• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SimCity a disaster for you? Take a look at Cities: Skylines (not related to CitiesXL)

Psykoboy2

I just got my review code so I'll be playing some tonight.

I think we already know these things but here's what I was told in the email:

Embargo for review articles/videos is March 10, 2015 at 15.00 CET / 6am PST.

Embargo for Let’s Play videos and streaming is March 3, 2015 at 15.00 CET / 6am PST.

Embargo for Let’s Play videos and streaming is March 3, 2015 at 15.00 CET / 6am PST.

What? The review embargo ends on release day? Now I'm worried.

What's the difference between a let's play video and a review video? The score?

Psykoboy2

What's the difference between a let's play video and a review video? The score?

Not sure, but I guess I could ask them.

My guess would be that Let's Plays are general first impressions and "here's a bunch of stuff you can do in the game". Less a critique of the game and more of just playing it outright.

And review videos would be focused on critiquing the game, giving a score or an opinion. Something along those lines, but I really have no idea.

Seanspeed

Banned
We had a thread that debunked the whole 'review embargo on release day is because of bad game/lack of confidence in product' thing. Its simply become regular practice.

If they wanted to hide a crappy game from us, they wouldn't be showing us so much of it.

We had a thread that debunked the whole 'review embargo on release day is because of bad game/lack of confidence in product' thing. Its simply become regular practice.

If they wanted to hide a crappy game from us, they wouldn't be showing us so much of it.

I just don't remember Paradox doing that before (but maybe they did and I just forgot). But it's also true they've been showing a lot of stuff.

I just hope the game is going to be good. I need a good city-builder!

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I can't say too much, because the embargo and blah blah blah, but maybe I can say something not technical:
The twitter thing is annoying

But there's so much Sim City 4 that almost made me cry. There's also some Sim City 2013 and I like this too.

The bird thing doesn't worry me so much, I'm much more concerned with gameplay mechanics and the simulation. I won't ask you for more details because of the review embargo, but man do I envy you!

They've said they didn't want any early reviews because they are going to be adding and tweaking stuff all the way up to release and they didn't want any reviews based on incomplete versions. They were very transparent about it, and I can understand that.

Psykoboy2

They've said they didn't want any early reviews because they are going to be adding and tweaking stuff all the way up to release and they didn't want any reviews based on incomplete versions. They were very transparent about it, and I can understand that.

Very true. The email goes on to say:
Now, some things to keep in mind about the game as we continue to tinker with the build up to launch:

- It is being polished for Mac/Linux (Windows is the most polished of the three OS at the moment)
- Modding tools are getting tweaks and likely you will see improvements ahead of launch
- Small changes are being done to the "unlimited money" and "unlock all buildings" options to make them more visible

That's very good! Thanks :)

Giever

Boo, I pre-ordered it w/ GMG VIP for like 23.39 earlier, and now it's $1.50 cheaper. :p

Hasn't even come out yet!

Boo, I pre-ordered it w/ GMG VIP for like 23.39 earlier, and now it's $1.50 cheaper. :p

Hasn't even come out yet!

BOMBA CONFIRMED.

But seriously, that's really strange. I too picked it up at the VIP price, it usually doesn't get CHEAPER this close to release. It is at the top of GMG's sales list at least, so hopefully the game is doing well for Paradox/CO.

Is it tuesday yet? how about now?

dLMN8R

I cannot comprehend why someone would preorder a Paradox game, let alone a Paradox game that promises to do with Maxis was incapable of doing.

Mengy

I cannot comprehend why someone would preorder a Paradox game, let alone a Paradox game that promises to do with Maxis was incapable of doing.

Because, it looks good by the videos we've seen, the feature set is great, the developer dialogue has been excellent, and it's getting great word of mouth from people who have hands on with it already?

