• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Ranko Tsukigime's Longest Day - A Suda 51/Tokyo Jungle Acid Trip

cj_iwakura

Short Peace is $4.99 on the PSN now. It includes an hour of short films, and one of the craziest games I have ever played.

2596478-screenhunter_660+jan.jpg

Good GOD.

022_thumb2.jpg

I finished the game in 54 minutes. During those fifty more minutes, I experienced some of the following:

• Live action karaoke routine dancing
  • A luchador unmasking battle
  • A shmup fight with a dragon
  • OUTRUNNING A GIANT POMERANIAN FROM TOKYO JUNGLE
  • A mixture of anime-style, western animation-style, and manga cutscenes
  • High speed slashing action
  • An army of demons empowered by the full moon

I could go on. Holy crap, this game.

If you like Tokyo Jungle, if you like Suda 51, and you want to know what happens when those creators get together in an elevator and decide to make a game while dropping acid, play Ranko Tsukigime.

h5STH30.jpg

That should summarize your reaction by the time you finish.

so03YD-weUeZ_TKAdFZ7Mf5d07CuUaLVCiGfZHRZxASXDLRw-vSaGQnd8rhOy7CwU6joEgztt0DOVPcjQG2RkSs8WUHg-ACZCTaLSE500ifvnYXZA9FUBC3uPmKHYOAzAw

Bang.

Silvard

Ranko must live life on the fast lane if her longest day was that short.

Seriously though this is one of those games I've been aching to try. Did this get a physical release in NA?

cj_iwakura

Ranko must live life on the fast lane if her longest day was that short.

Seriously though this is one of those games I've been aching to try. Did this get a physical release in NA?

No, only Europe. I've been waiting for a price drop forever.

cj_iwakura

i bought this game for a tenner.

simply a waste of money. the anime is ok, but the game is simply shit. its just a mash-up of some genre.

I can tell who was down for a Suda trip and who wasn't, and this game was pure Kill The Past-esque madness from start to finish.

SpotAnime

It has an hour of short films yet it only took you 54 minutes to finish? Enjoyable or not, that doesn't make a great value proposition.

cj_iwakura

It has an hour of short films yet it only took you 54 minutes to finish? Enjoyable or not, that doesn't make a great value proposition.

It's $5. I got more than my money's worth out of it, and that doesn't count levels I had to retry. I'd say it was closer to 2 hours.

cj_iwakura

Well there was talk about a DS/3DS version... Oh well i've accepted we'll never see it in English

It does exist, but no one wanted to publish it. That said, Suda still wants to see it localized, so don't give up that easily.

Sheesh, looking at the OT, no one even commented on it. Am I the only one who finished the game? Heh.

GamerJM

Banned
I stumbled across some footage of this game a little while ago and it looked really cool and got close to buying it, but then I read some reviews and basically everything I read about it turned me off pretty hard.

cj_iwakura

I stumbled across some footage of this game a little while ago and it looked really cool and got close to buying it, but then I read some reviews and basically everything I read about it turned me off pretty hard.

Suda games always get hammered in reviews. if you're into his particular brand of madness, you'll love it. If not, uh, run away. This legitimately feels like the most Suda-helmed game since NMH1. It's just off-the-wall crazy town.

Oh, and Akira Yamaoka did the music. I swear I hear Kanye West samples in the stage clear music. ('Haaa')

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Didn't this bomb really badly in Japan?
The Japanese MSRP was also about $70, which is pretty hard to swallow knowing the contents. I regret paying so much for it, but if you like suda51's style I'd say the "unique" experience is worth $5 even if you're not interested in the short films.

Baust

I really enjoyed it, and I'd say it's definitely worth the sale price. I picked it up for $10 physical and had no regrets.

It's really like a condensed version of a typical Suda51 game.

Oh and the story was nuts. It's worth playing just to see how crazy it gets.

Deft Beck

Ranko is an incredibly short game about every Suda51 trope shoved into a Sonic game starring a girl in a wedding dress who fights demons.

If you come into the game with that expectation, you will either love it or hate it.

Oh man, bought a PS3 the other day and picked this up on the sale, just finished playing through this. What a fucking trip. Haven't played a Suda game in forever (just a few minutes of The Silver Case's re-release), but definitely helped that I've also been playing Tokyo Jungle.

Still gotta watch the movie that came with it, no idea what to expect.

Top Bottom