• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Simcity, it's actually a very well made game.

Mr_Elysia

This is fine. Love it, love the game with all your heart. Invest a thousand hours into it. Play every single city in a sixteen city region. And then come back and tell people they're stupid and overreacting when the servers are shut down on you.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Every single time someone says "Ignore the always online" fiasco I respond with one simple thing.

2 km sq

Sim Village if we're lucky... the game is so limited that it isn't just the whole 'play with friends' aspect, you can't even get creative. They have made it so you can't actually be creative with Sim City and that is what breaks it.

No, the game isn't well made, it is a terrible farce.

Ushae

Banned
The DRM stuff is bullshit, totally unacceptable. Connected cities I have a mixed feelings about, its both a great thing but also something that many may feel is forced on us.

The game itself is fantastic, smaller cities made me frown at first buy as I played even more I realised there was even more depth in this confined space. And to be honest it may be something that can be expanded upon in later expansion packs.

One thing I really dislike, which I think another poster mentioned is the lack of a sandbox type feel. Always online means ur pretty much fucked if u want to experiment with disasters etc, something I hope they remedy at some point.

Otherwise great game with huge, organisational flaws, but that's just my opinion. *shrugs*

The reason we all hate always online is because its implemented in an extremely shitty way 99% of the time.

Freki

The DRM stuff is bullshit, totally unacceptable. Connected cities I have a mixed feelings about, its both a great thing but also something that many may feel is forced on us.

The game itself is fantastic, smaller cities made me frown at first buy as I played even more I realised there was even more depth in this confined space. And to be honest it may be something that can be expanded upon in later expansion packs.

One thing I really dislike, which I think another poster mentioned is the lack of a sandbox type feel. Always online means ur pretty much fucked if u want to experiment with disasters etc, something I hope they remedy at some point.

Otherwise great game with huge, organisational flaws, but that's just my opinion. *shrugs*

The reason we all hate always online is because its implemented in an extremely shitty way 99% of the time.

Paying money for features that should have been there in the first place... I love this new DLC for everything era...

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I don't think that's right. The reason for the small city size is because of the overly complex simulation system going on in the game. Still, the tiny city size is a crippling flaw in the game. It's a bigger problem than the always online thing IMO.

I used to think so too, but now I'm not so sure. The fact that hey disabled cheetah speed to help the servers cope means that the servers are a bottleneck, not the users' PCs.

Freki

I used to think so too, but now I'm not so sure. The fact that hey disabled cheetah speed to help the servers cope means that the servers are a bottleneck, not the users' PCs.

That's not entirely true - the servers are a bottleneck but not for simulation reason. The problem lies in the need to synchronize your local city state with the state of the city on the servers (similar to an autosave function just online). The faster your game goes the more you need to sync with the servers. Taking out the fastest game speed helped to reduce that load.

krazen

I just can't wrap my mind around the whole apologetic 'The dev is always right' defense where even at this point...where people who purchased the game, can't actually play it!

Think about it...this isn't a buggy game where you get random crashes, or even laggy badly coded multiplayer.

You purchase it, etch out a time to play it after a busy day. you sit down, you click on it, it says 'Nope, can't play me now'...and you've gotta wait around until HOPEFULLY you're able to get to play it later. A GAME! lol. That's where we are in 2013.

And the prevailing idea of the thread is why things will never change..a "Yeah, we know...but dat game still good though!". Who cares if you can't play it! Why are people so apologetic when they are getting abused...wait not even apologetic, DEFENDING the people who are doing it to them.

It's just so sad to see what's happening, and if passes are being given for something as basic as not being able to play a game 'just because', it's going to be ugly in the future.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
That's not entirely true - the servers are a bottleneck but not for simulation reason. The problem lies in the need to synchronize your local city state with the state of the city on the servers (similar to an autosave function just online). The faster your game goes the more you need to sync with the servers. Taking out the fastest game speed helped to reduce that load.

But isn't it? The servers are also doing a validation to make sure that you aren't cheating, so wouldn't they have to run the simulation on the servers as well in order to do that?

