• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silicon Valley home prices hit record high

Status
Not open for further replies.

GamerJM

Banned
Man this is going to be ridiculous for me

Ah well, I guess I can just live with my parents and save all my money until they pass away since I'm probably never going to get married so there's little incentive for me to move out.

UltraMav

Ah well, I guess I can just live with my parents and save all my money until they pass away since I'm probably never going to get married so there's little incentive for me to move out.

Ladies and gentleman, The Millennial.

I'm all for free market, but I'm strictly against foreign investment/money in the American housing market. If your not a citizen or a green card holder you shouldn't be allowed to own residential property.

tokkun

I have a few friends in the Valley. All of them are making 6-figure salaries at tech jobs, and all of them are living in small places with roommates.

Archer

My fave story I have about housing in Silicon Valley was that I was going to lunch with a CFO of a rather large company. We were driving to the lunch place in his stunning new convertible porsche. I said, "So, do you live in the city?" to which he gave me an honestly stunned look and said, "Just who the hell do you think I am?! I don't have that kind of money!!"

image.php

Basically what I'm doing. Luckily for me the room I have at my parents house is fairly secluded and private or I'd lose my mind.

I help out with the bills, paying much less than I would elsewhere, and have just been saving up. Eventually hopefully I'll have enough to put a down payment on a 1 bedroom condo for $450k lol.

Any other state and I would be doing quite well :/

I'm not one for wishing bad things but a correction in value has to be inevitable right? The economy does move in cycles...

HoTHiTTeR

True, but prices have skyrocketed in the past 2-3 years particularly.
My SO and I just closed on our first home. We were looking anywhere between $350k-$400k in the Sacramento region. Both of our parents told us to offer below listing price, that was how it's done; negotiate starting way below listing. We both realize this was not realistic in the market here locally. We ended up offering on our first bid 104% to list price, and were quickly outbid. The second listing we offered 103% of list, and we were countered with a 60 day FREE rent-back post COE term from the seller. A joke. The third offer we made was her favorite house of them all, and we came in at 103%. but asked them to pay all fees. I thought we were very lucky to get the house and it is in amazing condition. the worst thing on the home inspection cost about $60 to fix. Best of all, the house appraised at about 105% of the listing price. Crazy ass market in Cali.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Which has only been a complete disaster everywhere it has been tried.

Even the most die hard leftist at this point should be able to admit that price controls are a failed concept. Shit has been tried over and over since Diocletian, and the result is always shortages.

Actually, no, and price fixing has worked plenty of times.

The trick is that a price fix is the solution to a case of speculation \ monopoly against an inflexible demand (eg. grain, health care), not a case of simple demand > supply.

History is littered with merchants letting grain rot rather than sell it and restore true market price, and is also littered with their blood splattered against a wall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom