• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Short Peace: Ranko Tsukigime's Longest Day |OT| Get a feeling so complicated

Tizoc

RankoTsukigimesLongestDay.jpg

Release date: 18 April 2014 in Europe & Australia (TBC in NA)
Price: £39.99
Genre: 2D Sidescroller

WTF is this?
Short Peace is a collection of animated short film from various anime directors including Katsuhiro Otomo of Akira fame, Hajime Katoki of Gundam and Super Robot Wars fame & Hiroaki Ando who directed Tekkonkinkreet.
Releasing soon to PS3 (in Europe & Japan only atm it seems...), it will also feature a short game from Grasshopper Manufacture: Ranko Tsukigime's Longest Day which is a sidescrolling platformer.

Pre-order bonus
Game.co.uk are offering a pre-order for £37.99, equivalent of $64, that comes with a 288 page artbook featuring storyboards, screenshots and concept visuals from the four anime movies.
EB Games Australia are also offering a similar pre-order bonus too, though thiers is priced at AUD 79.95 (usd 75!).

Media
Various screenshots from the shorts
Announcement Trailer

Tizoc

I'm at work so can't access Youtube, I'll try to find some later and post it. Mind you, one would mainly want to get this for the anime shorts and the artbook to balance out the price this thing is going for :p

Tizoc

So far the biggest question is whether the artbook is eligable for those that order from OUTSIDE the UK. My brother lives in UK so I could ask him to pick up the stuff for me and bring it over when he returns in May...

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Was it ever confirmed if NA will only get the game, and only as a download? Importing is tempting...

Was it ever confirmed if NA will only get the game, and only as a download? Importing is tempting...

Bamco has got it all wrapped-up as download-only.

So far the biggest question is whether the artbook is eligable for those that order from OUTSIDE the UK. My brother lives in UK so I could ask him to pick up the stuff for me and bring it over when he returns in May...

The Terms and Conditions for the listing say it's UK only, so get in touch with your brother.

Danchi

There seems to be limited info surrounding this, so this is probably a long shot: does anyone know if the movies are region free? My PS3 is a Japanese model.

Listonosh

Oh wait! So the game comes bundled with four shorts? I was always so confused about this game, and I couldn't fathom that it would cost $39.99 judging from what I've seen of the game.

Tizoc

Aw man looks like Game ran out of the pre-order artbook offer(s)....ah well will see if any of the local shops here got it and try to get it for cheap.

OP is banned so even less people will be posting in this thread.

Anyway, got my copy today but not sure when I'll get around to watching or playing it. The art book is nice but is mostly black and white storyboard sketches which might not be interesting to everyone. Also there are about 20 pages towards the back that have been printed upside down : Not sure whether I should ask for a replacement because it might be every copy. Anyone else got the art book and can confirm?

There seems to be limited info surrounding this, so this is probably a long shot: does anyone know if the movies are region free? My PS3 is a Japanese model.

Has the region 2 logo on the back so probably region locked.

OP is banned so even less people will be posting in this thread.

Anyway, got my copy today but not sure when I'll get around to watching or playing it. The art book is nice but is mostly black and white storyboard sketches which might not be interesting to everyone. Also there are about 20 pages towards the back that have been printed upside down : Not sure whether I should ask for a replacement because it might be every copy. Anyone else got the art book and can confirm?

Ah OP he's last post before the ban SMH...
What page numbers are you talking about don't think I see the upside down prints:
Bla4VaKIQAACRuQ.jpg

Everything is normal up until page 240, then it goes page 264 and counts down until 241 where it then goes to 265. 264 - 241 are upside down.

Everything is normal up until page 240, then it goes page 264 and counts down until 241 where it then goes to 265. 264 - 241 are upside down.
Nothing on my artbook, best try to find a local store to swap in if you can or contact customer support.
If anybody is interested, I played through the whole thing on Twitch back when it came out in Japan.

The full run through is in the archives: http://www.twitch.tv/elliotryo/b/495900289

The short films are great, the actual game itself took about an hour and change due to my shitty play.

That's nice to hear the short films are great, game was slightly more expensive due to them, will check/follow your account =)

Maybe it's an 'artistic choice' to have them printed upside down? :)

Anyway, I should be getting my copy, with the artbook tomorrow. The sales rep in my local store had never heard of the game when I wanted to put in a preorder. He couldn't find it in the database, since he was looking for a game called 'Short Piece'. So this is going to sell millions of copies, I'm sure. :)

Hope the artbook is worth the premium price.

Edit: is the last part (pages 241-264) a different chapter in the art book? Because it's not uncommon to have the page numbering like that in Japanese manuals. I have a few manuals of Japanese retrogames where part of the manual you have to read the "western way" (i.e. from left to right), and another part starts at (what we Westerners consider) the back of the manual and you have to read that part from right to left.

If anybody is interested, I played through the whole thing on Twitch back when it came out in Japan.

The full run through is in the archives: http://www.twitch.tv/elliotryo/b/495900289

The short films are great, the actual game itself took about an hour and change due to my shitty play.

Eh I just watched the shorts several days ago and I don't think any of them really stood out in any noteworthy way, at least not like ‘Magnetic Rose’, or ‘Stink Bomb’ in Memories, or ‘The Running Man’, and ‘Order to Stop Construction’ in Neo Tokyo.

Hajime Katoki’s short (with original story by Ootomo) ‘Farewell to Weapons’ seemed like the most well rounded and engaging of the bunch, which is probably why they closed the compilation with it.
‘Gambo’, or more accurately "If you’ve ever wanted to know the outcome of a street fight between a bear and a troll" was borderline on terrible, and the remaining two ‘Hi no Youjin’ and ‘Tsukumo’ were equally insipid despite being aesthetically pleasing.
Pretty disappointing considering these guys have some decent pedigree behind them.

I was considering importing Longest Day, however after viewing the shorts and seeing the game in action this is a safe pass for me.

Maybe it's an 'artistic choice' to have them printed upside down? :)

Anyway, I should be getting my copy, with the artbook tomorrow. The sales rep in my local store had never heard of the game when I wanted to put in a preorder. He couldn't find it in the database, since he was looking for a game called 'Short Piece'. So this is going to sell millions of copies, I'm sure. :)

Hope the artbook is worth the premium price.

Edit: is the last part (pages 241-264) a different chapter in the art book? Because it's not uncommon to have the page numbering like that in Japanese manuals. I have a few manuals of Japanese retrogames where part of the manual you have to read the "western way" (i.e. from left to right), and another part starts at (what we Westerners consider) the back of the manual and you have to read that part from right to left.
Nope it's printed left to right, and the "last chapter" starts at page 179 and continues on to the end, the artbook is not bad quality wise but it's smaller than A5 page size wise, paper quality is good though.
Hmm someone want to explain the subtitle to me? I know its a JoJo reference but what does it have to do with the game?
Only the OP knows and until he is unbanned for this head shaking post:
Allow me to re-itirate: Why should we GAFfers give a shit about what gets released in China?
I DON'T UNDERSTAND THE BLOODY JUPITER LANGUAGE MAN!
I mean:
1495.gif

the artbook is not bad quality wise but it's smaller than A5 page size wise, paper quality is good though.

Yeah, I already saw some pictures today where the book seems disappointingly small. At least it's a good amount of pages, and hopefully the art itself is worthwhile.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Probably too late for this since the game has already released, but for anyone still on the fence about this, I suggest waiting for reviews and doing your research before making a purchase. Unless you place a very high collector value on the artbook or are a huge fan of Suda and the directors of the short films, this collection isn't worth even half the asking price imo.

Probably too late for this since the game has already released, but for anyone still on the fence about this, I suggest waiting for reviews and doing your research before making a purchase. Unless you place a very high collector value on the artbook or are a huge fan of Suda and the directors of the short films, this collection isn't worth even half the asking price imo.

That soothes my heart, I was disappointed I couldn't get a preorder in with the artbook. Hopefully I can nab one cheap on ebay and wait for the game/movies to come down in price.

I've played it and watched it all. It's a better game that I expected but the 4 movies werent as good as I hoped, though I did like "Possession". The game with FMVs would take abou 1-1:30 hours but it does have replayability, in trying to beat your scores or collectibles, tthere are trophies too if that matters (no platinum)

Tizoc

I'm surprised this hasn't gotten a US release yet or at least a digital release for Ranko...

I'm surprised this hasn't gotten a US release yet or at least a digital release for Ranko...

The Short Peace anthology is coming to DVD and Blu-ray later this year via Sentai (without the game). A digital-only release of Ranko is coming in the future.

Which is why the European version is enticing.

Tizoc

Some quick updates:
1- The Ranko Tsuikigime game will release on US PSN this coming Tuesday
2- The PS3 anime+game disc seems to have dropped to like 30 Pounds on Amazon

Top Bottom