positives. Even violent, antisocial behavior and animal killing does not justify a serial killer label. What justifies a serial killer label is serial killing, and unfortunately it's too late to stop the serial killing at that point. We only feel like it could have been stopped because we have the advantage of 20/20 hindsight. To be clear, I'm not saying that we couldn't have done anything better. Mental health practices should be improved, and we have a lot of work to do in the social sphere, but to think that we can just stop serial killers before they kill people is just wishful thinking. We simply don't have those kind of mind reading powers yet.

JDB

Banned
In countries that have rampant terrorist attacks, they have a bomb ban but that doesn't deter nor prevent terrorism from happening.

Alcohol/Drink driving causes thousands of death each year, yet there's no call for alcohol to be banned, but we blame the driver rightfully so, but rather than blaming the gunners, we call for guns to be banned. It's just another ruse by the left to strip away our liberty.
What's the next step in the left's ruse after they've taken away all people's guns?

Leonidas

I wonder if the killer had a guardian at the time, he was adopted, lost his adopted father 6 years ago, lost his adopted mother 3 months ago. It appears he was all alone. Seems to have had no friends while at the school either, such a sad story all around.

Snorlocs

I personally believe that if less people had tools designed specifically to destroy and kill then there would be less destruction and death. What do I know though?

lefty1117

Gold Member
Refusing to take action because that action won't 100% solve the problem is lazy, irresponsible and selfish. There are plenty of examples in the world where actions to remove guns from the streets have had a major impact on gun homicides. All it takes is a simple search. The question people really need to ask themselves is, "am I willing to give up my gun to save someone else's life". For some of us the answer is an immediate YES, but for too many people I fear the answer is something else.

ASAP

Sounds like he was radicalized by the Real Republic of Florida. He was fascinated by guns, and trained with a white supremacist militia.

WOW

Good thing Trump cut funding for the countering violent extremism on white supremacists and neo-Nazis

The Giant

Banned
A few Aussie newspapers have this shooting in pages 4-5. Just shows how not important this shooting is in Australian news.

Mohonky

A few Aussie newspapers have this shooting in pages 4-5. Just shows how not important this shooting is in Australian news.
Yeh Ive barely heard a peep about it.

Normally with this stuff even my facebook would light up with people disgusted by it.

People of course care for those lost but mass shootings have just sort of become part and parcel of American life so far as we can see.

Senua

Gold Member
Sounds like he was radicalized by the Real Republic of Florida. He was fascinated by guns, and trained with a white supremacist militia.

WOW

Good thing Trump cut funding for the countering violent extremism on white supremacists and neo-Nazis
Sigh.

flacopol

Rip the victims :( , and peace to the families, gun control please , then blame GTA , CoD.... but oh yes want a gun here it is man, also want more bullet with those fries?

BANGS

Banned
Dudes, don't entertain the car bullshit. It's just a deflection and is literally impossible to confuse. We're not interested in sophistry, we're interested in solving this gun problem.
We know that bangs is smart enough to know the difference, but not smart enough to put it above politics. Leave it at that.

The car thing is just satire. I'd hope you're smart enough to see that...

What's the next step in the left's ruse after they've taken away all people's guns?
Tyranny...

llien

Cpv5CA9.png

but of course:

jYaUP4O.png

Can someone confirm or deny the former?

PS
Looks like true, somewhat:
https://edition.cnn.com/2012/12/17/world/europe/dunblane-lessons/index.html

Last edited:

BANGS

Banned
Elaborate.
We've already seen it start in Canada. First, they take the guns. Then they take the speech. Soon it will be religion and justice. Then finally, the right to refuse police/military into your home. And being unarmed, this will be the easiest of them all...

But don't worry, it will all be done in the name of "equality"...

Zog

Banned
Ok, so the car comparison was a poor comparison but my point actually was to test the consistency of one posters Appeal to Emotion (as I already said). I wanted to see if that poster really cared about the death of children or if they were just using children as tools in their war against guns.

David___

Banned
please... you knew exactly what I meant from the beginning... don't be that guy...
Please tell me any other ways I'm supposed to take "They took the guns" other than an all em-composing ban on guns, which the link you sent was anything but.

BANGS

Banned
Please tell me any other ways I'm supposed to take "They took the guns" other than an all em-composing ban on guns, which the link you sent was anything but.
So I guess you also thought when I said "they took the speech" that they sewed everyone's mouth shut?

Last edited by a moderator:

BANGS

Banned
So, anyone want to tell me how I'm supposed to have a reasonable debate with someone who tells me to fuck off after I tell them to be more specific?
You still salty about that chemistry textbook burn? I have no interest in debating you. I debate those that may have something to teach me. You just keep taking pot shots and getting shut down.

Last edited by a moderator:

JDB

Banned
We've already seen it start in Canada. First, they take the guns. Then they take the speech. Soon it will be religion and justice. Then finally, the right to refuse police/military into your home. And being unarmed, this will be the easiest of them all...

But don't worry, it will all be done in the name of "equality"...
Lay off the Jordan Peterson

Top Bottom