• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill 2 Remake Steam Updates Hint At Incoming News

Draugoth

Gold Member
According to SteamDB, Silent Hill 2's Steam page has been updated several times in the last month, with changes being made to the page throughout September. Those changes seem relatively minor in the grand scheme of things, but do show that Konami is cooking something in the background.

Recently Bloober Team made some updates to the Steam database that were listed by SteamDB. And it was in this update that support for Brazilian Portuguese and Ukranian languages, as well as support for Steam achievements.

Although the Steam page still lists Silent Hill 2 as "coming soon", the fact that the store page is being updated as frequently as it is does imply that development is progressing smoothly and that the game could be closer to release than we previously thought, especially if Konami is ready to confirm the game's supported languages.

Last edited:
To quote Silent Hill creature designer Masahiro Ito: "At least the sales of Silent Hill 2 was really not good start in Japan. It was often insulted on the Internet because it was not a legitimate sequel to the previous one and its direction of creature design was really different from the previous Silent Hill's."

I wonder..... The OG game was not really that popular, even hated in Japan.
Don’t know about the sales in Japan, but outside of Japan it was the most popular in the series. Personally, I would have preferred a remake of 1 since it just needs a remake so much more. Just did a full play through of 2 some months ago and that is perfectly enjoyable even without a remake.

I just hope bloober is not messing it up, I hope they can make a better game if they just need to update the tech.

bender

What time is it?
I just hope bloober is not messing it up, I hope they can make a better game if they just need to update the tech.
giphy.gif

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
According to SteamDB, Silent Hill 2's Steam page has been updated several times in the last month, with changes being made to the page throughout September. Those changes seem relatively minor in the grand scheme of things, but do show that Konami is cooking something in the background.

Recently Bloober Team made some updates to the Steam database that were listed by SteamDB. And it was in this update that support for Brazilian Portuguese and Ukranian languages, as well as support for Steam achievements.

Although the Steam page still lists Silent Hill 2 as "coming soon", the fact that the store page is being updated as frequently as it is does imply that development is progressing smoothly and that the game could be closer to release than we previously thought, especially if Konami is ready to confirm the game's supported languages.

If they have achievements, then I expect this game this year, some time... hopefully. Possibly... soon.

Don’t know about the sales in Japan, but outside of Japan it was the most popular in the series. Personally, I would have preferred a remake of 1 since it just needs a remake so much more. Just did a full play through of 2 some months ago and that is perfectly enjoyable even without a remake.

I just hope Bloober is not messing it up, I hope they can make a better game if they just need to update the tech.
Is the most significant/important for sure, but it was criticized because it was not a straight sequel, and people wanted more about the cult.

That game has a very weird vibe aslo; it feels like perfection. The technical aspects just enhance the oneiric vibe it has.

in terms of design, is also very interesting. it dosen't feel like a commercial product at all.

I remember some kind of drama from western devs around Elden Ring for its UX/UI design and also just recently some drama about a yellow ladder in RE4.

I think certain aspects such as:
  • No waypoints.
  • No check marks.
  • Character head turning to communicate the presence of an item/enemy.
  • A clean screen overall.
added to the immersion and sense of uncertainty while exploring. Nowadays, developers use waypoints, checklists, blinking shiny objects, or detective vision as a crutch for poor level design and to prevent players from feeling lost or frustrated

In the case of yellow ladders or yellow cues in the environment (a more subtle solution than blinking shiny objects, for example), elements such as volumetric lighting and a better composition between light and darkness (tonal values) can greatly help communicate directions and opportunities for traversal and interaction.

so, my "fear or concern" would be that the remake is devoid of ambition to set new standards for communication/language between the game and the player.

Erebus

It's almost a year since the initial trailer reveal, I'm wondering if there's any chance we will receive an official update before the end of this month.

MiguelItUp

Updates are updates, at this point people are clamoring for any kind of crumb, so of course this "news" is spreading, lol.

I bet this game will make everyone say “damn!” and respect bloober
I'm hoping so. I'm stuck in a position of hesitance and caution. Silent Hill 2 means a great deal to me, so while I hope it's going to deliver and then some, I'm keeping any and every expectation to an absolute minimum.

poodaddy

Observer ?
This. The Observer is fantastic, and the original Layers of Fear is better than people want to admit today for some reason. Blair Witch wasn't God awful, though it wasn't great. The Medium was somehow compelling enough to finish, but the voice acting and story are pretty bad. Technically speaking though, it's quite impressive.

Last edited:
Top Bottom