• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SimCity: Maxis releases video of improved traffic system, talks about mod support

Bumhead

Banned
The idea behind SimCity is a solid one with an interesting new way to interact with others.

It sounds like the game itself, they didn't pull it off great, but you can't really be mad at the game just because they didn't make the game you wanted. If it's not what you wanted then simply don't buy it.

Yeah I agree with this.

The funamental direction of the game is something I'm really enjoying, to the tune of about 23 hours in 3 days, which is more time than I've invested into a new game for years and years.

Not all of that stuff works and there's been some real bullshit said about the game and its necessity to be online, but I'm still enjoying the product I paid for. Maybe it helps that I got it for £19, but still.

On an entirely personal level I'm willing to give Maxis at least some benefit of doubt and look forward to how and when they fix and alter certain things. And if mod support is truly going to be open then even better.

Still trying to load my city for 2 days i started in a zone but it just wont load it.
Ea is so not ready for a download and online only future at least blizzard was doable on the second night to play in diablo 3.

syllogism

That's great, but the fact this was not in the game in the first place is incomprehensible..
There are a lot of very valid complaints about the game and its design, but it doesn't appear to be particularly buggy. Serious issues getting past QA is very common, so I don't think "incomprehensible" is the word you are looking here. It didn't even seem like most of people noticed the issue during the semi-open beta.

vareon

Yeah I agree with this.

The funamental direction of the game is something I'm really enjoying, to the tune of about 23 hours in 3 days, which is more time than I've invested into a new game for years and years.

Not all of that stuff works and there's been some real bullshit said about the game and its necessity to be online, but I'm still enjoying the product I paid for. Maybe it helps that I got it for £19, but still.

On an entirely personal level I'm willing to give Maxis at least some benefit of doubt and look forward to how and when they fix and alter certain things. And if mod support is truly going to be open then even better.

I honestly think the PR hurts this game more than the game itself.

There are a lot of very valid complaints about the game and its design, but it doesn't appear to be particularly buggy. Serious issues getting past QA is very common, so I don't think "incomprehensible" is the word you are looking here. It didn't even seem like most of people noticed the issue during the semi-open beta.

Just look how fast they could correct the traffic bug.
They could have discovered it in beta 1 if they allowed full access to the game and unlimited playtime. And corrected it in beta 2. Because the simulation starts going to the shitter when after like 3~5 hours and population counter reaching 120k + in my experience

KKRT00

Still trying to load my city for 2 days i started in a zone but it just wont load it.
Ea is so not ready for a download and online only future at least blizzard was doable on the second night to play in diablo 3.
Oh come on. You can even track Diablo 3 topic and see how many people cant play for at least 5 days straight from launch in evening hours.

Just look how fast they could correct the traffic bug.
They could have discovered it in beta 1 if they allowed full access to the game and unlimited playtime. And corrected it in beta 2. Because the simulation starts going to the shitter when after like 3~5 hours and population counter reaching 120k + in my experience

This guy made 400k population city without public transportation with L-based streets - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qV6PrEjaH8Q&list=LLLvq9KX4OlKxx5vA-DX3UqQ
Yeah, traffic behavior needs fixing, because its stupid, but You can counter it with Your city design even now.

Lombax

Banned
Maxis can go fuck itself. Maybe that's why the game is a total cluster fuck, they have no competent in house QA.

Or perhaps the QA team was not given enough time with the game during play sessions.
Or perhaps the QA team filed a ton of bugs that were overridden in order to make the ship date.
Or and this may sound crazy, the QA team never had a chance to test on production env prior to ship.

but yeah its probably total incompetence. The only reason I offer these suggestions is because it seems something was up when they limited everyone to 1hour during beta access. Thats just long enough to have some fun, but not really see the issues that the game was shipping with.

ciridesu

I honestly think the PR hurts this game more than the game itself.

You sure? The media coverage and publicity Sim City is getting from this is insane. There are bound to be people who become curious about the game, and through word of mouth, find that the game itself is very fun. I know that happened to me and a few of my friends.

Raven77

Yeah I agree with this.

Not sure if I agree with the whole "If they didn't make the game you wanted then simply don't buy it" idea...

How would people like it if the next COD game was an RTS?

I guess COD fans should just not be mad about that and just not buy it?

They would have every right to be mad, and so do long time SimCity fans...

diffusionx

Gold Member
That's great, but the fact this was not in the game in the first place is incomprehensible..

Eh, it's comprehensible. I once read an article on Gears 2 that stated the issue succintly - they spent 40,000 hours testing the game, which seems like a lot, but gamers put more time in the first hour after release.

The game needed a real, actual, beta test, where people would try out all sorts of things that the developers didn't even think of. I would say that it is incomprehensible that they didn't do that beta test, sure.

Septimius

This guy made 400k population city without public transportation with L-based streets - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qV6PrEjaH8Q&list=LLLvq9KX4OlKxx5vA-DX3UqQ
Yeah, traffic behavior needs fixing, because its stupid, but You can counter it with Your city design even now.

I looked at it, and it looks based off of a false mathematical assumption (an L road connecting back to an avenue is always equally long as the avenue) and a lack of understanding the shortest path-find algorithm. I can't get his city to be working as it does outside of anything besides sheer luck. He's mixing commercial zones with residential, which helps on commuter traffic, but not at all on delivery-truck traffic. Maybe that's OK, since there are more commuters than trucks, but I haven't figured that out yet.

I thought I had figured out how the path-finding algorithm chose between two roads that are equally long - that if it comes to an intersection and finds two of the ways to be equal total distance, it then chooses the one with the longest, uninterrupted road. This seemed consistent for a while, but then my city layout didn't yield the results I wanted. So there's probably a last detail I'm overlooking (like an affinity to continue straight instead of turning).

There are three changes that needs to happen:

1) Weigh the road based on road type. The more I think about it, the harder it seems to do, because it seems the entire game is based on an "agent" not being discriminated against for being a car or an electricity agent. That's annoying. But maybe it still would've worked. Anyway, you report back that a dirt-road is twice the distance (or more, based on testing) as an avenue, and increment the "weight" (or reported length) based on road-type. That way, cars would automatically choose the assumed FASTEST way to get somewhere, not the shortest way.

2) Agents have sinks (a delivery truck delivers goods. A car delivers a sim home - that's a sink), but when they set out to go to their sink, they don't claim the sink they're going for on their outset. This makes it to a race to get to a house first, for all sims, and it looks like a game of musical chairs, and it looks ridiculous.

3) The absolute bonus (and sadly, the only one Maxis is working on, it seems) - load-balancing based on congestion. It will work, but it's kind of silly that 30% will take an adjacent avenue while 70% stand staggering down a street, based still on the completely flawed algorithm of choosing two equally long roads. ALWAYS PICK THE ONE CONSISTING OF AN AVENUE. Gah.

At least that would make us square-city builders incredibly happy.

Eh, it's comprehensible. I once read an article on Gears 2 that stated the issue succintly - they spent 40,000 hours testing the game, which seems like a lot, but gamers put more time in the first hour after release.

The game needed a real, actual, beta test, where people would try out all sorts of things that the developers didn't even think of. I would say that it is incomprehensible that they didn't do that beta test, sure.

It's such a basic problem that ANYONE that tries to build a city runs into, so, it's not an obscure bug, what so ever.

B-Dex

Pretty sad that adding mass transit cripples your roads and causes your whole city to flounder. Don't understand why traffic always prefers the curb lane and barely ever goes around other vehicles.

bobeth

Not sure if I agree with the whole "If they didn't make the game you wanted then simply don't buy it" idea...

How would people like it if the next COD game was an RTS?

I guess COD fans should just not be mad about that and just not buy it?

They would have every right to be mad, and so do long time SimCity fans...

Exactly. They could have called it Sim Region or City with friends and the general opinion would be less harsh. Coming off Sim City 4, there is very little you gain from the new engine (except the graphics), and a ton you lose. Who cares about individual sims and simulated sewage flow if it means you scale back the scope to a fraction of what it was 10 years ago? I think this project was grossly mismanaged, and the result is an insult to the long time fans..

Traffic flow is central to the way you build and manage your city, because the way it's designed affects your services (health, police, fire) and mass transit. I'm not super observant and it took me 5 hours with the game to notice something felt wrong. There is no way this could have gone unnoticed to anyone over at Maxis before this was released.

eznark

Banned
Or perhaps the QA team was not given enough time with the game during play sessions.
Or perhaps the QA team filed a ton of bugs that were overridden in order to make the ship date.
Or and this may sound crazy, the QA team never had a chance to test on production env prior to ship.

but yeah its probably total incompetence. The only reason I offer these suggestions is because it seems something was up when they limited everyone to 1hour during beta access. Thats just long enough to have some fun, but not really see the issues that the game was shipping with.

All of the "or perhaps" that you list still fall into "fuck Maxis."

Maxis hasn't made even a mediocre game in a decade. Maybe time they shoulder a bit of the blame and stop getting the benefit of the doubt?

Top Bottom