• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sinead O'Connor dead at 56

It's a celeb. So my first assumption is suicide or drugs if there's no reason given. If it was a normal course of life (old age or cancer illness) the family or agent would had said so right away.

But we'll see. Maybe I'm wrong.
She was said to have found spiritual peace and converted to Islam, but her son's death may have caused her to spiral into depression and mental problems. I'm doubtful she took drugs, but she was a keen smoker and that could be the cause.

The Skull

Her last tweets were apparently related to the death of her son, so a possible suicide :(. Can't imagine how she must have felt since losing her son. An icon for sure and will be greatly missed. RIP.

That crowd did her dirty. She was on their side and they didn't even know it.
I just don't know why instead of "fight the real enemy" or whatever was said after tearing up a picture of the pope, she didn't specifically state that the pope has been responsible for covering up years of sexually abusive priests. At the time, I think most people didn't even understand why she did what she did, and ultimately that was her own fault.

She was very brave, but very much went about it the wrong way.

belmarduk

She was absolutely right to protest the Catholic Church and the coverup of pedophilia back then.
Maybe people didn't know about it back then or chose not to believe it.
Absolutely brave to do it and a tremendous talent to boot.
RIP.

edbrat

lord knows I don't agree with Morissey much of the time but his tribute slaps:

She was a challenge, and she couldn’t be boxed-up, and she had the courage to speak when everyone else stayed safely silent. She was harassed simply for being herself. Her eyes finally closed in search of a soul she could call her own.

I just don't know why instead of "fight the real enemy" or whatever was said after tearing up a picture of the pope, she didn't specifically state that the pope has been responsible for covering up years of sexually abusive priests. At the time, I think most people didn't even understand why she did what she did, and ultimately that was her own fault.

She was very brave, but very much went about it the wrong way.
You're right. I was young when she was on SNL, but I remember people being upset, thinking she was anti-Christian, which as far as I know, she wasn't. She was anti-abuse and anti-coverup.

She was an ordained priest and Christian up until 2018, when she converted to Islam.

I don't think those boo-ers would've disagreed with her if she had made her perspective more clear and less antagonistic.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
You're right. I was young when she was on SNL, but I remember people being upset, thinking she was anti-Christian, which as far as I know, she wasn't. She was anti-abuse and anti-coverup.

She was an ordained priest and Christian up until 2018, when she converted to Islam.

I don't think those boo-ers would've disagreed with her if she had made her perspective more clear and less antagonistic.
A good massage is half content and half presentation.

Top Bottom