• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should Naughty Dog buy themselves back from Sony?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KAL2006

Banned
I'd like Retro and Monolith to buy them selves out if Nintendo. I think Retro has more potential making a new IP rather than DKC. And I would like X on more powerful hardware, Monolith seem to push hardware potential.

Flatline

Banned
almost and impossible in the same sentence :p

I don't need to read through this entire thread to see the arguements. I've seen it for years. People thought the same thing for years with Bungie and MS. The fanboys didn't want to hear it...and sure enough, guys like me sitting in the minority were right.

People who knew what was going on didn't, Bungie was already frustrated with Microsoft's IP milking so either they'd be a mass exodus like it happened with Rare and Lionhead or they'd buy themselves out. Sony doesn't have the same problem because they're not being assholes to their devs. In fact they're being so nice that devs like Quactic Dream actually want to be bought.

..and that's one of the many reasons already explained in the thread you forgot to read before professing with confidence that anyone who believes that ND won't leave is a Sony fanboy.

Endo Punk

In other words:

"why can't I play Sony games on my preferred console?"

I'm playing it on my preferred console :p I just wanna share the love is all. But if ND and Sony are essentially one and the same as the posts in this thread suggests then yeah I guess it's asking the impossible.

ViviOggi

From a player's perspective any first party developer should buy itself back. Console exclusivity is a shitty, outdated concept on life support.

From a player's perspective any first party developer should buy itself back. Console exclusivity is a shitty, outdated concept on life support.

One that can still sell the occasional console though.......

Don't agree with it but not entirely sure how the market would work without them

Biggest way to differentiate consoles/PC imo

To clarify I mean its the biggest way each console and PC can differentiate itself from the others

By what exclusive games they each have etc.

Flatline

Banned

Console exclusivity in the age where consoles are becoming more and more like PCs is one of the most important features that differentiate them from PCs and each other. You might not like it but it's more important now than before and it's certainly not on life support.

From the players perspective you should take into account the benefits of a developer that only has to worry about how one version of their game plays. All time and resources can be devoting to that version instead of having to spread it across multiple platforms.

Sponge

Banned
I'd like Retro and Monolith to buy them selves out if Nintendo. I think Retro has more potential making a new IP rather than DKC. And I would like X on more powerful hardware, Monolith seem to push hardware potential.

Retro lost a ton of people after Metroid Prime 3. If Retro wasn't making DKC, who would? Not Rare that's for sure.

DKCR and Tropical Freeze are blessings to people who suffered the Rareware buyout. The team that did Jungle Beat is busy with Mario now anyway, and if they went back to DK that's like telling somebody Team Ninja should go back to Metroid.

btkadams

it's the main reason why we have consoles from different companies though. we need that competition because none of the console companies hit every checkbox. competition is good.

Drek

Those saying it doesn't make any sense are clearly Sony diehards who would cry foul if they left.

It makes no sense for a developer like ND, as talented as they are, to be held to one platform.

They have a large enough team IMO. They could still do exclusive stuff for Sony here and there and still bring their talent to multiple platforms.

Those saying it doesn't make sense are people who understand the industry well enough to know that there isn't actually a developer called Naughty Dog. There is a wholly owned, entirely internal software studio within Sony that goes by the name Naughty Dog. There literally isn't a distinct "Naughty Dog" to buy out and move on here.

Go look at the interviews quoted earlier in this thread about Naughty Dog people talking about the ICE team. When the journalist doing the interview was surprised when the ND staffer referred to the ICE team as an internal Naughty Dog group and followed up with by saying "I thought ICE was an internal Sony team" the ND staffer's response effectively amounted to them saying "yes, what's your point?"

Just because the name is Naughty Dog and not Sony Santa Monica doesn't mean they're any less a part of Sony. No one was asking for someone to save Sony Liverpool from being closed, even though they used to e an independent studio called Psygnosis, because they had become fully integrated into SCEE. Same with Evolution, which is now a major branch of SCEE despite still going by the Evolution name.

Bungie still had major staffers leave and had already lost one of the founders to go work on new things. A Bungie without Jason Jones and company isn't worth turning the lights on, MS had no choice. Sony have made major staffing decisions at ND for several major departures and hires already (when Rubin left, when Gavin left, when they hired Amy Hennig away from Crystal Dynamics, etc.)

I would argue that different competing hardware formats are the problem, not first party developers. Sony, MS, and Nintendo have a right to the software pie just like anyone else, after all they're the ones providing all the materials for that pie to even exist. The problem comes from an industry that fails to accept a universal standard like the movie industry did decades ago (VHS > DVD > Blu-Ray) as did the music industry (vinyl > cassettes > CDs > MP3). Other formats exist in those industries but all the major players have unified behind a single major format for the majority of distribution, making their products available to all owners.

This is why we need a one console solution where the base hardware is licensed out to manufacturers, a la DVD and Blu-Ray. Sony would obviously be amenable as this is the model they 1. initially tried to get off the ground via their attempts to partner with Nintendo and SEGA and 2. it's what they do in their other major industries. Microsoft would probably be resistant unless they got full control of the base OS the hardware would run (which isn't feasible, though if they'd pull back to just DirectX as the base API they'd probably reach agreement rather quickly with Sony). Nintendo would obviously refuse because they have crazy views on hardware that has relegated them to also ran most of recent history.

Wouldnt the loss in hardware focus mean that they will waste resources in porting games to other platforms? And Sony seems to be giving them all the freedom and attention they need.

JordanN

Banned
This is why we need a one console solution where the base hardware is licensed out to manufacturers, a la DVD and Blu-Ray. Sony would obviously be amenable as this is the model they 1. initially tried to get off the ground via their attempts to partner with Nintendo and SEGA and 2. it's what they do in their other major industries. Microsoft would probably be resistant unless they got full control of the base OS the hardware would run (which isn't feasible, though if they'd pull back to just DirectX as the base API they'd probably reach agreement rather quickly with Sony). Nintendo would obviously refuse because they have crazy views on hardware that has relegated them to also ran most of recent history.
I actually suggested this idea before (although ironically, it was about Nintendo starting it).

I think it will happen when graphics max out (unless Microsoft and Sony find new ways to sell consoles).

Drek

I actually suggested this idea before (although ironically, it was about Nintendo starting it).

I think it will happen when graphics max out (unless Microsoft and Sony find new ways to sell consoles).

People have been talking about the OCF (one console future) for a long time man. What you described there was how MS originally tried to enter the industry (buying Nintendo and having them become the "games division" with MS money and muscle behind them).

Also, I think that partnership would get their ass handed to them by Sony. The gap between Miyamoto and company and MS' brain trust would be wider than the ocean that separates their home offices.

First post is perfect. That said, I hope they do not go third party as I think their quality would decline. I love that Naughty Dog builds for specific hardware, taking advantage of all it offers.

This. That´s their biggest strength.

I think Sony and Naugthy Dog are a perfect match, just like Rareware was back then with Nintendo.

Tex117

Banned
I would not be a bit surprised if Sony pays these guys MUCH higher % of what a developer would normally get per sold game.

Sony knows these guys are really what is making the Playstation different right now. They showcase the system from a graphic standpoint, and position the Playstation brand as something that isn't the next big shooter.

Sure there are a few others, but the Uncharteds, and now TLOU sells systems.

I assure you. NaughtyDog is aware of this and so is Sony. If NaughtyDog is still with Sony, it is because it makes business sense to do so.

Bungie buys themselves back and the first game they make is a fucking FPS, and if it sells they will be in the same situation when they were owned by MS, if Naughty Dog buy were to do the same i just hope they don't create something similar to what they have created..

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Bungie buys themselves back and the first game they make is a fucking FPS, and if it sells they will be in the same situation when they were owned by MS, if Naughty Dog buy were to do the same i just hope they don't create something similar to what they have created..

Bungie isn't owned by Activsion. They decided to make the game they wanted to make, which Activision picked up, and hammered out an agreement that was fine with Bungie. When that contract is fufilled, they'll move on to make whatever they want.

Is it possible for Sony & Activision to co-publish a Crash bandicoot or Spyro game made by ND?

Possible? Yes. Probable? No. Naughty Dog has no interest in revisiting those IPs, and Activision would probably not be interested in working with Sony on such a project anyway.

Alienous

you seriously give ND that little credit? that's quite an insult to them

It isn't.

There are tons of talented developers, but a few stand above the rest. Is everyone just unanimously better? No. It's about the environment. Sony have allowed Naughty Dog to foster the right environment. Job security, creative freedom etc.

