• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sierra Leone's chief Ebola doctor contracts the virus (Up: has passed away)

Status
Not open for further replies.
LHgU5z4.jpg

Reuters said:
(Reuters) - The head doctor fighting the deadly tropical virus Ebola in Sierra Leone has himself caught the disease, the president's office said.

The 39-year-old Sheik Umar Khan, hailed as a "national hero" by the health ministry, was leading the fight to control an outbreak that has killed 206 people in the West African country.

There is no cure or vaccine for Ebola which can kill up to 90 percent of those infected, although the mortality rate of the current outbreak is lower at around 60 percent.

Across Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone, 632 people have died from the illness, according to the latest World Health Organisation (WHO) data, putting great strain on the health systems of some of Africa's poorest countries.

The WHO report, released on Saturday, showed that there were 19 new deaths and 67 new cases within the four days since its previous statement.

Khan, a Sierra Leonean virologist credited with treating more than 100 Ebola victims, has been transferred to a treatment ward run by medical charity Medecins Sans Frontieres, according to a statement released late on Tuesday by the president's office.

A source at the ward confirmed that the doctor was alive and receiving treatment, but gave no details of his condition.

Health Minister Miatta Kargbo called Khan a national hero and said she would "do anything and everything in my power to ensure he survives".

It was not immediately clear how Khan had caught the virus. His colleagues told Reuters that he was always meticulous with protection, wearing overalls, mask, gloves and special footwear.

During a Reuters visit to the Kenema treatment centre in eastern Sierra Leone in late June, Khan said he had installed a mirror in his office, which he called his "policeman", to check for holes or exposure before entering an isolation ward.

Nevertheless, Khan said he was worried about contracting Ebola. "I am afraid for my life, I must say, because I cherish my life," he said in an interview, showing no signs of ill health at the time.

"Health workers are prone to the disease because we are the first port of call for somebody who is sickened by disease. Even with the full protective clothing you put on, you are at risk."

Three days ago, three nurses working in the same Ebola treatment centre alongside Khan died from the disease.

The Ebola outbreak started in Guinea's remote southeast in February and has since spread across the region. Symptoms of the highly infectious disease are diarrhoea, vomiting and internal and external bleeding.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/07/23/us-health-ebola-africa-idUSKBN0FS10T20140723

His chances of survival are very poor but I can only hope he pulls through. I suppose we'll know one way or the other really soon. But what a hero. Few have the heart or strength to wake up every morning and walk into the environment of a bug as scary as Ebola in a relatively uncontrolled environment (compared to something like the CDC) and fight for the lives of these people. I fear the opportunity to give him his due praise may be fleeting.

shuri

Banned
This is awful! I hope he survives even if the chances are low. This man sacrified his life to save the lives of many many more. He is a hero.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Oh wow that situation gets worse by the second :\

I don't think we've seen a single ounce of good news come our way about this outbreak.

Wow... that is scary. With a potential 90% rate of death.... I dont think I could do what he did. A true hero!

This does make me think that this outbreak is only getting started.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
If there's a heaven, this man already did more than enough to earn his place in it.

Fucking depressing news. I hope he pulls through.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Yup, this is one of the rare cases where we put up the term Hero in it's true meaning - selflessly putting one's in harm way for the greater group's benefit.
I don't usually believe in Karma, but please work out just this once.

Skyzard

Banned
Good luck to the man. I'm sure many thousands will appreciate what he has (hopefully just almost) sacrificed, done and tried to do.

My sympathy to the nurses and who died, and their families. Takes a lot of compassion and courage to do what they did.

During a Reuters visit to the Kenema treatment centre in eastern Sierra Leone in late June, Khan said he had installed a mirror in his office, which he called his "policeman", to check for holes or exposure before entering an isolation ward.

That seems a little chintzy for a medical professional. I would figure they'd use pressurized air to check for leaks.

NateDog

That really is quite sad, I hope he pulls through, really is a wonderful person for putting himself at such risk to try and help those suffering with this and to try and find some sort of cure for it.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Well. Its been nice knowing everyone. Btw if you trespass on my property to try to steal my canned tuna I WILL hit you with a rake. *edit* Sad to see he passed. RIP.

CREMSteve

He took all the precautions... Yet still contracted the disease. If this strain has adapted and become airborn, we're all fucked.

El Odio

Banned
Just reading about all the stuff as a result of this outbreak is really unnerving. A shame that this guy had to be it's latest victim too. Things are probably only gonna get worse in the infected area now.

Shaanyboi

Banned
R.I.P.

This fucking virus... What the hell can possibly be done about this thing? Just... fuck... Didn't stop this guy from fighting it though. Damn.

DSKMan

Banned
Sad multiple healthcare workers have already been infected, and they take so many precautions. Very commendable for these doctors and their staff over there to be doing what they are.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Others have said it, but this man is a real hero. Everyone who voluntarily deals with this virus in an effort to save the lives of others is a fucking hero, no questions asked. What unbelievable courage. RIP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom