• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ShortFatOtaku [Youtuber] conducts text interview with former Volition developer (Saints Row) about what went happen with SR and Volition in general

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Nier Automata is woke?

Danjin44 Danjin44 , could you help me here? Is there any aspect of Nier Automata that is really woke?
nichijou-laughing.gif

What part? If Nier Automata is considered "woke" then I have no fucking idea what word means.

Last edited:
They went too over the top with the goof. Peak Saints Row was Saints Row 2. They had a bit of goofy, but not too much. I think they struck a perfect middle ground. Then the rest of the games came out and suddenly you were a superhero flying around the city wacking people with giant dildos.

HoodWinked

Ya it was a gut punch to see Volition's demise but at that time they were a shadow of their former glory. But Volition's true peak was Red Faction Guerilla, this game was like the moon landing. They had just the right kind of engineers/programmers/artists and created this destruction system that has yet to really be match.

And like the Apollo missions because all of the individual expertise that were responsible for it have retired or moved on, that combined knowledge is essentially lost to time.

( check out 6:25 for a neogaf mention )

Last edited:

JonSnowball

This video really reinforced my hatred of the term "woke". What a gross over simplification used by mouth breathing morons when there's far more appropriate and less reductive ways to describe the content they're referring to. Pandering due to self-righteousness caused by an addiction to social media, or a fundamental psychological inability to function in reality wherein criticism is characterized as harassment or bullying.

StueyDuck

I know you probably don't mean it this way, but the seemed implication with your post is that people without wokeness have those creative skills and ambitions, which is why I sometimes come into these threads to point out that eradicating perceived wokeness won't suddenly erase all untalented people from the world.

There will still exist those same people who don't have creative skills and ambitions(for example, nepotism babies) because wokeness/anti-wokeness itself is considered a secondary symptom to a much larger problem.

The fact that the topic of wokeness has ballooned this large online into being something everyone is pointing a finger to when it comes to such things like skill level is actually quite sad.
Unskilled unwoke people exist too.

Absolutely.

But the woke culture or religion or cult or whatever you would like the percieve it as doesn't facilitate creativity and skill because of their beliefs. They believe they must never work hard because of mental health, they can never make a game about x y or z, they believe that they must spread their will to others and force them to feel/think a certain way.

I'd argue it's exactly why we don't really see any good religious games either, and I don't mean religious as in games that tackle religion as a plot, I mean religious as in the creator and the games entire design is around the belief of the developer and it is made purely in a bubble for other people of that faith.

Honestly swap out woke for Christian or any other religion and you'll mostly come across the exact same issues with game development.

Until woke people can prove they can put wokeness aside and actually become passionate about their product I'm always going to call them out. The difference is that a Christian will make a christian game for Christians where as wokeys are infiltrating the big companies to try brainwash and spread/force the word of their woke doctrine on to others.

There's a delicious hypocrisy to woke people.

Last edited:

Shubh_C63

I have seen so many supposed narrative creative teams to woke the characters in a game that I would actually want to see which game is considered Non-Woke? I may have missed the entire debate

Whose the worst offender to be a non-woke game and how many kittens have it killed ?
Yakuza series is non woke ? or Warhammer 40K is non woke? lol
Is Witcher considered non-woke ?

dottme

I have seen so many supposed narrative creative teams to woke the characters in a game that I would actually want to see which game is considered Non-Woke? I may have missed the entire debate

Whose the worst offender to be a non-woke game and how many kittens have it killed ?
Yakuza series is non woke ? or Warhammer 40K is non woke? lol
Is Witcher considered non-woke ?
Are you aware of all the dead following the release of Hogwart Legacy.

Dane

Based on text you mean out of it, no?

I mean that DEI part, sigh typical anglo bullshit. White people telling others how they should feel about themselves, their stories and so on...
Into it, the non white person was invited just because he's a minority and left because it was pure bullshit. Gotta drag someone to fill quotas.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Into it, the non white person was invited just because he's a minority and left because it was pure bullshit. Gotta drag someone to fill quotas.
Ah sorry, probably my non-English native brain did not understand it.

RoboCain

As a hip hop head I always found curious how Volition went from exploiting gang culture in SR and SR2 to make a parody of it in SR3. After that, I remember watching those streamings they did on Youtube and realise they were mostly nerdy white guys. My impressions seems to align with what the interviewer describes, they followed a fad in 2006 and now they don't really want to make a game in the old Saint Rows style anymore.

Kudos to the devs to stick to their values, I guess. Looking forward for that eastern european game.

Top Bottom