• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should I be playing videogames on Dopamine Receptor Blockers?

Brigandier

Might be better consulting with a health care professional of some sort 🤷‍♂️

Dr NeoGaf is probably not the right approach.

Unless you want locking up for the rest of your life with no arms legs or anything but a head and torso 🤣

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Playing videogames while blocking the fun side of the brain sounds like a waste of time, but if you still want to play I'd advise playing some educational or history games so at least you'll learn something out of the experience.

I'd recommend Kingdom Come: Deliverance.

I tested positve for Celiac's Disease, which causes Schizophrenia.
Causes schizophrenia??? A Dr put you on Invega???!!! Injections or tablets? Jesus fucking christ....are you manifesting any signs of schizophrenia? That is an extraordinarily serious drug to put someone on. What kind of dr? Are you seeing a Psychiatrist? Everything about this screams wrong.

Last edited:

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Stay of prescription drugs man. What is wrong with you?

If games aren’t fun any more, stop for a while. Or just push through the phase. We all have those. Not everything has to be fun all the time.

marquimvfs

Stop doing drugs, especially the recreative ones. You will be fine in about two to three weeks.
About the prescription drug you're taking, the collateral effects you will be facing in about 8 to 22 days (the drug won't have any effect until there, if you're planning on a shorter treatment, just stop. Everithing you feel until there is pure placebo. When the drug start to kick, you will be in an extreme lethargic state and with lack of energy, will have tremors like parkinson among other things.) This drug don't act the way you think it acts, stop taking it immediately if it wasn't prescribed by a doctor that you're seeing.
I'm not a doctor, but Im a clinical engineer and also have experience with (and the drugs that it is used as adjuvant with) it by assisting my mother that was very sick until last year, when she died from a heart condition (that was aggravated by the depression and antipsychotic drugs she took for the last 30 years. Yes, gain of weight, fat and heart problems are another nasty collateral effect).
In my experience, what make young people like you, I assume, take extreme measures like using a drug like that, is an lethargic or depressive state caused by drug abuse. I'm not judging here, but if that's really the case, you just need to stop. You'll be alright, like I said. If you're not on drugs and are feeling bad somehow, you first need to see a therapist, to help you understand the problem and indicate the right professional (a neurologist or a psychiatrist) you need to see and the exact condition you need treatment for. Don't do medical treatments by watching youtubers opinions, even if they're medicine doctors, that's an awesome stupidity.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

I want him to ask on Resetera.

the great gatsby glitter GIF
They'll just add estrogen to his blockers

Diddy X

I'm not a doctor but if you have some kind of paranoia or other Schizophrenia related symptoms you should stay away from stress which is a cause of those symptoms, videogames can be pretty stressful, try other activities.

BlackTron

If you have celiac disease, consider that the root cause could be gut bacteria dysbiosis caused by bad diet or other prior bad event such as antibiotics.

My roommate and I were watching Dopamine detox videos on YouTube, and it occured to me that since I have taken Dopamine Receptor Blockers as an injection, that the dopamine hits from games don't hit the same. So should I play videogames while medicated this way?
You're not a doctor stop getting high and pretending you're one.

marquimvfs

Dopamine.... BLOCKER?!

wtf? give me more dopamine!
There's some professionals that defend there's cases where you experiment a flood of dopamine, your body became resistant to it, like in drug abuse situations, or when you are addicted to social media and so on. That's the biggest of the reasos why you always need more to feel satisfied.
Some people (not serious professionals, mind you, most are just youtube nuthead lifestyle coaches) are prescribing some sort of "dopamine detox" (there's books about this bullshit) for those cases, and some people even prescribe drugs they don't understand completely to treat it. It doesn't work like that in the end, but people generally buy the bullshit they hear. Absolutely crazy stuff, the drug OT is taking isn't even completely understood, it is theorized that the effects it have in pacients with mental disorders are from its effects in serotonin and dopamine receptors, but it isn't fully proved that it acts this way. They just know the drug works treating some diseases, the trials proved it, but the action mechanism isn't fully comprehended and that is just the more accepted hypothesis.
If OT is really having some problems related to this, he just need to stop doing whatever is giving the dopamine flood, be it drugs or whatever. Not take some serious prescription drugs by the advice of some youtube rando. It takes time, but he will be alright. If not, then it's not related to that and he will be in need for real medical assistance.

Last edited:

Humdinger

Some people are wondering why someone would want to block dopamine, so maybe I can add a little context.

There is an old theory about schizophrenia (which is what this med is reportedly prescribed for, per Dr. Google, along with similar conditions) that says the condition is due to excessive dopamine activity. It's an old theory. I don't know how much validity it has. I suspect not a whole lot, judging by these "deficient neurotransmitter X = condition Y" formulations, which are extremely simplistic if you know anything about how complex the brain is.

Not long ago, we learned that there is no evidence of a link between serotonin deficiency and depression -- something that the pharmaceutical companies and psychiatry had been peddling for decades. (Actually, this was well known in the field for ages, it just took a long time for it to work its way into public awareness). I suspect this is another of those theories -- something we'll look back on in 100 years and realize was hopelessly simplistic. I think most informed people already realize this. We are using blunt instruments to try to solve subtle problems. Granted, antipsychotic medication is better than trepanning (drilling holes in people's heads) or locking them up in insane asylums, but we've got a long way to go.

Anyhow, to put it very simply, the theory says schizophrenia is due to excessive dopamine activity, so if you take medication that reduces dopamine activity, you will reduce schizophrenia symptoms. That would be the rationale for blocking dopamine (reducing its activity).

StereoVsn

The people who think I should pay for this information are being ridiculous.
I recommend (with abundance of caution) to try asking the question and recommendations in a few different prompts to major LLMs. So hit up ChatGPT, Anthropic's Claud, Gemini, Facebook's model, etc... and compare the answers. They are surprisingly decent at doing this sort of research that doesn't' need to be up to date. Make sure to compare the answers, try asking same thing in a different manner and eliminate stuff down. You can even plug in answers from one ChatBot into others and ask the questions in "reverse".

I legitimately think I have ADHD but I do not like self-diagnosing myself so I would like to find out from my psychiatrist or during an analysis.

I wonder what it's like paying a video game on Adderall? I've never tried it before but I hear it really keeps you focused.

nemiroff

Gold Member
I don't think it blocks all dopamine, but helps regulate it. So I can't imagine there would be any benefit in not trying to live a normal life, playing videogames included. But what do I know.. Best wishes.

Humdinger

I don't think it blocks all dopamine, but helps regulate it.

Right, it doesn't block all dopamine. If it did that, the brain would shut down. It just reduces dopamine activity at certain receptor sites.

p.s. These meds do not have targeted effects. They are blunt instruments. It would be nice if they just targeted psychotic symptoms (e.g., hallucinations), but no, they have global effects on the whole system. So you get all kinds of unintended side-effects, like the reduced enjoyment OP is reporting. I'd expect that reduced motivation would be common, too.

If the side-effects bother you, OP, I'd suggest discussing it with your prescribing psychiatrist. Perhaps he/she can better tune your dosage.

Last edited:

marquimvfs

The people who think I should pay for this information are being ridiculous.
Good luck to you, then. I agree that you shouldn't have to pay for an adequate treatment, but, because of the way you are talking I bet you're in the USA, where there's no universal healthcare system, so you're out of luck. But it's best to do nothing than to do whatever you've been doing. You could end in a worse state than you are right now. I hope you manage to find a solution to your problem.

Soodanim

My roommate and I were watching Dopamine detox videos on YouTube, and it occured to me that since I have taken Dopamine Receptor Blockers as an injection, that the dopamine hits from games don't hit the same. So should I play videogames while medicated this way?
What do you think will happen if you do something that would normally release dopamine while on blockers? You ask as if the dopamine could cause a pressure build up behind the blockers until it eventually explodes your brain.

What do you think will happen if you do something that would normally release dopamine while on blockers? You ask as if the dopamine could cause a pressure build up behind the blockers until it eventually explodes your brain.
Well, it's only happened to me once, when I got in an argument that got me riled up, but my medication fires off when I try to act on the dopamine hits. My roommate says it's like the medication lies dormant waiting to strike. Mostly I just don't have the drive to act on Dopamine driven stuff. It's kind of feels flat, which gives me focus, unless I am threatened.

Conversation feels like a breeze, whereas, before the medication,I would miss things being said due to misfires of dopamine distracting me.

Last edited:

The Stig

There's some professionals that defend there's cases where you experiment a flood of dopamine, your body became resistant to it, like in drug abuse situations, or when you are addicted to social media and so on. That's the biggest of the reasos why you always need more to feel satisfied.
Some people (not serious professionals, mind you, most are just youtube nuthead lifestyle coaches) are prescribing some sort of "dopamine detox" (there's books about this bullshit) for those cases, and some people even prescribe drugs they don't understand completely to treat it. It doesn't work like that in the end, but people generally buy the bullshit they hear. Absolutely crazy stuff, the drug OT is taking isn't even completely understood, it is theorized that the effects it have in pacients with mental disorders are from its effects in serotonin and dopamine receptors, but it isn't fully proved that it acts this way. They just know the drug works treating some diseases, the trials proved it, but the action mechanism isn't fully comprehended and that is just the more accepted hypothesis.
If OT is really having some problems related to this, he just need to stop doing whatever is giving the dopamine flood, be it drugs or whatever. Not take some serious prescription drugs by the advice of some youtube rando. It takes time, but he will be alright. If not, then it's not related to that and he will be in need for real medical assistance.
thanks for the detailed explanation.

sounds super sketchy

Soodanim

Well, it's only happened to me once, when I got in an argument that got me riled up, but my medication fires off when I try to act on the dopamine hits. My roommate says it's like the medication lies dormant waiting to strike. Mostly I just don't have the drive to act on Dopamine driven stuff. It's kind of feels flat, which gives me focus, unless I am threatened.

Conversation feels like a breeze, whereas, before the medication,I would miss things being said due to misfires of dopamine distracting me.
I don't know that dopamine is released when you have an argument. You may be attributing too much to one chemical.

Presuming that dopamine blockers are like other blockers, something in the normal routine of the chemical's function is disrupted thereby inhibiting its effects. To put it lightly, it seems outside of the realm of possibility that dopamine still freely flows but you're given some sort of power of control over its effects. The drug either stops some part of its function or it doesn't.

If you're threatened, that would be adrenaline if anything. Again, you seem to be attributing a lot to one chemical.

marquimvfs

before the medication,I would miss things being said due to misfires of dopamine distracting me.
Now you started to give some context. If you felt distracted while doing simple tasks, or during things that are really important, the first thing that comes to mind is exhaustion, or stress. In some cases, it could be adhd, but more information is needed to do a real diagnosis. The medication you're taking isn't related to what you're experiencing at all, neither dopamine "misfire".

Roni

Gold Member
My roommate and I were watching Dopamine detox videos on YouTube, and it occured to me that since I have taken Dopamine Receptor Blockers as an injection, that the dopamine hits from games don't hit the same.
You should change your username to minorgamer10 now. /s

Last edited:

SHA

I'm not a doctor but what do you mean by "isn't the same ?" cause the degree of severity is different and it's not just on video games, whatever your answer might be I'm concluding that it's depression, it actually doesn't stay the same, the severity keeps on progressing and you should do something sooner.

Last edited:
Top Bottom