MrBud360

Yes it its. I'm playing right now. Had a first try problem with an server, tried the other one and it worked. Great game so far. Now i will go back to Gemini Rue.

Ronok

While it's obviously not the same experience as previous SimCity games, and the DRM is shit, I'm actually having a really good time. I played for a good 5 hours yesterday, taking my first city to peak mining and now deep into the downturn. Saying that I've got 80000 residents, a ton of skyscrapers, and I'm still making money. The challenge now is to take the money I've saved and keep the city going. I'm not sure whether I'll turn it into a purely residential area for another city, or I'll have a go taking the city into some other specialization. Either way my city is going to need some serious rethinking.
The experience has been really fun so far. The complaints about the city size seem a bit strange to me. I don't know if it's a lack of understanding of the game or what. While you're actually playing it's clear that a single city is not all you're working with. Whether you do it by yourself, with friends, or strangers, the entire region is what you're meant to be looking at. If you're trying to go it alone with a single city block you're going to fail.

I have run into some very strange problems though. First of which is DRM related. When I first received the game yesterday (UK release) I quickly jumped into my friends game and took a plot of land next to his before starting to build my city. For some reason though I had inherited all the digital deluxe stuff from his game. Well that didn't last long anyway because the servers went down. I expected my city to be gone and to start anew, but actually that land is now vacant unclaimable by anyone. Frustrating.
Another problem is with strange road overlapping errors. You can't place road because the game thinks there is another road there, but there isn't. The flow of traffic is also pretty ridiculous at times.
The absolute worst problem though (DRM aside) is the insistence on forcing me to do the tutorial every time I connect to a new server. I can find no way to skip it and it drives me insane. That's it.

Overall really good game, the servers are frustrating at the moment, but when I'm actually able to play it's all good. :) It does feel strange that people sound almost surprised that there is server issues though. It happens with pretty much every popular online only game at release. This is not defending the problem, I'm just saying you should expect it and certainly not buy games like this at release if you aren't willing to deal with the problems. It no one any favours. I for one would have waited if it wasn't a birthday present.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
While it's obviously not the same experience as previous SimCity games, and the DRM is shit, I'm actually having a really good time. I played for a good 5 hours yesterday, taking my first city to peak mining and now deep into the downturn. Saying that I've got 80000 residents, a ton of skyscrapers, and I'm still making money. The challenge now is to take the money I've saved and keep the city going. I'm not sure whether I'll turn it into a purely residential area for another city, or I'll have a go taking the city into some other specialization. Either way my city is going to need some serious rethinking.
The experience has been really fun so far. The complaints about the city size seem a bit strange to me. I don't know if it's a lack of understanding of the game or what. While you're actually playing it's clear that a single city is not all you're working with. Whether you do it by yourself, with friends, or strangers, the entire region is what you're meant to be looking at. If you're trying to go it alone with a single city block you're going to fail.

I have run into some very strange problems though. First of which is DRM related. When I first received the game yesterday (UK release) I quickly jumped into my friends game and took a plot of land next to his before starting to build my city. For some reason though I had inherited all the digital deluxe stuff from his game. Well that didn't last long anyway because the servers went down. I expected my city to be gone and to start anew, but actually that land is now vacant unclaimable by anyone. Frustrating.
Another problem is with strange road overlapping errors. You can't place road because the game thinks there is another road there, but there isn't. The flow of traffic is also pretty ridiculous at times.
The absolute worst problem though (DRM aside) is the insistence on forcing me to do the tutorial every time I connect to a new server. I can find no way to skip it and it drives me insane. That's it.

Overall really good game, the servers are frustrating at the moment, but when I'm actually able to play it's all good. :) It does feel strange that people sound almost surprised that there is server issues though. It happens with pretty much every popular online only game at release. This is not defending the problem, I'm just saying you should expect it and certainly not buy games like this at release if you aren't willing to deal with the problems. It no one any favours. I for one would have waited if it wasn't a birthday present.
It was expected. In fact, that's one of the biggest complaints. Everyone knew that was going to happen, given that the same thing happened with Diablo 3 and Assassin's Creed 2 before. The problem here is that EA simply doesn't give a damn about its customers.

Top Bottom