• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SimCity a disaster for you? Take a look at Cities: Skylines (not related to CitiesXL)

GeoGonzo

yeah i've been watching it all morning. this stream made me preorder my first steam game ever too. that 33% off gmg deal.
So the gmg VIP offer is a steam code, then? I was just looking at the game in my checkout basket but I saw no mention of Steam and didn't want to end up with an Origin code or something so I didn't pull the trigger.

So the gmg VIP offer is a steam code, then? I was just looking at the game in my checkout basket but I saw no mention of Steam and didn't want to end up with an Origin code or something so I didn't pull the trigger.

I believe every copy of this game runs on Steam. Does Paradox release non-Steamworks games?

I really like the charm of the sim city series, one of the reason that SimCity is such a disaster, as there are no comparable games out there.

What's the general feel/tone of this?

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Any chance a laptop with an i7 and dedicated graphics card (low end Nvidia) from 2 years ago will run this thing :(

2gz i7 and a Gforce 840m

I'm boned :(

Grief.exe

The majority of games these days are released as Steamworks, though there are some exceptions to be aware of (Ubisoft, EA, Rockstar, Telltale, etc).

Always make sure to double check the page before purchase, it is generally plastered all over the page. As an aside, you can also check the GAF steam thread for more information on Steamworks availability, region locking, etc.

iMznbMl.png

Xando

Any chance a laptop with an i7 and dedicated graphics card (low end Nvidia) from 2 years ago will run this thing :(

2gz i7 and a Gforce 840m

I'm boned :(
From Steam:

MINIMUM:
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo, 3.0GHz or AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+, 3.2GHz
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Graphics: nVIDIA GeForce GTX 260, 512 MB or ATI Radeon HD 5670, 512 MB
DirectX: Version 9.0c
Network: Broadband Internet connection
Hard Drive: 4 GB available space

RECOMMENDED:
Processor: Intel Core i5-3470, 3.20GHz or AMD FX-6300, 3.5Ghz
Memory: 6 GB RAM
Graphics: nVIDIA GeForce GTX 660, 2 GB or AMD Radeon HD 7870, 2 GB
DirectX: Version 11
Network: Broadband Internet connection
Hard Drive: 4 GB available space

DEO3

If you use a coupon to get the game for like twenty bucks instead of thirty, does that mean developers get less money, or just the retailer? I'd like to support Colossal Order as much as possible.

Grief.exe

If you use a coupon to get the game for like twenty bucks instead of thirty, does that mean developers get less money, or just the retailer? I'd like to support Colossal Order as much as possible.

Retailers generally takes a 20-30% cut of the sale. GMG cuts their profit margin in order to bring in more consumers, they are also a very small company so their overhead is relatively tiny.

Paradox may have also cut their profit margins by ~10% for pre-release sales as well.

So the processor isn't gonna cut it.

That's sort of what I figured.

What CPU are you running? The minimum seems fairly low.

Psykoboy2

So, for those of you who've been watching the streams for a while now, how annoying in the tweet bird thing?

I noticed it for a while, but now it's no longer distracting to me. Still, when a mod or option comes along to disable it - it's going away immediately.

So, for those of you who've been watching the streams for a while now, how annoying in the tweet bird thing?

I noticed it for a while, but now it's no longer distracting to me. Still, when a mod or option comes along to disable it - it's going away immediately.
I like it, but I'd prefer it to be on the left.

Man watching this quill stream holy shit

his intersections and on-ramps are making me cringe something fierce.

i kinda forgot about it at this point. would like to at least move it.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

That's why I'm most likely buying it from GMG tomorrow for $21 and then I'll just gladly buy all and any DLC they come out with.

I watched a vid by both Stumpt and Quill over lunch, can't wait to get home and watch more! Quill has like six vids up already, LOL. The game looks utterly fantastic so far. I'd love to see someone with a huge 9-tile skyscraper city to see what performance is like. Maybe soon.

wit3tyg3r

I'm getting more and more excited for this game.

I do wish there was some kind of day/night option. I can understand that it would be difficult to fit in the simulation since days pass by in a few seconds but the citizens still move a relatively realistic pace.

So, what I propose is a toggle or a switch in the UI that lets you pick different times of day, such as Dawn, Noon, Dusk, and Night. I think this would be immensely awesome to have for screenshot purposes and just for general aesthetics.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Really surprised with 11k people watching Quill's stream right now.

This is crazy, I think this is a very untapped market. EA fucked it up so badly and people have been waiting for something.

Rootbeer

Banned
I should stop watching this... I've seen enough to justify my pre-purchase, which was already made btw. :)

Finally the modern sim game I have been wanting!

Xando

I'm getting more and more excited for this game.

I do wish there was some kind of day/night option. I can understand that it would be difficult to fit in the simulation since days pass by in a few seconds but the citizens still move a relatively realistic pace.

So, what I propose is a toggle or a switch in the UI that lets you pick different times of day, such as Dawn, Noon, Dusk, and Night. I think this would be immensely awesome to have for screenshot purposes and just for general aesthetics.

There was a dev on Quill's stream earlier and she said they'll make a night/day cycle if enough fans want it.

Strider

I'm finding it really annoying actually :/ Didn't think I would because normally I'm not bothered by stuff like that. It's not the sound and constant notifications that are bothering me, it's where it's located on the screen and how much space it takes up when a tweet comes in that is bothering me... along with the repeat of the same phrases. Lost count of how many times someone's vacation got extended....

--

Game overall is looking great though. Really excited for the release as I've already preordered. I've actually never played a city builder like this before. I've played some Tropico and a little Banished but nothing like this where you can actually build really dense areas.

smudge

I'd agree with the untapped market, I was so hyped for sim city but never bought it because of all the bad feedback. Really looking forward to this

The Llama

After watching some videos/streams, my only real complaint is the UI looks a little... I don't really know how to put this, but amateur or cheap. I guess they were going for a minimalist style, but it comes off looking pretty amateur. Rest of the game looks good though.

DEO3

After watching some videos/streams, my only real complaint is the UI looks a little... I don't really know how to put this, but amateur or cheap. I guess they were going for a minimalist style, but it comes off looking pretty amateur. Rest of the game looks good though.

I agree, but then again it's a thirty dollar game developed by like ten people, so I can forgive it. With the game so modable I was hoping to hear to ui would be modable as well, but apparently that isn't the case.

I've been watching Quill's stream for a bit and other than the fact that I find him a terrible city planner the game looks awesome. Does anyone know if there are one way roads? If not that is a major omission.

dejay

Banned
I've been watching Quill's stream for a bit and other than the fact that I find him a terrible city planner the game looks awesome. Does anyone know if there are one way roads? If not that is a major omission.

Plenty of one way roads, from narrow to thick. Highways are in fact two one way roads laid in opposite directions.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

It's certainly not as good looking as Simcity 2013's which had an exceptional UI, but CSL's is decent and very useable. I do wish you could simply move that tweety bird to a corner though, hopefully a mod will let us do that. That's really the biggest complaint I have from what I've seen so far, which in perspective really isn't THAT big a deal. It's a good sign though!

bathsalts

Close to caving on a pre-order, as a civil engineer in real life it seems like it could be fun to be allowed to design a city that isn't stupid as fuck for once.

Top Bottom