When you look at the best games you've ever played, immediately you might look at a pattern amongst developers e.g. 'Naughty Dog have made 3 of my top ten games of all time'. When you consider it some more, you find that the majority of the 'best games' have had delayed releases, which tends to be the key differentiator. Sony give Naughty Dog the time, resources and security to make their own creative choices. They give this freedom to Quantic Dream, Sony Santa Monica etc.

TL;DR: Naughty Dog aren't so exceptional that under another publisher they would be achieving as well as they do.

KAL2006

Banned
Possible? Yes. Probable? No. Naughty Dog has no interest in revisiting those IPs, and Activision would probably not be interested in working with Sony on such a project anyway.

Naughty Dog would not have to make the game. Perhaps Sanzaru or Cerny's Japan team. I'd like a next gen Crash Bandicoot game, whether its exclusive or not.

I think what is most important is that Sony keeps the talented people at Naughty Dog happy. They are qualified enough to get just about any job they want, and could even quit to make their own studio. It's important for Sony that they give them enough creative control for them to make the games they want under the Sony umbrella.

omonimo

Banned
I hope will never happens. I don't remember many single first parties developers ended well after to be became third parties.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Why do you guys think bungie wanted out of Microsoft? Is it because they wanted to double their sales? Think about this. Really.

This. This fucking here. Sony closes only the studios that have put titles that have sold terrible for them, and ND is the studio that sells the most along with Polyphony.

If anything I bet Bungie saw even Ensemble being closed down before their game went out and were thankful for having gotten out of MS.

A 10 year contract developing Destiny and

-Activision can terminate the contract without penalty if Destiny doesn't sell at least 5 million units in the first six months, or for any reason they please after the second expansion pack releases.

That's freedom?

This is key in the discussion:

-Activision can terminate the contract without penalty [...] for any reason they please after the second expansion pack releases.

Activision is still big bad Activision with this clause. They don't even have to argue why they cut ties with Bungie, they can actually fuck them over with this. Even with all their reputation behind them, Bungie is still taking economical and business risks, Naughty Dog doesn't have to worry about anything, aside from making an actual game.

1. Sony wouldn't allow it, because they have no backup plan like Microsoft had with 343. They really need Naughty Dog
2. It's not just a single IP like Halo. Naughty Dog has shown that they can create new IPs and can turn them into franchises with huge success. You don't give someone like this up
3. Naughty Dog is pretty happy where they are now and get insane creative freedom. I really don't see why they should care about sales numbers at this point

Opiate

No, I think Naughty Dog has a very good situation for themselves.

Naughty Dog's games sell 3-5M, unlike the obvious comparison of Bungie, whose games have sold 8-10M.

This is a very significant difference. It almost certainly means that third party publishers do/would give Bungie more rope than they would give Naughty Dog, and since both are cinematic/big budget blockbuster game designers, having lots of money to blow is something they care a great deal about.

In short: Bungie had a higher chance of finding a big-budget partner than does Naughty Dog. No one will give ND the leeway that Sony has.

Something else I remember that's a good example of why being a 3rd Party Publisher might not be ideal

Obsidian missed a bonus from Publisher Bethesda by one point on Metacritic

ONE point cost them the bonus that I believe was based off of royalties

Sony isn't perfect but they don't play the numbers games the same way other publishers do

Some Publishers are just terrible, granted from what I can tell now ND is just Sony so not really a clear distinction

ironchair

Banned
I don't think so. We've already seen that some first party publishers are more willing to take risks and offer creative freedom to their developers than others, especially when compared to third-party developed games. I think that an absence of first party diversity would mean less games like The Last of Us and more games like Fuse.

Painraze

Unconfirmed Member
Pretty funny that people think Naughty Dog would take more risks going multiplatform funded by EA, Activision or the like. You want to destroy ND? This is the quickest way to do it.

rai

Neo Member
if they buy themselves back they'll be like insomniac. they'll have to find themselves a publisher and whoever they find might force them to change their ideas. like insomnaics overstrike to fuse. No third party publisher in their right minds would of let The last of us come out this gen, they would of forced them to push it to next gen. Sony lets their studios do what they want, so why bother looking for another publisher. Sticking with Sony would allow them to use the full power of a console..not bring it down to the weakest link.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Don't know why anyone would be against this unless they are a Sony fanboy and wish for their games to only remain on a Sony system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom