• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sick Destiny Player Reaches Lighthouse Before Dying, Thanks To His Friends

It isn't about you. It's what HE wanted.

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and assume that he meant that the gentleman wasn't hard up to get to the lighthouse but thought it would be a cool thing to do. I'm assuming the posters umbrage comes from a place where he feels they may have embellished the events importance in his life to tell a story.
Either way it was great of the community to support his family by donating!

My brother encountered a similar situation when he was playing Destiny. He had his raid buddies and one of them was fighting terminal cancer. Bungie announced the big expansion like a year ago and while they were discussing the new DLC the cancer patient told them that he will probably not make it before it launched. A few weeks later he stopped logging in to his account. My brother and the other players were very sad. This happens more often than most people expect.

Threads like these annoy me for some reason. Maybe it's because it relates a deathwish to gaming (a sedentary hobby) which bothers me. I see gaming as a fun distraction so making his death about reaching some trivial lighthouse is off-putting. To me, cancer is one of those things where you're at the end of it and we all know a cancer death isn't pleasant so you won't be gaming at the end either way. It's a good thing pain killers exist and at least his suffering is over.

I never had cancer but several of my family have had it and a few have passed from it. When the treatment sucks all the energy from your body, when your mind is ravaged by the thoughts of death, trivial accomplishments in other times become lifelong dreams. It's all relative. What does not matter for you matters for him because your circumstances are completely different. These goals no matter what they are keep the spirit alive and god knows that these people need that as much as the treatment when they're close to death's door.

On that note, I'm sad that a good person has left us, but I'm glad that he seemed to have kept his spirit to the end. My deepest condolences to his family.

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and assume that he meant that the gentleman wasn't hard up to get to the lighthouse but thought it would be a cool thing to do. I'm assuming the posters umbrage comes from a place where he feels they may have embellished the events importance in his life to tell a story.
Either way it was great of the community to support his family by donating!

This is spot on with what I was trying to say. Either way I don't like how it's derailing the thread so I'm pulling it back.

My brother encountered a similar situation when he was playing Destiny. He had his raid buddies and one of them was fighting terminal cancer. Bungie announced the big expansion like a year ago and while they were discussing the new DLC the cancer patient told them that he will probably not make it before it launched. A few weeks later he stopped logging in his account. My brother and the other players were very sad. This happens more often than most people expect.

Sorry to hear man. That stinks. I think of Yukki in SAO.

RedFury

My brother encountered a similar situation when he was playing Destiny. He had his raid buddies and one of them was fighting terminal cancer. Bungie announced the big expansion like a year ago and while they were discussing the new DLC the cancer patient told them that he will probably not make it before it launched. A few weeks later he stopped logging in to his account. My brother and the other players were very sad. This happens more often than most people expect.
Yes, and it is very sad. Used to do raids, etc with gaffer Drizzay, he was a good dude. Helped me through my first raid. When he passed away so suddenly despite not ever meeting him in person it shook me pretty good. Little after that outright stopped playing destiny.

For us non-Destiny playing folks, what's the Lighthouse? Is it an especially difficult place to reach?
To the average non skilled player like myself, it's a special location that unlocks after winning several elimination PvP matches with out a single loss. When you arrive there is a giant chest that grants awards that give you gear and weapons that the typical player will never have. There is no way to get these weapons otherwise. They don't drop in raids and xur doesn't sell them. I never been to the lighthouse myself but I heard it's a great honour.

giphy.gif

1333508561747763302.gif

Matticers

Would be cool if they named a character after him in Destiny 2. Even if it's something like a background character in a grimoire story or whatever.

The Destiny community can be pretty awesome, though. It's a game that really brings people together in a fun, positive way.

To the average non skilled player like myself, it's a special location that unlocks after winning several elimination PvP matches with out a single loss. When you arrive there is a giant chest that grants awards that give you gear and weapons that the typical player will never have. There is no way to get these weapons otherwise. They don't drop in raids and xur doesn't sell them. I never been to the lighthouse myself but I heard it's a great honour.

giphy.gif

1333508561747763302.gif

Thanks for the info. It sounds like some serious shit, glad he got there.

hydruxo

The Destiny community is one of the greatest and most welcoming communities for a game that I've ever been a part of. I made it to the lighthouse twice, and it was an incredible moment both times for me, so I can't even imagine how Mike must've felt having wanted to get there for so long. Happy that he got to experience that while he still could.

Top Bottom