• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skies of Arcadia and Shenmue might be headed to XBLA/PSN

Oh god yes please Skies of Arcadia. I still have my DC copy somewhere but my bitch ex-girlfriend stole my GameCube copy which was easily the definitive version. I assume an XBLA/PSN port will be of the superior (lower encounter rate, extra areas) Legends version that was on GameCube.

IrishNinja

man, I still need to play through Shenmue 2. Only got a few hours into it (did finish 1 though)

cmon sc, get on top of this man

Yeah, the problem with Skies of Arcadia isn't that it has random battles, it's that you win every single random battle in the entire game by casting Lambda Burst but they still all take two minutes apiece.

oh man you just told everybody my secret strategy, dick move charlequin

Shenmue Defense Force checking in.

didn't see you at the meeting, soldier! be sure to put the banner on your avatar.

I will buy Skies with or without Legends stuff. Then, I will make my friends buy it whether they want to or not.

Then they will make Skies of Arcadia 2.

aaand maybe I'll get Shenmue just to see what all the hullabaloo is about.

PKrockin

I remember getting really hyped for SoA:L after reading a Nintendo Power article. I even bought it at launch (rare for me at the time), but the random turn-based battles turned me off and I stopped playing after a few hours.

Out of curiosity, why does everyone love it so much? The story and setting? It's been 8 years and I can hardly remember a thing about it, lol

I hope it does get a PSN/XBLA release and sells a megaton, because I would definitely buy a sequel and give the series another shot with an open mind, especially if it was on a portable.

Good, those that do purchase SoA will have the memories refreshed on how horrible a game it truly was.

I'm not sure I want to pay just to be reminded how many fucking loopers I have to fight. Seriously, why don't people just send money to Sega? I don't think they'll be making a sequel to either series even if Sega makes money by releasing downloadable versions of the same games.

I would buy both instantly.

I would also buy Sonic Adventure. I don't know why I haven't yet but, Sega, if you see this - there is a +1 Sonic sale in this for you in addition to these 2 titles.

Also, I honestly was day-dreaming about this a day or 2 ago...

ajim

1: Awesome setting.
2: Best overworld ever made in a JRPG (well, that title goes to Xenoblade now, but still).
3: Amazing sense of adventure.
4: Discoveries.

It's not the best, but these are excellent reasons. Don't forget the characters are simply charming and fun to see grow together.

Would love to see what they could do with a sequel with todays consoles.

Yay, I can eventually have fun playing Space Harrier on XBLA. Yeah, still on the 3rd disk of Shenmue on my Dreamcast and still wonderring why I should continue.

Ooccoo

I still wonder why no other developer tried flying ship battles after SOA. At least, not that I've heard of.

I'd love a game that takes the best of GC and DC Skies of Arcadia.

I want the new GC content, but don't censor the game. Kids don't smoke because Gilder smokes. They smoke because they're surrounded by dumb adults that think Gilder's smoking will make them start smoking.

EDIT:
If there is a god, Rieko will work with ImagEpoch again to do Skies 2.

inky

Great news. SoA is probably one of my favourite games of all time, and one of the few JRPGs I was able to stomach (together with Grandia 2 and FF XII) to the very end. Such a light-hearted, fun, memorable adventure even with all the random battles and anime looking girls. Will buy both of course.

There are so many small things in Shenmue you can do. Random drunk dialing is fun and rarely leads to arrest in this world! I talked to every single person in that damn game. Every badly acted one of them.

Johnny

Any hint of a Shenmue port brings us closer to the possibility of new chapters in the series. If this thing actually does come out and does well, Sega may just revive the franchise. I'd even be okay with short, downloadable chapters, like Sonic the Hedgehog 4, only appealing.

If it was the Skies Gamecube version, I would be so grateful, but it's probably just the DC port (not that that would be too shabby at all).

Is anyone else getting rid of their DC with these digital releases?

I think I'm going to get rid of my DC this summer. I have a lot of nostalgia for it, but having gotten rid of my entire legacy console collection but DC, I think it is time to let it go. Since I'm in anti-collector mode I just don't want to keep storing the old hardware. And on a more personal level, it's a final total letting go of that era for me.

Pfffttt. Never getting rid of mine.

man, I still need to play through Shenmue 2. Only got a few hours into it (did finish 1 though)

Yes you do.

I'd definitely much rather play through Shenmue 1 rather than the sequel. The second one lost some of it's charm I felt.

Why would you turn down either? :|

Yakuza is the closest you can get to Shenmue, it's true that they differ in quite a few aspects (Yakuza is much more action oriented while Shenmue was very chill more like an adventure) but to me Yakuza is the only franchise that is somewhat similar and honestly that's good enough for me.

How are the games at all similar? You control Japanese guys who are martial artists and who walk around modern-day Japan (or in Shenmue's case, 80s Japan), and some of the character designs look superficially similar... but that's about it. The gameplay is totally different.

Jay Sosa

How are the games at all similar? You control Japanese guys who are martial artists and who walk around modern-day Japan (or in Shenmue's case, 80s Japan), and some of the character designs look superficially similar... but that's about it. The gameplay is totally different.

Just because Shenmue is littered with QTE doesn't make the gamplay totally different. Like I said Yakuza relies a lot more on fighting (which is also a big part in Shenmue) while you do a lot more investigating in Shenmue. "The closest you can get" (to quote myself) doesn't mean it's the same game with different characters it literally means it's the closest you can get.

And it's not like I made that up myself. Anyone I know who played both and people all over the internet seem to agree. Just type "Yakuza spiritual successor" in google and be amazed.

Out of curiosity, why does everyone love it so much?

It feels very adventure-esque, like Suikoden 2, it looked amazing back then and the characters were all very likeable. Plus it was one of only 2 (good) RPGs for one of the most beloved consoles in recent history, I think that plays a big part as well.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Hope this is true; because I'd love to play them again. With Shenmue 2 I'd hope they at least include the original japanese voices, and maybe do the same for Shenmue 1!

Let's not start massaging their nuts just yet, this is pretty good but they could still stand to do a lot better.

As compared to who? They are certainly better than Namco, Square, Capcom and many of the other companies when it comes to digital releases of their back catalog. The only company that equal them is Konami.

Would buy the shit out of shenmue. The game crashes after I enter that chinese travel agency :/

edit:

where did this come from, I randomly pressed page forward and ended up here:

http://i40.tiny pic.com/6s3uhi.png

I'm surprised so many people on GAF of all people like SOA which was pure tripe. Maybe I was tool old when I played it.

The random battles are not the problem. It never was, to focus on the random battle rate would be silly. The game was pure-ass water due to its cringe worthy, embarrassing , insipid juvenile story and the cast of characters that jumped straight of an animu-fruity loops box. Horrible vomit inducing trash, why does Sega keep regurgitating this bile?

I now know why, because people actually accept this anime trope trash.

I'm surprised so many people on GAF of all people like SOA which was pure tripe. Maybe I was tool old when I played it.

The random battles are not the problem. It never was, to focus on the random battle rate would be silly. The game was pure-ass water due to its cringe worthy, embarrassing , insipid juvenile story and the cast of characters that jumped straight of an animu-fruity loops box. Horrible vomit inducing trash, why does Sega keep regurgitating this bile?

I now know why, because people actually except this anime trope trash.

Watch-Out-We-Got-a-Badass-Over-Here.png

GavinGT

Banned

This isn't apathy.

I don't really see any real reasons on why you disliked the game other than "it's too animu". I just see a lot of random shit talking. Hell, I couldn't play past the first hour and I think your post is ridiculous.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
If there's any chance of SoA being a sales success to put a sequel on the table then I will pay a copy for each of my friends who have an XBOX. I would kill to see that world again taking the advantage of todays tech.

Jay Sosa

Wait..you played a JRPG and were surprised the characters were to "anime"?

Are you serious?

TEJ

Wait..you played a JRPG and were surprised the characters were to "anime"?

Are you serious?

while I don't agree with what he said towards SoA, sometimes the {bad} anime influences can be far too strong in a game. I don't think that's the case with SoA, and good anime influences can help a game.

while I don't agree with what he said towards SoA, sometimes the {bad} anime influences can be far too strong in a game. I don't think that's the case with SoA, and good anime influences can help a game.

They can be either good or bad. Grandia III was a great example of terribad anime influence. Stuff like "These mushrooms are so cute!" and most of the dialogue that chick spouted. It's one of the reasons I never finished the game.

McNum

Ooh, Skies of Arcadia? Yes, please.

I am fully expecting the Legends content to be DLC much like Sonic Adventure had DX as DLC. (Pay real money to have Piastol kick your ass repeatedly!) Besides, didn't the original DC Skies of Arcadia have some online only content, too?

I don't care much either way for Shenmue, might buy it for novelty's sake, but I'd buy a re-released Skies of Arcadia any time, and any and all DLC that comes with it. Easily one of my favorite JRPGs. It's just so darn... happy! Can't help but make me smile. And rage in some of its fights, then smile again when Vyse quips "Well that was easy!" afterwards.

TEJ

They can be either good or bad. Grandia III was a great example of terribad anime influence. Stuff like "These mushrooms are so cute!" and most of the dialogue that chick spouted. It's one of the reasons I never finished the game.

Yeah.

I like the art and designs in Cowboy Bebop and Akira. those are the kinds of anime influences I want to see in a game, not the "moe am i kawai uguu~ underaged panty flash" kind.

Shion

I now know why, because people actually accept this anime trope trash.

Because JRPGs are known for having amazing well written stories and deep characters, right?

Just because Shenmue is littered with QTE doesn't make the gamplay totally different. Like I said Yakuza relies a lot more on fighting (which is also a big part in Shenmue) while you do a lot more investigating in Shenmue. "The closest you can get" (to quote myself) doesn't mean it's the same game with different characters it literally means it's the closest you can get.

Again, saying Shenmue is like Yakuza is misleading because the two series play nothing like one another. Yakuza's fighting system is far more simplistic, and combat is a much bigger gameplay focus. Shenmue is largely about talking to people, observing the world and the little details in it, watching people go about their daily routines, stuff like that. Hours can go by without any combat. In contrast, in Yakuza there aren't really any details to notice. You just wander around the crowded-but-barren city streets (none of the NPCs are interesting or differentiated from one another) being dragged into random battles. In Shenmue, the world exists to be explored and appreciated, whereas in Yakuza there's almost no real "exploration." Outside of its mostly skin-deep "open world" trappings, the game world is much more utilitarian, existing mainly to shuttle you from one plot point to another, tossing some items, experience points, and fetch quests at you along the way. (And don't get me wrong. I LOVE Yakuza.)

It's easy to say, "Well you investigate stuff in this game, and in this other game you investigate stuff too, so the games are alike!" But you investigate things in plenty of games, and almost all games revolve around combat.

I mean, it's obvious why people compare the two series to one another, but aside from largely superficial similarities, they're really nothing alike. Telling someone who has never played one of the series (or either) that they are similar is misleading.

And it's not like I made that up myself. Anyone I know who played both and people all over the internet seem to agree. Just type "Yakuza spiritual successor" in google and be amazed.

Oh I know you didn't make it up. I see the same nonsense repeated over and over on GAF. But a lot of people thinking something doesn't make it true. Yakuza is not really anything like Shenmue.

Jay Sosa

well i cant really argue with anything you said nighttrekker so..ill just admit defeat and go back to reading the cantona bio.

Top Bottom