• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silicon Studio bringing middleware and engines to Nintendo Switch

CamHostage

GAF said:
Dark Souls?

GAF said:

GAF said:
Dark Souls port?

GAF said:
Wait, what, Dark Souls...

GAF said:
SOULS!??!?

I'm not sure how this thread became the Dark Souls port-beg thread, but DS uses one aspect of Silicon Studio's technology: the post-processing middleware. That franchise is not on Silicon Studio's engine, it's not using their renderer, it's just using it's glossy effects system (which is slathered over just about everything good-looking out of Japan not on UE4, BTW.) So maybe calm down with the Souls nonsense, there's nothing in this announcement that makes DS any more likely to come over.

Something to talk about instead is the upcoming Granzella game, City Shrouded in Shadow. It uses the OROCHI/YEBIS tech combo, and is a PS4 game that's well in line with Switch specs (it's planned for co-release on Vita.) City Shrouded is also a Bandai Namco game, and I could see them adding Switch to the platform plans if PS exclusivity isn't vital to the launch plan. The game is this disaster-survival game (from the makers of Disaster Report) of giant kaiju attacking a city, and it will have (in its Japanese release, at least) bonus giant monsters including Ultraman, Godzilla, and Evangelion characters.

City-Shrouded-Shadow_02-25-16_007.jpg

Hmmm FROM worked with Silicon Studios on 3D Dot Game Heroes, that would amazing to see brought back. Fantastic take on classic Zelda formula. Could be what that Switch 3rd party slide indicated, I think that was built with Silicon Studios middleware as well

3D Dot Game Heroes would be dope as heck on Switch. (Fromsoft BTW published it, but 3D Dot was entirely made internally by Silicon Studio.)

I'm not sure why Silicon Studio never brought that anywhere else, though? They seem to be in no hurry to resurrect it (nothing stopped them from porting it to PS4, Wii U, Vita, mobile, or whatever all these years.) Silicon has had a relationship with Nintendo already (Bravely and Ocopath) so I keep seeing 3D Dot being an obvious release on a Nintendo platform but it never happens.

Fisty

Hmmm FROM worked with Silicon Studios on 3D Dot Game Heroes, that would amazing to see brought back. Fantastic take on classic Zelda formula. Could be what that Switch 3rd party slide indicated, I think that was built with Silicon Studios middleware as well

I would love to see this series get more love.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I'm not sure how this thread became the Dark Souls port-beg thread, but DS uses one aspect of Silicon Studio's technology: the post-processing middleware. That franchise is not on Silicon Studio's engine, it's not using their renderer, it's just using it's glossy effects system (which is slathered over just about everything good-looking out of Japan not on UE4, BTW.) So maybe calm down with the Souls nonsense, there's nothing in this announcement that makes DS any more likely to come over.

Something to talk about instead is the upcoming Granzella game, City Shrouded in Shadow. It uses the OROCHI/YEBIS tech combo, and is a PS4 game that's well in line with Switch specs (it's planned for co-release on Vita.) City Shrouded is also a Bandai Namco game, and I could see them adding Switch to the platform plans if PS exclusivity isn't vital to the launch plan. The game is this disaster-survival game (from the makers of Disaster Report) of giant kaiju attacking a city, and it will have (in its Japanese release, at least) bonus giant monsters including Ultraman, Godzilla, and Evangelion characters.

City-Shrouded-Shadow_02-25-16_007.jpg

3D Dot Game Heroes would be dope as heck on Switch. (Fromsoft BTW published it, but 3D Dot was entirely made internally by Silicon Studio.)

I'm not sure why Silicon Studio never brought that anywhere else, though? They seem to be in no hurry to resurrect it (nothing stopped them from porting it to PS4, Wii U, Vita, mobile, or whatever all these years.) Silicon has had a relationship with Nintendo already (Bravely and Ocopath) so I keep seeing 3D Dot being an obvious release on a Nintendo platform but it never happens.

...Oh God, I sincerly forgot about City Shrouded in Shadow. It's a title that was announced ages ago, I didn't realise it hasn't been released yet, the heck happened O___O

EDarkness

Are you all ready for World of FF Switch with exclusive appearance by Layle?

Oh! That would be badass. I'd pick up that game (even though I think it looks dumb) just to support Layle in another game. That guy is cool as hell and deserves more exposure.

CamHostage

...Oh God, I sincerly forgot about City Shrouded in Shadow. It's a title that was announced ages ago, I didn't realise it hasn't been released yet, the heck happened O___O

I think they jumped when Granzella had a chance to rescue Zettai Zetsumei Toshi 4 (aka Disaster Report 4) and move it to PS4, years after developer Irem (which Granzella broke off from) chose to abandon it following the 2011 earthquake/tsunami in Japan. Zettai Zetsumei Toshi 4 Summer Memories is due out this year (a demo was planned but postponed, and VR is being put in), so hopefully once that's done City Shrouded in Shadow will be back on track.

(And although I'm a Vita fanboy, I kind of hope Bandai Namco redoes the platforms of City Shrouded in Shadow to PS4 and Switch instead of PS4/PSV, as I'm worried how much the little Vita will struggle with this game; Switch would be a better portable outlet, and now some of the pieces are in place to make that happen thanks to this engine announcement if they chose to...)

Top Bottom