Or, we are all just starving for a new and good city builder, LOL! For the record I've not bought it yet, but after tomorrow's video swamping I may just cave...

spiritfox

Because it's not a Paradox Game Studio game, and Colossal Order's games had been stable and bug free in their releases? And that they have been very transparent about showing their game so far? It's not like EA Maxis is some great studio. It's certainly not the Maxis of old.

Can I get some impressions of the Mac and Linux builds compared to the Windows build? Or is that embargoed too?

Watching this with LOTS of interest.

Not going to pre-order, but I'll grab it within the first week or two if the user impressions are solid.

Gagging for a decent city builder.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Ooh if this is successful maybe Colossal Order can make a Sim Earth type game! They can be the new Maxis. A Maxiser Maxis.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT

CK2 and EU4 were pretty solid at launch. They're nowhere near as bad as they used to be.

Also note this is a Paradox published game as opposed to being the main developer, Colossal Order is the dev.

jtb

Banned

Do you have a link for that interview session you did with the developers?

Mengy

Is that in 3 hours?

I want to know the complaints too

Honestly, the complaints are what I'm most interested in too. Especially with regard to how major / minor they are. I already know what looks good, but I have no idea what is bad at this point. I've heard more than a couple people gripe about that tweet bird in the upper middle of the screen, but I don't think that's going to bother me all that much. And I'm sure that will be modded at some point anyway, lol.

Honestly, the complaints are what I'm most interested in too. Especially with regard to how major / minor they are. I already know what looks good, but I have no idea what is bad at this point. I've heard more than a couple people gripe about that tweet bird in the upper middle of the screen, but I don't think that's going to bother me all that much. And I'm sure that will be modded at some point anyway, lol.

Im thinking screen tearing might be an issue

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
What's the twitter thing that may or may not be problematic?

There's a blue bird icon in the top center of the screen that is supposed to be akin to Twitter. Your citizens will tweet out messages that alert you to the state of your city. They'll complain or praise you on social media.

It's a fairly clever way of merging real life and gameplay to convey information to the player, but some people who have and have not played the game say that it's annoying.

I think it's neat, but I can see the potential for it to be annoying. I'll withhold judgement until I play the game.

bjaelke

xCMYxkg.png

cJhwKww.png

Someone added a couple of new intersections to the Steam workshop.
Is that in 3 hours?

7h40m from now.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

Ooooh, that one is pretty neat. I was able to make that in SimCity only after a year of patches and heavy modding. This game will have it out of the gate. Oh, Maxis.

Is it just me, or do the road textures in City Skylines look a little...flat? Bland? Like plastic? I can't really put my finger on it, but they don't look as nice as I imagine roads to look in my head.

spiritfox

Ooooh, that one is pretty neat. I was able to make that in SimCity only after a year of patches and heavy modding. This game will have it out of the gate. Oh, Maxis.

Is it just me, or do the road textures in City Skylines look a little...flat? Bland? Like plastic? I can't really put my finger on it, but they don't look as nice as I imagine roads to look in my head.

It's the same textures as CiM2. Hopefully we can change the textures through mods like Simcity 4.

Klyka

Banned
The game cost me 17€ and from all the videos it definitely is worth it.

Hell, I bought SimCity for 4€ and have fun with it.

I can't see how one shouldn't buy this game for such a low price.

Rootbeer

Banned

Cool so there could be streams 3 hours from now...

Anyone know of any scheduled?

Pinktaco

Honestly? For the price I paid on GMG it doesn't have to be that much better than Simcity (which I got at launch) to be worth it. It cannot possibly be wors, no wa. Hell what I saw from Sips is already an improvement improvement. I'm very sure I can crank out enough enjoyment for the money I payed to not care too much. Unless of course we're talking about game breaking Bugs and stuff like that.

Now I'm not saying that I'm willing to buy broken games, but for the price paid and if I can get 20-40 hours of enjoyment I'd say money was spent well.

All they have to do compared to simcity (imo) is improve traffic and how the AI worked and make bigger cities. From what I can tell one of those have already been cleared.

Top Bottom