• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SimCity Officially Announced: [New 9 Minute Strategy Video]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is that all one region? It seems like quite alot of cities? (does anyone know the city limit on a region?)

I'm not a massive fan of all the empty space, although I think it will only look weird when you max out a city, that is, build on every inch of space. Because then it will surely look all strange and square? Hopefully they bring the regions in a little tighter before launch.

Pandemic

From the SimCity Facebook page,
Naughty or Nice: Will you be naughty and collect a stinking wall of waste with a sewage outflow pipe or be nice and build a sewage treatment plant to clean it all up?
541928_10151336988269866_1370094108_n.png

markot

Banned
Naughty or Nice: Will you be naughty and collect a stinking wall of waste with a sewage outflow pipe or be nice and build a sewage treatment plant to clean it all up?

... there shouldnt be an option if you want to build a good city >.> I mean... wat? Why would people move in if you dont make a nice city...

... there shouldnt be an option if you want to build a good city >.> I mean... wat? Why would people move in if you dont make a nice city...

I assume an outflow pipe is a cheaper solution than the treatment plant. Higher polluting stuff is usually less expensive.

markot

Banned
I assume an outflow pipe is a cheaper solution than the treatment plant. Higher polluting stuff is usually less expensive.

But thats not naughty and nice... I mean you dont start with a coal plant because you are naughty, you do it because its the most affordable and you change it when you can afford to build a cleaner option >.< Naughty and nice presumes the choice made, make a 'bad' city where sewerage over flows... etc... but if you do that, you should lose cause... everyone would leave...

mavs

For reference, They claim the cities are roughly the size of the "medium" cities in SC4. I think that's probably big enough. I'd much rather have a smaller city with deeper simulation than a massive city with SC4's shallow simulation.

Doesn't really sound like it goes any deeper than SC4 in simulating the city itself. Instead they've made a massive, modern, far more complex and autonomous version of Caesar 3. Like they took the MySim mode from SC4 and made a city simulator out of it inside the existing city simulator.

From the PR it seems they had to cut back the existing SC4-style simulation to accommodate the new simulation.

Definity

Hopefully we see some beta news soon. Can't wait to try this out. With the game hitting in March it only makes sense for the beta to hit early Jan. Really interested in the new simulation engine and how that data is presented back to the player visually in game.

Spl1nter

Doesn't really sound like it goes any deeper than SC4 in simulating the city itself. Instead they've made a massive, modern, far more complex and autonomous version of Caesar 3. Like they took the MySim mode from SC4 and made a city simulator out of it inside the existing city simulator.

From the PR it seems they had to cut back the existing SC4-style simulation to accommodate the new simulation.

Thats just bullshit. The transport, work, health systems shown have all been significantly more realistic in replicating a city. The only way you can say such a statement is by forgetting the idiocy of the sc4 transportation system. All there PR is about the integrity of the simulation.

mavs

Thats just bullshit. The transport, work, health systems shown have all been significantly more realistic in replicating a city. The only way you can say such a statement is by forgetting the idiocy of the sc4 transportation system. All there PR is about the integrity of the simulation.

Not seeing it. There are more sources of traffic but I'm not seeing anything else new. And transport is cut down with no highways within city limits and no subways whatsoever. The way sims find jobs seems to have been fixed but not in a way that resembles a real city, thus the Caesar 3 comparison. It's more complex but looks more like a detailed miniature rather than SC4's attempt to paint a huge city in broad strokes.

No idea what you mean by health but that was always the least interesting part of any sim game for me.

Pandemic

I wonder if someone will be able to create more tiles with maps, so rather than having medium maps, a mod will allow us to have large maps... It'll probably be difficult but hopefully it's possible.

So they will have a karma system with Naughty or Nice.
Preorder confirmed.

If they will come out with season pass where we get bigger city dlc for 9.99 i will be happy.

Pandemic

Found a news article released a few days ago on the limited city sizes,
SimCity is shaping up to be one of the best games of next year - and honestly, we never thought we'd catch ourselves saying that.

However, all the fancy new GlassBox tech that has gone into SimCity has imposed a handful of limitations on the game, chief among them being the size of the cities.

At 2 kilometers by 2 kilometers, the individual city spaces in SimCity are about the size of a medium map in SimCity 4, which has lead many to criticise the upcoming simulation game.

Taking part in a Reddit AMA, Maxis developers quelled fears over the size of the game:

"One thing about large cities in SC4," says senior producer Kip Katsarelis, "I often found myself repeating the layout of my city as it grew out. There's basically a formula for where you place buildings and zone to get the right balance."

Not so with the new SimCity, apparently. Katsarelis states that thanks to GlassBox Maxis can include "more variety, more change at local levels" and ensure there's "no "right" way to plan your city."

"It's always changing based on your actions, making that 2kx2k space feel big."

It wasn't all a design decision, however, which Katsarelis admits later on. "We had some performance constraints that factored into the decision. The difference with this SimCity, there's more to do at the city level and more simulation shared between cities, making the multi-city combinations and play mind blowing."

It's the multi-city and in-depth systems working together that really makes SimCity, says Katsarelis, and when they are combined at "both the city and region levels, it adds all new depth to the game. Don't let the size of an individual city box mislead you, it's a big game."

This is all confirmed by Maxis' software engineer Richard Shemaka, who claims that having all these "components all interacting in real-time on a mid-range home computer" is practically a technical marvel.

He later confirms that there are technical limitations, however: each region is restricted to 16 cities because of a "client performance issue".

"The memory required to store information of more cities," states Shamaka, "and the performance required to show even bigger regions and additional cities is too much. 16 was just the number that met the budget."

No doubt mods will be released shortly after the game is released for fans to really let loose on the city sizes, but is that enough? Should Maxis not be working on this itself?
http://www.nowgamer.com/news/1728095/simcity_maxis_explains_limited_city_sizes.html

If you're getting excited for a reboot of SimCity, you'll probably be disappointed.

If you're getting excited for a spinoff of SimCity that's full social and completely online and good to play with buddies, then you'll likely get a solid product and you'll have a good time.

mavs

If you're getting excited for a reboot of SimCity, you'll probably be disappointed.

If you're getting excited for a spinoff of SimCity that's full social and completely online and good to play with buddies, then you'll likely get a solid product and you'll have a good time.

I think reboot is a pretty good word for this. It's like they took everything they learned from all the SimCity games, plus other Maxis games like The Sims and Spore, and went back to make a kickass sequel to SimCity 1 instead of SimCity 4.

lefantome

I've read that you have different land sizes depending on how many neighbors you want.

I want cities who don' look like a 50.000 people european town.

Perkel

Banned
They should name it Sim Village instead of City and about this medium thing. No fucking way medium sized maps were bigger and frankly no one cared about them because playing small city was shitty.

right now i'm waiting when they will announce first microtransactions and new addons: Rush Hour, University life, Late Night, Pets stores, Kate Perry sweets store and omg celebrities and shit.

Angst

I hope the DOF effect in the screens is from photo mode and not actual gameplay. Small cities is a bit worrisome too, think I'll wait for impressions from GAF before picking this up.

10 bucks says within 6 months there'll be a subway dlc and within a year there'll be something called 'sim city metropolis' or 'mega city'.
Gota sell that DLC to the consumer plebs.

Maybe they'll add some terrain editor dlc too if they are feeling 'generous'.

Perkel

Banned
10 bucks says within 6 months there'll be a subway dlc and within a year there'll be something called 'sim city metropolis' or 'mega city'.
Gota sell that DLC to the consumer plebs.

Maybe they'll add some terrain editor dlc too if they are feeling 'generous'.

Oak Tree DLC $0,99

I hate the negativity in this thread as i think this looks all sorts of amazing. The problem as they themselves mentioned with the large cities is you just designed one perfectly working area and replicated it many times to fill the space.

The old sim cities were like you was god, looking down on the city itself. Whilst this reminds me of Roller Coaster Tycoon 3, where you are zoomed in and manage your own little area. Now you can tinker with road junctions. Lots of traffic on one road? Figure out why and try to fix it. Be a real city planner. Compared to previous sim cities where seeing lots of blue cars on a road just generally meant it was busy and had no affect on anything. I could put a highway right through a neighbourhood and it didn't really matter. Here it looks like it does.

I hope traffic jams slow cops/ambulances so you have to factor in stuff like that and how you combine your road layouts. Thats what im really looking forward to, fixing the little areas, adding in parks and seeing how its used. Compared to just making a large city and not really caring about how it works from the ground level.

The small maps won't be a problem as it looks like you can come up with all sorts of fun looking neighbour hoods instead of the typical grid system of old.

weedmt2k.gif

As great as SC2000 was, putting a stadium right next to houses didn't do a thing really.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I hate the negativity in this thread as i think this looks all sorts of amazing. The problem as they themselves mentioned with the large cities is you just designed one perfectly working area and replicated it many times to fill the space.

The old sim cities were like you was god, looking down on the city itself. Whilst this reminds me of Roller Coaster Tycoon 3, where you are zoomed in and manage your own little area. Now you can tinker with road junctions. Lots of traffic on one road? Figure out why and try to fix it. Be a real city planner. Compared to previous sim cities where seeing lots of blue cars on a road just generally meant it was busy and had no affect on anything. I could put a highway right through a neighbourhood and it didn't really matter. Here it looks like it does.

I hope traffic jams slow cops/ambulances so you have to factor in stuff like that and how you combine your road layouts. Thats what im really looking forward to, fixing the little areas, adding in parks and seeing how its used. Compared to just making a large city and not really caring about how it works from the ground level.

The small maps won't be a problem as it looks like you can come up with all sorts of fun looking neighbour hoods instead of the typical grid system of old..

The negativity is somewhat justified, as the city size does look incredibly small from the screens released so far. We are loosing a whole lot of creative freedom as compared to SC4 with regard to city size. Skyscraper cities are just going to look ridiculous unless they haven't shown us something new yet.

Honestly, calling this Sim Town might have been a better idea, because that's exactly how we are going to have to play it.

I'm still waiting long after release to buy this, because for as good as it looks from a graphics and engine standpoint, the always online and stupidly small city sizes really have me questioning how much fun it's going to be. It has to be a better city building game than SC4 was for me to buy it, and SC4 set the bar HIGH.

Pandemic

New screens,
A couple of snapshots of downtown, just after dawn
Done+Load+Materials+%5BDebugRelease%5D+1102013+92750+AM.jpg

Done+Load+Materials+%5BDebugRelease%5D+1102013+92907+AM.jpg

Screens of a few medium sized buildings along the waterfront...
Done+Load+Materials+%5BDebugRelease%5D+1102013+45837+PM.jpg

Done+Load+Materials+%5BDebugRelease%5D+1102013+50107+PM.jpg

Done+Load+Materials+%5BDebugRelease%5D+1102013+50107+PM.jpg

A boulevard with factories on the left and residential buildings on the right
Done+Load+Materials+%5BDebugRelease%5D+1102013+54330+PM.jpg

Done+Load+Materials+%5BDebugRelease%5D+1102013+60719+PM.jpg

Nightime in the city
Done+Load+Materials+%5BDebugRelease%5D+1102013+61837+PM.jpg

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Naughty would be routing the only road in the city right under the sewage dump.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom