• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SingaporeGAF |OT| Home to Olympic gold

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElyrionX

It's actually pretty hard. I'm not saying this in a "it can't be done" way, but if you claim we can't compare them with Nintendo, then we can't compare them with Microsoft either. Microsoft's biggest advantage going into gaming is that they are first and foremost a multinational software company that is not only fully aware of all international markets and needs, but they also have very strong infrastructural to implement strong standards across all markets based on their experience and existing support in all these regions.

Sony is a fragmented company with interests in hardware electronics, gaming software and hardware, the film industry, etc. It might seem like they have a strong presence all over the world, but their actual business infrastructure doesn't remotely give them the advantage Microsoft has. It's unfortunate, but that's how it is. It doesn't help that the way Sony's leadership and business culture works, the Asian region is under the purview of Japanese business management rather than a local head office for the region which is better positioned to make big decisions.

It's not "hard" for Nintendo to give a shit about more regions and take an active stance in attracting as large an international audience as possible either. They just have to do it. They don't do it because it doesn't seem to be something they are aware of or interested in. In the same way, the sort of company Sony is holds them back. What is easy for Microsoft is hard for everyone else, because you don't build this sort of international business overnight. Microsoft was way ahead of everyone's game in this regard before they even stepped into gaming.

You can argue that Microsoft being a software company was always better positioned to pull off a global digital platform better than Sony. But Microsoft had virtually zero hardware and retail presence in Singapore when they launched OG Xbox and yet they managed to pull it off well. Sony already had significant existing consumer electronics businesses here way before the PS1 and PS2 days with a sizable retail presence. Sony TVs or Walkmans all had English manuals and packaging and user interfaces because they know no one outside of Japan understands their language. It was pure laziness and incompetence from them when it came to the PS1 and PS2. That's why the company doesn't make money on the whole. It's a stupidly inefficient and poorly managed company.

Of course, all of that isn't really surprising since it's coming from the company that appointed Kaz fucking Hirai to the CEO position.

Microsoft is hardly a well-managed company either but it really isn't rocket science in this day and age to create and manage a global marketing and distribution platform. Look at where Steam is and look at how much resources they started out with.

vonStirlitz

Unconfirmed Member
If you aske me, Sony aren't too hot on the hardware side either. We must have got like 20 Pro units and 2 PSVR units islandwide at launch. And the Sony stores don't even carry projectors, meaning the only option is to pay even more insane prices at the Adelphi. I often wonder why we don't get much physical stock, even though it's a tech savvy city, and most of the stock goes through the port anyway.

duckroll

I'm not arguing that Sony does a good job lol, I'm just saying it's not easy to change as a big company and adapt to these things, especially for a Japanese one. The biggest point that I addressing is - Sony's divisions do not talk to each other. When Microsoft went ahead with the Xbox, they leveraged everything they had already established as a company. They could easily make retail and partnership deals here locally because they already sell and and support Windows and Office here. They're not really new to selling hardware either. They have PC accessories which are distributed in computing and gaming stores. This is the big difference. Sony's in-roads in Asia were in consumer electronics like televisions and media players. Products sold in large departmental stores and so on, not smaller electronics retailers which would be the lifeblood of retail gaming. To make things worse, the consumer electronics division in Sony isn't even the Playstation division. It's a totally separate business. This sort of company management makes it very hard for them to be anything like Microsoft.

It's not a defense, it's basically explaining that the way the company is structured leads to these outcomes, and that actually changing the company becomes very hard.

ElyrionX

Haha fair enough. I am surprised that things are still bad in the PS4 era though. Thought they'd work out the kinks by now.

Elessar

Neo Member
Well, I guess it wouldn't hurt to try...

Anyone wanna hire a fresh Computer Science grad with sick Unreal Engine skills? PM me please.

Been searching for two to three months now and it's getting prettttttty depressing.

---

In other news, the Switch is retailing for around $650? How does $299USD become $650 even with a game or two bundled? THIS is how you kill a console (in a region) even before launch.

Latest exchange rate has a conversion cost of 299+60+50 of about 580sgd, so it's actually closer than one might think. I imagine the extra is part of their markup/taxes.

Also, good luck with the job hunt. Hope you can land an opportunity soon.

vonStirlitz

Unconfirmed Member

Anyone wanna hire a fresh Computer Science grad with sick Unreal Engine skills? PM me please.

Been searching for two to three months now and it's getting prettttttty depressing.

Work scene for tech grads really that bad?

you thought about working on something while you search - an app or a project? There must be funding available for good ideas. I'm sure a local group made a really cool independent RPG recently.

Anyway good luck with the search.

Nintendo fans in SG are used to being gouged. This is nothing new.

Tell me about it, I had to pay 200+ for the FE Fates special edition, which was something like 89usd on amazon; That one was daylight robbery. Amazon never ever did restock it afterwards, so I had little choice in the matter.

Gibbo

---

In other news, the Switch is retailing for around $650? How does $299USD become $650 even with a game or two bundled? THIS is how you kill a console (in a region) even before launch.

Have you tried exploring opportunities in the Fintech space?

Elessar

Neo Member
Work scene for tech grads really that bad?

Shockingly bad. Especially for game devs like me and a bunch of my fellow grads. Got rejected a few times due to, and I'm paraphrasing here, "lack of experience". I lack experience because I can't get a job and I can't get a job because I lack experience. *rolls eyes*

You thought about working on something while you search - an app or a project? There must be funding available for good ideas. I'm sure a local group made a really cool independent RPG recently.

Anyway good luck with the search.

I'm actually planning to start something of my own but I do need a job to keep myself afloat (at least for the time being), if this whole game dev thing doesn't work out for me. It's risky.

Thanks!

Have you tried exploring opportunities in the Fintech space?

I major'd in Game Development, so it's pretty hard for me to cross over to Fintech. Being really good in making games mean nothing to other tech industries as I've learnt during my months of job search. Besides, it's probably incredibly mundane compared to what I'm used to doing/applied for in other tech industries.

---

can also import from japan/US...finally region free!

Probably what I'll be doing.

Gibbo

Anyone else here in the process of house hunting in Singapore? I hate how disadvantaged older couples are when It comes to property buying options.
Gf and myself have breached the income ceiling for BTOs and EC, so our only choice is a resale hdb or a condo.

Leaning towards a resale HDBs at the moment but the good locations are usually in a matured estate, with flats less than 60 years left

Anyone else in a similar situation?

Any one knows of some good in-store options to buy a XBox One S?

When I go the MS website it only lists a 1 TB bundle with BF1:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-sg/sto...cid=Cat-Xbox-mosaic_linknav-console-092016-SG

Is that really the only bundle Singapore got? Not only would I prefer a cheap 500 GB Gears bundle like in the US, I already have BF1 on PS4...

Mainly I want to buy it now for its UHD player before Planet Earth 2 releases next month.

If I have to import, I guess my best bet are UK consoles?

adelante

Anyone else here in the process of house hunting in Singapore? I hate how disadvantaged older couples are when It comes to property buying options.
Gf and myself have breached the income ceiling for BTOs and EC, so our only choice is a resale hdb or a condo.

Leaning towards a resale HDBs at the moment but the good locations are usually in a matured estate, with flats less than 60 years left

Anyone else in a similar situation?
Ever considered Sale of Balance Flats? That's how I got my resale flat with a lease of over 60 years, currently having it renovated. A Sales of Balance Flats exercise takes place twice a year, and amongst the listed properties (flats that HDB bought back for various reasons and usually sells them at lower than market value) you might be able to find some resale flats put up for sale.

Eh? I thought lotsa stores have it. Even Lazada have it during launch day. I got mine from Play United. Was a last minute thing too.

Gibbo

Ever considered Sale of Balance Flats? That's how I got my resale flat with a lease of over 60 years, currently having it renovated. A Sales of Balance Flats exercise takes place twice a year, and amongst the listed properties (flats that HDB bought back for various reasons and usually sells them at lower than market value) you might be able to find some resale flats put up for sale.

Never considered that actually. Might explore that! I'm leaning towards the old hdbs near Tiong Bahru estate at the moment

Gibbo

Did anyone get a Switch? Are there any stores with it available still?

Funz at AMk had stock for walk in customers when I collected mine yesterday. You can try calling them.

They even had stock for the neon set when i made an impulse pre order the day before

Viridian6

It's Square Enix region-blocking (and Konami for MGR). Do they not like money...

Anyway, should be able to get a Steam key from a third party retailer.

ElyrionX

Wait. Why are there two versions of Nier on the PSN store? One goes for $82.90 which is available right now. The other is $70 and releases April with a few more language options and preorder bonuses. What a giant clusterfuck.

Gibbo

Wait. Why are there two versions of Nier on the PSN store? One goes for $82.90 which is available right now. The other is $70 and releases April with a few more language options and preorder bonuses. What a giant clusterfuck.

The Chinese one releases in April . Get the English one which has been released.

ElyrionX

The Chinese one releases in April . Get the English one which has been released.

It says the April release has English (with Chinese, Korean and Japanese) and it's $13 cheaper. I can wait so I just bought HZD first and plan to pick up the cheaper version in April.

vonStirlitz

Unconfirmed Member
So my PR application got rejected. I can't moan too much, as it's a privilege to live here, and not a right. But, it's depressing to realise that while I want to live and contribute here, to make it home, and that its the only place in the world that I really felt like home and loved, that the state doesn't want me.

I might have to think about moving, because if I have no security to reside, and no CPF, then it's not economically viable to stay here. It is just a bit shit for my fiancé, as we we're going to plan on marrying here in a couple of years, but may have to move soon. But I don't like the idea, as that means leaving her Mother alone here and she is alone and not getting younger. But, what else can we do. I can't really hang around, with no guarantee of PR (it's not guaranteed for spouses), as it is career and financial suicide to live here without guarantees, but I don't want to take her from her job and aging family. But she understands it perfectly and said she would leave with me. It's just generally crap and made me really down.

So my PR application got rejected. I can't moan too much, as it's a privilege to live here, and not a right. But, it's depressing to realise that while I want to live and contribute here, to make it home, and that its the only place in the world that I really felt like home and loved, that the state doesn't want me.

I might have to think about moving, because if I have no security to reside, and no CPF, then it's not economically viable to stay here. It is just a bit shit for my fiancé, as we we're going to plan on marrying here in a couple of years, but may have to move soon. But I don't like the idea, as that means leaving her Mother alone here and she is alone and not getting younger. But, what else can we do. I can't really hang around, with no guarantee of PR (it's not guaranteed for spouses), as it is career and financial suicide to live here without guarantees, but I don't want to take her from her job and aging family. But she understands it perfectly and said she would leave with me. It's just generally crap and made me really down.

Oh man.....IDK what to say . I guess you can try to appeal. Based on what i saw and heard , its generally easier if you got married and have kids with a Singaporean (with the kids factor possibly being the most important since most of their PR got approved after they have a Singaporean baby ) . I think its a bit too much commitment for some considering that they do not know if they have a future here .

May i ask the age range you are in? I got a feeling the Govt does not want older PR/ New citizens if they do not have a high investor grade net worth to avoid possible future healthcare burdens . Its OK not to reply to my age question.

vonStirlitz

Unconfirmed Member
No worries at all. 40. Approaching old Uncle status.

I get the age thing. It's a pragmatic state. And the policy makes sense. And I know the state needs babies and soldiers. It's still dispiriting though. Basically, my future Mother in law is going to be left alone here, which I don't want, and I'm sure the state don't want, but I can't see any other option.

But then I keep thinking of that poor singaporean woman that was married for years in the U.K. But kicked out as no residency rights. Despite being married. Horrific story. But staying here would be the same gamble.

It's tough.

Man sorry to hear that VonStirlitz. :-(

Well awkward transition question time - does anyone order stuff off of qisahn? Trying to figure out best game / amiibo options for my upcoming move.

Gibbo

I know queuing is a well documented Singapore past time , but I'm becoming increasingly irritated reading about Singaporeans lining up for the most menial of things. Opening of the first Apple shop in Singapore - queue. Last day of Gong Cha - snaking queues. Taiwanese castella cakes - 3-4 hour long queues.

At the end of the day, how people spend their time is up to them. But This whole queuing culture of some people is something I'll never understand

vonStirlitz

Unconfirmed Member
I know queuing is a well documented Singapore past time , but I'm becoming increasingly irritated reading about Singaporeans lining up for the most menial of things. Opening of the first Apple shop in Singapore - queue. Last day of Gong Cha - snaking queues. Taiwanese castella cakes - 3-4 hour long queues.

At the end of the day, how people spend their time is up to them. But This whole queuing culture of some people is something I'll never understand
As a Brit, I admire the ability to queue peacefully.

Honestly, it is a real mark of civility. If you ever brave the free for all chaos in Southern Europe, or the PRC for that matter, you will appreciate the discipline here a bit more.

As a Brit, I admire the ability to queue peacefully.

Honestly, it is a real mark of civility. If you ever brave the free for all chaos in Southern Europe, or the PRC for that matter, you will appreciate the discipline here a bit more.

I think he's not criticizing the process itself (which lack thereof can indeed tell you a lot of about the people in a country :p ) but that Singaporeans apparently don't see it as a waste of their time to line up for ages for the most mundane things.
Doesn't even have to be new shops, I see the lines for some restaurants in the evening. If I have to wait for more than 5-10 min just to get seated, I just go to one of the 20 other places next to it.

I guess you could argue it's a sign of determination :D

Especially the food determination can get a bit tiring when you and your Singaporean friends are on vacation and you HAVE to drive/walk for ages to that one restaurant featured in some blog haha

Rmagnus

Banned
Man if you run an advertisement about hiring and state only Chinese people are allowed you gonna get a shit storm yet somehow it is ok that only Malay people are allowed to run for president. This country makes no damn sense sometimes.

1) you make it sound as if it's uniquely Singaporean when other countries like Japan does it as well. Heck, have you not seen Black Friday in America?

2) would you rather they crowd and block the place?

ElyrionX

Man if you run an advertisement about hiring and state only Chinese people are allowed you gonna get a shit storm yet somehow it is ok that only Malay people are allowed to run for president. This country makes no damn sense sometimes.

It's pretty fucking stupid and right up there with appointing fucking generals to run what are supposed to be privatized entities.

spiritfox

There has been a lot of shit both online and off. The government just doesn't care.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom