• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should Aquaman be Polynesian?

Status
Not open for further replies.
preach.

that and I hate when they make changes to the source material that can be easily avoided.

Yeah, Michael B. Jordan would be better fit as, I dunno, an athlete in a sports movie or something. Seriously no reason to act like he had to play the Human Torch other than quota SJW bullshit.

Platy

The only characters that NEEDS to be caucasian white are Captain America, Red Skull and Magneto, since they are all tied to very specific (and racist) moments in history.

So yea, would be awesome if Aquaman was polynesian ! =D

MisterHero

Atlantis is from Greek mythology so maybe Aquaman should look however a Greek looks. maybe

but Jason Momoa looks great too. 90s Aquaman was cool

Shaanyboi

Banned

Pretty sure he means Steve Rogers specifically. Also Bruce Wayne probably should be white too considering the Wayne legacy and history with Gotham. But just about everyone else around him, the Gordons, Dick, Jason, Selina, Tim, etc. could all be people of colour.

Peter Parker really should also be a white kid to be honest.

This I don't agree with. There's nothing about Peter that demands a white dude.

MisterHero

Maybe the geniuses on the internet could write better stories for these characters or heck create new characters.

and there was a black Captain America.

I think a story of a black or any race for that matter Captain America in WWII would be awesome. Something like they wanted to test the serum on a throwaway body first but it surprisingly worked and now the government has no clue what to do with him. It could explore the racial dynamics of the era as to what would happen if a minority was propped up symbolically into that highly nationalistic time.

Shaanyboi

Banned
I think a story of a black or any race for that matter Captain America in WWII would be awesome. Something like they wanted to test the serum on a throwaway body first but it surprisingly worked and now the government has no clue what to do with him. It could explore the racial dynamics of the era as to what would happen if a minority was propped up symbolically into that highly nationalistic time.

It really would be cool. And the US wouldn't want to actively promote their most powerful soldier being a black man, etc. It would be a fascinating take on the story, but in the same way Red Son is a fascinating take on Superman. An elseworlds story that would probably have such drastically differing consequences on these characters and their worldview.

We did get Samantha Wilson Captain America in the Spider-Gwen universe.

latest

Slayven

Done

Nesotenso

Yeah, Michael B. Jordan would be better fit as, I dunno, an athlete in a sports movie or something. Seriously no reason to act like he had to play the Human Torch other than quota SJW bullshit.

He is a fine actor who was in a stupid movie. But if they are casting Johnny Storm, I would want them to cast a white dude. I am not fond of racebending if it goes either way. For stuff I like, I hope they never do it.

Platy

and there was a black Captain America.

Sorry, I mean Steve Rogers.

I know racism is over in america right now (lol) but in the world war they would never have choosen a black dude to represent the nation =P

Would be awesome, but would completly shape him into ANOTHER PERSON ENTIRELY.

But then again, Red Son is my favorite Supes story xD

I am against racebending characters because one there is usually a equalivant minority character with their own story they could use, and 2 it says "We can't make him straight up ethnic, we will just paint the white person so we can get the credit".

God willing Black Panther comes out and does gangbusters. So we can nix this none sense.
Pretty much. I feel like somehow BP is going to be the cause of major controversy come Captain America: Civil War. Just somehow...I know it...
He was basically like he was in the JL cartoon, but with added sarcasm. But it was the first time he'd ever seemed like a legit Leaguer with character and not just a joke. Which isn't surprising given the two people who wrote for him the most were Peter David and Grant Morrison.

plus he had the hots for WW and once accidentally let her know while holding onto her lasso
MORE sarcastic than the cartoon? Sarcasm was like, at least 40% of his character in there.
It's the Pym syndrome man you can't fight it.

Well, I think the most recent film may have changed that. I like to think, anyways. Rage of Ultron Hank, though...
avengers-rage-of-ultron-ogn-remender-opena-marvel-comics-pym_-2.jpg

Johndoey

Banned
Pretty sure he means Steve Rogers specifically. Also Bruce Wayne probably should be white too considering the Wayne legacy and history with Gotham. But just about everyone else around him, the Gordons, Dick, Jason, Selina, Tim, etc. could all be people of colour.

This I don't agree with. There's nothing about Peter that demands a white dude.
Peter Parker works best as naive white dude from Queens to me.

ReiGun

Thor was a frog once.

I'm sorry, but I cannot work up the fucks to give about changing a character's race in an adaptation. In this fucking genre of all things. If the story is good, who cares?

I am against racebending characters because one there is usually a equalivant minority character with their own story they could use, and 2 it says "We can't make him straight up ethnic, we will just paint the white person so we can get the credit".

God willing Black Panther comes out and does gangbusters. So we can nix this none sense.

You have too much faith in people to not think BP won't just be viewed as an exception that's only successful because it's a Marvel film.

