• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skies of Arcadia and Shenmue might be headed to XBLA/PSN

Prezhulio

god i loved skies of arcadia when i played it on dc, i'd probably pick up the crudest of ports on psn.

give me a portable version sega please :/

Dragon

Banned
I tried playing the GameCube version of Skies and the battles seemed to take forever. It was early on in the game, perhaps I was playing it incorrectly but damn it was a slog.

god i loved skies of arcadia when i played it on dc, i'd probably pick up the crudest of ports on psn.

give me a portable version sega please :/

If Sony were smart they'd release it on the Vita as well.

Yager

Banned
I tried playing the GameCube version of Skies and the battles seemed to take forever. It was early on in the game, perhaps I was playing it incorrectly but damn it was a slog.

Well, at leats you didn't play the DC version. There were TOO MANY random battles everywhere. Anyway, loved the game.

Sophia

I already picked up Skies of Arcadia Legends for like $10 at the local flea market, but I have yet to see a copy of Shenmune 1/2 show up. Would be absolutely wonderful if it got an HD XBLA/PSN release.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I'll buy Skies and Shenmue.

<3 Sega <3

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I'd buy them if they were decent ports. Never played either and hear Skies is really good.

I can't wait for Shenmue to be ported. I'm so looking forward to shitty threads like, "Did anyone ever really think Shenmue looked good?" "LTTP: Shenmue (this is supposed to be a masterpiece?!)" "Can we admit Shenmue was only good because of its graphics?"

If you're the kind of person who whines about the visuals in a 12-year-old game not "holding up," maybe you just shouldn't play older games. Just saying.

Yes! Best of both worlds.

I can enjoy games and hate visuals. Heck I enjoy Bethesda games!

But SoA visuals are rough even for last gen rpg standards.

SparkTR

If they release Shenmue in widescreen, I'll buy it. If not, I've already played my copy in HD on NullDC, and it looked fantastic.

watkinzez

No game has ever captured the spirit of adventure quite like Skies of Arcadia did, except perhaps The Wind Waker. Probably because it cribbed from the best adventure fiction, but at least it wore its influences on its sleeve. Would buy, or just play the GCN version again if they lock out the extra content.

i will eat them all up if they put some effort in. these games deserve the best treatment.

and while you're at it, please reprint the eternal arcadia soundtrack cd, thank you!

Raide

Yes to both. Also, make sure you have Shenmue 1&2 ready to download.

Shenmue fans... prove your love by buying the game multiple times. We must Uber Kickstart Shenmue 3!

KageMaru

If these are released, I'll double dip on both the ps3 and 360, just like I did with Daytona and plan to do with JSR.

Please be true.

SGRU

Two of the best games on DC, will buy with no doubt.

Just make it cross-play so I can play it in Vita!

I never got to play shenmue so I hope the rumour that it's coming out on psn is true. However I am also aware that shenmue fans get jerked around all the time so I am trying not to get hyped.

FLEABttn

Banned
If Jet Set Radio HD is an indication of the effort that Sega is going to put into Skies of Arcadia, I don't think we'll need to worry about the Dreamcast version music and the Legends content or random battle distribution.

Also, thank you based Sega.

I'd buy them if they were decent ports. Never played either and hear Skies is really good.

It was a very good JRPG for its time. That's not to say it isn't good now, but people talk about random battles like they're cancer these days, when I really think that isn't the case.

Avadon

Neo Member
OMG please release them on the Vita! Shenmue and SoA on the go would be HEAVEN!! and with cross play!!!!

o, first post here, hi gaf :D

Jay Sosa

I'll buy Shenmue for sure (to convince them that some people might be interested in another one) and SoA if it's the Legend version. But I'll seriously doubt that.

They need to make sequels instead of porting these very old games from console to console

Maybe they just want to test the waters?

My DC is so goddamn loud plus I never bought a VGA cable so I'm looking forward to playing both in higher res.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
if they release skies of arcadia on live or psn. it will just but this gen rpgs to shame really bad.

the amount of extras you can do throughout the whole game and not once your finished is amazing.

Slermy

Legends content + DC sound quality + improved draw distance please, one of my favourite RPGs deserves it

This, this, this.

The only acceptable port of my favorite RPG of all time. Anything less will not be worthy of my money. Widescreen support would be nice too, but I'd be willing to live without it as long as they get the music right.

Kudos if they incorporate the Cupil VMU stuff somehow.

Josh7289

I will probably shed real life tears of joy if both these games end up being released and the ports are done 100% well.

IrishNinja

Be prepared:

shenmugen.png

ugh, god i hope not.

"Hey! A winning can!"

*go into shop*
come on space harrier come on space harrier come on space harrier

"I'll take this one."
*get tails figurine*

oh man, this takes me back! cant remember if it was that one or opa-opa that gave me trouble. i dont recall ever getting alex kidd either.

The person(s) who told you Yakuza and Shenmue are anything alike lied to you.

so glad someone else is here to say it. swear to god, if these see re-release, ill jump all over the new OT and try to find a more elegant poster to outline the differences/proper expectations from both.

Obviously to build interest for the sequels, right?

...aw man, i wanna believe. i really do.

Sophia

It was a very good JRPG for its time. That's not to say it isn't good now, but people talk about random battles like they're cancer these days, when I really think that isn't the case.

If you're playing the Legends version, it's still fantastic. The random battles aren't bad in that version.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
More proof that the best thing about this gen is getting to play classic games in HD... 2 of my favorite games of all time, can't wait!

KageMaru

They need to make sequels instead of porting these very old games from console to console

With how much the market has expanded since the DC days, it would be best to bring today's buyers up to date before releasing a late sequel.

Not saying that's what they are doing but it would be the most logical course to go if they ever plan to make sequels.

Derrick01

Banned
I'd be interested in trying out SoA. I keep hearing about it but I never played it in my jrpg days because it was on DC and then gamecube, and I never even heard of the game until this gen. I looked for it in various web stores but it's too expensive now.

Hopefully random battles and load times aren't too bad in this HD port. Nothing can kill my interest quicker than a combination of bad load times and too many random battles. It's why I stopped playing FF9 on PSN midway through recently.

Christian

Wow. How perfectly suited are BOTH of these games for awesome trophy/achievement lists? So much exploring and extra stuff to do. So awesome.

1726009-shut_up_and_take_my_money_super.jpg

x2

God... Please... Make it so. I own both on DC, but I'd rebuy both for PSN if that means Sega will see that fans still exist for both these franchises. I mean, Valkyria Chronicles and Yakuza are amazing, but I want Skies and Shenmue back so badly

I was just thinking about how I'd like a Kickstarter campaign for Skies of Arcadia 2. Somehow I lost my copy, so I'll definitely get it on PSN. Hopefully it will do well enough for Sega to consider a sequel.

Tizoc

Last year there was a report that claimed that Sega would be putting a lot more effort into their DC ports starting with JSR. JSR HD apparently runs at 60fps, 720p, widescreen and has the popup removed.

Intersting, hope that's true and that Shenmue will get a good treatment. ...but refresh my memory, I once read about something regarding the Dreamcast and Windows 98, but that was a long time ago; are there any specifics to this?

Top Bottom