Johndoey

Banned
Pretty much. I feel like somehow BP is going to be the cause of major controversy come Captain America: Civil War. Just somehow...I know it...

MORE sarcastic than the cartoon? Sarcasm was like, at least 40% of his character in there.

Well, I think the most recent film may have changed that. I like to think, anyways. Rage of Ultron Hank, though...
avengers-rage-of-ultron-ogn-remender-opena-marvel-comics-pym_-2.jpg

I hope they get more into what makes Pym such an interesting character in future films because is definitely isn't on display in Ant-Man.

I hope they get more into what makes Pym such an interesting character in future films because is definitely isn't on display in Ant-Man.

It certainly isn't, but neither is the spouse abusing asshole that the general public (and the Ultimates) puts on display.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
It certainly isn't, but neither is the spouse abusing asshole that the general public (and the Ultimates) puts on display.

Its kinda sad how different marvel and dc treat aquaman and hank and at the same time reach similar results. DC, knowing they are against a rising tide, still tries to bring ligitimacy to aquaman. Noone cares to listen, but they try anyway. Marvel on the other hand leans into the skid. They dont try to fight the tide, but instead has him seek help, open womens clinics, and just be overall torn from the incident that has changed his life(especially given that just about everyone has had a negative aspect retconned from their history) but no matter what, to everyone that doesnt read his stuff, he will always be some monster like wife beater, even being compared to the likes of real life spousal abusers chris brown and sean penn.

Huh? That would depend entirely on where in the Atlantic it was. The Flashpoint Paradox map that DC released had Atlantis north of the mouth of the med. It's irrelevant anyway since they have tech/magic to go wherever they want, they would have had trade and pop exchange with Europe and NA when they had their empire.

I'm like 90% sure I've seen black Atlanteans in some of the cartoons or something. Slay can you confirm?

you're talking bout kaldur'ahm

84f4fca8c4.jpg

he's not a good example tho cuz you could argue that he's black because of his dad, who happens to be this guy:

BlackManta.jpg

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
It probably is considering the GAFer but it sounds so real, right? :p Especially when you have so many people here admitting to being against racebending.

you make it seem like its some sort of horrible thing to be against

Its kinda sad how different marvel and dc treat aquaman and hank and at the same time reach similar results. DC, knowing they are against a rising tide, still tries to bring ligitimacy to aquaman. Noone cares to listen, but they try anyway. Marvel on the other hand leans into the skid. They dont try to fight the tide, but instead has him seek help, open womens clinics, and just be overall torn from the incident that has changed his life(especially given that just about everyone has had a negative aspect retconned from their history) but no matter what, to everyone that doesnt read his stuff, he will always be some monster like wife beater, even being compared to the likes of real life spousal abusers chris brown and sean penn.

Well put.

Slayven

That is why Hank is my second favorite character, he been through some shit, and realizes he needs help. Makes him really 3 dimensional. Shame they will never play that out in live action.

That is why Hank is my second favorite character, he been through some shit, and realizes he needs help. Makes him really 3 dimensional. Shame they will never play that out in live action.

Oh it definitely sucks. The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes did have Hank as a main character, and it did a really good job with him in that.

Until S2 where he went crazy without any build-up to said crazy, but for the most part they did a really good job with him. Or so I thought.

Fuchsdh

A movie's a pretty bad medium to try and even begin to approach that level of character development, especially when he's only a part of it.

As for the OP's question... not particularly? There's nothing afaik about Aquaman that leans heavily on Polynesian roots. But I have the same opinion on all these discussions. You wanna' make Spider-Man or Captain America black, get a new person to fill in the suit, and it works for me (plus it gives poor Peter Parker a chance to have a happy ending, but like Marvel will ever let that stick.) Same thing could be done for Aquaman.

The only characters that NEEDS to be caucasian white are Captain America, Red Skull and Magneto, since they are all tied to very specific (and racist) moments in history.

So yea, would be awesome if Aquaman was polynesian ! =D
Did you just pick 3 at random or something? There's a plethora superheroes who's origin story necessitates they be "Caucasian White". How would you explain a character like Wonder Woman, for instance?

Did you just pick 3 at random or something? There's a plethora superheroes who's origin story necessitates they be "Caucasian White". How would you explain a character like Wonder Woman, for instance?

"In Greek mythology, the Amazons were a race of woman warriors. Herodotus reported that they were related to the Scythians (an Iranian people) and placed them in a region bordering Scythia in Sarmatia (modern territory of Ukraine). Other historiographers place them in Anatolia,[1] or sometimes Libya.[2]"

"In Greek mythology, the Amazons were a race of woman warriors. Herodotus reported that they were related to the Scythians (an Iranian people) and placed them in a region bordering Scythia in Sarmatia (modern territory of Ukraine). Other historiographers place them in Anatolia,[1] or sometimes Libya.[2]"
Um, we actually know who her parents were.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom